Canada bidding for FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015

tovan1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No offence to Canadian soccer fans but CSA is 50 years behind Hockey Canada.

As far as WJHC is concerned, the money made is largely because of the exposure brought to the tournament over the last ten years by TSN.

In this respect, CSA stands to benefit greatly, I'd expect, from TSN's increased presence on the soccer scene. If they can convince TSN to carry more women's international soccer over the next 4 years, it should help a lot.

As far as WJHC is concerned, the money made is largely because of the exposure brought to the tournament over the last ten years by TSN.

In this respect, CSA stands to benefit greatly, I'd expect, from TSN's increased presence on the soccer scene. If they can convince TSN to carry more women's international soccer over the next 4 years, it should help a lot.

The next WJHC is a year away in 2012 is already sold out in Edmonton/Calgary

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/159202/la_id/1.htm

What are the CSA events...still under discussion?

We're maybe a year away from host cities being announced.

I hope that FIFA doesn't visit Moncton now with over 300cm of snow on the ground. It wouldn't look pretty for soccer.

Gonna be some patience waiting for host cities

I read something this morning which said women's soccer participation numbers have doubled since the U19 in 2002. And that was just eight years and a youth tournament.

Hockey may be our men's game, but soccer could be our womens. Despite our climate, size, funding, etc.

Halifax does not have any stadium yet. Victoria ´s Stadium is too small.

What about Winnipeg? is there a suitable stadium? Maybe the Canad Inns Stadium?

Winnipeg is building a brand new football stadium out at the University of Manitoba. It has started construction and should be ready in 2012. Live construction web cam link: http://www.bluebombers.com/page/construction-webcam

I don't suppose it's possible for a big chunk of tickets to be given to the local Voyageurs sections to sort out for either 2014 or 2015?

If not, we should coordinate on here as to which section(s) we're buying tickets in, sit/stand all together, and show Canadians what the Voyageurs are all about. Big, big opportunity for us here.

I don't suppose it's possible for a big chunk of tickets to be given to the local Voyageurs sections to sort out for either 2014 or 2015?

If not, we should coordinate on here as to which section(s) we're buying tickets in, sit/stand all together, and show Canadians what the Voyageurs are all about. Big, big opportunity for us here.

That is a very good question. CSA probably doesn't have an answer to that yet but would be nice if 1 section for all Canadian games is, at minimum, set aside for V's to buy up.

TSN doesn't likely need a lot of convincing to show the games. They've got 2 channels....they have the space in their schedule to slot some games in. Its the viewers that need to be convinced to sit down and watch. Not a slam on women's soccer but reality is that the TV audience for WNT is very small and production costs are high. Having said that, it would be hard to fathom that, in the lead up to 2015, there won't be some extra emphasis placed on getting their games on TV

Do you think they will base 4 teams in the same city for first round matches? That's the way they use to do it but I notice that Canada's first round matches this year are in three different cities. That's fine for a smaller country like Germany that has a superb train system, but it wouldn't do for fans of a particular side to have their first game in say Montreal and then their second game in Vancouver. Second and third round matches could move around with the semi-final and finals scheduled for the largest facility.

T

TSN doesn't likely need a lot of convincing to show the games. They've got 2 channels....they have the space in their schedule to slot some games in. Its the viewers that need to be convinced to sit down and watch. Not a slam on women's soccer but reality is that the TV audience for WNT is very small and production costs are high. Having said that, it would be hard to fathom that, in the lead up to 2015, there won't be some extra emphasis placed on getting their games on TV

It's my instinct that the growth of the women's NT audience will be as much tied to the growth of mainstream media coverage for soccer in general as it will be for the specific team, and to that end the TSN program for MLS is likely to help greatly. Rising tide floating boats and all that. ;)

I know it tough to compare the HC marketing machine but it's not like the CSA hasn't hosted FIFA level events before ie U19(U20)WWC, U20 MWC cup and etc. Also, it's not like Canada lacks people who have the skills to do large events like this either. My question is why is the CSA the center of the universe when it comes to running events like this. The events should be at arms length and away from the CSA Perkie Boys to be able to have a chance to be profitable. Remember both the prior events mention above didn't make any money.

It's Toronto own fault - or rather Tourism Toronto for some reason wasn't even interested in hosting one match such as the opening or even u20 with no conflict with PanAm. But being the centre of the universe, you would think Tourism TO would have thought TO could handle 2 mid-tier events.

Who cares if TO isn't involved?

For purely selfish reasons, I do.

But I have to say it's actually a little refreshing that we won't be involved. Ottawa and Montreal are close enough for a road trip, although who really needs another excuse to hit the road in the summer? Hoping that the cities involved can make something special out of it.

I am definitely going to take in some games. The CTV Toronto news is saying that Toronto may still get one match.

In a round about way, this might be the best thing to happen to the Pan-Am Games. With tons of soccer fans from around the world coming to Canada to see the Women's World Cup, you might see some of them taking in the Pan-Am Games as well. I would think that the soccer games at the Pan-Ams will be well attended. It is just going to make it difficult for me to be in two places at once. I want to take in the Pan-Am baseball and basketball competitions, but I also want to take in some of the Women's World Cup. Here's hoping that the soccer games in Edmonton, don't conflict with baseball and basketball in Toronto.

I am definitely going to take in some games. The CTV Toronto news is saying that Toronto may still get one match.
Well if that happens I hope it's not Canada. Because A: they don't deserve it for the reasons above and B: it didn't work out too well when Canada had to split games in Toronto and Edmonton at the U20.

Archived