Toronto vs Salt Lake [R]

jonovision

I watched the match this evening and thought 0-0 was a fair result, though Toronto were a bit fortunate to escape with the point with Salt Lake hitting two posts in the final 10 minutes.

A few thoughts:

- Thought DDR was uncharacteristically poor. It seems he's picked up a few tricks after playing in Panama: going to ground after minimal contact.

- Apart from de Guzman, nobody in the TFC midfield was capable of controlling a pass and making another without coughing up the ball.

- After seeing Attakora/Harden at midweek and Cann/Harden today, perhaps Cann is the man that keeps this TFC defense solid.

- Gargan and Garcia both did a good job getting forward down the wings. Gargan also provided a lot with his long throws. Only problem is Gargan was the man burned on both of the goalpost chances (Wingert and Will Johnson) for Salt Lake.

- Could O'Brian White and Jacob Peterson be any more useless? It might be time to cut the cord with White after the season. After all, he's not exactly a young prospect any longer, and we are likely seeing all that he can offer.

And more generally, on stadiums and camera angles:

- It's too bad there is no way to design the stadium to minimize the effect of the wind. Almost every match at BMO seems to be quite windy, and it affects the quality of play on the pitch very negatively.

- Having watched this match and Montreal-Rochester last night, I found that I was constantly bothered by the low angle and too-close feel of the main camera at BMO. The angle at Saputo, I find, is much better as you get a better chance to see the whole field and to watch plays develop.

At this point, with the playoffs getting even unlikelier, perhaps Preki should put all his eggs in the CCL basket...

- Gargan and Garcia both did a good job getting forward down the wings. Gargan also provided a lot with his long throws. Only problem is Gargan was the man burned on both of the goalpost chances (Wingert and Will Johnson) for Salt Lake.

Both had good pops from distance, as well, but I have to say that Gargan's 1 v 1 defending left something to be desired, to put it politely. That's probably the best match I have seen Garcia play.

In the battle of the hairdoos, I thought DeGuzman outplayed one of my favourite players this evening, Sideshow Bob Beckerman: maybe he's just out of juice after a run of consecutive matches but he was uncharacteristically off kilter this evening. However, Beckerman's supporting cast made some good chances.

I lost count of how many times LaBrocca got caught in possession in the first half; he didn't appear comfortable playing centrally but after the subs he improved in the second half, including that really nice pass he gave to Mista for his opportunity.

There's no real creativity on this team up front, aside from Mista and the little bit we have seen of Maicon.

Especially evident when DeRo has a stinker and the rest of the squad can't cope. DeGuzman's presence, Caan's defending and Stefan Frei's goaltending are the main reasons why TFC has not lost more games.

DeRo will always be DeRo he is a real MLS star and hall of famer.

Can someone give a rational reason why Jacob Peterson is still on the team, let alone brought on to play? Against NY and again on Saturday, he showed he is chronically unable to control a pass without it bouncing off his foot and out of play. We'll not get into the shots taken that are even not on target. Meanwhile Robbie Keane sits on the Spurs bench unable to get a game; too bad we can't have him on loan.

The Fat Lady is not warming up... not yet at least

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/08/fat-lady/

In this edition of the blog I talk about how it is not time (not yet at least) to throw in the towel, how Ty Harden surprised, how TFC is still not firing on all cylinders and what is the one thing that more than anything else will decide the outcome of the season.

Comments are always welcome.

Certain players just are not good enough. It's amazing that we used to be hoping OBW would opt for Canada. Now I hope he not only plays for jamaica but starts against us in an important game.

I literally laughed out loud.

Besides winning that penalty during the end of the home opener, what has he done this season?

Can someone give a rational reason why Jacob Peterson is still on the team, let alone brought on to play? Against NY and again on Saturday, he showed he is chronically unable to control a pass without it bouncing off his foot and out of play.

If you believe a few disgruntled Chivas fans, it's because the coach likes guys who march in line with the general. Much easier to find guys that will do that when they are of limited talent.

Now, Mo Johnston chronically mis-managing the salary cap meaning we have less cap-room to make signings didn't help much either.

and underrate Cann....

But let me say that Nana, for a 21 years old CB, has a lot of potential.

When you've got two fullbacks who are primarily stay at home, with the flank midfielders being more defensive in orientation, and essentially two d-mids in front of the back line, then perhaps we underrate the defensive scheme TFC is using? Throw out the home loss to NYRB and for the most part this is a hard team to break down defensively.

The back line seem very well organized as evidenced by the number of offside traps they have pulled off.

Archived