Countdown: TFC @ Deportivo Arabe Unido

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are describing half of all fouls.

And if half of all fouls ended up with straight reds, each team would be down to about 3 players by halftime. We'll have to agree to disagree on this but I'll just add that if the Ref is not going to give a red for the two foot challenge against Nana (who's in complete possession of the ball when the foul occurs, unlike one which is a 50/50 challege for a loose ball in the box), he can't give even a yellow (never mind a red) for the foul here - at least, not if he wants to be seen as being the slightest bit consistent in his decisions.

In any event, here's Paul James take on the game, which I agree with for the most part (it has been awhile since I've done that with a Paul James article):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/james-on-soccer/lost-opportunity-for-tfc-in-champions-league-encounter/article1684288/?cmpid=rss1

I'm surprise no one mentionned the tackle on Nana after their goal. I thought it should've been a straight red.

Very true and I haven't forgotten that one. To reiterate my earlier point, this game best illustrated the kind of officiating that I despise most and that the constant pattern of calls that clearly demonstrate favoritism toward one side. Its the kind of stuff you see in international play but rarely if ever in league play. Including MLS.

In league play, yes refs make mistakes but one bad call should not really cost you. Heck, even in the NFL there are a ton of bad calls by the ref (especially pass interference). But 15-20 major and minor bad calls against one side will definitely influence the outcome in soccer. We saw that in 2002 whereby an average side like Korea can beat a power house like Spain or Italy.

Funny thing is that cruz azul did the samething against toronto fc. Bring a B squad to face a "weak team" (tfc) and they got beaten.

Preki goes to panama , thinking arabe unido is a weak club and his B side should be good enough to beat them . result , TFC gets beaten

TFC B TEAM < ARABE UNIDO

TFC A TEAM > ARABE UNIDO

TFC A TEAM > CRUZ AZUL B TEAM

TFC A TEAM < CRUZ AZUL A TEAM

Erm, I am glad I am not the only one who realizes Preki and TFC not only don't care about the CCL as much as some on here do. (Quite rightly too! Did you guys really expect him to put CCL ahead of making the MLS playoffs for the first time?)

Galarcep: Toronto FC was in a similar situation, though you can understand the Canadian club’s situation a bit more. TFC has never made the MLS playoffs, and in Canada that would mean much more than some success in a little-known regional tournament. So Preki did what he thought was right and rested his key players.

So why should TFC shoulder some of the burden for Tuesday’s loss? Regardless of the circumstances the team faces in MLS, Toronto made the decision to field a weak squad against a beatable opponent in CONCACAF Champions League. Yes, the referee issued a pair of questionable red cards, and penalized TFC far more regularly than Arabe Unido, but the reality is Arabe Unido was outplaying a makeshift TFC lineup and looked like the better side before a red card ever flashed.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/Galarcep-MLS-clubs-need-to-get-focused-in-CONCACAF-Champions-League

Seriously guys, relax. Playoffs are more important.

^ You really expect TFC to make the playoffs? It's pretty much up in the air. On the flip side, a win in Panama on Tuesday would have put them in the driver's seat to make the playoff round in the CONCACAF champions league. I think that the Impact and the soccer fans in Montreal showed that there is a big upside to doing that, despite what some Yank bloggers think, with their myopic and spectacularly ignorant view of anything east/north/south/west of their borders.

^ You really expect TFC to make the playoffs? It's pretty much up in the air. On the flip side, a win in Panama on Tuesday would have put them in the driver's seat to make the playoff round in the CONCACAF champions league. I think that the Impact and the soccer fans in Montreal showed that there is a big upside to doing that, despite what some Yank bloggers think, with their myopic and spectacularly ignorant view of anything east/north/south/west of their borders.

+1 Attending the Impact-Santos Laguna CCL Quarterfinal in 2009 in a packed Olympic stadium, was definitely one of, if not, the best moment of my life as a soccer supporter..

Think of playing a Mexican team in a packed Skydome for a chance to win a continental title..

^^ I agree. While making the playoffs is important, Tuesday's game was a one-time chance to grab 3 points that would have been there for the taking if the right TFC team were on the field. It simply will not be the same when we go to CA and RSL.

The problem is that it didn't have to be an either/or issue until Preki made it one. The away games to CA and RSL could still have been the B squad matches, and with good home results we would have been through. But by throwing away Tuesday night's opportunity, we lost out and now probably need to get results when we are far less likely to do so.

My issue isn't about squad rotation or even about competition proritization. It is about the fact that Tuesday was the most available away win, yet Preki chose that game to mail it in. Regardless of the need to prioritize and rotate the squad, that game was not the one to do it. Fail.

Where did I say I expect TFC to make the playoffs, Ed? I said making it is more important to TFC than CCL - not being in the organization or coaching staff I couldn't be sure of that of course; but, let's be real - with that starting line-up what other confirmation do you need?

Do you actually think making a run in CCL would be bigger in Canada than the MLS playoffs? 50,000 at Impact game besides.

Dyslexic: I agree with you re: squad selection.

Archived