Marcus Haber to St. Johnstone on loan

good - we were in danger of having no canucks in the SPL this year - I think it's a good style of football for him but wonder if a loan to Lg 1 might not have been better as I can't see him getting that many first team minutes - this would have been a good move for Jackson, for instance, but I'm not sure if Haber is at this level yet

"The bright spot in a match that would soon descend into a friendly fairytale farce was the cool finish from new signing Marcus Haber which brought St Johnstone back into it. A through ball into his path from Craig and the Canadian striker, who was signed on a season-long loan from West Bromwich Albion on Friday, raced up field and one-on-one with Johnstone, calmly slotted home.

That was in the 63rd minute and four minutes later Haber was then upended in the box and St Johnstone were afforded the chance to level."

http://sport.scotsman.com/english/St-Johnstone-2--3.6450709.jp?articlepage=2

good - we were in danger of having no canucks in the SPL this year - I think it's a good style of football for him but wonder if a loan to Lg 1 might not have been better as I can't see him getting that many first team minutes - this would have been a good move for Jackson, for instance, but I'm not sure if Haber is at this level yet

Even though most teams in the bottom half of the SPL would probably struggle at League One level? St Johnstone play in a town called Perth with a population of only 50,000 or so surrounded by a rural farming area and have a hardcore support of about 2000. They are comparable in financial terms to a strong Conference or weak League Two club in England in other words. Hereford United come to mind as an English club from a similar sort of town, who are roughly comparable in stature within the game. Although he will be playing in a top-tiered league, Scotland only has a tenth of the population of England so the SPL is not directly comparable to the Premiership (only two clubs Rangers and Celtic could survive at that level and with each passing season that's becoming a lot more open to debate than it used to be). St Johnstone, like Exeter City, were probably carefully selected as a place where WBA management think he should be able to start regularly.

It'll be a good experience for Marcus. No St. Johnstone aren't exactly giant killers (as has been mentioned, they're one of those clubs which rely on the traveling supporters for probably 1/2 their annual gate revenue) but they'll be facing some pretty hard competition over the season and Haber can only benefit from that. It's good that the loan is for the full season for the odvious reason that it becomes worth while to work Haber into the attacking plans. That is to say the club can see real returns on the benefit of Haber succeeding on the pitch. He isn't leaving come Christmas and they're left starting from scratch.

Think the majority of British clubs would absolutely love to have Celtic's gate revenue. Also think most EPL clubs couldn't fathom operating on what the club receives in TV revenue and the gap keeps widening. Strange situation but it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Marcus Haber gettin teased on stereotypes

Marcus Haber: New teammates might call me a lumberjack but I'll give Hearts the chop

Aug 14 2010 Greig Thomas

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/st-johnstone/2010/08/14/marcus-haber-new-teammates-might-call-me-a-lumberjack-but-i-ll-give-hearts-the-chop-86908-22486860/

CANADIAN Marcus Haber is a chip off the old block.

But since sealing a season-long loan deal from West Brom, the St Johnstone striker has had to laugh off good-natured jibes from his new team-mates.

Haber was introduced to soccer by his dad in Vancouver and skills honed at Vancouver Whitecaps have provided a passport to the SPL.

The 21-year-old has found the net against Manchester United and Real Valladolid in pre-season and he's desperate to down Hearts.

He said: "The first few games have gone well and hopefully I'll get my chance to start.

"I've found the dressing room at St Johnstone different from what I was used to back home.

"The guys, including the gaffer, have been giving me a hard time about the way I dress. I have this tartan shirt and they're winding me up about being a lumberjack.

"But that's cool. It's made me feel welcome. I've enjoyed the fun. But just to be clear, I've never tried my hand at lumberjacking."

Haber secured a contract at West Brom after catching the eye with his greatest hits on video.

He said: "My father is of Austrian stock and had me playing football from the age of five. I played another bunch of sports, including basketball and baseball, as a kid but I was always best at football.

"My family are coming across for the Aberdeen game. They don't get to see me very often."

Saints have won just one opening top-flight fixture since 1975 but boss Derek McInnes is eager to get off to a flyer. And he's set to blood Haber.

He said: "Marcus fits the under-21 bill but his raw potential could prove a real asset."

Archived