Canada in the Gold Cup... why have we never hosted it?

It's a long, long story that has been debated a number of times on this site. Search older threads to find the discussion.

In a nutshell, the US is considered by Concacaf to be the most economically attractive host and they want to make as much money as possible so they keep it there.

Sad thing is, they'd do more for the growth of the game in North America if it rotated. It should rotate from Caribbean, to Central America, to Mexico, to US, to Canada. Everyone should get a turn hosting it. It'd be great for the local federations, great for tourism and great for the profile of the game. Instead, they hold it in the same spot every two years and get lacklustre crowds (for the US and Canada games) every two years until the semi-final and final.

It's a long, long story that has been debated a number of times on this site. Search older threads to find the discussion.

In a nutshell, the US is considered by Concacaf to be the most economically attractive host and they want to make as much money as possible so they keep it there.

Yeah but what can we do? Should we do? As fans...

Yeah but what can we do? Should we do? As fans...

Pressure the CSA to actually try to attract the Cup here. I think it would be a success. We have a number of other events we've hosted in the past and we can lay out claims that we can host it. That's really all we can do. The CSA needs to be on board if we'll ever get the tournament. So it's a matter of getting them to say something and be willing to play ball.

Last year a small contingent of us went to Columbus to see the nats take down the El Salvadorians. Add to that the Jamaica-Honduras game and the stadium was still only 1/2 full. This was an absolute joke.

IF the games were in Toronto, They could have sold out Canada and at least 1/2 to 3/4 for the Jamaica-Honduras game. Thats about 30,000 compared to the 9,000 in Columbus. What a joke that was.

This SUM company seems to only hold exclusive marketing and promotion rights according to their website. I assume concacaf still owns the tourney but this SUM group has a BIG say in how it's run. I think it's SUM that needs to be lobbied as they stand to lose the most money if it's hosted elsewhere.

Why couldn't we at least host Canadas group? 2 games in TO and 1 in MTL one year n the next one do it in the West.

I agree. I get they want to make money so if they're smart they'll realize putting games in Canada is smart business. Trinidad and Jamaica draw well in Toronto and Haiti would draw well in Montreal. Obviously the only place Canada draws is in Canada so it sure beats putting us somewhere like Miami where we're dead weight at the gate. It can't be any worse than putting teams in the hinterland of Columbus like they did last year.

IF the games were in Toronto, They could have sold out Canada and at least 1/2 to 3/4 for the Jamaica-Honduras game. Thats about 30,000 compared to the 9,000 in Columbus. What a joke that was.

This is what think aswell, I mean, we hosted the U-20 world cup for F sakes and those games had great turnouts! I don't think the tournament as a whole is out of our reach.

Last year a small contingent of us went to Columbus to see the nats take down the El Salvadorians. Add to that the Jamaica-Honduras game and the stadium was still only 1/2 full. This was an absolute joke.

30K in TO? Where do you plan on hosting this thing?! Skydome? Even at 30k it'll be 1/2 empty and look bad on TV.

Anyways I find it strange how Canada can host the U-20 and have it be the most successful ever (lets forget the CSA lost $$$ for a moment), but aren't able to hose a smaller tourney with the GC.

Have the group stages in Vancouver, Montreal and TO. Have the finals at the Skydome or even Commonwealth in Edmonton.

Done.

1 thing that shouldn't be done is having teams flying around. Have each group play in 1 stadium, then move them aorund for the next stages.

Having smaller more intimate grounds allows for higher ticket prices to be charged.

IMO, the CMNT group should be in TO or maybe even Vancouver. (sorry Montreal but after the Honduras disaster it should be avoided for the time being. Hopefully this will change once you start in MLS)

30K in TO? Where do you plan on hosting this thing?! Skydome? Even at 30k it'll be 1/2 empty and look bad on TV.

I think Razcle was referring to the combined attendance of a Canada game and a Jamaica/Honduras game. Canada would draw 20k fans while Jamaica/Honduras would draw at least 10k. Such crowds represent conservative estimates but they would easily beat the Columbus crowds from last year.

i wish the gold cup was like the euro cup once every four years and required a bunch of games to qualify.

Im sure alot of people in concacaf would like that also.

I don't mind that the Gold Cup is every two years because it at least gives us a chance to see Canada play a bunch of competitive matches. If our WCQ runs were longer, maybe my tune would change a bit. I do agree with you regarding the lack of a qualifying run, though. I would like to see Canada have to qualify for the Gold Cup because that would require us to play several competitive games that would contribute points to our FIFA ranking.

i wish the gold cup was like the euro cup once every four years and required a bunch of games to qualify.

Im sure alot of people in concacaf would like that also.

Canada hardly plays any games as it is!

Only CONCACAF winners don't have to qualify (US, Mexico, Canada) everyone else does. I think thats why we're never in any group with either of those teams.

Canada hardly plays any games as it is!

Only CONCACAF winners don't have to qualify (US, Mexico, Canada) everyone else does. I think thats why we're never in any group with either of those teams.

It's probably also why our ranking seems to bottom out just before each Gold Cup. Continental qualifiers are worth more ranking points than friendlies, and teams only gain points by winning or drawing matches. I would rather see Canada go through a qualifying stage than gain automatic entry for this reason alone.

Lets face it CONCACAF has about as much credibility as Lehman, Fox News, and B.P. this tourney is a joke hell even Helen Keller could see it is a fraud. The organisers want a U.S.A V Mexico final and will do anything to make sure it happens eg Canada in 2007.

If you want things to change in CONCACAF we need someone who is not afraid of Warner or that other piece of s--t or Blazer . I do not care where he is from whether he is a Canadian, or Haitian. change will have to happen. Somehow I can see a guy like Dick Pound freaking out Warner and Blazer.

^ Hahahaha... I totally agree. That's the only reason there's only been one other host since 1991 errr co-host. Mexico hosted a few games in 1993 and 2003. The CSA should/proabably already has had discusions with CONCACAF about the possibility of hosting a few games. It's totally realistic and would makes sense for next year tournament to have some games played in Vancouver considering the hype that will be around the MLS in that city. The easiest way for us to influence the CSA is to write up a standard letter about a specific topic and have everyone email it. Or give it to me and I'll head down to the corner of Metcalfe and Sommerset and drop on their doorstep.

Archived