Italy updates

BigBird

I'm surprised too, i would have expected with the need for Canadian content on the 3 Cdn MLS teams there would be a spot for someone like Rocco. Hopefully he takes his shot with Perugia, although i'm not liking this whole "new Perugia" talk and the fact they're not registered in either Serie C category. If it's a newly created club and they're playing a Serie D side this is a disastrous move for him.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Perugia is aware otherwise why else announce I did not even know he was on impact currently I do not follow once out of Italy there are better then me to know theirprogress here

I hope all the best for him and his New team in sept if all true

I'm sure Perugia is aware otherwise why else announce I did not even know he was on impact currently I do not follow once out of Italy there are better then me to know theirprogress here

I hope all the best for him and his New team in sept if all true

Perugia Calcio is indeed very Ambitious, They will start in Serie D. They've also brought on Former Sampdoria, Reggina and Torino Coach Walter Novellino as an advisor to team owners.

Yesterday Uccello with Crotone played 2 separate teams each 45 minutes from lower division 5th and 4th. they won the first game 9-0 and second game 1-0.

Genoa still in ritiro they had closed doors friendly which they won 11-1 with STUBAITAL I did not see Stillo in net for any of the halves.

It apprears the Gino Mauro Dethorna will start in excellence and relegated one lower then Serie D unless they request to remain. But no offical word as of yet from the club.

Yesterday both teams played each other in a what is called a family game. The end result A won the match against B by a result of 2-1.

They are in a 3 day rest period before opening up with some excellent games against Lamenzia, Cosenza, maybe another one shortly after, before their opening match in Coppa Italia, if they pass turn they get to meet Rome in Dec/2010.

On Genoa side, still in ritiro nothing offical as yet, news on Stillo im sure he is working real hard for preperation and getting a new look with his training with the first team. I do not see a problem by the signing as of yet and I do expect nothing but good news out there and nothing less then him being offically announce as their first keeper for primavera this coming year. With Perin moving on to better things with him on either with first team as back. up or another opportuntiy. Stillo doors is wide open

Genoa had exibition match against Varese if not mistaken a Serie D team they used two keeper in this match but Stillo was not one of them.

Next game to come up, im sure he'll be there you can dress only 2 at a time. Unless he has left the camp any now is training with his primavera team in Ritiro....

Crotone have been off for 3 days, and deserving so for the team. Uccello has had a good reviews in the the 3 matches he has played in all of them with equal amout of goals. They re enter their Ritiro tonight preparing for 2 games against Cosenza on Monday then Lamenzia on Wed or Thursday.

Genoa had exibition match against Varese if not mistaken a Serie D team they used two keeper in this match but Stillo was not one of them.

Next game to come up, im sure he'll be there you can dress only 2 at a time. Unless he has left the camp any now is training with his primavera team in Ritiro....

Crotone have been off for 3 days, and deserving so for the team. Uccello has had a good reviews in the the 3 matches he has played in all of them with equal amout of goals. They re enter their Ritiro tonight preparing for 2 games against Cosenza on Monday then Lamenzia on Wed or Thursday.

Hey Big Bird, you are correct and your information is accurate! Roberto left 1 day prior to the Varese game as he had to be back in Genoa for the primaveras departure for training camp in Mondovi in the mountains. He has an excellent training camp and Spinelli pleased with his performances in mini games and training. Training with Scarpi and Eduardo who just came off the world cup was fantastic. They trained and hit it off well and will be training together all year. Back to back training camps will be tuff but he ready for it. There will be official news when he comes back from this camp about his signing. also FYI:

PS. Not asked or selected to go to U20 camp in Spain.......love the politics and coaching! Dont ever question why Canada is where they are in world rankings. Self explanitory. Why is he professional enough to get a contract and play in a Seria A top half team reserve, but not represent his country? The Staff can make up any reason they like to justify their choices but they can never argue his results and who the best keeper is, hands down. Guess Canada must be very deep in that position and have alot of kids playing in european systems around the world. Frustration is not a descriptive enough word. They own the results.............

Alex, we are all cheering for Roberto. From his interview a year or so back on TLN he seems like a great young man - I am sure you are very proud. We all hope he becomes a full time Genoa keeper and races Julian Uccello to become the first Canadian in Serie A. We also hope he leads Canada to a U20 WC and the World Cup main stage some day.

However, as fans of the Canadian teams, we also cheer for Latendresse, Santiago and Street (although Adam seems to be struggling to find his place right now). We have a great group of young keepers and it has us all excited for the future.

In fairness, Roberto has been called to many camps. Other than Latendresse, he has probably seen the second most. The family of Santiago could also easily be saying "Jordan is on the first team roster of a team a stones throw from the Premiership, and he has never been called to a Canada camp". Admittedly, I am glad they are giving him a look. He seems to have deserved and earned it. I don't pretend to know the difference in any of these keepers - I have seen JLL on TV and watched Street live once, and they both look good. I have never seen Santiago or Stillo play.

I do wish Roberto the best of luck and hope he keeps progressing. We all have huge hope for all of our young keepers.

I cant wait for the season to start for both of ours as well as others too that play in Italy. Robert is still young and his actions in net will get him there soon enough, from what I hear of him and his talents.

I ve been preaching how good littlebird is for 3 of the 5 years right hear on this forum, but at the end of the day everyone has their say, "some good some bad", "coaches select and they cut" "he's better then him" " I would put him in this position and or there" call it "politics" or what ever you want.

Ivan is right there are others too but do not take it to heart. I always told my son "let your feet do the talking and let the crictics type" because if there not typing then your not playing and thats not a good thing, if you what to achieve your goals...

If Julian or Robert makes Canadians proud by being the first to play and represent our country in a match game in Serie A, that is an accomplishment in itself (history) to open doors for others. Aside from representing the MNT what more can one ask for in life. I know that Uccello will move to his second goal since he was 15.

The other stuff will come I would hope automatically, I would think so.

Do worry about the U20 etc etc... Uccello has never represented anyone in any age group U17-u20 u23 and Olympic team, in his roles as a striker, in Championship rounds. Look where he is today and his accomplishments its all becasue of playing time in the past 7 years. 150 matches 73 goals 1 scoring title top goal scorer on every team he has played on in Italy and since the age of 12 right here in TO.

I think he should be in Serie A already lolololololololololololol

keep us posted Alex say hello and GL

It is an aside but Cardiff City has decided to bring in a young american goalkeeper on trial to "cover" for Jordan Santiago while he is away so I don't know if that call up to a meaningless camp was much of a blessing for him. Probably comes back and goes right back to work but imagine if he loses his place. Bad timing for a training camp to pull kids away from their clubs right in the middle of the pre-season.

Uccello will not be sent out on loan he will remain with his club Crotone in Serie B wearing the number 22 jersey. After lenghts of talks between his agent and Crotone signing a new 3 year deal today starts his new progress for him for his quest of getting to Serie A. Last year Crotone was close to making the jump to Serie A but failed in the playoffs to make it happen. Hopefully this year is a big year for the team and looks very positive of achieving the jump. With the new addition of players they are stronger and younger too then last year team.

The President and Coach have indicated that Julian is very promising young player to help them get there and be part of it, looking forward and using him to achieve those tasks mutually. Boca Lupo (creppa)

The exibition match yesterday against Cosenza winning 2-1. he played second half 25 minutes.

next match Lamenzia on Thrusday

Genoa Robert Stillo, is now in the moutians in northern Italy training with the primavera they are expected to have a exibition match tommorrow I believe with a team from Serie D if not mistaken, I will bring the result to you after the match......

i appreciate all the good wishes and sentiments gentleman of voyageurs! Call it a short fall of mine, but Ive never been one to be quiet about things especially when its so blatant. It takes courage to stand up for yourself and for others, if your going to change a system. Maybe not today , but tomorrow, someone else may join the fight for change to give kids a chance in a system that hasn't produced a winner in what, close to 2 decades now? Dont know if I will see it in my life time, but to begin to change you must start, and others I'm sure will follow. I have been watching and bucking the system for years and probably have suffered somewhat for it. But as always, like Bigbird, look at where the kids are now and know that everything we did, was a stepping stone for Robert to get where he is today. Ultimately, it is his talent that got him there, and vision of excellent world class coaches that saw in him what they couldnt in Canada. It doesnt mattter to me who gets to Seria A first, but it does matter that they both get there because they represent 2 different positions and also represent a lack of acknowledgement from their own backyard. Thtas what I would call payback........the great motivator! There success will be thanks enough!

Lombardo got a 1 game cameo in Serie B with Atalanta, but has any other Canadian played in Serie B? Will Uccello hopefully become the first Canadian to play regularly in Serie B or has someone preceded him?

What level was Perugia in when Lombardo went on loan to them? I had forgotten he had gotten a game for Atalanta in Serie B.

Rocco Placentino played a match in Serie B with Avellino AFAIK. I assume keeper Carlo Marini never got that high (I have it in my head he was in C1 when he played in the 1991 Gold Cup), but I have no idea if he even made an appearance for the club he played for.

Besides David Masciantonio and this current group, I’m having trouble thinking of many more Canadians who have played in Italy.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. big congratulations to Julian and Robert. We’re following them and supporting them even if it may feel like the CSA has forgotten about them.

There was a Canadian/Italian who played Serie B with Piacenza in the late 80's. He had a handful of caps for Canada as well I believe.

Can't remember his name. Will try to look it up.

By the way congratulations to Julian. I know a lot of people questioned him for staying in Italy and playing in the lower divisions but it looks like it has paid off. As his father has said, a lot of hard work still ahead but good on him!

Edit: His name is Enzo Concina. Born in Italy, moved to Canada at 4: http://www.corrieretandem.com/viewstory.php?storyid=8445&page=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzo_Concina

There was a Canadian/Italian who played Serie B with Piacenza in the late 80's. He had a handful of caps for Canada as well I believe.

Can't remember his name. Will try to look it up.

By the way congratulations to Julian. I know a lot of people questioned him for staying in Italy and playing in the lower divisions but it looks like it has paid off. As his father has said, a lot of hard work still ahead but good on him!

Edit: His name is Enzo Concina. Born in Italy, moved to Canada at 4: http://www.corrieretandem.com/viewstory.php?storyid=8445&page=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzo_Concina

thanks yes I know of him and his feats Enzo Concina played 17 matches games in the first year in B finshing in the middle of the table and following relegated from last place his record shows he had 17 appeareances the first year and 24 in the second. He recieved a red card in the last game in B against Taranto. As far I know he was the first Canadian player to play in B and with most games in B from 1987 -89 with a total of 41 appearances.

I also want to extend my congratulations to the Uccello and Stillo families, including their respective sons for their impressive progress in Italy. I hope he sees some significant playing time and who knows, perhaps we might see Julian get called up for the Ukraine match in October (given that it's likely our European-based players will be called for that one), and I'm sure we will see Robert again soon at the rate he is progressing.

PS - I remember watching Enzo Concina score on a header off a free kick for Canada against Poland back in 1988 at Varsity Stadium.

What level was Perugia in when Lombardo went on loan to them? I had forgotten he had gotten a game for Atalanta in Serie B.

Rocco Placentino played a match in Serie B with Avellino AFAIK. I assume keeper Carlo Marini never got that high (I have it in my head he was in C1 when he played in the 1991 Gold Cup), but I have no idea if he even made an appearance for the club he played for.

Besides David Masciantonio and this current group, I’m having trouble thinking of many more Canadians who have played in Italy.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. big congratulations to Julian and Robert. We’re following them and supporting them even if it may feel like the CSA has forgotten about them.

Sandro Grande played 1 game for Brescia in Serie A but it was Intertoto Cup not league, other than that he was loaned in C and D. I can't think of anyone not mentioned who played B.

I also want to extend my congratulations to the Uccello and Stillo families, including their respective sons for their impressive progress in Italy. I hope he sees some significant playing time and who knows, perhaps we might see Julian get called up for the Ukraine match in October (given that it's likely our European-based players will be called for that one), and I'm sure we will see Robert again soon at the rate he is progressing.

PS - I remember watching Enzo Concina score on a header off a free kick for Canada against Poland back in 1988 at Varsity Stadium.

I would love nothing more then his fans to see him play right here in T>O. in the sept games, two matches back to back would be great for him playing in front of his home town fans. After 7 years of absence. He will excite them im sure, and it will be something that he wanted to do for a long time. Just like with Zinedine Zidane show he loves the south curva...

but what ever, he will be ready, When the time comes. GIAN thanks also.

Archived