FC Edmonton in negotiation with Dutch players.

SCF08

FC Edmonton have offered a 2 year contract to 33 year old defensive midfielder/right back Paul Matthijs. He is currently playing for BV Veendam in the Jupiler League (Dutch First Division).

Paul Matthijs's career so far: DOB = 05-10-1976

1997/98 FC Groningen 15 0 Eredivisie

1998/99 FC Groningen 32 1 Eerste divisie

1999/00 FC Groningen 32 1 Eerste divisie

2000/01 AZ 27 1 Eredivisie

2001/02 AZ 2 0 Eredivisie

2001/02 FC Groningen 24 0 Eredivisie

2002/03 FC Groningen 29 3 Eredivisie

2003/04 FC Groningen 27 2 Eredivisie

2004/05 FC Groningen 31 1 Eredivisie

2005/06 FC Groningen 29 0 Eredivisie

2006/07 FC Groningen 11 0 Eredivisie

2007/08 FC Groningen 3 0 Eredivisie

2008/09 FC Groningen 20 0 Eredivisie

2009/10 BV Veendam 32 0 Eerste divisie

Total: 314 9

Edmonton are also looking to sign Sander van Gessel who is a left footed defensive/central midfielder. He is also 33 years old and currently playing for Sparta Rotterdam. Both players are well known to the coaching staff who have a good connection with former FC Groningen players.

Sander van Gessel's career so far: DOB = 04-11-1976

1995/96 FC Groningen 1 0 Eredivisie

1996/97 FC Groningen 5 0 Eredivisie

1997/98 FC Groningen 8 0 Eredivisie

1998/99 FC Groningen 29 7 Eerste divisie

1999/00 FC Groningen 0 0 Eerste divisie

2000/01 FC Groningen 2 1 Eredivisie

2000/01 SC Heerenveen 22 1 Eredivisie

2001/02 SC Heerenveen 0 0 Eredivisie

2001/02 FC Groningen 29 2 Eredivisie

2002/03 FC Groningen 26 3 Eredivisie

2003/04 FC Groningen 32 8 Eredivisie

2004/05 FC Groningen 32 4 Eredivisie

2005/06 NAC Breda 31 3 Eredivisie

2006/07 NAC Breda 29 2 Eredivisie

2007/08 NAC Breda 15 0 Eredivisie

2008/09 Sparta Rotterdam 10 0 Eredivisie

2009/10 Sparta Rotterdam 22 1 Eredivisie

Total: 293 32

Are Europeans able to collect Old Age Pension from their home countries while playing retirement soccer in Canada? That might explain a few things.

You know what, I'll take Dutch castoffs if they make the team stronger. We want FC Edmonton to have experienced talent right off the start. These guys probably won't be around long, but they might be what the team needs to have a mid-table finish in their first season.

This is a far cry from local players.

And thank god for that!

Say what you will about signing 30-odd-year-olds, but one of them is playing regularly in the Eredivisie and the other is doing pretty well in the Dutch second division, and the Eerste divisie is at least as good and probably better than the NASL. These guys, even in 2011, could be standouts.

I will almost guarantee that a Dutch 'keeper will be coming over...mid-to-late thirties.

Ah So... it von't be Yans -Howling Mad-Laymans then;)

Still Goalkeepers Tend to Peak in their Thirties so I'd be happy with a Thirty-someting between the Sticks.

Mind you does Anybody remember Everton's old-Custodian, Neville Southall ? He Pushing Fifty (actually he might even be dragging it behind him) but is still turning out for Dover Athletic (i think) in the Blue Square League in England.

:o

I am almost as certain about the Dutch 'keeper as I am that a Chilean import will make the squad.

FC Edmonton have signed 37 year old goalkeeper Rein Baart on a 1,5 year contract. He is the reserve goalkeeper of NEC Nijmegen....not a very good signing imo. Matthijs en Van Gessel are quality signings for Edmonton but this one is pretty uncertain. During the winter months he will help out with the academy > which is indoors according to the article below.

1996/97 TOP Oss 11 0 Eerste divisie

1997/98 TOP Oss 3 0 Eerste divisie

1998/99 VVV 32 0 Eerste divisie

1999/00 VVV 28 0 Eerste divisie

2000/01 VVV 19 0 Eerste divisie

2001/02 Fortuna Sittard 2 0 Eredivisie

2002/03 Fortuna Sittard 32 0 Eerste divisie

2003/04 Fortuna Sittard 31 0 Eerste divisie

2004/05 Fortuna Sittard 30 0 Eerste divisie

2005/06 VVV-Venlo 6 0 Eerste divisie

2006/07 VVV-Venlo 33 0 Eerste divisie

2007/08 NEC 0 0 Eredivisie

2008/09 NEC 0 0 Eredivisie

Total: 227 0

Message on NEC's official website

http://www.nec-nijmegen.nl/layout.php?p=11&NieuwsID=3952

Good to know, though, that FC Edmonton isn't afraid of building the squad with internationals from the get-go. People gotta realize, we don't have the quality and quantity to fill the rosters of four pro clubs, so I'd rather that Edmonton be strong and with internationals and US players at the get-go to give them at least a mid-table finishing team, the ability to develop Canadian talent, and the ability to draw an audience, than going more local and getting slaughtered, which would hurt the growth of audience.

Where is his wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rein_Baart

Look like he has played a competitive game in 4 years. And he's 5'11 and a keeper..

5' 11" is not a major disadvantage if your positional sense is good and you know how to marshall your centrebacks at Corners. One of the Best shot stoppers of the 1980's, who played for Spain, Luis Arconada was 5'10" I would agree however, any shorter than that and you'd better stick with indoor Soccer.:(

The height issue is a little bogus now as it was always established that a tall goalkeeper could hold onto crosses. Modern ball technology makes it almost impossible for the High dropping cross to be held correctly, Hench Jazz Hand Glovers with extra sponge for distance punching. Spotting the cross and timing the leap is most important. Van der Saar is most often beaten, with low driven shots close in to and under his body as he too tall to drop quickley. And yes he still drops crosses.:eek:

IMO perfect goalkeeper height is 6' -6'2" Dino Zoff was 6' Gordon Banks was 6'1" Lev Yashin was 6'2".

Besides any Big Kids around here probably will end up on a Basketball Scholarship:mad:

As for 1 competative game in 4 years, you have to ask who is keeping him out of the first Team.

I agree that with great postional sense and reflexes a small keeper can be successful but at 37 you've probably lost alot of athletic ability.

And to your point about goalkeeper height, the prefect height is 6'4 - 6'6 on an athletic goalkeeper because when a keeper was a wingspan like that they just have such an advantage.

Otherwise good pickups getting decent pros so Edmonton can start strong, Canadians can and will come later.

:D

I agree that with great postional sense and reflexes a small keeper can be successful but at 37 you've probably lost alot of athletic ability.

And to your point about goalkeeper height, the prefect height is 6'4 - 6'6 on an athletic goalkeeper because when a keeper was a wingspan like that they just have such an advantage.

Otherwise good pickups getting decent pros so Edmonton can start strong, Canadians can and will come later.

Good comment on the Loss of agility over time. still as you probably know goalkeepers are in general nutcases who are generally 'wired diffrently' compared to most People. Thats why they train more intensly than outfield players and tend to hang around longer in the game. ;) They will also play second fiddle to the first choice keeper as they have that "Goalkeepers Union" thing going on.

Anyway A few Famous Goalkeepers.

Joseph Stalin was a Goalkeeper.

The late Pope John Paul the second was also a goalkeeper.

And the French Algerian Philosopher, and Nobel Prize winner, Albert Cammus was also a goalkeeper. (When asked by his friend Charles Poncet which he preferred, football or the theatre. Camus is said to have replied, "Football, without hesitation.")

Oh and yes Dont forget ... Sly Stallone!:eek:

Ps. if my teams facing a over tall goalkeeper, I tell them not to put high balls into the box, instead low hard cut backs from the goal/ touchline.

Archived