Canadians in the Premier League?

RichardUK

Hello all. New poster here from England. My father is Canadian so I've recently taken an interest in Canadian football. I'm not that familiar with the national team but how many Canadians play in the Premier League? I only know of David Edgar from Burnley (and Hargreaves of course). I know there's others but none come to mind currently.

:)

As long you don't blather on about England too much, you will be welcome. :)

We don't count Hargreaves as a Canadian in that context. There are 2 however, as we also have David Hoillet of Blackburn Rovers (who may or may not join Hargreaves as a 'non-Canadian' when he is capped by a national team). See the most excellent Mother of All Canadians Abroad 1st page for an up to date list of Canadians in foreign leagues.

Hello all. New poster here from England. My father is Canadian so I've recently taken an interest in Canadian football. I'm not that familiar with the national team but how many Canadians play in the Premier League? I only know of David Edgar from Burnley (and Hargreaves of course). I know there's others but none come to mind currently.

:)

We also had Ass-smear Begovic before he turned his back on us.

lets see...

there's that guy who made several starts at portsmouth this year...looked good.....then became bosnian.

we have that guy who played for manchester united, but he became english (fake accent and all) years ago

then there's that up and coming firecracker for rovers....he is canadian when he boards an airplane and when he sists at his mother's kitchen table, but he is unlikely to ever play for his country because he is too good.

we had a guy with a really good seat to watch games in the prem (most nights)....but he just got loaned out to a CCC team.

not many but the ones mentioned.

were all hoping that edgar matures into a great defender im sure he will.

hargreaves is a swear word around here, im proud of him though and really dont care what others say. he is candian and british so he chose the bigger team, i cant blame him.

we have a bad history of late losing players to other countries although i really feel that the national team is going uphill from here.

allot of the best canadian players are in europe but not the epl.

my favorite canadian player is atiba hutchenson great midfeilder with loads of potential.

Simeon Jackson of Gillingham FC (League One) has been linked to several Premiership clubs, and was rumoured to be on the move during the winter transfer window (though he stayed put with the Gills). We'll see what happens to him this summer.

(And unlike some others mentioned in this thread, he's a fully capped Canadian national.)

This thread is pretty depressing tbh

Why?

we aren't the only country to have little to no players in the EPL.

And for Canadians, the Bundesligas seem to be the spot for where Canadians have seem to fit in.

Rob Friend has been very good with Borussia Mönchengladbach.

For English league , Ian Hume still ranks with me as the funnest to watch. Edgar and Hoillett are still on their way. Hopefully Haber and Jackson can move through the ranks. Most our guys have just chose to get payed a little more money is a tope tier league elsewhere rather than settle for CCC money. English soccer isn't everything, Mckenna, Hutchinson, Simspson, Friend, De Guzman (during his Depor/Bundesliga days), Kulkowski, Radzinski, Nswalia, and Hirschfeld have done pretty well for themselves.

Stalteri would be biggest recent success at the Premier league. Wouldn't call Edgar a success yet, besides that goal against ManU.

Why?

we aren't the only country to have little to no players in the EPL.

And for Canadians, the Bundesligas seem to be the spot for where Canadians have seem to fit in.

Rob Friend has been very good with Borussia Mönchengladbach.

For English league , Ian Hume still ranks with me as the funnest to watch. Edgar and Hoillett are still on their way. Hopefully Haber and Jackson can move through the ranks. Most our guys have just chose to get payed a little more money is a tope tier league elsewhere rather than settle for CCC money. English soccer isn't everything, Mckenna, Hutchinson, Simspson, Friend, De Guzman (during his Depor/Bundesliga days), Kulkowski, Radzinski, Nswalia, and Hirschfeld have done pretty well for themselves.

Stalteri would be biggest recent success at the Premier league. Wouldn't call Edgar a success yet, besides that goal against ManU.

I think he's talking about the Lost Ones.

Don't forget we have also benefited from the opposite problem with players taking advantage of Canadian heritage to have a crack at getting capped internationally.

Marc Bircham is a good example, and I'd throw in Tomasz Radzinski and Will Johnson too... plus Jack Stewart if he decides to play for us.

thescottc, first of all, welcome to the forum. Now, to answer your post, I think you are being unfair with Will Johnson and Radzinski. I'm not sure but Will Johnson never lived in Canada (and maybe that's why you put him on your list) but one of his parents is Canadian which means he is Canadian by blood and also he was born in Canada. About Radzinski, even if he hasn't Canadian heritage, he became eventually Canadian and committed 100% to the Canadian cause, so given the fact he was good enough to play with the Polish NT that qualified to the 2002 and 2006 WC, IMO he is 100% Canadian,

Both of Will Johnsons parents are English, they were teaching at the U. of T when he was born here and then the family moved to England. When he was 9 they moved to Chicago to teach at the U. of Chicago, Will was a member of the US Residency program in Bradenton for atleast 1 year before joining Blackburn Rovers and then eventually signing with Chicago Fire in MLS. He is not very Canadian.

Radz is totally different, he came here at a young age from Poland and was given his first shot at pro soccer in the CSL. I think he worked hard to be called Canadian (until he didn't play for us in the prime of his career, but then he made up for it in the end).

We seem to win some and lose some, I think the problem is we often lose better players than we pick up. De Guzman+Hardgraves>Johnson+Bircham...

...regarding JDG2, we haven't him yet for sure, he hasn't broken into the dutch team and suffered a season ending injury (same knee I presume) which decreases his value. I'm sure that piece of info makes this thread less depressing for some!

I'm not up on how often FIFA eligibility rules have changed over the years, but I think there are more than a few of the current crop of Nats who were born elsewhere and might have tried to ply their trade in countries other than Canada. Dejan Jackovic (Serbia), Iain Hume (Scotland), Mike Klukowski (Austria), Simeon Jackson (Jamiaca), Kenny Stamatopoulos (Greece), and Andrew Ornoch (Poland) are the ones off the top of my head who - for whatever reason (national pride, opportunity to play, whatever) decided to play for Canada.

I thought you had to be English to play for the England national team???

John Barnes was from Born in the West Indies. Thats the one who played for Liverpool not Machester United. Actally both played for England and I understand there will be posters who will not have heard of either of them.

Oh yes Pele in the Film Victory(Escape to Victory) played as Luis Fernandez from Trinidad so Pele could have Played for England as well:rolleyes:

Sorry thats too much England-ED.

Anyone heard of Gault FC?

No? Okay take a look at the Link.

http://www.soccer.on.ca/OSN.nsf/c1bfa845a2dec3bf85256b0b005d4116/aa9748d025acbeef85256fb00072ca4d?OpenDocument

So, If you have to sit down with any Americans this summer to watch the World Cup remind them who won the Olympic Soccer competition in 1904. Rub that in along with the Hockey Gold.

Just don't let on that the teams centreforward was a.... Scotsman:eek:

Archived