Gerba sent home from camp

nolando

This deserves it's own thread:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/15/sp-soccer-gerba.html

Toronto FC general manager Mo Johnston told CBCSports.ca Monday evening that the club has sent Canadian forward Ali Gerba home from pre-season training in South Carolina.

“He’s worked hard but his play was not up to scratch,” Johnston said.

Johnston said Gerba has not be released by the team, but that the coaching staff felt it was necessary to send him back to Toronto because wasn’t “up to scratch” in TFC’s pre-season thus far.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm disappointed that Ali couldn't perform for TFC (or get in shape for that matter). He's done so well for the Nats that I was really hoping he'd be able to light up MLS to solidify his spot. This is a bit of a kick to the balls when the most consistent scoring striker Canada currently has can't even cut it with the likes of TFC.

Odd. If it's not an attitue/work ethic problem, and they think he's no longer good enough, I'm not sure what sending him back to Toronto is going to achieve. Had it been about lack of work ethic I can see that sending him away from camp could send him a message. Is he supposed to sit there awaiting a trade I guess?

Bit of an odd development. A very odd development.

So let me get this straight, Ali G is on a $300K guaranteed contract, it's roughly two weeks to season's start and he's been sent home for not being up to scratch. Frame it any way you want as far as I'm concerned being sent home for not "being up to scratch" is a disciplinary measure. If they wanted to Trader Mo & Preki could have been diplomatic and said Ali had to go back to Toronto for some personal matters but would continue training with the club there, a little white lie that doesn't hurt anybodies pride, but they didn't. So you have to ask why?

Good Lord, what a mess. $300K against the salary cap sitting at home two weeks from kick off? Not that Ali hasn't shown a history of wearing out his welcome with managers but come on. You have to work with what you've got not what you wish you had. Especially in MLS where player movement, quality player movement is nigh impossible. Preki should know that.

Me-thinks a certain organization is banking on a strike and a completely different MLS after it. Guess we can only hope...

So let me get this straight, Ali G is on a $300K guaranteed contract...

I don't think it's quite that high - ISTR it was just over half that amount. It is guaranteed.

Reports are that Ali worked his butt off over the off-season and came into camp in the best shape he's ever been, and even Mo confirms that he's worked hard. He didn't look impressive at all in the only pre-season game that I've seen, but then neither did the entire team (outside of De Guzman) in that game, and the usual complete lack of service plagued him, White and whoever else they will put up there.

You almost have to wonder if this a ploy for the owners in talks with the mediator and the players against more guaranteed contracts (something the players want) - they can say "Look at TFC, they have to keep Gerba on the books because of his guaranteed contract even though the coach doesn't want him". Otherwise, the move makes little sense - if its not an work ethic problem, keep him with the team, let him continue to work hard, see if he improves along with the team until you actually can get rid of him.

Gerba's is rapidly going through more clubs than Jack Nicklaus (or club hostesses than Tiger Woods, your choice ). I didn't see his last match so I can't comment about it but I guess Preki figures that Gerba doesn't have enough of an all purpose game to fit into his tactical plans at the moment. Though we don't have all the background info, I don't see this as a temporary move: it's a pretty big affront to be a healthy scratch and sent home alone while your team is still in a preseason tourney.

Response from Gerba:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/soccer/2010/03/17/001-gerba-divorce.shtml

It's in French. From what I can translate - Gerba thinks he's done with TFC (hardly a shocking revelation), doesn't think his fitness is an issue, he arrived in Toronto last year injured, and I see reference or two to Preki and Montreal in MLS.

TFC and Gerba lawyers are negotiating the seperation.

Ali thinks Mo's comments about his play is an excuse to dismiss him.

At the start of the camp, Ali didn't feel he was in Preki's plan.

Ali with MTL. He's impatient to see MTL in the MLS.

Response from Gerba:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/soccer/2010/03/17/001-gerba-divorce.shtml

It's in French. From what I can translate - Gerba thinks he's done with TFC (hardly a shocking revelation), doesn't think his fitness is an issue, he arrived in Toronto last year injured, and I see reference or two to Preki and Montreal in MLS.

Yes it says that TFC and Gerba's lawyers are negotiating the terms of a release from his contract. Gerba blames his poor performances last year on injuries that he had when he arrived that he says TFC were fully aware of when he signed. He says he is now in good shape, that fitness is not an issue and only being used as an excuse by TFC and that he didn't seem to figure in Preki's plans from the beginning of camp. He is asked about signing in Montreal and he says he has talked with some football player friends (probably Impact players) and everyone wants Montreal to go MLS as soon as possible, ie. he may not be interested in Montreal until they are going to MLS.

Yes it says that TFC and Gerba's lawyers are negotiating the terms of a release from his contract. Gerba blames his poor performances last year on injuries that he had when he arrived that he says TFC were fully aware of when he signed. He says he is now in good shape, that fitness is not an issue and only being used as an excuse by TFC and that he didn't seem to figure in Preki's plans from the beginning of camp. He is asked about signing in Montreal and he says he has talked with some football player friends (probably Impact players) and everyone wants Montreal to go MLS as soon as possible, ie. he may not be interested in Montreal until they are going to MLS.

The question is who'll be interested in Gerba with his reputation and having played with 14 clubs in7 years or something like that.

I'm not sure he has a future in MLS at the moment.

I suspect he'll probably wind up with a lower level European team who are desperate to find a goalscorer and are willing to take a bit of a gamble. His impressive goals to games ratio at MK Dons is recent enough and at a high enough standard to still give people a reason to believe that he could be an asset. Transfer windows are open right now in Norway, Sweden and Finland because of their summer seasons so he wouldn't necessarily have to wait until midsummer once he has been released from his MLS contract.

The question is who'll be interested in Gerba with his reputation and having played with 14 clubs in7 years or something like that.

I'm not sure he has a future in MLS at the moment.

Here's the thing though. The man has a history of scoring goals. It's a safe assumption given a proper chance at TFC he could contribute in that department. And he's Canadian content. Ali G could kill two birds with one stone for TFC, goal scoring and filling the domestics quota.

So what if he's a bit of high maintenance? Who else is Preki going to find to foot a similar bill? Who? Nobody that's who so deal with it.

Viewed from a-far I'm not sure I like what I'm seeing from Preki to this point. Yeah great, he wants to show everyone who's boss. And fair enough for that but in the end so what? Being "boss" doesn't amount to shit if it isn't backed up with results. It's nothing but hollow bravado. Nothing but a bunch of mouth and I think everyone has seen enough of that act from Trader Moe. No need to add Preki as a 2nd cast member for that tired play.

Seriously, I'm not sure he understands what he's up against.

Fan expectations and a smaller domestic player base which is vastly more inclined (unlike the US pool) to play in lower level Europe over MLS.

Last season's top goalscorers in MLS:-

http://web.mlsnet.com/stats/

Jeff Cunningham - DAL 28 17 8

Conor Casey - COL 24 16 1

Fredy Montero - SEA 27 12 7

Landon Donovan - LA 25 12 6

Robbie Findley - RSL 27 12 4

Guillermo Barros Schelotto - CLB 24 12 3

Juan Pablo Angel - NY 25 12 2

Dwayne De Rosario - TOR 28 11 6

Ryan Johnson - SJ 30 11 2

Josh Wolff - KC 27 11 0

TFC currently have #8 on the list (who was only one goal away from being tied for third on goals scored) and over the course of three seasons have also had the top two on their roster as well. There is clearly no need to pander to Ali Gerba's whims if his attitude isn't right because TFC's ability to recruit potential top goalscorers has been greater than some of the more active posters on the messageboards appear to believe.

Worth noting also that last season the top three goalscorers for Columbus the winners of the Supporters Shield had the following stats:-

Guillermo Barros Schelotto 24 12 3

Eddie Gaven 30 6 0

Jason Garey 15 4 2

while the top three for TFC had a highly comparable performance:-

Dwayne De Rosario 28 11 6

Chad Barrett 29 5 3

Amado Guevara 25 5 6

Worth noting also that last season the top three goalscorers for Columbus the winners of the Supporters Shield had the following stats:-

Guillermo Barros Schelotto 24 12 3

Eddie Gaven 30 6 0

Jason Garey 15 4 2

while the top three for TFC had a highly comparable performance:-

Dwayne De Rosario 28 11 6

Chad Barrett 29 5 3

Amado Guevara 25 5 6

It doesn't matter how good you are at scoring goals if you are always worse at conceding goals. Last year, even though Columbus may have been comparable in goals for with TFC, they conceded 15 fewer and that is why they won the supporter's shield.

Here's the thing though. The man has a history of scoring goals. It's a safe assumption given a proper chance at TFC he could contribute in that department. And he's Canadian content. Ali G could kill two birds with one stone for TFC, goal scoring and filling the domestics quota.

He has a history of scoring goals with Canada MNT. At the club level he will be remember for not being able to stick for longer than 6 months.

I will always believe that we are overevaluating Ali. If Ali was an Englishman signed by Mo, with the kind of performances he pull off last year for TFC, people on this board would be on his back.

So what if he's a bit of high maintenance? Who else is Preki going to find to foot a similar bill? Who? Nobody that's who so deal with it.

It's tough to judge because we don't know what happpened between TFC and Ali. But if you score 1 goals in 11 games I'm not sure you are worth many sacrifice by the coaching staff just to keep you around.

It doesn't matter how good you are at scoring goals if you are always worse at conceding goals. Last year, even though Columbus may have been comparable in goals for with TFC, they conceded 15 fewer and that is why they won the supporter's shield.

I think that's why TFC management should look onto improving the defense. They currently look very weak at the back.

^What?

You're the one that used stats to imply that TFC's strikers are on par with those of the supporter's shield's and that TFC will be fine for scoring goals. My point was that your comparison serves no purpose because it's based on incorrect assumptions.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Archived