Gerba sent home from camp

nolando

Anyways, I hope Gerba will find another club where he can stick for more than 6 months because at the end of the day we don't have many options at his position.

Whitecaps, anyone? Surely he'd be an upgrade there, and could come storming back into MLS next year!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But sometimes the midfield needs to have strikers who can work with them in term of keeping the ball up front, passing and creating spaces. I don't think it's a unilateral relation, it's bilateral. That's probably Gerba biggest weakness that I have seen with TFC. Unless he is at the end of crosses or can find some open space to shoot, I don't think Gerba was really helping his teammates by holding onto the ball or making intelligent runs.

Anyways, I hope Gerba will find another club where he can stick for more than 6 months because at the end of the day we don't have many options at his position.

Well stated, loyola. In the end Preki (and Gerba's other recent club managers) felt he didn't have enough of an all-purpose game, especially in an area where he should be at his stongest: holding up the ball. I fully echo your final point.

I just don't buy this downplaying of Gerba's goal scoring prowess. Let's compare apples to apples. Every team in CONCACAF have to play inferior minnows. Here are the stats for the current strikers in CONCACAF.

First column games played, second column goals.

HON Carlos Pavon 97 57

MEX Cuauthemoc Blanco 109 38

JM Luton Shelton 48 28

HON Saul Martinez 34 18 ***

PM Luis Tejada 44 18

HON David Suazo 50 16

ES Rudis Corrales 69 16

CAN Ali Gerba 29 15

PM Roberto Brown 41 15

Mex Omar Bravo 63 15

HON Carlo Costly 39 14

PM Blas Perez 34 12

USA Eddie Johnson 40 12

MEX Francisco Palencia 80 12

HON Walter Martinez 33 11

USA Brian Ching 44 11

CR Bryan Ruiz 33 9

TR Kerry Baptiste 43 8

I was really looking forward to watching Gerba at the front playing with deGuzman and DeRo. Now after all crap going on with TFC i'm kind of glad he might be leaving. They can't even put a cohesive roster together before the start of the season.

Whitecaps, anyone? Surely he'd be an upgrade there, and could come storming back into MLS next year!

Marlon James is an excellent striker and they have several more like Orgil & REB who are developing fast. It would be interesting to see and you never know but I wouldn't rate Ali as an upgrade to Marlon (I too am disapointed by Ali getting cut by TFC). Now Marlon has had injury problems but hopefully he will stay healthy all year and in the future.

I just don't buy this downplaying of Gerba's goal scoring prowess. Let's compare apples to apples. Every team in CONCACAF have to play inferior minnows. Here are the stats for the current strikers in CONCACAF.

First column games played, second column goals.

HON Carlos Pavon 97 57

MEX Cuauthemoc Blanco 109 38

JM Luton Shelton 48 28

HON Saul Martinez 34 18 ***

PM Luis Tejada 44 18

HON David Suazo 50 16

ES Rudis Corrales 69 16

CAN Ali Gerba 29 15

PM Roberto Brown 41 15

Mex Omar Bravo 63 15

HON Carlo Costly 39 14

PM Blas Perez 34 12

USA Eddie Johnson 40 12

MEX Francisco Palencia 80 12

HON Walter Martinez 33 11

USA Brian Ching 44 11

CR Bryan Ruiz 33 9

TR Kerry Baptiste 43 8

Five Hondurans on that list. I'd like us to play that team more (perhaps this September at BMO?).

speaking of walter martinez, isn't he a striker that TFC could pull away from Honduras? It's not like he's playing in Mexico

edit: refering to the bolded players in the CONCACAF list

I think that is definitely an interesting name for TFC, he could potentially put himself higher on the Honduran depth chart with a strong performance in the MLS. He seems like the player that could thrive in the MLS.

Martinez is definitely a skilled player but I think he spend half the game crying in the turf in a physical MLS.

I don't know about that. I would have thought Amado Guevara was the poster boy for such antics but he proved to be quite an honest player in his time in Toronto. Maybe it was the dressing room influence but he cleaned up his act and it might be the same for others.

Pretty sure DC United GM Kevin Payne was the man responsible for wooing Luciano from Honduras. It took him almost 3 years to do it, but he finally wore him down and convinced him to come to MLS.

If Vancouver signs an experienced striker it'll really bite into Edwini-Bonsu's playing time...

I just want an official statement on where he is released or if he is being traded.

As it stands he`s on the payroll and ocunting towards the roster, if I`m not mistaken.

Yea some clarity from TFC would help. Considering they are a team that has trouble scoring I can't see the point of having a striker on the roster if you are not going to play him. My guess is that Ali wants a buyout/release so he can go play somewhere else (not MLS). The lawyers are probably involved by now so nobody is saying anything.

Archived