Impact, Beckham, British tabloid....

CanadianSoccerFan

Are the guys quoted UM02 members? ??

I am not familiar with any of the names mentioned. Papers like the Daily Star mostly decide what will appeal to their readers and often make up quotes and names. We have discussed the possibility of Beckham being involved with the club on the UM forum and it is not his "Englishness" that concerns us. Our worry would be that his involvement with the team would put more focus on Beckham and Posh's media circus than on the team. The last I heard was that he was not getting involved and there has been nothing new about this for quite a while. I am not sure if this is the Daily Star just recycling old news or if there are new talks between Saputo and Beckham. It is nice that they are so concerned with him surviving the Montreal winter even though I doubt he would spend much time here in winter even if this was true especially since the team is not playing at that time.

yeah, those comments from the 'supporters' just came off as bigoted: "Beckham should just go back to england", sounds like certain comments that got a certain english fan kung fu kicked in the face by a certain 90's french star footballer.

And another guy says "why can't zidane own the club?" why can't that guy get a brain? owners pick teams, not the other way around, why don't we sit around and wait for the impact to get automatic qualification to the european cup while where just pulling names out of our ass. I'll make a wager with anybody, Zidane doesn't give a flying great about the impact, that's why he won't try and buy the impact. Another thing that pisses me off about that, is Zidane isn't Quebecois, he's from EUROPE, sure he speaks french, you know how many people in England speak french? their neighbours for christ sake(well in the same way australia and new zealand are neighbours). He shouldn't switch from one european to another like it's better, if being quebecois was such a big deal, don't you think a canadian would be far more acceptable then anyone from europe, I mean they've actually probably been to quebec, they probably know more then jack shit about quebec. Why didn't that hick throw out de guz's name while he's fantasizing.

and then the whole mercenary comment, maybe kinda accurate but haven't the saputos been looking for a sugar daddy? like isn't that the perfect match? and he's a celebrity, do they really think that if some rich guy from quebec owns the team that that'll get some extra asses in seats? nooo, becky might. Really we all sell our shit to people from other countries every once in a while and in sports it's even better cause your just bringing money in, not taking it out (unless your moving franchises), why in sweet holy hell would people think the Montreal Impact are so god sent that you need to be discriminitory against money ( I can kinda understand some things like the canadians and other things considered too historical, but I don't understand completely cause it's not like anybodies going to move the habs, your just using the next dummy for money), but in all honesty, the impact are developing glory right now, not preserving decades of it, try and get as big as you damn well can.

ohhh, It's just a tabloid, I now see it in the title, it just didn't really register. I've always wondered how these journalism drop outs keep from killing themselves as they realize just how shot their journalism careers are after they printed lies for fun. I'ma take a wild guess and say that their authors use psyeudonyms, just like everyone else who's embarressed at what they do, the lesson here is if your too embarressed to admit what you do for a living because it's maybe immoral, well get a real job. ohhh and that I should read things more carefully, another good lesson.

Beckham investing in a pro team in Canada would be astonishing.

His impact, no pun intended, would be fantastic.

Lets forget about the crap in the article... and talk about that.

Personally, I like the idea of football games with lots of women at them.

What got me is the quote referred to someone called Benedict lafleur. I have never heard of a Francophone with that kind of given name ( Benedict). Think of a Brit trying to come up wth a fake french canadian name. Well he would probably have heard of Guy Lafleur. Next, he would make up a first name based on the first thing that comes to mind.

I didn't even notice the names to be honest, I think I was a little extra gullible cause *surprise surprise* I read the Toronto star here (which for anyone who never lived in Canada, is a respectable newspaper, well as much as any canadian newspaper) so the word star had me think legit and not phoney

Well he would probably have heard of Guy Lafleur.

Odds on he wouldn't, in my experience. Hockey was a very minor sport in the UK when Guy Lafleur was playing in the NHL. I'd never heard of Wayne Gretzky before coming to Canada . It's slightly higher profile now as a spectator sport and some people watch the NHL regularly on specialty sports channels on satellite TV but I suspect most people there still would know very little about it. The NFL tends to be the North American league that gets the most attention. Agreed on the Benedict as an obvious fake name bit though. The thought process was probably French speakers = Roman Catholic = lots of people named after Popes and saints = what's the current Pope called?

Email of one of the journalists: henry_austin@hotmail.com

DAVID BECKHAM: OUTRAGE IN MONTREAL AT CLUB TAKEOVER TALK

31st January 2010 By Henry Austin and Brad Hunter in Montreal

DAVID Beckham is facing a war with the French... in Canada.

The England footie ace is said to be in talks about a possible takeover of Montreal club The Impact.

But he has already run into opposition from the team’s sniffy French- Canadian fans in the Quebec province.

Long-time supporters’ club member Benjamin Joubert said: “Yet again, the English think they can come here and take over.

“The last thing we need is some football mercenary, with no connection to the city or the team, coming here.

“This club is ours and we won’t let that happen without a fight.”

Another fan, Benedict Lafleur, said: “Why can’t we have someone who is a French soccer hero like Zinedine Zidane as owner?

“Beckham may be a good player but he’s too English for Montreal.”

Supporter Michel Beaulieu said: “Beckham should just go back to England. It would be better with French ownership. Many don’t like Les Anglais.”

The Impact currently play in the North American Soccer League.

But Becks, 34, is said to be negotiating a partnership with owner Joey Saputo to help turn the club into a US Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise by 2012.

He is still under contract with MLS side LA Galaxy. But his deal allows him to own a club franchise when he finishes playing in the US.

And The Impact are considered a big opportunity to gain entry into the much larger and more prestigious league.

James Sharman, presenter of Canada’s The Footy Show, told the Daily Star Sunday: “Montreal is an international cosmopolitan city, befitting of the Beckhams.

“It could be a great move for David and Victoria. And on the surface, it makes sense.

“Beckham will likely stop playing around 2012, just about the same time that The Impact are speculated to be joining the ranks of MLS.

Impact owner Joey Saputo might also be looking for investors, as the expansion fee has reportedly been a bone of contention between him and the league.”

But as well as a frosty reception from the fans, David and Victoria, 35, would also have to brave freezing temperatures during the long, winter months in Montreal.

The record low is minus 37C. And on Friday, the temperature was -18C – but the wind-chill made it feel like -30C.

They would be expected to buy a property in Old Montreal or the posh Westmount district, said Montreal tourism publicist Rachael Dumont. One possibility is a 37-room, 17,000 sq ft waterfront mansion currently listed at the bargain basement price of £2.6million.

Ms Dumont also warned that the vibrant city – Canada’s second largest – had a free-wheeling attitude to sex and life.

She said: “Women will throw themselves at David, so Victoria had best watch out!

“We have more strip clubs here than anywhere else in the world.”

And the female population certainly seem keen to welcome David.

Resident Anne Bachan, 23, said: “He’s so gorgeous, I might even start going to games. But I’m sure there would also be a welcome for Victoria and the boys.

“The fans are already pretty crazy but if he came it would be chaos. It would really put the team on the map.”

• 1 month later...

Trust me on this guys

Im English and know this "newspaper"

Never ever believe a word from this peice of oversized toilet paper.

Its favorite subjects are BIG BROTHER and CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER.

It probably ran this because it missed the really big Beckham story regarding his reprisal of the Bobby Moore role in Vinny Jones' remake of the 1981 movie Escape to Victory, or Victory as it was called in North America.

Have a look at the front page

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/home/

I rest my case

No-one ever reads it anyway.

Trust me on this guys

Im English and know this "newspaper"

Never ever believe a word from this peice of oversized toilet paper.

Its favorite subjects are BIG BROTHER and CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER.

It probably ran this because it missed the really big Beckham story regarding his reprisal of the Bobby Moore role in Vinny Jones' remake of the 1981 movie Escape to Victory, or Victory as it was called in North America.

Have a look at the front page

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/home/

I rest my case

No-one ever reads it anyway.

Back down, mate! Why are you criticizing EMMA, 22, STOKE-ON- TRENT????

Archived