Saw the Cup today, it looks beaten up ...

Saw the Voyageurs Cup today during TFC's season seat relocation event. For a cup that's a few years old, it's not aging too well. The silver plating is coming off the cup in many places, the base looks like it has been dropped and has a giant crack in it.

I was surprised at how light it was though. When I saw it, it felt good to have been one of the original contributors.

Long live the Cup!

It was in good shape when I presented it two years ago, I didn't see any of the damage that Jarrek is reporting. In between Montreal has had it for a year, TFC for about 6 months with the CSA also taking it for some periods for among other things to attach the Championship plaques. Montreal also lost the expensive case for the Cup. Since Rudi presented it this year maybe he can comment about what shape it was in at that time. Regardless the CSA (or whoever is responsible for its current condition) should be spending the money to maintain it properly. It is much lighter than one would expect when one looks at it.

Honestly, I saw the trophy for all of about five seconds as I took it from the Mounties and handed it to Brennan, so I didn't really have time to notice much.

What I did notice was that there were no championship plaques (Grizzly mentioned that there now may be) and how bloody light the thing is.

I had some quality time :D with it since I brought it on the field and waited about 10 minutes with it on the side before the presentation. I didn't specifically look for any damage on it but it was in good shape in my recollection. I don't think Montreal took particularly good care of it (losing the case, not putting on championship plaques, never to my recollection displaying it) but they didn't damage the Cup itself unless they mishandled it in the year following year the presentation. I also recall something about the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame displaying it or wanting to display it but I am not sure if this occured or not. Regarding the Championship plaques, WF mentioned that the CSA was going to put them on since when they received the Cup from the Impact they noticed that Montreal had not done this. I don't know if this has been done yet. Regardless, whether or not the clubs or CSA/HOF have it during the year, whoever has it needs to ensure it is kept in good shape and whatever damage done to it is repaired. If not we should try to raise some money to repair it and buy a new case ourselves though at the moment I think that this should really be the CSA's responsibility.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Mexican women and now the Cup...man you are a predator! :D

It won't be long before Ed starts a thread about your whereabouts in the General Off-Topic section ;)

It is true that the Cup is not of legal age though the Mexican women were despite claims to the contrary by TFC fans.:D

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

If it keeps deteriorating, maybe we can donate a new V's cup for its 10th anniversary in 2012, and give the old one permanently to whatever team has won it the most (Mtl i guess).

I'd rather see the old cup on display in the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame, if they'd have it.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

If it keeps deteriorating, maybe we can donate a new V's cup for its 10th anniversary in 2012, and give the old one permanently to whatever team has won it the most (Mtl i guess).

Kind of reminds me of the discussion we had last Saturday at USIL. In retrospect the trophy/cup was great idea at the time. the idea to go with the current purchase was unanimously supported by all of us. A time when the scale a magnitutde of the competition was much smaller than what it is today. For example,

- The games were played as part of the regular season schedule

- The competetion was not televised

- The competition was not sanctioned nor sponsored

- There was no CCL spot in play.

All that changed and in view of the current situation, it wouldn't be a bad idae at looking at something more authentic. Had we known how it would turn out, I would have favored looking into something that is designed.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Kind of reminds me of the discussion we had last Saturday at USIL. In retrospect the trophy/cup was great idea at the time. the idea to go with the current purchase was unanimously supported by all of us. A time when the scale a magnitutde of the competition was much smaller than what it is today. For example,

- The games were played as part of the regular season schedule

- The competetion was not televised

- The competition was not sanctioned nor sponsored

- There was no CCL spot in play.

All that changed and in view of the current situation, it would be a bad idae at looking at something more authentic. Had we known how it would turn out, I would ahve favoured looking into something that is designed.

At least this didn't happen!

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

At least this didn't happen!

Oh my good god, that's priceless! The look on both of their faces just staring down at the broken cup right after they dropped it...it probably just broke on it's own from overuse, but the look of guilt on their faces is classic. Poor kids; right place, right time, wrong trophy [:I]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived