1 year Voyageurs Cup ban for Montreal.

In Italy Juventus was regated to Seria B when they cheated. Since there's no second division for the Voyageurs Cup, the Impact should be barred from taking part in next year's championship. It's "OUR" cup and the Impact disrespected it. We should decide what the consequences of their disgraceful performance should be. Montreal's conduct was unbecoming of our Cup.

For those who argue that the CSA controls this competition I would like to ask; "What is the criteria to enter a team into this competition?" I pose this question because I've have eleven friends who can play much better than the Impact team that was allowed to enter, and we'd love to represent Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Montreal did not cheat in any way. Why should they be banned?

So they put out a B team to rest their A team for a game they needed to win-and did. There's nothing in the rules that says who you have to play and who you can't.

You'll get over it.

what he said.

And when you look at that B team only the Mayard brother are fringe players, and one them, Elkana, would've played amnyway because of all the defenders that were hurt. Maybe you consider Djekanovic should be on the B team but he actually has MLS experience. The only player not in his place was PR Mayard, but with Sebrango gone and Amadou Gai hurt I think it's right he was played. With our strikers not scoring testing some new blood was a must. I'm ashamed of the way we played but to think we cheated is downright stupid.

Montreal can't be blamed for the lack of teams in the pool. Three teams hardly qualifies as a tournament. Had the CSA(?) organized this better there would be 4 - 6 teams in the tournament and certain games would be held simultaneously to avoid a B team being fielded.

As I've suggested before:

Whitecaps

Impact

TFC

CSL Champ

Maritimes Champ (best provincial squad or senior team)

Prairie Champ: AB, SK, MB (best provincial squad or senior team)

There would be a draw. Two pools. Three teams in each pool. Round-robin, home and away series for each pool.

Winner of Pool A faces off against winner of Pool B for the championship.

-----

Saskatoon played host to Toronto FC on a scorching afternoon at Griffiths Stadium Saturday. A sellout crowd of 5,462 was on hand to see the Reds take on hometown Arauco of Saskatoon's Men's Premier League. The fans, donning mostly red and white in support of Canada's most successful MLS team, were loud and raucous throughout.

Amado Guevara, captain of the Honduran national team, scored a goal from a set piece in the 68th minute. Unable to reply, Arauco eventually fell 2 - 0, but not without giving Saskatoon an amazing display of skill and hardwork.

Tannis Holmes brought her two sons Nathan and Jayden.

"Ahh, it was fantastic. My boys just love soccer. They both play and they just love it."

Connor MacCormack, a player with the University of Saskatchewan's Men's Huskies squad was also on hand for the match.

"It was incredible. To see a game of this calibre played in Saskatoon is awesome. It just goes to show that soccer is on the rise in this country and that we can still dare to dream. My friends and I are already talking about trying out for a couple men's premier teams to see if we can't have a chance one day."

Saskatoon Arauco, now 0 - 1, will fly to Vancouver June 2 to take on the Vancouver Whitecaps.

-----

You forgot to mention the raucous Saskatoon supporters who threw streamers at the TFC players every corner kick [:P]. Also, it wouldn't be Arauco who'd represent us, it'd be Huskie Alumni FC.

Interesting little scenario, though. It'd be nice if that could be true sooner rather than later.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

You forgot to mention the raucous Saskatoon supporters who threw streamers at the TFC players every corner kick [:P]. Also, it wouldn't be Arauco who'd represent us, it'd be Huskie Alumni FC.

Interesting little scenario, though. It'd be nice if that could be true sooner rather than later.

You're right. I just used Arauco as an example because they were THE men's team back when I was playing youth soccer in Saskatoon. I love that city. It's a soccer town: 7,000 registered youth players, 3,000 adult players. It doesn't get enough credit.

Guys like S. O'Hare, J. Tomchuk, the Northey brothers. Those were (and still are) some big names when I was there. They played on the Accelerators (CMISL) in 2008 as well. Those guys, given a bit of funding and a decent coach would make for some stiff competition.

It's important that Canadian soccer fans from ALL regions of the country are brought into the fold. The big 3 can't claim the monopoly.

I guess we only have ourselves to blame though. Our corporate sponsors are tight fisted. I don't see why Potash Corp. or even Earl's landscaping can't put up a few thousand dollars to help fund a men's team to represent saskatoon. Be it amateur, PDL, USL-2.

I just realized too that there may be a flaw in my proposal. Since amateur men's teams aren't recognized by the proper authorities (FIFA? CONCACAF? CSA?) would they not be able to take part in the tournament? What if they won? Would an amateur men's team from Saskatoon be allowed to take on a team like the Peurto Rico Islanders and have it count for something?

Then there's the money...

1 year ban from the Voyageurs Cup for Montreal?

Never. Going. to. Happen. Montreal won the cup seven (?) times, Toronto upgraded

its lineup (de Rosario, Serioux, Vitti, etc) to seriously win it, and Vancouver is the

USL-1 defending champ.

All teams have put in all stops to win this cup from day 1, and in the end, circumstances

and rules will appear to have affected the outcome, but it was never any team's intention

to lose in this competition. Toronto scored 6 goals with effort to win this, imho.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

Montreal can't be blamed for the lack of teams in the pool. Three teams hardly qualifies as a tournament. Had the CSA(?) organized this better there would be 4 - 6 teams in the tournament and certain games would be held simultaneously to avoid a B team being fielded.

As I've suggested before:

Whitecaps

Impact

TFC

CSL Champ

Maritimes Champ (best provincial squad or senior team)

Prairie Champ: AB, SK, MB (best provincial squad or senior team)

There would be a draw. Two pools. Three teams in each pool. Round-robin, home and away series for each pool.

Winner of Pool A faces off against winner of Pool B for the championship.

-----

Saskatoon played host to Toronto FC on a scorching afternoon at Griffiths Stadium Saturday. A sellout crowd of 5,462 was on hand to see the Reds take on hometown Arauco of Saskatoon's Men's Premier League. The fans, donning mostly red and white in support of Canada's most successful MLS team, were loud and raucous throughout.

Amado Guevara, captain of the Honduran national team, scored a goal from a set piece in the 68th minute. Unable to reply, Arauco eventually fell 2 - 0, but not without giving Saskatoon an amazing display of skill and hardwork.

Tannis Holmes brought her two sons Nathan and Jayden.

"Ahh, it was fantastic. My boys just love soccer. They both play and they just love it."

Connor MacCormack, a player with the University of Saskatchewan's Men's Huskies squad was also on hand for the match.

"It was incredible. To see a game of this calibre played in Saskatoon is awesome. It just goes to show that soccer is on the rise in this country and that we can still dare to dream. My friends and I are already talking about trying out for a couple men's premier teams to see if we can't have a chance one day."

Saskatoon Arauco, now 0 - 1, will fly to Vancouver June 2 to take on the Vancouver Whitecaps.

-----

Like the idea, BUT it would be preferable to have a provincial squads for the Prairies and Maritimes as the senior clubs already participate it the National Challenge Cup.

Just a thought.

As embarrassing as it was to sit through that debacle in the rain, I think it's clear after the two league wins for the Impact afterwards, that resting Grande, Pizzolitto, Jordan, Placentino et al was the correct tactical decision, if unpopular and very embarrassing, not to mention disastrous for Vancouver. Not sure where "cheating" comes into it since you cheat to gain an edge... what edge did Montreal gain in the V's Cup by resting their top 6 guys? They were already out.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

You're right. I just used Arauco as an example because they were THE men's team back when I was playing youth soccer in Saskatoon. I love that city. It's a soccer town: 7,000 registered youth players, 3,000 adult players. It doesn't get enough credit.

Guys like S. O'Hare, J. Tomchuk, the Northey brothers. Those were (and still are) some big names when I was there. They played on the Accelerators (CMISL) in 2008 as well. Those guys, given a bit of funding and a decent coach would make for some stiff competition.

It's important that Canadian soccer fans from ALL regions of the country are brought into the fold. The big 3 can't claim the monopoly.

I guess we only have ourselves to blame though. Our corporate sponsors are tight fisted. I don't see why Potash Corp. or even Earl's landscaping can't put up a few thousand dollars to help fund a men's team to represent saskatoon. Be it amateur, PDL, USL-2.

I just realized too that there may be a flaw in my proposal. Since amateur men's teams aren't recognized by the proper authorities (FIFA? CONCACAF? CSA?) would they not be able to take part in the tournament? What if they won? Would an amateur men's team from Saskatoon be allowed to take on a team like the Peurto Rico Islanders and have it count for something?

Then there's the money...

You forgot about my boy Kevin Holness, former star of the Winnipeg Fury of the CSL, and Montreal Impact of the APSL. He's doing great stuff for soccer in Saskatchewan.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

In Italy Juventus was regated to Seria B when they cheated. Since there's no second division for the Voyageurs Cup, the Impact should be barred from taking part in next year's championship. It's "OUR" cup and the Impact disrespected it. We should decide what the consequences of their disgraceful performance should be. Montreal's conduct was unbecoming of our Cup.

For those who argue that the CSA controls this competition I would like to ask; "What is the criteria to enter a team into this competition?" I pose this question because I've have eleven friends who can play much better than the Impact team that was allowed to enter, and we'd love to represent Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.

The disgraceful performance as you call it, allowed TFC to win the cup. Does that mean that their championship is tainted, or that their name on the cup should be proceeded by an aterix explaining that TFC beat a "C" side to win the cup?

Believe me. I am over it. If the integrity of this tournament continues to allow for this senerio to repeat itself, it will never see another dollar coming out of my wallet. Hopefully, a similar situation will not happen again next year. With only three teams participating, one team will have completed all of its engagements when the other two teams play the final match of the schedule. Hopefully, that team will not be three points up on one of the teams playing in that match. Hopefully there will not be a similar goal differential. And hopefully there will not be another lay down and die performance, cause otherwise this tournament will be dead in the water before you know it. In the meantime, GO TFC GO. You guys really deserve it!

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Montreal did not cheat in any way. Why should they be banned?

So they put out a B team to rest their A team for a game they needed to win-and did. There's nothing in the rules that says who you have to play and who you can't.

You'll get over it.

Move on. This is getting tedious. I'm sorry, but the team that was out there was a B team at the worst. There were a number of starters who were in the lineup. Not even a B team should lose 6-1. What happened was an absolute Meltdown in the style of the Santos Laguna game. There's always next year.

quote:Originally posted by TFCRegina

Move on. This is getting tedious. I'm sorry, but the team that was out there was a B team at the worst. There were a number of starters who were in the lineup. Not even a B team should lose 6-1. What happened was an absolute Meltdown in the style of the Santos Laguna game. There's always next year.

People are stuck talking about this when they see idiotic things like yours on the board.

It wasn't an absolute meltdown, it wasn't another Santos Laguna match, no matter how much you guys want to think it is.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

People are stuck talking about this when they see idiotic things like yours on the board.

It wasn't an absolute meltdown, it wasn't another Santos Laguna match, no matter how much you guys want to think it is.

Agree, it was a "TFC" because they scored not 5 but 6 goals against the Impact....:D

quote:Originally posted by Trident

See Loyola's post. Stop being bitter.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

No. As bitter as I am at Montreal folding like a cheap lawn chair no is my answer. They fielded a team that should have done better. They gave up and quit in front of their fans, their owner and on national TV. It was an onslaught from TFC and they were not prepared for it and they should have been. They played poorly just hoping to get it over with regardless of the score.

Rather than being banned listening to the chant of "six to one" constantly when they go to Toronto or Vancouver for years to come will be their punishment.

We need the Voyageurs Cup to be taken seriously and played at an intense level. No games should be considered less significant than a USL/MLS league game. The Voyageurs Cup IS OUR LEAGUE! We need the sponsors to see good quality play from all 3 teams to keep this going and growing.

The sad thing about this whole affair is that it was only a couple of months ago that this Vancouver resident was proud of how Montreal was representing Canada in the Concacaf champions league. I watched all of their matches and was pulling for the Impact all the way. The collapse in the final game in Mexico was a devastating dissapointment. I felt that J. L. made a tactical mistake by crawling into the defensive shell to protect the lead he had. By substituting forwards with defenders, he allowed the Mexicans to play just the way they needed to, which was all out attacking. If J. L. would have stuck with or brought on fresh attackers it would have forced the Mexicans to keep several defenders back, which would have relieved the pressure off of Montreal's defence. The game against TFC was in no way similar. There was no pressure on Montreal. They played like there was no pressure for half an hour, and then all of a sudden the whole output of the team changed. That is where I question the validity of this result. If the tapes of all of the matches in this championship were to be reviewed by an independent and knowlegeable committee, there is no question in my mind that they would agree that the last hour of the final match was FIXED! All the admiration that Montreal had earned with their efforts over the past season was flushed down the toilet in less than an hour.

Archived