09-10 CL draw

http://concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4776

TFC* will play the Puerto Rico Islanders in the first round.

If Vancouver qualifies, the 2 USL teams will play each other. What a coincidence!! Must be those magic balls Concacaf uses for their "draws".

Group C

Columbus Crew (USA)

Saprissa (CRC)

Cruz Azul (MEX)-Herediano (CRC)

Canada (TFC/Caps)- Puerto Rico Islanders (PUR)

* MTL-TFC 0-5

quote:Originally posted by Elias

If Vancouver qualifies, the 2 USL teams will play each other. What a coincidence!! Must be those magic balls Concacaf uses for their "draws."

I was not even aware CONCACRAP had draws... ;)

This is the same confederation that hand picks the groups for its show piece championship every two years and wont let Mexico or the USA meet in a quarter final even if thats how their group stage standing would dictate...

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Two Trinidadian and two Salvadorean teams left in it still but no sign of Jamaica whatsoever. Maybe the HEX participants are actually a sign of something happening at the domestic league/club level as well.

Jamaica originally had two entrants in the Caribeam Club Championship which qualifies three teams to the Champions LEague) but they both withdrew due to finances.

I smell Jack Warner's corrupt hand all the way in Vancouver. Jack Warner doesn't want to repeat the last "fiasco", when Montreal and PR Islanders, made it further than most MLS and MEX teams, which probably resulted in low ratings for CONCACAF and "embarassed" MLS, when the USL sides went further. I love the way PR Islanders play with passion, expect Vancouver to go for teh 0 - 0 draw in PR and eek out a 1 - 0 win in Vancouver. I expect PR to go out all out firing, as goal differential will play a role in going through.

Guest Jeffery S.

They say they will determine exact days and even order later, depending on league schedules. Does that mean the order shown in the draws does not signify first team gets first leg at home automatically?

Vancouver plays Puerto Rico at home on the 25th, a Saturday. The logical thing if we qualify would be to play the first leg at home that midweek, Puerto Rico staying in Van those days, even though it does give PR the second leg home advantage.

Best day to play would be the Tuesday, the 28th.

That same week Vancouver is away to Rochester on the Friday night and to Cleveland on the next day, August 1. The logical step for scheduling would be to go to Puerto Rico after that game and play midweek the second leg.

Problem is that Vancouver then has to be in Portland on the Thursday, the 6th, and play at home Friday eve, the 7th. Very tight. If anythng the game they may want to change is the Portland match. Or, if PR accept, play the away leg the next week, as Van has nothing from August 7 to August 15.

PR has no scheduling conflict, after away to Caps on the 25th they play one match on each of the next two weekends, at home.

If TFC go through I don't think they have the scheduling conflicts either.

Group stage: the idea of Cruz Azul, Columbus Crew and Saprissa in Vancouver is incredible, very difficult group, but very attractive games. I think they should consider at least the extra stands like during the u20 WC, because all of those matches are hot.

The Canadian entrant will have the most difficult of the prelim matches. PR is no push-over, and definitely showed up last year all throughout the competition. Group C is the group of death, no doubt about it. I want to see Canadian CCL action next march, but whoever goes for us won't have an easy time.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

The good news is that if the canadian club goes to 1/4 final, the Concacaf won't have any other choice than give a better canadian representation (maybe not a 2nd team but at least direct qualification to group phase)

So your saying Vancouver needs to get the quarters ?

I cant imagine TFC getting out of the group .. if they happen to make it in.

Mo would be in shock having to have his team .. in the CCL, he is over his head in MLS.. going CCL would well .. be embarassing for the folks of MLSE... and they surely are getting idea the MoJo magic with fans is about up now.

Guest Jeffery S.

Is true no one would expect Vancouver to get out of that group, but I think TFC would have problems too, quite right.

Whitecaps-Cruz Azul is the one of the most prestigious official club matches in Canada ever. I think it is more important than any NASL game as those teams don't exist anymore, maybe the names but not the teams. League doesn't either. Cruz Azul is the most prestigious and storied club to play an official match in Canada. Eight leagues, two cups and five Concacaf championships. The most important club to visit Canada in an official match? Ever?

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

I smell Jack Warner's corrupt hand all the way in Vancouver. Jack Warner doesn't want to repeat the last "fiasco", when Montreal and PR Islanders, made it further than most MLS and MEX teams, which probably resulted in low ratings for CONCACAF and "embarassed" MLS, when the USL sides went further. I love the way PR Islanders play with passion, expect Vancouver to go for teh 0 - 0 draw in PR and eek out a 1 - 0 win in Vancouver. I expect PR to go out all out firing, as goal differential will play a role in going through.

The best attendances were in the Big O, and then in Torreon, weren't they? I'd say Montréal added some legitimacy to the LdC attendance numbers, and Jack would be stupid to try to hold back Vancoiuver and a renovated BC Place(would it be ready?)

But then again...jack isn't that smart.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

TFC* will play the Puerto Rico Islanders in the first round.

If Vancouver qualifies, the 2 USL teams will play each other. What a coincidence!! Must be those magic balls Concacaf uses for their "draws".

Group C

Columbus Crew (USA)

Saprissa (CRC)

Cruz Azul (MEX)-Herediano (CRC)

Canada (TFC/Caps)- Puerto Rico Islanders (PUR)

* MTL-TFC 0-5

damn. i was gonna say there's no chance of us (thinking with my TFC cap on) making it past the first round. maybe not even past puerto rico. but then i remembered. the caps are representing us this year. excellent. they just might squeak into 2nd place then to go through. the Islanders will pose a bit of a problem. if we (Caps hat on now) can beat them we can finish 2nd or 3rd in the group. (hopefully 2nd obviously)

So after this years edition on the CCL, CONCACAF will make a review and possibly some adjustments in regards to seeding and allotment. So maybe IF a Canadian team makes it past the group stage in the 3rd edition of CCL we might simply get seeded directly into a group skipping the preliminary round. As for a second spot, dream on guys with 3 "pro" teams in the country no f---ing way it's gonna happen. Until we have either like 7-8 Canadian Teams or a league then we only hav 1 spot that's it. The only thing we might get with good results is Group seeding.

Here is the schedule for the prelim round.

http://concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4779

home teams listed first

FIRST LEG

Tuesday, July 28

D.C. United (USA) vs. Chalatenango (SLV), 8 p.m.

Vancouver Whitecaps or Toronto FC (CAN) vs. Puerto Rico Islanders (PUR), 10 p.m. Jalapa (GUA) vs. Pachuca (MEX), 10 p.m.

Wednesday, July 29

San Francisco (PAN) vs. San Juan Jabloteh, 8 p.m.

Liberia (CRC) vs. Real Espana (HON), 10 p.m.

Thursday, July 30

W Connection (TRI) vs. New York Red Bulls (USA), 8 p.m.

Cruz Azul (MEX) vs. Herediano (CRC), 10 p.m.

Olimpia (HON) vs. Arabe Unido (PAN), 10 p.m.

SECOND LEG

Tuesday, August 4

Puerto Rico Islanders (PUR) vs. Vancouver or Toronto (CAN), 8 p.m.

Chalatenango (SLV) vs. D.C. United (USA), 10 p.m.

Wednesday, August 5

New York Red Bulls (USA) vs. W Connection (TRI), 8 p.m.

Pachuca (MEX) vs. Jalapa (GUA), 8 p.m.

Herediano (CRC) vs. Cruz Azul (MEX), 10 p.m.

Thursday, August 6

Arabe Unido (PAN) vs. Olimpia (HON), 8 p.m.

San Juan Jabloteh (TRI) vs. San Francisco (PAN), 8 p.m.

Real Espana (HON) vs. Liberia (CRC), 10 p.m.

Archived