Marc Dos Santos not to field top squad vs tfc

For an organization that whined about Government hand-outs to Toronto, and an organization that shot itself in the foot in the expansion process...it would be stupid for Montreal to do anything but field a good side, and put up a professional effort against TFC.

This is potentially another building block in these two teams future history and rivalry. I highly doubt Montreal will chuck it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Montreal want's to lay down and die on national T.V., then that's their business. However, if this game turn's out to be a farce, then what are the chances that Nutilite, or for that fact any other potential sponsors, would continue investing dollars into this championship.

Guest Jeffery S.

This whole debate would not exist if we would simply follow a basic principle applied the world over: competitions have incentives.

There should be a standard incentive for all teams based on points obtained, like in the Champions League. Of course it could be modest, but it should be there.

Players negotiate performance bonuses before a season everywhere in the world, and maybe in North America, but I don't know. Individual and team goals met are rewarded with bonuses.

In both cases tying these to results in the V-Cup would shut this debate up, as even a small financial incentive is enough to ensure no one will lay down, and no one will betray their younger or worse-paid teammates, for whom the quantity may matter more.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

This whole debate would not exist if we would simply follow a basic principle applied the world over: competitions have incentives.

There should be a standard incentive for all teams based on points obtained, like in the Champions League. Of course it could be modest, but it should be there.

Players negotiate performance bonuses before a season everywhere in the world, and maybe in North America, but I don't know. Individual and team goals met are rewarded with bonuses.

In both cases tying these to results in the V-Cup would shut this debate up, as even a small financial incentive is enough to ensure no one will lay down, and no one will betray their younger or worse-paid teammates, for whom the quantity may matter more.

Not sure how the USL teams handle this, but incentives for external competitions are included in the MLS CBA, I believe.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Not to bring the CSL or PCSL debate into this forum, but cash incentives will also erase the fear that Semi-Pro sides in Canadian leagues across Canada wont be able to afford to represent Canada in the CCL.

It might pave the way for an amateur torny, the Canadian Open Cup, as a qualifier for the the Nutrilite Championship and CCL qualifier :)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by kyam

Not to bring the CSL or PCSL debate into this forum, but cash incentives will also erase the fear that Semi-Pro sides in Canadian leagues across Canada wont be able to afford to represent Canada in the CCL.

It might pave the way for an amateur torny, the Canadian Open Cup, as a qualifier for the the Nutrilite Championship and CCL qualifier :)

Let's say they make the incentive 10,000 CDN for every point in the tournament. Six games means a maximum 180000 (6 wins at 3 pts each), minimum 120000 (all draws).

Last year there were 4 wins and two draws, 16 points in total. That is the added budget you'd need, rewards to the teams for hard competiting, a compensation for the travel costs, for the scheduling hassles, whatever. Prizes for a national championship.

You can't oblige a team to share that with the players, that is true, it is something the captains would have to negotiate before the year begins. But I think it is a decent incentive, you offer the players 30% of that, or 20% of the sum obtained or 30% for winning the cup, for example. For all players called up to the respective games, on the field or bench. There are a lot of systems for bonuses but usually you should play or be called to play to get them.

This would mean, to follow through, that a team only getting 4 points out of a tournament would get 40,000 dollars; you split 30% (12 grand) with 20 players, and that is 600 bucks each. Not a lot, but if you make 20 grand a year playing it is 3% of your income, if you make 50 grand it is 1.2 % of your income. Incentive enough I'd say, however modest.

So, let's say a club has one point on five games. The difference between staying there with that point or winning the final match would be 450 bucks for each player, according to this scenario.

What is so odd or unusual about a system of prizes like that?

I like how this went from an article saying that MDS might leave 1-3 players off the roster, to some people saying Montreal are "throwing the game" and "laying down and dying".

I doubt he's gonna play the TR attak against Toronto, he's probably just letting some youth run about.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

This reminds of a similar situation...

World Cup Argentina 1978.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,716615,00.html

Argentina 6 Peru 0, 1978

"Needing to beat Peru by at least four goals to qualify for the 1978 final, Argentina won 6-0 after an inexplicably poor performance by a Peru team that had topped a group containing Holland earlier in the tournament. Eyebrows were immediately raised in the direction of Peruvian goalkeeper Quiroga, who had a shocker, and then issued a denial of any skulduggery before any accusations had even been made. It was alleged that the Argentine military junta paid $50m into a fund for Peruvian players, their families and football figures in the country to ensure the necessary result."

Argentinian bastards. Anyways, MLSE isn't about to bribe any Impact players, OR ARE THEY????

The bribes would have to fit under the salary cap! [}:)]

Some news from the Montreal Impact Backline.

According to Radio Canada Cédric Joqueviel and Adam Braz will not play, They are still hurt, same for Nevio but he should be back this week end against Vancouver. Also Zanzan just left Montreal for Togo to play in WCQ. Finally Stefano Pesoli is ready to play, he won't start but he should be on the bench.

Up front Eduardo Sebrango will not be there, he left for Cuba for family reasons.

I'm sure Dos Santos with his comment is just trying to sell as many game-tickets as possible for Mr. Saputo. The match will more than likely need to be shifted to the Big O at the last minute due to his strategic remark. Thank Dio, Dos Santos isn't like most coaches around the world, who keep their starting line-ups to themselves until just before kick-off. I expect to see nothing less than 50,000 Impact supporters on T.V. to-morrow evening.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

I'm sure Dos Santos with his comment is just trying to sell as many game-tickets as possible for Mr. Saputo. The match will more than likely need to be shifted to the Big O at the last minute due to his strategic remark. Thank Dio, Dos Santos isn't like most coaches around the world, who keep their starting line-ups to themselves until just before kick-off. I expect to see nothing less than 50,000 Impact supporters on T.V. to-morrow evening.

Oh, the point of all that was what? Dealing with injuries, WCQ and family cancers means he's a mickey mouse coach?

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Some news from the Montreal Impact Backline.

According to Radio Canada Cédric Joqueviel and Adam Braz will not play, They are still hurt, same for Nevio but he should be back this week end against Vancouver. Also Zanzan just left Montreal for Togo to play in WCQ. Finally Stefano Pesoli is ready to play, he won't start but he should be on the bench.

Up front Eduardo Sebrango will not be there, he left for Cuba for family reasons.

Geez, good news all around for TFC, bad news for Vancouver, and maybe a match worth watching just for the drama.

Ho-boy. This is going to be fun. The Duz might not have fingernails left by the final whistle.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Geez, good news all around for TFC, bad news for Vancouver, and maybe a match worth watching just for the drama.

Ho-boy. This is going to be fun. The Duz might not have fingernails left by the final whistle.

Braz not starting is hardly to TFC's favour unless you are playing Velez ;)

With Montreal's depth I'm not worried. Srdjan in net will be fine as will the rest of the team.

Impact is playing in front of THEIR Crowd. And believe me N O player on earth wants to lose @ home by 4goals against any oponnent. On top of that this ain't some Serie D teams and no player will take a dive for it. Some say why risk injury in a meaningless game, true for the "guaranteed" starters. But imagine yourself being on the reserve bench all season long and only coming into a game in the last 5-8min when the fate of the game has been sealed. That's the perfect oportunity for any Montreal player to have their 5min of fame the next day with a picture and an article:

****** Arrete TFC dans sa quete pour la Ligue Des Champions.

A number of player might shine it could be someone that scores or it could be some defender or goalie that makes an amazing save. I remember JELEN from the Polish national side played what 20minutes in the game against Ecuador at the World Cup in Germany. Poland lost but JELEN hit the crossbar and now plays for Auxerre and is known in France as a great player.

Impact not fielding the "strongest" squad means S H I T all. Some of the reserve players might be hungrier to play against TFC than others will ever be. At the end it will be 2teams & 1ball I predict a 2-0 or a 1-1draw.

Montreal is out anyway but kicking TFC in the nuts(thus embarassing MLS once more) will make some players(and fans) happy.

Guest Jeffery S.

I hope there is a Vancouver contingent there, right in the box beside the other "dignitaries". I would like to see Bobby there. Hell, send the entire Lenarduzzi family out.

The Whitecaps should be having lunch with the other team directors and board members. And Kerfoot should pick up the tab. Best investment they could be making today.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

The game has been taken off the board at Bet365.com. A Toronto win only paid 1.36 but still, seems strange.

Makes sense since the important result is neither win, draw or lose.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

The game has been taken off the board at Bet365.com. A Toronto win only paid 1.36 but still, seems strange.

It was taken off yesterday because they thought the game was last night- the listing was June 17th 20:00. It isn't back in it's regular spot in the Soccer section, but it is offered in the "highlights" section in the bottom-right hand column of the homepage.

Bet 365 is nuts, they take bets on Australian lower-division State leagues FFS! You can also bet on Swedish 3rd Division matches today...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

It was taken off yesterday because they thought the game was last night- the listing was June 17th 20:00. It isn't back in it's regular spot in the Soccer section, but it is offered in the "highlights" section in the bottom-right hand column of the homepage.

Bet 365 is nuts, they take bets on Australian lower-division State leagues FFS! You can also bet on Swedish 3rd Division matches today...

Even the CSL as well

Hmm... wonder what it'd take to get Saskatoon Div. 5 on there. [:P]

This is going to be a hard faught game, no doubt. I don't think it should even be questioned if Montreal will play their guts out. Whether they will be able to weather the storm with a limited bench is another factor.

It appeared there were more TFC fans at the S.S. than those supporting the Impact. Yeah, I'd say that publically airing out all his problems was pretty Mickey Mouse.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Oh, the point of all that was what? Dealing with injuries, WCQ and family cancers means he's a mickey mouse coach?

quote:Originally posted by Robert

It appeared there were more TFC fans at the S.S. than those supporting the Impact. Yeah, I'd say that publically airing out all his problems was pretty Mickey Mouse.

It appears that you're trolling, because they're obviously weren't more TFC fans. Sure, there were a fair bit, but they did not have the majority of the stadium, not even close.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

It appears that you're trolling, because they're obviously weren't more TFC fans. Sure, there were a fair bit, but they did not have the majority of the stadium, not even close.

in the 84th minute there were ;)

Archived