Marc Dos Santos not to field top squad vs tfc

While I was reading Le Journal de Montreal on my break at work today I came across and quote from Dos Santos saying he will not field his best squad vs Toronto in a pointless game for his squad and risk any injury.

Personally I have mixed feelings about this because as much as I'd love to see us put up a great battle vs tfc this club has be desimated by injuries and any further injuries would deffinetley cripple our chances at a 3rd USL title. Now obviously Whitecaps won't be too pleased about this, mind you tfc still needs to win by four and I dont remember....ughh wait memory lane is too painful.

So by Dos Santos saying that what could that meen? Jordan surely won't be playing, not to mention other notable players, mind you not that Jordan has been Mr. Incredible so far this season.Oh well whichever boys Dos Santos puts on the pitch for our starting XI they'll put up a battle, after all its not like some Seria A scandle in the making, or is it... [:o)]

Montreal Allez Allez

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by mtl-supporter23

While I was reading Le Journal de Montreal on my break at work today I came across and quote from Dos Santos saying he will not field his best squad vs Toronto in a pointless game for his squad and risk any injury.

Personally I have mixed feelings about this because as much as I'd love to see us put up a great battle vs tfc this club has be desimated by injuries and any further injuries would deffinetley cripple our chances at a 3rd USL title. Now obviously Whitecaps won't be too pleased about this, mind you tfc still needs to win by four and I dont remember....ughh wait memory lane is too painful.

So by Dos Santos saying that what could that meen? Jordan surely won't be playing, not to mention other notable players, mind you not that Jordan has been Mr. Incredible so far this season.Oh well whichever boys Dos Santos puts on the pitch for our starting XI they'll put up a battle, after all its not like some Seria A scandle in the making, or is it... [:o)]

Montreal Allez Allez

Just let us know if Dos Santos shows up at SS in a brand new luxury vehicle any time soon.:D

Actually, come to think of it, the 'Caps fans should start worrying if the referee, and Montreal's goalie, both show up for that game in a brand new luxury cars!

As an infamous Eastern European football match-fixer is reputed to have said when asked why he was more successful at fixing matches than his erstwhile peers: "what they didn't know is that buying the referee wasn't good enough; you had to buy at least one player as well."

Sandbagging games that are mathematically meaningless to your club is an established tradition in our great sport. Hell, it may as well have been Man U reserves that knocked Newcastle out of the EPL last month.

And even a team drawn entirely from Trois-Rivieres should be able to keep the scoreline within 3, barring a complete meltdown. And even the top squad is capable of a complete meltdown, so this seems like a tactically defensible move. But I can feel Vancouver's pain.

quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

Sandbagging games that are mathematically meaningless to your club is an established tradition in our great sport.

That may be true, but it isn't what North American sports fans expect. It is exactly what all the Jim Rome/Don Cherry "soccer is for wusses" would expect.

I don't know how you could pull a stunt like that and think people will pay to attend the match or corporate sponsors will want to be affiliated with your club.

Maybe it is the new math.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

I'm surprised that the CSA didn't make fielding the strongest possible teams in each game mandatory for all three participants. On second thoughts though given it is the CSA we are talking about here I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise.

???

Do we know an example of one tournament or league where such a rule exists? How can the CSA be the judge of coaching selections in term of who is playing?

I think the only way to avoid such a situation is to have $$$ given to the winner of each game and even that wouldn't guarantee that each team would play it's best players in every games.

Guest Jeffery S.

I argued before this even started last year that there should be prizes for points won in the competition, financial prizes, and that the players should be ensured a cut of them by their clubs.

The reaction was how could I suggest that a professional would not show up and give his 100%. Now who was naive?

The fact that we have a sponsored Cup and there are no money incentives to go through or get points is, in my view, totally archaic.

Apart from this, hope Srdjan plays and a few others not getting time and motivated to show their worth. Only question is whether Serge has more of a grudge vs. Vancouver or Toronto?

Short answer is yes, loyola. In a British context there are usually rules that state that teams have to field full strength teams in league games.

http://www.footballfevr.com/2009/05/relegation-threatened-clubs-threaten-sue-man-united/

So what does this really mean?

This means that if Sir Alex decides to rest some of his stars against Hull, United could end up with a big fine for bringing the league into disrepute by breaching one of the rules.

Yes, according to Paragraph E20 of the Premier League, the rule states: “In every league match each participating club should field a full strength team.â€

If the CSA is serious about selling this competition to broadcasters and sponsors, all three participants should take all four of their games in it seriously.

Thanks for this link but my question still remains, at which point a squad isn't consider "full strength"? If Dos Santos make 3 changes to his typical starting lineup is that enough for the Whitecaps to complain? 5 changes? 6 changes?

Also, do we have an example of a team being found guilty of not respecting paragraph E20? Do we have a ruling with an interpretation of what "full strength" means?

As far as I'm concern a team who's playing a meaningless game has a right to field any players that are in their squad and no one has a right to complain about that.

I think all 3 teams are taking this tournament seriously

but like we've seen in numerous WC or tournament of the same kind, when a team is out or already qualified for the next round before playing their last group game, they often introduce a certain number of back up players.

^Full strength team meaning 16 players dressed. End of story.

They also have to make provision for a trainer, team mascot and oranges at halftime.

Somebody is fishing there.

Back to the Impact. If they want to see TFC handed their 1st piece of silverware in Stade Saputo that's their business. Not that I think it's going to but it would be worth the laugh to see it happen. Especially after Montreal's success last year in the CCL. That was a huge tourny for the club and now they want to be practical and make TFC's job easier IN THEIR BUILDING.

There are times in sport when pride needs to trump sterile logic and a good manager knows this. Or, apparently, doesn't.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

This squad:

Djekanovic

Gatti Surprenant Mayard DeRoux

Brillant Sakuda Mayard Donatelli

Amadou-Gai

Byers

Probably wouldn't concede 4 goals to TFC.

I agree and given Montreal's depth I don't see it being a problem.

It is a nice mix of players and the ones who have not been getting a lot of first team action will want to prove themselves so I don't see motivation being an issue. That and this is Montreal vs Toronto so no way do the Impact want to lose at all much less by 4 at home on grass, in front of their fans and nationwide on TV.

I dont believe that Dos Santos is going to go with a lineup of unknowns. There is enough depth on this team to field 2 starting 11's. Also Toronto has to scor 4, and not concede any in the preocess (for those comparing this match with Santos Laguna, played in mexico).

Also players getting a rare start, might come out to impress, especially playing a "MLS" side,

I suspect at the end of the day we might be wondering how Toronto could have fielded such a poor lineup. Resting key players is not throwing in the towel; I look forward to a hard fought match by the Impact.

I certainly hope the Impact fields a strong lineup. I would lose a lot of respect for Dos Santos if they don't. I wouldn't mind seeing a few new guys who in their short appearances looked like they had the potential to be as good or better as those they would replace such as Djekanovic and Gai.

quote:Originally posted by brownbear

Actually, come to think of it, the 'Caps fans should start worrying if the referee, and Montreal's goalie, both show up for that game in a brand new luxury cars!

As an infamous Eastern European football match-fixer is reputed to have said when asked why he was more successful at fixing matches than his erstwhile peers: "what they didn't know is that buying the referee wasn't good enough; you had to buy at least one player as well."

This reminds of a similar situation...

World Cup Argentina 1978.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,716615,00.html

Argentina 6 Peru 0, 1978

"Needing to beat Peru by at least four goals to qualify for the 1978 final, Argentina won 6-0 after an inexplicably poor performance by a Peru team that had topped a group containing Holland earlier in the tournament. Eyebrows were immediately raised in the direction of Peruvian goalkeeper Quiroga, who had a shocker, and then issued a denial of any skulduggery before any accusations had even been made. It was alleged that the Argentine military junta paid $50m into a fund for Peruvian players, their families and football figures in the country to ensure the necessary result."

Argentinian bastards. Anyways, MLSE isn't about to bribe any Impact players, OR ARE THEY????

Guest Jeffery S.

The proper (Spanish) way to do this is for the third party (Vancouver) to get a third party (a former player, a business person), to call someone with clout in the Impact dressing room, and offer him a cash reward for getting a result that benefits Vancouver. Simple as that. An award for not getting beaten, an incentive, clearly outlined (all those on the pitch and bench for the match get a cut).

The person of influence in the dressing room would simply have to convince the rest of the players, behind the Impact management's and coaching staff's back, that the deal was a good one. And accept when called back a few days later.

We are so backwards in Canada it is sad. Money for winning, is that so un-Canadian?

quote:Originally posted by brettinhalifax

That may be true, but it isn't what North American sports fans expect. It is exactly what all the Jim Rome/Don Cherry "soccer is for wusses" would expect.

This is incorrect. The Cleveland Cavaliers did this in their final home game of the season. Despite being able to tie the record for most home wins in a season, they rested all of their starters in the final game and lost.

I would say that sandbagging games is more prevelant in North American sports than it is in football.

Archived