De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Been going through various press reports out of Coruña and it seems clearer that Julian will not likely receive an offer from Depor to continue. Lately he has not been called into a few squads, and has spent time on the bench being healthy, not his typical situation when he was in favour. The squad has improved and some players have come into their own, and Julian is no longer seen as a key piece on the team.

Interesting to see what the offers are going to be. As we know, Spurs were interested, and reports say that recently they had someone scouting him. We have also heard about the interest of Benfica. And 10 days ago reports came out that Jiménez at Sevilla would like to have Julian on the squad. One of the most interesting developments yet, as Sevilla is one of those 3 or 4 Spanish clubs that would be a step up, discounting clubs like Madrid and Barça that would not likely be interested in signing him.

Since Sevilla lost Poulson they have been missing the classic hard hitting defensive mid, they are deep in attacking and creative mids but thin on hard working types in front of the defence.

As Julian comes free, out of contract, that should mean a major signing bonus and even very favourable salary terms. And if it is Sevilla, in the mix for a Champions spot, that would be incredibly positive for his development.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Julian is still owed tremendous amounts of money from Depor, so I think not receiving an offer from the club might be due to the fact that he's told them "I'm not interested in coming back unless you pay me what you owe me".

Julian is going to get a lot of interest. However, Lotina choosing to keep him on the bench has to be a bit of a pain for scouts from other teams who want to see him play.

I personally hope he stays in Spain. Sevilla would be fantastic

Sevilla would be a great step up for De Guzman. If Depor isn´t playing him regularly than he should move on. I really don´t know enough about how their system works in terms of him getting his wages first though. Also, as I´ve said before, we´ll take him on Zaragoza in a second. I´d still be happy just to watch him when he comes to town though, since we´re getting promoted back to our normal league this year!!! Viva Zaragoza!!!!!!!! Viva De Guzman!!!!!

PS: I´ll be the only english speaking guy in the crowd cheering you on Julian, but I do have to wear my RZ colours.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ Julian is still owed tremendous amounts of money from Depor, so I think not receiving an offer from the club might be due to the fact that he's told them "I'm not interested in coming back unless you pay me what you owe me".

Julian is going to get a lot of interest. However, Lotina choosing to keep him on the bench has to be a bit of a pain for scouts from other teams who want to see him play.

I personally hope he stays in Spain. Sevilla would be fantastic

You are right about him being owed money, or at least about the ongoing conflict. It was not pushed under the rug, only Julian wanted it to be a less visible factor in his possible renovation. But if he is owed money and goes on a free transfer to another club being out of contract, I imagine he will simply proceed legally with his claim and continue playing elsewhere. Depor has had legal conflicts with highly beloved players, like the SuperDepor captain Fran, so I don't even think the fans will blame him, they know how their club is run.

Earlimus, when are you coming down to BCN for a drink?

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

I wish it were this weekend... Sometimes this summer I´m sure. Weekends in Barca for me usually consist of waking up in the afternoon and not recalling too much of the night before.

They also consist of getting public urination tickets and getting grabbed and heckled by prostitutes.

Julian's agent has legally filed action vs Deportivo. Good Luck Julian, Roy McKay was in the same situation and the Roy finally received his money just last year.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

You are right about him being owed money, or at least about the ongoing conflict. It was not pushed under the rug, only Julian wanted it to be a less visible factor in his possible renovation. But if he is owed money and goes on a free transfer to another club being out of contract, I imagine he will simply proceed legally with his claim and continue playing elsewhere. Depor has had legal conflicts with highly beloved players, like the SuperDepor captain Fran, so I don't even think the fans will blame him, they know how their club is run.

Earlimus, when are you coming down to BCN for a drink?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

They also consist of getting public urination tickets and getting grabbed and heckled by prostitutes.

Another Anglo dragging himself drunk down the Ramblas between fake Irish pubs?

Yes, Barcelona is a special city for those who are looking for that something special.

How much did you have in that wallet they picked while you were slurring away right in their faces?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Another Anglo dragging himself drunk down the Ramblas between fake Irish pubs?

Yes, Barcelona is a special city for those who are looking for that something special.

How much did you have in that wallet they picked while you were slurring away right in their faces?

Do they not have plastic bags to piss in in Spain ?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Do they not have plastic bags to piss in in Spain ?

Unless you bring your own you have to pay for them, we are getting more and more like Canada.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I wonder how his uncertain club situation will affect his availability for the GC this summer?

it depends on where he goes?

if he stays in Spain or possibly finds a team in Italy, I think he will be available for GC.

if he lands in Germany or England, GC might be tough because it falls smack in the middle of preseason.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

it depends on where he goes?

if he stays in Spain or possibly finds a team in Italy, I think he will be available for GC.

if he lands in Germany or England, GC might be tough because it falls smack in the middle of preseason.

Sounds reasonable to me...here's hoping he signs on with a new club in Spain!:)

EXCLUSIVE: Deportivo's Julian De Guzman On Premier League Move

Goal.com

45 minutes ago

Buzz up! PrintJulian de Guzman has revealed that he would prefer to stay in Spain if he were to leave Deportivo La Coruna in the summer, despite reported interest from English clubs.

The Canadian international knows that he may have to leave the Riazor in the summer with the club looking to balance their books. Sevilla, Villarreal and Benfica have also been rumoured to be interested in the Deportivo midfielder.

While Tottenham Hotspur remain a candidate, De Guzman is not ready to make any statements about his future until the end of the season.

"At the moment there are only rumours," he told Goal.com. "The truth is that my situation here is complicated.

"My agent has been working hard for the past few weeks and soon I will talk to him and see what we can do.

"There are some big teams being linked with me and I would prefer to stay in Spain, but I have to think seriously about what will be the best decision for me."

Deportivo are in the European places and De Guzman thinks that they must now hold on and make it into the Europa League next term.

"There are still a few games left and if we continue with this form then I think that we could achieve that," he added.

Lucas Brown, Goal.com

Go to Goal.com for the world’s most comprehensive soccer coverage.

I was sent this article regarding Julian's future at la Coruna:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/05/02/1242018/lotina-convinced-that-lafita-and-de-guzman-wont-be-at-deportivo-l

After reading Lotina's comments, it made me wonder why he was never asked if club management thinks the massive sum of $ that is still owed to Julian has any impact on his likely decision to leave the club. It's hard to feel loyal to an employer when they don't hold up their end of the bargain (specifically, paying what is contractually obligated).

Gotta wonder who long its going to take JDG to get what is owed to him.

Guest Jeffery S.

Apart from believing Julian when he says he wants to stay in Spain, for soccer and personal reasons, there may be another thing: his agent might feel it will be easier for him to get what is owed him if still playing in La Liga. I know, in principle, that justice should not work that way, but in reality it does.

Another little factor for Julian, speculating here: Depor does not re-sign him and he goes to a club that is superior in results, like Villareal--a new rumour-- or Sevilla. That makes folks in Coruña ask why he was good enough for those clubs, why they did not try for a transfer payment instead of letting him go free, or why they did not offer him another contract and pay him what he's owed along with it. Having him as a competitive rival in La Liga next year will make the club look bad.

I also think, knowing how these things work, that the Villareal and Sevilla rumours are meant to provoke precisely this kind of speculation, that his agent is probably playing them out as a way of pressuring Depor as well. But they make sense, surprisingly. As I mentioned, Sevilla is missing someone to fill Poulson's boots, and Villareal have just seen in their Arsenal quarter finals and recent Liga results what it means to have Marco Senna injured with no comparable replacement.

^ The Premireship is arguably the best league, but so is La Liga. Premiership has the best "top 4" clubs of any league but that doesn't make it a better league. Furthermore, Canada plays in CONCACAF (mabye you weren't aware). How is the Premiership going to prepare you for that? La Liga is best for him. The Villarreal rumor is interesting for me more than Seville because he would be second choice to Marco Senna, as Jeffrey pointed out.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think Julian is pretty well past "improvement" in the developmental sense. Of course he can get better, like all players can. For example, he could learn to shoot on goal. Every coach can teach you something, and he has obviously learnt a lot in Spain.

But you have to admit that having him on a team in Champions league would be a lot of fun. And when you are talking Sevilla and Villareal, two of the teams that scout the best in Europe (because they are not traditionally in the top tier of European clubs), that is a big complement and has to make him a bit more relaxed about next season.

Guest Jeffery S.

Very grave news out of Coruña: coach Lotina has announced that he is not going to play De Guzmán or Lafita any more this year. After a meeting with the two players, along with senior squad members, he formalized the announcement, saying that they understood. The reasons are complex, but Lotina claims that they have not been training properly (they "train like potatoes", he said), that there are others doing the job better, and that he is upset by declarations by their representatives. Since, as he claims, it is highly possible they are not going to be with the club next year, he seems to not want to showcase them for other clubs wanting to pick them up, though he claims it is because others are doing better in their positions.

Lafita is the leading scorer on the team this season.

Both Julian and Lafita have possibilities to move on next year. I think Lafita is a Zaragoza player though Depor had an option on him, though if Zaragoza promotes he may have to go back. As for De Guzmán, Lotina has openly questioned his reps intelligence, saying that the rep was wrong to try to pressure him as coach with his declarations.

In any case, reading fan forums, a majority are in agreement with what seems to me to be a decision entirely based on his contractual and economic situation with the club, and not at all on his play or training. Does anyone really believe Julian does not train well?

A minority of Depor fans believe that since the team is fighting for a UEFA spot with an outside chance at a Champions spot, they should count on all the players available, bar none.

But what more can we say, Julian has not had a great year, and Lotina thinks leaving him off the squad will unify those who are being called up, as the team makes it final run for a UEFA spot. They are having a good streak of results. So the easy solution for Lotina is to single out two players who seem to not be in the squad for next year, and use them as the whipping boys to make the others react. Sad ending to his Depor career.

The story is all the major and minor media, here are a few links:

From the major Galicia paper La Voz de Galicia

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/deportes/2009/05/07/0003_7701015.htm

Depor fan page, in the poll 64% agree with the coach:

http://eldepor.com/polls/387-crees-que-lotina-deberia-contar-con-de-guzman-y-lafita

Archived