De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by mrgreer

Horrible news and not the kind of reputation De Guzman needs!

This won't effect his reputation. Anyone in the business will realize this is the unfoprtunately too typical behaviour of teams to players who are out of contract, available for free transfer and owed money by the club. Why would Deportivo want to help Sevilla or Villareal in assessing JDG? In my opinion it looks worse on Deportivo than on JDG though. Shows they don't have much loyalty to players who have been an important part of their team. The fact they owe players money also points to this. This type of attitude from a team usually comes back to bite it at some point just like it does in players. They have the right to play the players that will be there next year especially if they are doing well but publicly slandering players like this is disgraceful. I doubt any team interested in JDG will pay this much heed though.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I doubt any team interested in JDG will pay this much heed though.

you are correct...the clubs know what JDF is all about and they all know what is going at la Coruna.

They know that la Coruna is essentially broke and not paying their players.

They know that Lotina is being a good company man and slagging the players who will be leaving rather than have the focus shift onto club management (including him).

JDG will be fine. He'll land somewhere good.

Agree ^^^^^. He´s regarded as a good and very strong defensive mid here in Spain. Zaragoza is in a $%&*storm this season and may not even be able to bring Lafita back this summer if they´re not promoted (which I hope to hell they are). I´d think that Villarreal will go for Julian as they desperately need an affordable replacement for old Senna when he´s out injured. The thought of getting him here in Zaragoza makes my mouth water though...

And yes, we´ll be a mid to top team again soon!!!!

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian and his teammate Lafita have been given a reprise, both were called into the squad and are on the bench for Depor today. They are up 0-1 over Recreativo at the half.

It seems the threat was coach Lotina's way of saying "lay off" to their reps. I think Lotina respects Julian, has said so before, but he also knows he has not had as good a year this season as last. The right decision from the coach, and one that will not simply embarrass the players or leave them with a bad taste in their mouths before moving elsewhere next season.

The last answer is... I might say interesting.

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/n-news.php?cid=2179

DE GUZMAN: “I ONLY HAVE THIS SEASON ON MY HEAD”

Q: You received a call-back after a week of absence. Motivated?

A: I'm very happy, I will try to exploit this opportunity.

Q: The coach has hinted there are players who are not training at the top. Are you happy with how you’re working?

A: Yes. I am working as usual.

Q: Have you received a renewal offer?

A: No, not yet.

Q: Was it solved the issue of the money that the club owes to you?

A: I don’t know, it is something managed by my agent.

Q: Does your future holds in Spain or outside?

A: I don’t think of that at this point. I have a contract with Depor until June 30, and I want to fulfill my time here. I’ll know what's going on with my future in the coming weeks. But for now, I only have this season on my head.

Q: Are you assuming your exit?

A: Yes. Well, I don’t think much about that, I think only of the two games remaining [he’s confused, there are four].

Q: You disappeared from the starting eleven after the defeat against Atletico. Did you pay for the damage?

A: It can happen to any player. I play every day as a new day. The most important thing is to help the team to go to Europe.

Q: Do you have any game with Canada in what remains of the season?

A: There is a friendly in Cyprus on May 30.

Q: La liga ends just that week.

A: Well, I don’t think I am going.

Guest Jeffery S.

Depor won today, and are in a UEFA spot in 6th place. Three back of Valencia, who are in the last Champions spot.

Villareal's late point and Atletico Madrid's late win make for a tight race with three games left. Malaga, two points back, are also in the fight.

They play Getafe fighting to avoid relegation, then Sevilla away, trying to ensure the third place.

Last match of the season is Barça at home, and I think they'll play on the Sunday given Barça will be playing midweek in the Champions final. That is the 31st. So definitely, with a UEFA or even Champions spot coming down to the last game, quite likely, he won't be able to go to Cyprus.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Depor won today, and are in a UEFA spot in 6th place. Three back of Valencia, who are in the last Champions spot.

Villareal's late point and Atletico Madrid's late win make for a tight race with three games left. Malaga, two points back, are also in the fight.

They play Getafe fighting to avoid relegation, then Sevilla away, trying to ensure the third place.

Last match of the season is Barça at home, and I think they'll play on the Sunday given Barça will be playing midweek in the Champions final. That is the 31st. So definitely, with a UEFA or even Champions spot coming down to the last game, quite likely, he won't be able to go to Cyprus.

If Julian was going to still be with Depor I'd bet he wouldn't go either but the fact is his bags are packed and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him playing on the 30th for Canada. I know I would in his situation and as he is supposed to showcasing himself for a new club it might be pretty tough to do that from the Depor bench.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Keegan

If Julian was going to still be with Depor I'd bet he wouldn't go either but the fact is his bags are packed and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him playing on the 30th for Canada. I know I would in his situation and as he is supposed to showcasing himself for a new club it might be pretty tough to do that from the Depor bench.

He's under contract, it is NOT a FIFA date meaning if he does not have permission he could be sanctioned and Canada as well, and he has a legal battle with the club over money. What do you think he will do?

How much is he owed and what is the complexity? The only real legal context I have is North America where a professional athlete with a contract getting paid is a relatively simple court case.

^^^^ Whether he gets off the bench or not, JDG doesnt need to showcase himself bc he has done a good job of that over the past couple of years in Spain. One international friendly is meaningless to the clubs interested in signing him on a free.

There is no way Julian will be playing in Cyprus at the end of this month.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

Thought I'd revive this to talk about Julian's future now the season has ended. Let's just summarize the rumours and more than rumours about possible teams for next season.

Truth is there have been no comments in the press these last 10 days, so I suspect he is waiting for the end of June when the contract ends to make an announcement or even decide. The other possibility is that he'll use the Gold Cup to show himself off and let possible bids push up. But he should be on total holiday now, total relax mode, because after the GC he'll be required to go into preseason training with a new club it seems, almost immediately.

Possible clubs

Spain

Two clubs have been mentioned in the press. One is Sevilla, the other Vilareal. The former is in Champions, the latter slipped but at least in UEFA. Both a step up from the current cash-strapped Depor, not only in results but in finances. Vilareal actually plays in a smaller stadium, but their prestige surpasses Depor's these last years. I have not seen real authoritative confirmations of either of these.

Portugal

Benfica was the only rumoured team interested. Suspect this had to do with coach Sánchez Flores looking for a replacement for Katsouranis, and word is that Julian's rep met with sport director Rui Costa in late April. I don't think it is what Julian wants though.

Germany

Moenchengladbach was rumoured interested in him earlier this year, in the winter transfer window. Would not be a step up from where he was when he left, at Hannover. I have read blogs suggesting Bayern Munich could use a player like him, but no word from the club, and I think it is not realistic for him to end up at a club like that. But who knows, maybe they have a good memory of another Canuck in a similar position.

England

Starting in the winter transfer window period especially, a number of names appeared. The strongest was Boro, even suggesting they could pay 2million pounds even though he was 6 months from being a free transfer. Another club mentioned was Bolton, and lately I have seen Fulham listed as a possible interested club. But the strongest and most consistent rumour related to Tottenham, and the level of club is more interesting I think. And its economy more in line with what Julian should be making, especially if we consider that most likely his salary at Depor was not that high, coming young from Hannover when he did. Which makes his not being paid his bonuses even more sad, since he was always quite inexpensive for Depor.

Depor has signed his replacement already, by the way, it's Brazilian Juca, who was picked up from Partizan Belgrade.

Let's keep an eye out for any news on this whatsoever, but I would think he'll either go to a Liga club, at least mid-table or if not with a strong economy and fan base that should be mid table, or look for something similar in England.

Guest Jeffery S.

New articles today and yesterday say that Osasuna were close to announcing the signing of De Guzmán, but that Camacho the coach asked them to wait pending other options. He would prefer a more attacking mid, and the operation depends on Osasuna selling mids.

The article says that Lotina would have preferred to keep him, as he is a good professional and positive in the group dynamic, but that the non payment of commissions to Julian's agent (that is a different version than earlier reports of bonuses not being paid to Julian) made it impossible to keep him.

http://www.blogsasuna.com/2009/06/15/de_guzman_recambio_de_nekounam/

The fact that Osasuna only escaped relegation two weeks ago, and that Camacho himself was questioned, perhaps did not help in the negotiations, if they were recent.

Osasuna is a team that spends more time in top flight than 2nd division, but they are usually on the edge of relegation. A very feisty team, with a great stadium and ambience, a strong club identity. De Guzmán would probably like it in Pamplona, but it is hard to point to many teams in Spain in places that are difficult to like or with a poor quality of life.

If he does sign within 2 weeks he can run with the bulls to celebrate.

The fact the news has come out suggests he has instructed his agent to act quickly, asap, and not drag things out all through the summer. Perhaps he wants to announce this before the Gold Cup.

To add an edit: been going through fan sites and Julian's name appears in quite a few places. In Valencia some think he could replace Abelda, ageing, while in Santander they wonder why they haven't the money to make an offer, and the Sporting Gijon fans put him on their wish list.

NNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo.

Anyone but Osasuna. They're Zaragoza's sworn enemies. We even sing songs about them when we're celebrating post-promotion!!! I'll be getting in fights with my own supporters for waving a Canadian flag for that home game.... There's gotta be a better place to go than there. Certainly the guys wants a club with more hope at top table results than Osasuna...

English version.

Villarreal Ready To Buy Out Javad Nekounam’s Contract With Osasuna - Report

The Yellow Submarine are eager to strengthen their squad with the highly rated Iranian…

16 Jun 2009 03:04:08

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/06/16/1327551/villarreal-ready-to-buy-out-javad-nekounams-contract-with

Villarreal look set to raid Osasuna again as they begin their plans to rebuild a more economically streamlined team ahead of the new campaign.

After recently showing their interest in Czech winger Jaroslav Plasil, ‘El Submarino’ are now keeping a close eye on Iranian international Javad Nekounam.

According to Marca, Villarreal are prepared to sign the 28-year-old midfielder by buying out the €5 million clause in his contract, although it is believed that the club will offer Mati Fernandez in a part-exchange deal to avoid having to pay the fee in full.

The Chilean has attracted interest from Osasuna, who could also turn to Julian De Guzman, set to be released on a free by Deportivo La Coruna, to replace Nekounam.

KS Leong, Goal.com

Guest Jeffery S.

Good catch that translation.

As for Osasuna, earlimus, you have rightly posted about the small racist and hardcore contingent at Zaragoza, which you do not seem to agree with, but you should know that a lot of the Zaragoza animosity towards Osasuna comes from them, originally and historically.

Because the hardcore contingent at your club is very pro-Spain and nationalist, and they target Osasuna for its Basque nationalist leaning. Apart from the fact it is the closest they have to a regional rivalry, apart from the teams in the Canary Islands, when in top flight, Zaragoza is the major club with top flight regional rivals furthest away, methinks.

There's two big support groups in la Romareda. I sit far away from the idiots. Colectivo is the good one which broke away and they're not too bad. They also are at the other end of the stadium. I'm more of a loner myself, but I appreciate the volume from those sections.

Keep us updated on De Guz guys.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Is it safe to say that Julian isn't likely to sign with TFC? [:o)]

On Friday past, TFC offered him $10 million. He turned it down without much discussion, let alone any deliberation or reflection.

To him it's not about the money - it's playing at the highest level he can, while he can.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

On Friday past, TFC offered him $10 million. He turned it down without much discussion, let alone any deliberation or reflection.

[:0]

Not surprised he turned it down, but oh what might have been...

To him it's not about the money - it's playing at the highest level he can, while he can.

10 mil over how many years?

Do you have a link of where you got that info? if so could you post it please?

Archived