Canada - Guatemala , friendly June 30

jonny63

Sumado al encuentro amistoso que la Selección Mayor de Guatemala disputará el 28 de junio en el Qualcomm Stadium de San Diego (California), ante México, Red Deportiva investigó y descubrió que el equipo Nacional disputará otro compromiso de preparación, el cual se llevará a cabo el 30 del mismo mes, en Oxnard, Estados Unidos, a puertas cerradas ante Canadá.

Chapines y canadienses se volverán a enfrentará luego de dos años La última ocasión que estos dos equipos se vieron las caras fue el 16 de junio del año 2007, cuando Canadá venció a Guatemala 3-0, con goles de Ali Yerba (2) y un autogol de Henry Medina.

En compromisos clase “A” FIFA, Guatemala y Canadá se han enfrentando en 12 ocasiones. Canadá ganó en 8 oportunidades, Guatemala ganó 2 veces, dándose además 2 empates.

En el ranking FIFA de selecciones, los canadienses ocupan la posición 89, mientras que Guatemala es 111.

Previo al juego ante los canadienses, Guatemala enfrentará el 28 de junio, en San Diego, a México.

http://www.lared.com.gt/detalle_noticia.php?id=20003

Friendly against Guatemala on June 30 in Oxnard , California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxnard,_California

^ yeah thats what I got from some random translator as well.

If we get this and the Panama friendly, plus the Cyprus friendly, I don't think we can blame the CSA for not giving us pre-gold cup matches. What did we have in 07 before the tourney? Venezuela and Barbados mabye?

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

If we get this and the Panama friendly, plus the Cyprus friendly, I don't think we can blame the CSA for not giving us pre-gold cup matches. What did we have in 07 before the tourney? Venezuela and Barbados mabye?

I seem to recall Stephen Hart saying on It's Called Football that he didn't think the Panama match was going to happen because the Panamanians changed their plans. This would presumably replace that one.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Bermuda and Venezuela actually. And the team was together for the week or so leading up to the tournament, no?

Hey, the boys will be getting used to the Pacific time zone, they'll be running together, and they'll be playing as a unit less than a week before the tournament opens. It would have been nice to have a big sellout friendly at Swangard or something but this'll do.

The logic is that the baseline cost of opening a stadium for patrons (security, ticket staff, concessions, etc.) would be less than the revenue from people who'd flock to attend a Canada-Guatemala friendly at the end of June in Nowhere, California.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by StandUpIfYouHateManchesterUnited

Why is this not at BMO? No Offense but its the NSS and the only place in Canada where we seem to have a canadian majority in the stands......

please note I had to change your name.

The game is being played here because whoever the organizer offered more money to the CSA and Guatamala or just Guatamala then what the CSA could offer to Guatamala to bring them to Canada...its a money thing

quote:Originally posted by prizby

please note I had to change your name.

The game is being played here because whoever the organizer offered more money to the CSA and Guatamala or just Guatamala then what the CSA could offer to Guatamala to bring them to Canada...its a money thing

A money thing that makes me wonder about the extra dollar going to Canada's youth teams and the sponsor Canada doesn't have and the promise of more Canada games with no mention if those games would be played in Canada or in front of anyone. Heaven help.[V]

As much as I would love to watch the MNT on home soil,

consider the closed door match as a strategic move.

Firstly, the GC tournament has Canada travelling A LOT:

Los Angeles, Columbus, and Miami. That's a whole load of air miles.

It would be better as a group, to train and play in a relatively

close geographic area. The next match after the June 30th friendly

would be only 3 days away, on the 3rd of July at Home Depot

Centre, so ANY California friendly is preferable.

Secondly, closed door matches are excellent prep to experiment

on formations away from foreign media and your opposition. Before

the 2000 GC qualifiers, we played a closed friendly with Saudi

Arabia, losing 1-2. But then again, who won the tournament in 2000?

(Okay, we played Jamaica also thereafter in Toronto, just before

the GC qualifiers. And yes after the 3 game qualifiers, we played

2 more matches before the 2000 GC. But I think you know what I mean.)

Thirdly, we need more success to get more corporate sponsors

especially in this economic climate. We should prepare with what

we have and if we can play a match in the U.S., even closed door,

that'll be great.

quote:Originally posted by Fort York Redcoat

I appreciate the sunny side look you give redhat I just can't shift my mindset to consolitory games when the last Canada games were so obviuosly successful. Where's the risk? Where's just a little organization?

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer.

I hear ya, Debbie. But put it this way, if we do well in the GC

the CSA will have more opportunity to set up possibly a fall

tournament like the old Canada Cup series in 1999.

The CSA miserably missed a golden opportunity to host a

"rematch" with the Americans after GC2007. Would BMO or Saputo

have been sell-out events? Probably a better draw than Costa Rica.

quote:Originally posted by StandUpIfYouHateChelsea

Why is this not at BMO? No Offense but its the NSS and the only place in Canada where we seem to have a canadian majority in the stands......

I'm not convinced that more Canadians would show up than mexicans for a meaningless friend in Toronto, or anywhere else for that matter.

Archived