Canadians abroad: January 2-8, 2009

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for January 2-8, 2009.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

FA Cup this weekend:

Simeon Jackson, presumably, will be playing Villa live at 8am EST Sunday on Setanta. Replays at 2PM PST for those us who will be asleep. I'm thinking he'll get the brace in a 3-2 defeat, prompting O'Neill to sign him based on the intuition of a former non-league manager. :D

Dunfield, presumably, will face Everton tomorrow. I believe at 9:30am EST, tomorrow. Replays at 9pm PST.

Can't find a line-up, but hopefully we'll have a weekend hattrick and see Edgar against Hull. Tape delayed, tomorrow at 2pm PST.

quote:Originally posted by highburygooner

lovely goal by simeon!

From the BBC:

"Crackerjack of a strike. Gary Mulligan flicks a header on for Simeon Jackson, who makes a mug of Zat Knight, racing past the defender before smashing an unstoppable right-foot shot past Brad Friedel. Brilliant".

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

From the BBC:

"Crackerjack of a strike. Gary Mulligan flicks a header on for Simeon Jackson, who makes a mug of Zat Knight, racing past the defender before smashing an unstoppable right-foot shot past Brad Friedel. Brilliant".

Congrats to Simeon, if O'Neill picks him up he could be playing Champions League football :P

thank god people are finally giving this guy a shot. for whatever reason, there have been too many people trying to hold this guy back. he has shown consistently at the conference and league 2 that he is better than where he is playing. and if he can score a goal in fa cup action against a top 5 epl team, he should be playing in the epl. teams needing some striking help could pick this guy up cheap. hull, spurs, fulham...

Guest Jeffery S.

Very hot goal. Shows the advantage of a low centre of gravity against a defender used to pushing up against a bigger body. But even then the finish was excellent, impressive.

quote:Originally posted by hodgkiss

thank god people are finally giving this guy a shot. for whatever reason, there have been too many people trying to hold this guy back. he has shown consistently at the conference and league 2 that he is better than where he is playing. and if he can score a goal in fa cup action against a top 5 epl team, he should be playing in the epl. teams needing some striking help could pick this guy up cheap. hull, spurs, fulham...

Havant and Waterlooville players should be playing in the EPL then? I mean they had two guys score goals vs. Liverpool.

He didn't score consistently in League 1. Baby steps, we aren't even sure if he can play CCC at this point.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

[Havant and Waterlooville players should be playing in the EPL then? I mean they had two guys score goals vs. Liverpool.

He didn't score consistently in League 1. Baby steps, we aren't even sure if he can play CCC at this point.

I tend to support your view as well. However, I am happy to see him score a quality goal and hopefully have continued success as he rises up the ranks. Keep it going, Simeon!

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar came on m. 59 for Gondomar who lost to Ave at home 0-1.

Before Xmas he was subbed on for the last half hour and it worked better, as they pulled off a 1-2 away win over Boavista, who they rival with for the bottom of Portuguese 2nd division.

quote:Originally posted by hodgkiss

I think it is far better for him to continue playing ALOT of football in the lower leagues rather than toil on the bench for a CCC or EPL team and only getting mid week reserve action.

One game and one brillian goal does not a career make (just ask David Edgar).

I'd like to see him move up one level each year and then, in 2 years, let's see what type of week in-week out player this guy is

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by tarnado

Julian De Guzman starting on the bench today as Deportivo La Coruna visits Getafe. 1-1 score late first half.

He is still not on. Not watching, but all reports suggest Depor was denied a clear penalty on their goalscorer Bodipo in the 1st half.

Edit: Ends with a 1-2 win as they get a more dubious penalty. Julian does not get on this time. Hopefully he'll see the pitch for the cup match vs. Sevilla this Wednesday.

Archived