Canadians abroad: January 2-8, 2009

DJT

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/n-news.php?cid=1827

LOTINA’S FIRST 2009 INTERVIEW

Q: At the individual level, there are also players who can yield more, as Mista and Omar Bravo, isn’t it?

A: They have only scored a few goals, and De Guzman also has a very weak first round compared to the last year and he’s likely to improve.

--quote--

I think he will play the next Copa game against Sevilla.

Depor are in 6 place 3pts behind the 2dn Valencia. But in January they will have to play 3 times against Seville, one agaisnt Barça, Real M, Villareal... it will be a difficult month for them but if they can manage it, I think they have chance to finish in top 5. They just miss a good striker.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

From the BBC:

"Crackerjack of a strike. Gary Mulligan flicks a header on for Simeon Jackson, who makes a mug of Zat Knight, racing past the defender before smashing an unstoppable right-foot shot past Brad Friedel. Brilliant".

I saw the goal on The Score this afternoon (although I don't think I heard James Sharman mention Jackson's nationality, though I could be mistaken). Always great to see a Canadian scoring an American keeper!

I just watched the Villa match and thought Jackson was excellent throughout. The commentators were very complimentary as well. They alluded to his bargain purchase price of 150k. And although I was impressed how well he held up the ball for such a little guy, I couldn't help but think how good he would look beside Rob Friend. He definitely has top flight speed, and you can't argue with the finish. Where was it against Austria? :)

AEK draw another match. That is 10 already this season!

They were very luck to draw PAO, who presently sit third in the Greek Super League. By all accounts they were outplayed.

From what I read Tam did not play so well, and was subbed out in the 75th min.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I just watched the Villa match and thought Jackson was excellent throughout. The commentators were very complimentary as well. They alluded to his bargain purchase price of 150k. And although I was impressed how well he held up the ball for such a little guy, I couldn't help but think how good he would look beside Rob Friend. He definitely has top flight speed, and you can't argue with the finish. Where was it against Austria? :)

He certainly has an opportunity down the road, especially if we continue to play with two strikers rather than the the single target man. I have always felt that our striker depth needed some more pure speed options.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

He certainly has an opportunity down the road, especially if we continue to play with two strikers rather than the the single target man. I have always felt that our striker depth needed some more pure speed options.

Best Cup match of the weekend. Villa has to feel a bit lucky to not have to suffer a replay.

I think part of the difference for Jackson against Villa & the Austria test was Gillingham are organized and clearly very well coached. Stupid quick to. Front to back that team has speed sprinkled with the mercurial. Yikes.

Hard to believe that side is built for League 2. Those guys aren't just athletic, they like to football a bit.

Very good display by Jackson. Very good display. Great goal to. Rolled Knight then showed Villa his heels before scorching one past Friedel. Outstanding.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian played 90 as Depor got a late goal to make it 2-1 away to Sevilla, return leg in Coruña next week. Julian went forward and got free for a pass into the box that he first timed across the front for Omar Bravo to push in, good assist.

In spite of the last play I thought he was rather poor, I was disappointed. It seemed he was coasting, though mind you all of Depor was and almost everyone on the pitch except for Navas the Sevilla wing seemed to be moving in slow motion most of the match, low intensity and overly cautious. Julian took a card 1st half for a foul at the front of the box they scored on (Navas), the keeper seemed to have placed the wall wrong and he missed a shot that he should have had. Julian even could have had a 2nd yellow later in the match, was a bit rash at times.

But overall he was a bit slow, not playing with a lot of drive, taking it a bit too easy, though with the ball his passing was sharp, something he is doing better and better. And his decision to move up front and help with the attack to get the important away goal was the correct one and paid off.

Archived