January Transfer Window Rumours

El Hombre

^ I doubt he regrets the Spurs move....one peek at his bank statements will remind him why it was a wise move from a personal/family standpoint.

A friend of mine grew up with Diesel and keeps in touch with him on occasion...he mentioned once that Paul continues to work hard to try to win a place in the team and is obviously frustrated by his rapid fall off the Spurs depth charts.

I really wonder if there are familial considerations that keep Paul in London, despite the fact his career is regressing as a result. Maybe the Mrs. is not interested in a move back to germany...London is certainly appealing, despite the ridiculously high cost of living.

It was not that many years ago that Paul was one of the 2 or 3 brightest lights of Canadian football, especially after he played an integral part of Bremen's Bundesliga title victory. Its sad that his career has suffered so badly the past few years. I fondly remember watching him as a teenager with the Lynx, playing alongside DeRo...in my opinion, Paul was the better all around player at that time and I think he would still be the better overall player had he not been so innactive for the past 2-3 years.

I've got my fingers firmly crossed that he makes a move soon to kick start his playing career

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ I doubt he regrets the Spurs move....one peek at his bank statements will remind him why it was a wise move from a personal/family standpoint.

A friend of mine grew up with Diesel and keeps in touch with him on occasion...he mentioned once that Paul continues to work hard to try to win a place in the team and is obviously frustrated by his rapid fall off the Spurs depth charts.

I really wonder if there are familial considerations that keep Paul in London, despite the fact his career is regressing as a result. Maybe the Mrs. is not interested in a move back to germany...London is certainly appealing, despite the ridiculously high cost of living.

Well, you've touched on a number of mitigating factors, especially the family ones which never can be counted lightly. I'm not familiar with contract matters in general, but I wonder if the ball is in his court in regards to ending his deal/agreeing to a buyout, what have you. I mean, there are 4 other younger Spurs players (as discussed in Ed's Germany thread) stuck in similar sitations, drawing pay yet caught in limbo. I'd be curious to learn more about why the club's willing to pay them to sit rather than explore other alternatives.

Very juicy rhumour on the Stalteri front. I hear you VP, we tend to forget the real-life challenges associated with being a Canadian abroad. Paul's financial success at Tottenham has been a blessing for him I'm sure and we shouldn't discount the importance of that for him. And obvioulsy London, being an English-speaking cultural centre, is about as good as it gets for our boys in Europe.

That being said I have heard from Paul's family that he thoroughly enjoyed his role in keeping Fulhmam afloat in the Premiership last year, and I don't think he is the kind of player to discount his on-pitch success.

I would LOVE to see him back in Germany. Better fit for him.

On the Simeon Jackson front. He potted another one for the Gills today , giving him 11 goals in 16 full appearances. Had he not been out due to injury for 5-6 games he would very possibly be top scorer in League Two. He is currently tied for third in the scoring race.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

In 2006, I would of seen this as a lateral move for Hutch. Not anymore.

I think his chances of CL football and exposure to bigger leagues would increase with Celtic.

Squad depth, quality squad depth is a problem and I think Hutch is exactly the sort of player that Strackan likes. In virtually every quality but especially his versatility. He can be played in a multitude of positions and do it well enough to justify utilizing him in whatever fashion.

Falkirk nearly just scored by the way.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

In 2006, I would of seen this as a lateral move for Hutch. Not anymore.

I think his chances of CL football and exposure to bigger leagues would increase with Celtic.

Squad depth, quality squad depth is a problem and I think Hutch is exactly the sort of player that Strackan likes. In virtually every quality but especially his versatility. He can be played in a multitude of positions and do it well enough to justify utilizing him in whatever fashion.

Falkirk nearly just scored by the way.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

from BBC's rumours page:

Celtic are monitoring the progress of FC Copenhagen striker Atiba Hutchinson. (Sunday Express)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7794274.stm

Interesting that they reckon he's a striker.

in the FCK setup, Atiba often sets up as a secondary striker. He plays in alot of different spots on the pitch for FCK...makes me him a very attractive player because he brings diversity.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

in the FCK setup, Atiba often sets up as a secondary striker. He plays in alot of different spots on the pitch for FCK...makes me him a very attractive player because he brings diversity.

I personally think that's his best position with our MNT, not playing in a deeper lying spot on the field getting the ball from the back four.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

The Score is so good to Canadians that they replayed the Man U v. Ispwich match from the mid-90s where United got 7 past Craig Forrest, with Yallop "playing" at right back. I'm not sure how many of those guys could play in the Premier League today (I guessing Giggs, Cole, and Ince, as Steve Bruce looked almost as fat as he does today -though to be fair he was about 53 years old) but Yallop defintely isn't one of them. Man, he was awful.

ipswich was the 9-1, wasn't it? Forrest was also in goal for the 7-1 tonking his West Ham suffered at Old Trafford years later

It was 9-0 and Andy Cole scored 5 on Forrest. To be honest, none was Forrest's fault. I've seen that on the score 3/4 times and I love it when Forrest jumps on the crossbar like a monkey. THen a couple goals later was when he did a hand ball out of his box and tried running up the field by himself.

I was going through some of my old copies of FourFourTwo, and in the 2008-09 season preview issue, Simeon Jackson was listed as the 'One to Watch'. Here is the brief write up:

'They say that pace will always cause havoc at this levle and the Canadian striker has it in abundance. He scored 42 goals in 69 starts for Rushden & Diamonds.'

In the "Fan's View" section, he was also selected as the teams most important player.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I was going through some of my old copies of FourFourTwo, and in the 2008-09 season preview issue, Simeon Jackson was listed as the 'One to Watch'. Here is the brief write up:

'They say that pace will always cause havoc at this levle and the Canadian striker has it in abundance. He scored 42 goals in 69 starts for Rushden & Diamonds.'

In the "Fan's View" section, he was also selected as the teams most important player.

At the time of the issue I was going to mention that as a thread topic, with my theme being that I hoped it wouldn't lead to a sort of Sports Illustrated cover curse: the year before Jaime Peters was listed as the "One to Watch" for Ipswich Town and we can see how his career has skyrocketed, playing RB for the reserves.

Archived