Gage was passed over for U20 team

deschamp86

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature12030804.aspx

"Thomas and I talked about it and made a decision on me staying," said Gage, who was passed over by Tony Fonseca for the most recent under-20 national team camp, but could yet be in the mix as the team moves toward next fall's FIFA U-20 World Cup. "If I went over to Europe right now I'd be struggling in some areas -- long balls and shooting. I need to work on my quickness, too, and I'm excited to be playing with the [Whitecaps] men."

Guest speedmonk42

Was he passed over or went on the Japan trip instead.

I don't know much about our current U20 team.... but how the fck do you get on it if he can't get called to a camp?

It says he was passed over by T.F. It wasn't a case of "either .. or .." as a number of other Residency players were at the U20 camp AND are going to Japan this week.

Just wondering how many of you guys ever watched "in house" matches between Whitecaps -- Residency?

No media coverage. About a half dozen matches spanning Oct./07 -- April/08. Full side vs Full side.

No mixing teams to make the games "fairer". The first few games the residency quite dominated

(the men were in off season, not in very good shape). By April of 08, just before their second German tour

they were still able to come off with a good win against the "Big Boys". The Residency(U18) then went on to loose out

in the semi-finals North American U23 PDL league (their final four matches played minus 5 key players on trial in Germany gone July 16/08)

All the kids on that residency team had hugh potential. Ethan Gage was not the only one that was exceptional.

Anyway he'll be at the next Florida Camp in a couple of weeks.

Seriously, nothing to worry about. I remember when Stillo wasn't slected for the U-20 game against Argentina some here suggested he wasn't getting a fair chance and look what happened, he was call for last week game in Switzerland. So let's not jump the gun here and wait until the next camp to see if he gets the call.

quote:Originally posted by villus

Im going to hold off until the real competitions start but if this kid is what some people on this board tout him to be than leaving him off could be a big mistake.

I don't think people on this board are touting him to be anything BIG. All we are saying, is that he played well and consistantly down the stretch for a mens team. That is a lot more than we can say for most of our youth players.

I will also warn...Gage is not the most talented player. He is just a solid midfielder, period. He even admitted in an article that a lot of the other residency players are more talented than him. Edwini-Bonsu, Mashinchi and Orgill are 3 other residency kids that got a shot with the first team before Gage did. They didn't seize their opportunity though, that is the difference.

Caps had injury problems at CB, Jeff Clarke moved to the back line. There was a hole beside Nash at CM. Gage came in, did the job, and never looked back.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I don't think people on this board are touting him to be anything BIG. All we are saying, is that he played well and consistantly down the stretch for a mens team. That is a lot more than we can say for most of our youth players.

I will also warn...Gage is not the most talented player. He is just a solid midfielder, period. He even admitted in an article that a lot of the other residency players are more talented than him. Edwini-Bonsu, Mashinchi and Orgill are 3 other residency kids that got a shot with the first team before Gage did. They didn't seize their opportunity though, that is the difference.

Caps had injury problems at CB, Jeff Clarke moved to the back line. There was a hole beside Nash at CM. Gage came in, did the job, and never looked back.

The truth is I never had the chance to watch him play but the fact that he is only 17 years old and played for the first team makes og him an interesting prospect and I'm sure he will end up playing in some European first division. How many players in the world had the chance to start their career at 17? Few ones.

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

The truth is I never had the chance to watch him play but the fact that he is only 17 years old and played for the first team makes og him an interesting prospect and I'm sure he will end up playing in some European first division.

I understand that. I am just trying to bring people's expectations in line with reality. Don't count on Gage becoming the next De Guzman.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Gage was later quoted as saying not being selected to the U-20 NT was Jamaican him crazy. **runs and hides**

Seriously though, I guess this is some tangible sign of progres in our player pool. What were the chances someone like this got left our 4 years ago?

Well, 5 yrs ago Daniel Fernandes was left out of the U-20 WYC in UAE...:(

quote:Originally posted by villus

Im going to hold off until the real competitions start but if this kid is what some people on this board tout him to be than leaving him off could be a big mistake.

But how many of us have seen him play? The only thing I saw written about him, from those who did see him play and post here, was that " He didn't look out of place" when playing very briefly with the senior Whitecap team. Sorry... But i need to hear a more glowing appraisal than that before I lose any sleep over the fact that he was left off the U20 team. There was far better adjectives used to describe Wyn Belotte in what what we were able to see of his play and where is he now.

So here we are, we have a whole thread on player that 95-98% of us have not seen and the best that can be said by those who have seen him for one game is that: " He didn't look out of place". God help us if we ever develop a Lionel Messi in canada :D. Again, another example, as we have seen many times, of unfair and unwarranted expectations placed on players.

I will also warn...Gage is not the most talented player. He is just a solid midfielder, period. He even admitted in an article that a lot of the other residency players are more talented than him.

Played for a mens team in the playoffs against the best teams in the league and didn't look out of place at all! ;) The next BIG thing? We'll see but right now probably falls into the "most excellent prospect" group.

Gage has said he wasn't the most talented. If that is the case then the Caps are going to be a scary bunch next year. He is a good player who learns quickly and practices hard. What he may lack in raw talent he makes up for and then some with his smarts and work ethic.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

we have a whole thread on a player that 95-98% of us have not seen

If you haven't seen him play, that is your fault. I can tell you that the Montreal and Vancouver supporters have seen him play so there is no way your 95-98% figure is correct. Also, if you really wanted to see this Canadian prospect, all you had to do was watch the USL Playoffs. I find it very discouraging that somebody who calls themself a Canadian soccer supporter did not watch either the Montreal-Vancouver semifinal series or the USL Final.

If you haven't seen him play, that is your fault. I can tell you that the Montreal and Vancouver supporters have seen him play so there is no way your 95-98% figure is correct. Also, if you really wanted to see this Canadian prospect, all you had to do was watch the USL Playoffs. I find it very discouraging that somebody who calls themself a Canadian soccer supporter did not watch either the Montreal-Vancouver semifinal series or the USL Final.

It's not our fault if we don't have channels who broadcast Vancouver games. TFC has fair enough coverage with Sportsnet, the Score and CBC, but I suppose that not everyone has all these channels.

Montreal and Vancouver have less coverage here. For Montreal Impact we have Radio-Canada and CBC Bold for CCL games, but unfortunately we have nothing for Vancouver here in the east part of Canada...

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

It's not our fault if we don't have channels who broadcast Vancouver games. TFC has fair enough coverage with Sportsnet, the Score and CBC, but I suppose that not everyone has all these channels.

Montreal and Vancouver have less coverage here. For Montreal Impact we have Radio-Canada and CBC Bold for CCL games, but unfortunately we have nothing for Vancouver here in the east part of Canada...

What i was trying to say is that there were opportunities to watch Ethan Gage if Free kick really wanted to. Montreal-Vancouver 1st leg was streamed live on the Radio-Canada website. The second leg was available on USL Live. The final was available on FSC, FSWC and many online streams were available. In addition there were a few regular season games as well. All of these avenues are available across the country despite your location.

If we, the hardcore fans, do not subscribe or follow these things, we have no right to complain when our sport isn't covered to our liking in the mainstream media.

What i was trying to say is that there were opportunities to watch Ethan Gage if Free kick really wanted to. Montreal-Vancouver 1st leg was streamed live on the Radio-Canada website. The second leg was available on USL Live. The final was available on FSC, FSWC and many online streams were available. In addition there were a few regular season games as well. All of these avenues are available across the country despite your location.

If we, the hardcore fans, do not subscribe or follow these things, we have no right to complain when our sport isn't covered to our liking in the mainstream media.

Well it actually isn't my fault. For some technical reason I cannot watch streamed telecasts on the CBC or Radio Canada websites. I wanted to watch those games that you alluded to but couldn't. For some reason streaming on those websites doesn't work when using Mozilla Firefox as a default browser. I have been investigating the problem for a while but have not be able to resolve it.

Mozilla Firefox is not the only browser out there. If you're running Windows by default you have Internet Explorer and CBC streaming video works just fine with IE. If you have a Mac then use Apple's own browser. Guess it depends just how badly you really want to watch because there's nearly always a way.

Archived