Did a Voyageur Get Radzinski's Shirt?

Whither Canada

quote:Originally posted by River City

In Lars' defense, he had a few drinks tops, but nothing serious. I ended up closing the pub down with Tuscan, mccout and another V (my apologies for not remembering even after you telling me your handle 10 times throughout the night) and Lars had left the pub long before. He went out of his way to go up the stairs to personally thank us.

I don't think it's a good idea to name names if seeing a player in a social setting because a lot of people do read the forum, but LArs definitely needs to be named for giving the fans a little recognition. It rarely happens, and when it does, it's appreciated. Especially since the V's travel from coast to coast and across the world to cheer on the team.

For any MNTers lurking though, all of us will still call Lars and ANY OTHER player out if they play bad, but it's not out of malice or mal intent.....we're soccer fans and we discuss soccer. You know if you've had a good or bad game. So do we. This is the place for us to discuss it. As dumb as some of the posts get, the majority of us don't slag you because we don't like you. It's not a personal thing.

Guys, can't you make the difference between going to a bar the night of a crucial loss and 3 days prior to a must-get a result WC qualifier and going into a bar saluting the fans the night of meaningless game that we happened to tie?

To me, it's apple and orange.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Lars' defense, he had a few drinks tops, but nothing serious. I ended up closing the pub down with Tuscan, mccout and another V (my apologies for not remembering even after you telling me your handle 10 times throughout the night) and Lars had left the pub long before. He went out of his way to go up the stairs to personally thank us.

I don't think it's a good idea to name names if seeing a player in a social setting because a lot of people do read the forum, but LArs definitely needs to be named for giving the fans a little recognition. It rarely happens, and when it does, it's appreciated. Especially since the V's travel from coast to coast and across the world to cheer on the team.

For any MNTers lurking though, all of us will still call Lars and ANY OTHER player out if they play bad, but it's not out of malice or mal intent.....we're soccer fans and we discuss soccer. You know if you've had a good or bad game. So do we. This is the place for us to discuss it. As dumb as some of the posts get, the majority of us don't slag you because we don't like you. It's not a personal thing.

Guys, can't you make the difference between going to a bar the night of a crucial loss and 3 days prior to a must-get a result WC qualifier and going into a bar saluting the fans the night of meaningless game that we happened to tie?

To me, it's apple and orange.

When I have a bad day at work, I go out and have a drink. Mind you I do the same when I have a good day at work.

Point is, these are athletes and them going drinking AFTER a game does not hinder their performance. In fact I say it helps them alleviate stress. Stresses a lot of us would have a hard time dealing with. If they were going out BEFORE a game, I'd have an issue with it. But what they do in their personal time is their OWN business.

When I have a bad day at work, I go out and have a drink. Mind you I do the same when I have a good day at work.

Point is, these are athletes and them going drinking AFTER a game does not hinder their performance. In fact I say it helps them alleviate stress. Stresses a lot of us would have a hard time dealing with. If they were going out BEFORE a game, I'd have an issue with it. But what they do in their personal time is their OWN business.

There's a huge difference between drinking a few beer into the hotel bar and going into one of MTL finest nightclub to party when you are going to Mexico the next morning...

But you are right, this is their private life, just lik it would be their private life if they dediced to get wasted the night before a game....it's just the Germans, Italians or French players would never do that because they respect their fans and are true professionnal...

Anyways, good for the boys to show up last night, Lars sounds like a class act!

I’ve got to say -there were a few class acts. Lars spent a lot of money on us V's last night and I’ve got the hurt on to show for it. Anyway, the game was just as much fun (if not more) than the TO game and I would like to thank everyone involved for organizing - especially River City - you did a bang up job. I (and others with me) are going to make a full effort to travel to as many games as possible in the future, because quite honestly, there is no greater bang for your entertainment buck than to hang out with such a impassioned and emphatic group of fans. Truly the V's are a growing phenomenon and you need to be there to enjoy it. I think we should start organizing group trips to the away games - if we can get 20 - 40 people it would be worth it.

Craig Forrest was also a class act, signing autographs and “shooting the $hit” with the little people. Amazingly those guys are humble and don’t have the egos of other pro athletes. I guess that’s part of what makes us so nuts over this game…

Geez, I am sorry I had to miss the pub action. Would have loved to give Craig Forrest thanks for his outstanding career. As it was, dashed out of the stadium after the players retreated from the V's section in order to get 300 km south on Highway 2 asap.

We chatted with CF and Dobson, and of course Lars. Like I say - they were humble and talked about the sport genuinely. I thanked CF for his service to Canada and told him how much the fans appreciated his work. (I think) we talked about the Brazil game in Edm in 93 as I feel that was one of his finest performances. That was after about 3 Jaeger's so everything is a little hazy....

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Geez, I am sorry I had to miss the pub action. Would have loved to give Craig Forrest thanks for his outstanding career. As it was, dashed out of the stadium after the players retreated from the V's section in order to get 300 km south on Highway 2 asap.

I had that privilege during the last U-20 World Cup when I saw him in the CBC building (in Toronto) working a broadcast. We had a nice five-minute chat, me and Craig. After I finished fawning over him like a schoolgirl, it was mostly lamenting the state of the CSA and the prospects of Canada qualifying. The man's a class act.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

Brad, you are making me seriously jealous for not going out to Edmonton now. Damn, home renovations! At least I can take the money I saved by not going to South Africa for the next WC qualifying stint.

Jambo it sucked - no fun at all.....:D

(No little kids pointing finger guns at us = no fun)

You have Carl Valentine to thank for that.

Thank you Carl Valentine!

So sorry I couldn't stay at the bar. I think the lack of sleep caught up to me and was just not feeling well. That's awesome that Lars, Craig, and Paul showed up.

Very classy all around.

No worries Geoff. Sergio (River City) told me the plan about getting you the shirt the night before at VGD, and luckily the shirt went one row behind me. The guy was gracious enough to hand it over to Sergio, and he was actually upstairs at Sherlock's after wards.

It was nice to put some faces to the names on this board over the last 2 days, and I cannot wait to do this again.

damn i got really sick the day of the game me and my bro left saskatoon at 7am and by the time it was about 130 i felt like ****. id anyone was at the V's gathering before the game i was the one laying on the couch. I really wanted to talk with a lot fo you and have a lot of fun at the game but i was really in no condition too. I wished it was from drinking so that it would have been my own fault haha. anyway my bo talkd me into going to the game so i did. I felt better when i got there but i couldnt handle standing up so i should have left went up so i could watch and sit down. anyway my point is that even being sick and curled up intp a ball i could tell that sitting with the V's is really the only way to go to Canada games so it will not be my last one. Damn it sounded like a realy good game tho. I was fortunate to be standing when Rad scored and his great pose with the flag haha. him coming over the V's section jumping the fench and throwing his jersey into the crowd was awsome, he went out with a lot of class.

Lars Hirschfeld was a class act. Not only did he buy everyone a round, but he came and hung out with us for a bit even though he had a group of friends downstairs.

I was lucky to have him throw me his shirt at the game, after I threw him one of our scarfs. He even signed it at the bar. I'm going to have to get it framed and put it up in the office

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Craig Forrest was very gracious in Montreal when I asked him for a photo with him. He was geniunely happy to do so and thanked us for coming a long way to support Canada. It's great to hear these stories from everyone after a disappointing last couple of months.

I met Craig in Kingston in 2004. He's a nice guy- as you said genuine supporter.

Great fun last night at the pub after the match. I didn't realize that Stalteri was there as well!

Had a nice little chat with Forrest, and his eyes lit up when I told him that a handful of us were from Vancouver. Classy guy.

Nice to meet many of you as well. Funny to put faces to names after shooting the sh!t for several years on here.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Can't wait for Grizzly to wade in and call Lars out for drinking in public after not making the hex! Gotta love Lars. Has always been a good guy in my books which made the nuances coming out last year about him pricking about with our nats hard to believe.

Really, Ed. This has to go down as one of the stupidest posts you have ever made. Fortunately Loyola has pretty much answered it for me already but in summary.

Bad loss in which you and your teammates perform poorly in a crucial WCQ game + another WCQ that is even more important a few days later + drinking with your friends in a nightclub while your supporters are devasted = VERY BAD and UNPROFESSIONAL

Tie game against a very strong opponent in which you and your teammates play very well + no other game coming up + going out and drinking with your supporters = AWESOME and CLASSY

I am sorry I missed it.

It is funny in light of this that there have always been rumours (though completely unsubstantiated) that Lars did not get along with his teammates. From this it seems like he is a great guy so maybe there is no truth to these rumours.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

I think we should start organizing group trips to the away games - if we can get 20 - 40 people it would be worth it.

I've been thinking this myself the last few days. I and probably the others who I had talked with about going won't be going to Jamaica as originally planned since we are out (money saved). We don't have any reason to go to South Africa (a lot of money saved). We have 4 years to save money. Some of us Voyageurs should start planning/saving for the next WCQ so that we can try to send a decent group to all of the away games.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I've been thinking this myself the last few days. I and probably the others who I had talked with about going won't be going to Jamaica as originally planned since we are out (money saved). We don't have any reason to go to South Africa (a lot of money saved). We have 4 years to save money. Some of us Voyageurs should start planning/saving for the next WCQ so that we can try to send a decent group to all of the away games.

Thank you -that's my point. Its way too much fun and I think a game in Mexico and/or Jamaica would be incredible if we had a solid bunch. I (don't think) we'd be killed and imagine the players respect if we did that. I think in some sense, that may be more important than getting out to the local games. Hell they do it to us.....

The fellow who caught Radzinski's shirt was my buddy Tom. He was somewhat suspicious of the approach but gave it up. After he caught it someone came up and offered him $20.00 for it and seemed extremely put out when Tom wouldn't part with it. As an aside, anytime that sort of agreement is in place it should be communicated. As I knew Geoff Wallace and the efforts River City as well as his presence on the Voyageurs board, I was certain it wasn't a scam and was able to assure Tom of that...not so sure he would have had he not had the advice of someone confident in the voyageurs involved.

Archived