Mitchell's "A" game Strategy Sans De Guzman

superbrad

Wow. Don't push anyone forward and get caught by a goal. Looks like DM is pushing the coaching stategy envelope.....

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=f61d5aec-e83d-46c0-8a89-8f46e63076ba

Canadians to be without de Guzman for key showdown

Peter James, Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Canada's World Cup soccer hopes suffered a serious blow Wednesday as men's head coach Dale Mitchell announced midfielder Julian de Guzman will be unavailable for Saturday's qualifier in Honduras.

De Guzman is sidelined with a thigh injury and his club team, Deportivo de La Coruna in Spain, didn't make the 27-year-old available after missing the team's past two matches. In addition to de Guzman, Canada is missing midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and defender Adrian Serioux due to suspension.

Rather than focus on the players he will be without, Mitchell turned his attention to the 18 players who will be travelling to Pedro Sula.

There's no question we'll miss Julian," Mitchell said Wednesday from the team's training camp in Florida. "The guys are training very hard down here. It's been extremely hot, but each day they've worked really hard."

Nikolas Ledgerwood will replace de Guzman on the roster, but Mitchell wasn't willing to disclose his starting 11.

Canada heads into Saturday's match with only one point through its first three CONCACAF Group 2 qualifying matches and is tied for last with Jamaica. Honduras has six points, and beat Canada 2-1 in Montreal on Sept. 6. Mexico leads the group with a perfect record and nine points.

The top two teams from the group move on to the next stage, so Canada must win in order to make up ground on Honduras. However, Mitchell said the team can't afford to take reckless chances early in the contest.

"I think the danger is that you go forward and push too many people forward looking for goals early in the match and leave yourself open," he said.

The Canadians had a hot start in the game in Montreal, scoring five minutes in and holding that lead through halftime minutes before Honduras scored a pair of second half goals.

"I think we've shown it's a team we can compete with and play well against," Mitchell said.

One bright spot is the return of midfielder Tomasz Radzinski from injury. He hurt his hand after falling awkwardly into the advertising boards during the loss to Honduras and missed Canada's 2-1 loss in Mexico on Sept. 10.

The Canadians return home after Sunday's match and will only have a handful of days to prepare for a game against Mexico in Edmonton on Oct. 15. Both De Rosario and Serioux are eligible to return for that contest.

Canada concludes Group 2 play in Jamaica on Nov. 19.

I actually agree with him on this one. Honduras is a counter attacking team, they love to absorb pressure and then spring forward quickly into attack. Combine open space with fast players who possess solid passing and finishing skills and i think it's alot to ask of our shabby backline. Anyone remember the 4-0 loss in T&T back in 2000 when we were in the exact same situation? (ie. needing to win to stay alive on GD4 on the road) We started with a 4-3-3 and got torn a new asshole.

A 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield is about the most offensive we should get. Maybe even go with a flat 4 in the mid or go flat 3 + #10 with Radz as the link man.

^As long as he springs at least two forwards up front. If not and I see the long balls to a lone attacker I'm going to lose my mind because that is the football we've seen forever in this country. We should have enough skilled passers to go it with the 4-4-2. What I don't want to see is that we leave everyone back and pray for a lucky break.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Anyone remember the 4-0 loss in T&T back in 2000 when we were in the exact same situation? (ie. needing to win to stay alive on GD4 on the road) We started with a 4-3-3 and got torn a new asshole.

Unfortunately you're right. The match was played on cricket grounds,

the ref was cr*p, and Mark Watson got a red card. The formation

did not suit the players on hand and we got walloped. The star for

T&T: Dwight Yorke.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

^As long as he springs at least two forwards up front. If not and I see the long balls to a lone attacker I'm going to lose my mind because that is the football we've seen forever in this country. We should have enough skilled passers to go it with the 4-4-2. What I don't want to see is that we leave everyone back and pray for a lucky break.

I think for this game atleast he realizes that choosing between our 5th mid and the 2nd forward, the forward has more talent so we're likely to see both Friend and Gerba up front. I expect to see alot of crosses from the flanks to them. We'll probably clog up the middle, cautiously pass it around a few times and work it close enough to cross it into the box. Probably see alot of longballs, which i'm not enamoured with, but if both are upfront then the chances are better of coming down with those balls. We need to treat every set piece like it's the last play of the game, we need to score on ours and keep them from scoring on theirs. This game will not be pretty.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I think for this game atleast he realizes that choosing between our 5th mid and the 2nd forward, the forward has more talent so we're likely to see both Friend and Gerba up front. I expect to see alot of crosses from the flanks to them. We'll probably clog up the middle, cautiously pass it around a few times and work it close enough to cross it into the box. Probably see alot of longballs, which i'm not enamoured with, but if both are upfront then the chances are better of coming down with those balls. We need to treat every set piece like it's the last play of the game, we need to score on ours and keep them from scoring on theirs. This game will not be pretty.

Agree. People here love to talk about sexy soccer and keeping the ball on the ground but Saturday won't be the time for it. Play a 4-4-2, if Honduras allows us some space in the midfield we might try to build from the wings with Radz to get some service to Ali and Rob. If there's no space, kick the ball to the forwards and try to build from there.

^Honduras are a tricky side because they are not like a classic Euro countering side who will always play quick tempo. They switch it up a lot. Quick, slow, quick, slow. I would argue at home they will be the one's trying to play the sexy soccer, as you say. If they want to slow the tempo, we should speed it up and counter ourselves. As you say, by playing down the flanks. I would only add that rather than lauching poor crosses, we should be allowing the ball out into touch or taking a few falls in the attacking third. Sometime around Yallop we really started neglecting the the set-piece, the one thing that seemed to generate goals for Canada over the years.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^Honduras are a tricky side because they are not like a classic Euro countering side who will always play quick tempo. They switch it up a lot. Quick, slow, quick, slow. I would argue at home they will be the one's trying to play the sexy soccer, as you say. If they want to slow the tempo, we should speed it up and counter ourselves. As you say, by playing down the flanks. I would only add that rather than lauching poor crosses, we should be allowing the ball out into touch or taking a few falls in the attacking third. Sometime around Yallop we really started neglecting the the set-piece, the one thing that seemed to generate goals for Canada over the years.

2 of our 3 goals came from set pieces so far. But i agree that we need to use more of the set pieces, specially the one in the middle third of the field. Stop playing it short and try to breakdown 10 mens after that,instead boot it in the box to Friend and make the Honduras keeper works (he looked bad on that first goal off a CK against MTL last week in the CCL).

If we did go with a 4-4-2, would we be looking at something like this? I'm not sure what we would do with Hume, Bernier and Gerba.

...................Hirschfeld

Stalteri - McKenna - Hastings - Kuklowski

Hume - Bernier - Hutchinson - Radzinski

...............Friend - Gerba

or

Bernier - Hutchinson - Pozniak/Harmse - Radzinski

...............Hume - Friend

I agree with the attacking formation due to our standing and players avalable to us, we really don't have anything to lose! We won't win a match 1-0, this is CONCACAF, we WILL get screwed for at least one goal against due to a penalty, as well there will be phantom offsides against nullifying goals or scoring chances! We will have to score 2 or 3 clear goals to have any hope of winning therefore the attacking formation is our only option! What have we got to lose? I like the idea of taking our chances with Radz, Friend, Hume and Gerba all on the pitch at the same time! I also believe McKenna must start, he is also an offensive threat on set pieces! Yes I know we are sacrifycing some defense, these are deperate times!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Agree. People here love to talk about sexy soccer and keeping the ball on the ground but Saturday won't be the time for it. Play a 4-4-2, if Honduras allows us some space in the midfield we might try to build from the wings with Radz to get some service to Ali and Rob. If there's no space, kick the ball to the forwards and try to build from there.

Yeah, and I'm usually one of the first advocating attractive soccer, but the more i look at the lineup we're going to be forced to trot out there on Saturday and the players we have on the defensive end we need to play ugly.

I said in another thread that i was sick of the defensive play and that we need to attack more, it may have been true against Jamaica (we were too cautious against a bunkering team) but i think i was incorrect in terms of tactics against Honduras. For Honduras on the road, the cautious approach forces them to take the game to us and eliminates the surprise counter. The goals in Montreal came because we were careless, we had the lead and had them where we wanted them - having to attack us. We needed to grind the game down like we did for most of the 1st half. We'll need to get the first goal again and then work our asses off.

When we get DeRo and Serioux back for the Mexico game and we're at home with the weather around 0C, then we can use our physical advantage and hunger to take the game to Mexico and try to beat them down. It'll be too cold for them to want to mount any counters :D

^ If you watched the Impact games...they played rather conservatively except for the counter attack. Every intercepted ball was pushed up quickly into space and attacked by a flanking midfielder who crossed or somehow played it into the box.

Here is a quote from the De Vos commentary on the Impact game...

"Truth be told, Montreal are a well-organized, well-coached team who play to their strengths. They are very resolute defensively, only conceding two goals in four group games thus far, and they work extremely hard as a team.

When they don’t have the ball, they play a 4-5-1 formation that is difficult to break down. When they win possession, they commit players forward, shifting to a 4-3-3 formation which takes advantage of their pace and strength.

They play the game the way it should be played, by passing the ball on the floor and moving to create space. They are a fantastic team who has shaken off the tag of ‘underdogs’ in style."

That's the kind of ball I'd like to see.

^ If you watched the Impact games...they played rather conservatively except for the counter attack. Every intercepted ball was pushed up quickly into space and attacked by a flanking midfielder who crossed or somehow played it into the box.

Mitchell should be calling Limniatis and asking him for a photocopy of his game notes. Montreal played a textbook game against Honduran competition. I watch the Olimpia-Atlante game last night and the Mexicans let their guard down at the end, the same way we did 4 years ago. We need 90 minutes of focus and effort.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

If we did go with a 4-4-2, would we be looking at something like this? I'm not sure what we would do with Hume, Bernier and Gerba.

Hume - Bernier - Hutchinson - Radzinski

...............Friend - Gerba

or

Bernier - Hutchinson - Pozniak/Harmse - Radzinski

...............Hume - Friend

Though it's a away tie, we need a really big match from Hutchinson, now that DeGuzman's out. As others have mentioned, if we win we will probably do so in an ugly fashion. But I'll take the three points any way we can.

Time for radical changes and getting guys out of the lineup who have underperformed.

LARS

MCKENNA HAINAULT HASTINGS KLUKOWKSI

LEDGERWOOD

BERNIER HUTCHINSON RADZINSKI

HUME

FRIEND

For Mexico on Wed, put de Rosario in for Hume, Serioux in for Hainault or Hastings.

cheers.

How bout this:

After scrambling to make several connections from Munich to San Pedro Sula, Nik Ledgerwood's final segment from Miami into Honduras is diverted due to a technical difficulty and the aircraft is forced to land in Belize.

The Belizeans, eager to avenge the Cucumber Massacre of 2004 at Kingston, take Nik hostage where he is held indefinitely. Several calls are put through to the CSA demanding our "millionaire" players pay outrageous ransoms for his release. CSA must organise board meeting to take action on any event, but as the delgation party is partly in Honduras, no moves can be made.

Still insisting on his right to 18 players, the noble Canadian crusader Dale Mitchell demands Montagliani find and answer.

Ater an ad hoc meeting, Montagliani and Mitchell arrange a conference call to the Canadian media...er...Gerry Dobson....and announce that Garret Kusch, already on-hand in Honduras as massage therapist will be making his return to the National Team!!

After experiencing a hallucinatory conversation with Holger Osieck, Mitchell announces a daring 4-3-3 with Kusch, Mckenna and Harmse playing up front.

Canada goes on to score a miraculous 3-0 victory with all goals coming from Iain Hume set-pieces, and of course, Garret Kusch netting the hat-trick without the ball ever touching his feet.

Dale Mitchell returns home a hero, Jim Brennan appears on youtube begging Mitchell for his spot back on the roster.

Hear hear! If I see a constant stream of long balls to a lone forward I will cry in my beer and close my eyes. After all these decades if that is all we can do then it is over. I just can't watch. If we are to go down then go down swinging.

"I think the danger is that you go forward and push too many people forward looking for goals early in the match and leave yourself open," he said."

Duh, ya think so? So why don't we just go long and hope? That has worked so well hasn't it.

It is called transition. You go to a 4-4-2 or even a 4-3-3 when you have the ball then sprint back to a 4-5-1 when there is a turnover. You might get caught on some counters but that is what your back 4 and goalie are there for! That is why you have fast midfielders who can sprint back. Take away time and space.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

How bout this:

After scrambling to make several connections from Munich to San Pedro Sula, Nik Ledgerwood's final segment from Miami into Honduras is diverted due to a technical difficulty and the aircraft is forced to land in Belize.

The Belizeans, eager to avenge the Cucumber Massacre of 2004 at Kingston, take Nik hostage where he is held indefinitely. Several calls are put through to the CSA demanding our "millionaire" players pay outrageous ransoms for his release. CSA must organise board meeting to take action on any event, but as the delgation party is partly in Honduras, no moves can be made.

Still insisting on his right to 18 players, the noble Canadian crusader Dale Mitchell demands Montagliani find and answer.

Ater an ad hoc meeting, Montagliani and Mitchell arrange a conference call to the Canadian media...er...Gerry Dobson....and announce that Garret Kusch, already on-hand in Honduras as massage therapist will be making his return to the National Team!!

After experiencing a hallucinatory conversation with Holger Osieck, Mitchell announces a daring 4-3-3 with Kusch, Mckenna and Harmse playing up front.

Canada goes on to score a miraculous 3-0 victory with all goals coming from Iain Hume set-pieces, and of course, Garret Kusch netting the hat-trick without the ball ever touching his feet.

Dale Mitchell returns home a hero, Jim Brennan appears on youtube begging Mitchell for his spot back on the roster.

Awesome. Just make sure they keep Lars away from cheese slicers!

Archived