Sportsnet NOT showing Canada v. Honduras?

quote:Originally posted by squizz

Response from Sportsnet:

"Hello squizz,

Thanks for your recent email. Unfortunately, at this time our broadcast schedule for Canada's World Cup Qualifying matches are yet to be finalized. When we finalize the fact that we would rather show 17 hours of poker than Canadian soccer, we'll let you know by calling you and laughing down the phone at you. We make no apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, cause that's the way we work.

Sincerely,

Matthew Lamb

Audience Relations"

Fixed.

So far Sportsnet has shown Canada first 3 games live. I'm expecting that we'll see the Honduras game live as well as long as you have the 4 channels . If you don't have the digital package I guess you'll have to expect a tape delay due to a possible conflict with baseball.

Their schedule won't be ready until they know the baseball playoffs schedule who has priority over soccer.

Response from Sportsnet:

"Hello squizz,

Thanks for your recent email. Unfortunately, at this time our broadcast

schedule for Canada's World Cup Qualifying matches are yet to be

finalized. Our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,

Matthew Lamb

Audience Relations"

Did you really use "squizz"? That could be part of the problem.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Did you really use "squizz"? That could be part of the problem.

Matthew Lamb opens his email. "squizz? What the hell kind of moniker is that? Well, whatever this guy wants shown on the air, I'll make sure we don't show it!"

No, I used my actual first name, which I changed to my V-handle before posting it here so as to avoid confusion (although not, apparently, ridicule).

quote:Originally posted by theaub

Sportsnet has shown all three games live in a country where the vast majority of people are completely uninterested in the national team. I have no idea why anyone on here bashes them.

Because we're part of the small minority of people who are completely interested in the national team?

Because we're part of the small minority of people who are completely interested in the national team?

It's OK to e-mail them and ask to see the game live but at some point you have to understand that Sportsnet has to make business decision in the best interest of the corporation.

So ****ting on them after they've showed 3 games live and will probably do so for the last 3 games (at least for the digital package) is something that I don't really understand. IMO, they are doing an honest job showing our MNT games so far.

Which reminds me, has anyone seen or obtained the TV rating numbers for the first two WCQ matches? I have been curious about this as well as the numbers for the Voyageur cup games. There was a lot of media coverage for those two matches that we played here.

We seem to get the TFC number regularly. which aren't all that good. But i'd like to see what they're like when two Cnd teams play.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It's OK to e-mail them and ask to see the game live but at some point you have to understand that Sportsnet has to make business decision in the best interest of the corporation.

So ****ting on them after they've showed 3 games live and will probably do so for the last 3 games (at least for the digital package) is something that I don't really understand. IMO, they are doing an honest job showing our MNT games so far.

This was the content of the email I sent to them earlier today:

"Hello,

I'm writing to inquire as to whether Rogers Sportsnet holds the

broadcast rights for Canada's upcoming World Cup Qualifying soccer

matches on Saturday, October 11 and Wednesday, October 15. If so,

could you please let me know when and on what station the matches will

be shown?

Regards,

[me - no, I didn't write 'squizz']"

My original post pointed out that according to their website, they're not scheduled to be showing the match AT ALL as of right now, so I invited people to email Sportsnet to find out what the situation was. Where did I bash them, exactly? I don't see it. All I did was encourage people to contact them regarding the matches. What's wrong with that? I want to see the matches live. Don't you? How else will that happen unless we pressure the rights-holder to broadcast them?

I'm not naive enough to think that Sportsnet makes its broadcasting decisions based on anything other than good business sense. But how are we supposed to convince them that showing these matches live is a good business decision, if not by emailing them en masse and showing them that there are people who want to watch these matches?

If Sportsnet isn't interested in showing WCQ games what chance do we have in watching them live other than attending? If the Edmonton game was on a Saturday I would fly up in a second. I wouldn't mind paying $10 PPV to watch the match. Anyone know if it will be online via streams?

This was the content of the email I sent to them earlier today:

"Hello,

I'm writing to inquire as to whether Rogers Sportsnet holds the

broadcast rights for Canada's upcoming World Cup Qualifying soccer

matches on Saturday, October 11 and Wednesday, October 15. If so,

could you please let me know when and on what station the matches will

be shown?

Regards,

[me - no, I didn't write 'squizz']"

My original post pointed out that according to their website, they're not scheduled to be showing the match AT ALL as of right now, so I invited people to email Sportsnet to find out what the situation was. Where did I bash them, exactly? I don't see it. All I did was encourage people to contact them regarding the matches. What's wrong with that? I want to see the matches live. Don't you? How else will that happen unless we pressure the rights-holder to broadcast them?

I'm not naive enough to think that Sportsnet makes its broadcasting decisions based on anything other than good business sense. But how are we supposed to convince them that showing these matches live is a good business decision, if not by emailing them en masse and showing them that there are people who want to watch these matches?

Hey Squizz, you did quote theaub message who was a general comment about the attitude shown by the majority in this thread. I was explaining to you why some people like theaub and me were fealing that way about the bashing of sportsnet. It had nothing to do with you.

Like I've said, we must continue to put pressure on them to show that we care but we also have to understand their decisions, specially if they make sense considering the canadian market.

Matthew Lamb opens his email. "squizz? What the hell kind of moniker is that? Well, whatever this guy wants shown on the air, I'll make sure we don't show it!"

No, I used my actual first name, which I changed to my V-handle before posting it here so as to avoid confusion (although not, apparently, ridicule).

Ridicule is a part of being a Canadian soccer fan, and this board is no exception :)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Hey Squizz, you did quote theaub message who was a general comment about the attitude shown by the majority in this thread. I was explaining to you why some people like theaub and me were fealing that way about the bashing of sportsnet. It had nothing to do with you.

Like I've said, we must continue to put pressure on them to show that we care but we also have to understand their decisions, specially if they make sense considering the canadian market.

Fair enough. All I'm saying is that if Sportsnet doesn't show the upcoming matches, I will understand why they did it, but I will not like or accept it. But I suppose there's no use arguing about any of this until we find out for sure what Sportsnet intends to do.

Archived