de Guzman to Toronto?

FootieFool

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I think taht both Friend and Hutch would be excellent acquisitions. But I want to be clear and specific in what I said as not make it sound I am dismissing or denigrating their abilities.

I was referring to the designated player category. The intent of that designation, when it was introduced by MLS, was to lure the likes of Beckham, Figo, Henry and Zidane and those types. At their ages, you could argue that non DP's could be better players. It would great if the cap could increase so that players of that type could be atracted to the league. But they would be setting a dangerous precedent if they started giving that kind of money to playesr of Hutch's and Freind's stature. The name value of Freind and Hutch is not consistent with what the DP was internede for.

Weren't there Davids and Kluivert MLS rumors at one point?

HEHEHEHE No chance De Guzman will end up at TFC 0% this wont happen till he is ready for his last contract....to believe Mo and Carver on this one is just letting them bul$%hit people again....I really could care less for those two's antics as I could really care less for TFC at this point honestly (lack of Canadian Content main factor) but sometimes they go a bit too far exposing just bogus they really are in the football world

quote:Originally posted by peachgrinder

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/09/19/6810081-sun.html

Posted this in the TFC forum as well.

PEACH

"In a couple of months' time I will probably go to Sao Paulo and Rio, and then head to Argentina because we have a contact at Boca Juniors."

What it does mean is that TFC likely will see an influx of South Americans at training camp next season.

Finally!!!

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

"In a couple of months' time I will probably go to Sao Paulo and Rio, and then head to Argentina because we have a contact at Boca Juniors."

What it does mean is that TFC likely will see an influx of South Americans at training camp next season.

Finally!!!

uggh i cringe even more every quote i read about what he's doing. It reads like stupid gringo goes to south america, does no research. Next were going to hear he's going to sign Martain Palermo to the development roster.

Going to South America, fine. Dealing with Boca, why? Huge club, great players, no utility to us because of our budget. The guys on the bench there are going to have other options before they have to consider TFC, so that's going to leave us with something way further down the line.

We should be looking to lesser clubs to form partnerships or even the first division clubs in Argentina that aren't quite as rich as Boca/River. Argentinos Juniors, Tigre, Vélez Sársfield, much better ideas. Then we can sign players that actually see the field every once in a while. Like Franco Niell, but over 5'2 and with more talent.

quote:Originally posted by Free kickOf all the Cnds in Europe, he would be the one exception for whom I feel that he has a better immediate future staying in Europe rather than NA.

?????? JDG the one exception????????? I would say that almost all the Canadians in Europe who are getting playing time have a better immediate and long term future staying in Europe. So do the majority of young players who are getting high level training in Europe. The only ones who would have an advantage coming back are those who are not playing like Stalteri and those who are on low level clubs like Canizales and even in those cases they are probably making far better salaries in Europe.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

^ !???!

Why did you quote one sentence from my post and ignore the rest of it that pretty much agrees with your view?

BTW, if he moved here as a DP he wouldn't be taking a 90% pay cut. If TFC are willing to pay him $2M then that's probably a similar amount to what he gets at Depor.

sorry, you are right...that should have been two posts...saying that JDG would improve TFC was a serious understatement...that was my only comment to your post.

my other point was just that just because there is now a team in canada, we shouldnt assume that every player we have has a goal of playing here...MLS is a very low league and i doubt few of our top players will settle there until any kind of european pursuit has been exhausted...no young player is going to give up being a starter in la liga or BL1 to come to MLS...even if they can make 2 million per year.

it seems like TFC fans think way too highly of the calibre of that league to even suggest friend or julian essentially ending their careers at the age of 27 and moving to MLS.

You guys make me sick...WTF why can't the best Canadian play for TFC, we are not talking about Gerrard or Ronaldo here, if JDG is the best Canadian he does not even touch the best 50 in the world ...and you are telling me that a decent MF that would be warming the bench in the top clubs would not love playing for his home town for DP money...please

^ because MLS is a retirement league, and JDG is not ready to retire anytime soon.

If he came over at 27 yrs old, I'd be disappointed in him. He'll get his money in Spain and he'll continue to develop as one of the best defensive midfielders in Spain.

For the life of me, I can't imagine what Canadian would be DP worthy other than Hutch (transfer fee is too high), JDG (not a chance its going to happen for 6-7 years) or DeRo. What about Radz? would he want to come home? What about Hume? Does he really have any hope of ever playing in the Prem?

Would any of your really give Diesel DP money? I'm not so sure. Could you not find a Right Back somewhere in South America for a $150K to $200K...I'd think so.

quote:Originally posted by Reds YNWA

You guys make me sick...WTF why can't the best Canadian play for TFC, we are not talking about Gerrard or Ronaldo here, if JDG is the best Canadian he does not even touch the best 50 in the world ...and you are telling me that a decent MF that would be warming the bench in the top clubs would not love playing for his home town for DP money...please

First of all, he's not warming the bench. Second, our budget is so small that we struggle to afford the transfer fees of someone like that. Third the reality of the situation is a competitive player in one of the worlds best leagues is not going to head back to play in his home league just to get back to his home town.

quote:Originally posted by Reds YNWA

JDG:

Key player to the second half turn around his club did last year.

Player of the year for his team.

Plays 90 most games unless injured.

Has good quality teammates he plays with.

Is in a country where soccer is THE game.

Gets to face star laden teams like Real Madrid.

Has first rate coaching and staff.

Endorsements and salary (Spain) or just salary (Canada).

Transfer fee would be in the Altidore range or higher.

I've been wrong plenty of times but from any angle I can think of it ain't going to happen anytime soon.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

^^ As far as i can recall, Julian is out of contract come the end of this season, so he can sign a contract with anyone outside of Spain for no transfer fee as of January 1.

Pretty sure Julian can sign anywhere as a Bosman, including in Spain.

edit: i overlooked the "January 1st" part of your post. Is there a stipulation that if you want to sign ahead of time the way Rob Friend did that it has to be outside of the same country? (it would make sense to avoid any funny business).

Julian coming home is a great story, and great for TFC, but it should not happen. He still has several years yet to play in Europe, at a high level. He is too good to come back.

The only player I could see TFC signing at DP--somebody worthwhile--is Radzinski. Hutch still has much to do in Europe; Stalteri ain't worth it (sorry to say); DeGuzman is too good to come back now; Hume makes a hell of a lot more in the UK; Friend is playing too well in Germany and needs to stay there. Sure, DeRo would be a nice addition, but I get the impression he's not available.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Julian coming home is a great story, and great for TFC, but it should not happen. He still has several years yet to play in Europe, at a high level. He is too good to come back.

The only player I could see TFC signing at DP--somebody worthwhile--is Radzinski. Hutch still has much to do in Europe; Stalteri ain't worth it (sorry to say); DeGuzman is too good to come back now; Hume makes a hell of a lot more in the UK; Friend is playing too well in Germany and needs to stay there. Sure, DeRo would be a nice addition, but I get the impression he's not available.

But didn't Radz just switch clubs?

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Pretty sure Julian can sign anywhere as a Bosman, including in Spain.

edit: i overlooked the "January 1st" part of your post. Is there a stipulation that if you want to sign ahead of time the way Rob Friend did that it has to be outside of the same country? (it would make sense to avoid any funny business).

I am pretty sure the stipulation you mention is correct. Last season, Olaf Mellberg (sp?) signed for Juve in Italy long before his season with Aston Villa ended. Mellberg continued to play with Villa until their season ended, and only then did he move to Italy, even though it had been announced that he was leaving a few months before that. (This is where I am a little less sure but I think) If Mellberg had wanted to sign on a Bosman free transfer for another English team, he would have had to wait until his contract was officially expired with Villa.

So I am pretty sure if Julian wanted to sign for free with a club outside of Spain, he could do so as of Jan 1 (even though he would still play the season out with Deportivo and still be under contract with Deportivo too until approx. July). But if Julian wanted to go on a free to another club within Spain, he would have to wait to sign any contract "officially" until after the season in Spain was over.

Archived