de Guzman to Toronto?

FootieFool

Seems highly unlikely, but Dobson floats it on his blog post this week.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/09/18/dobson_designated_player_tfc/

quote:But as you have been hearing, plans are already underway for next year. Both Carver and Director of Soccer Mo Johnston are telling anyone who will listen that a designated player is a slam dunk. Johnston let his guard down Thursday afternoon, (or maybe he didn't) and let it be known that they both prefer the designated player to be a Canadian. Carver and Johnston both love Deportivo La Coruna midfielder Julian de Guzman, so you figure it out.

There's no way he would come to Toronto at this point in his career. He's peaking as a midfielder. Although he hasn't been offered a new contract as of late there's still plenty of time. And if not I can almost guarantee there will be several other clubs in Europe wanting to sign him. Field turf doesn't help any either :-/. As he always joked him and JDG #2 will retire in Toronto together. At least one of them will be welcomed

As a TFC fan i think he would greatly improve our central midfield, but as a Canada fan i'd rather Julian keep playing at a higher level than MLS for atleast a few more years. With the officiating in this league he'd get hacked to death by all the skill-less Cro-Magnons who can't match up with him.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

As a TFC fan i think he would greatly improve our central midfield, but as a Canada fan i'd rather Julian keep playing at a higher level than MLS for atleast a few more years. With the officiating in this league he'd get hacked to death by all the skill-less Cro-Magnons who can't match up with him.

Of all the Cnds in Europe, he would be the one exception for whom I feel that he has a better immediate future staying in Europe rather than NA.

But on the other hand he is the only one whom you could justify DP money for. A while ago I might have though Dero and Atiba as well, but i am not so sure anymore. DeRo is not getting any younger ( and has played for far far less than DP $$$) and Hutch? well not for someone whose highest level of play is Denmark and/or who plays the role he does. A DP has to be someone who can create a buzz, change a game or influence a game through his presence. Preferrably an offensive talent. DP to MLS also means someone you can market and its tough to market someone whose name is not often on a scoresheet. WE do live in a a stats oriented world here in North american sports.

Two things:

1) If i have to read one more article from these "journalists" floating the management created idea that turf prevents you from fielding a competitive team in MLS i am going to lose it. Facts: three other teams in MLS have turf. All of them have better records than TFC. All of them are currently in the playoffs. One of them made it to the MLS cup final last year. Management just wants to cry about the turf, one of the two has to go, and judging by today’s article in the star it's not going to be the plastic. The real story: we are in second last place.

2) Management, as usual is living in a dream world thinking of potential players to sign.

^ I agree. I wonder how much negative sentiment both Johnston and Carver are emanating through the club due to their dislike of the turf. I really think that Johnston needs to go, he just isn't making great choices as of late (or ever?) like bringing in guys like Robert who run out of steam after 2 games.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Of all the Cnds in Europe, he would be the one exception for whom I feel that he has a better immediate future staying in Europe rather than NA.

But on the other hand he is the only one whom you could justify DP money for. A while ago I might have though Dero and Atiba as well, but i am not so sure anymore. DeRo is not getting any younger ( and has played for far far less than DP $$$) and Hutch? well not for someone whose highest level of play is Denmark and/or who plays the role he does. A DP has to be someone who can create a buzz, change a game or influence a game through his presence. Preferrably an offensive talent. DP to MLS also means someone you can market and its tough to market someone whose name is not often on a scoresheet. WE do live in a a stats oriented world here in North american sports.

How about Rob Friend? He's doing quite well in the Bundesliga, I'm sure Carver could find a place for him on his squad! :D

Also, Hutchinson is a great player. At FCK he plays a more attacking role, and scored 9 league goals last season. He would come in and be TFC's best player hands down. Can't go wrong with Hutch!

I'd say Friend is about 6 months away from a transfer and a huge pay day at this rate. Even if he slows down and nets only a few more this year, he'll be well outside of TFC's budget. Same with JDG.

How much is MLSE realistically going to spend on a DP? Forbes lists operating profit last year as 2M dollars (probably a low estimate, but still). So i doubt we'd be talking more than $2M a year, which isn't going to get much in terms of world class players.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

As a TFC fan i think he would greatly improve our central midfield.

thats the understatement of the year...

he is a regular in the best league in the world...what would be his motive to take a 90% pay cut and come play in a half baked league that ranks somewhere below the pro bowling tour in popularity, where the fields are plastic, have gridiron marking all over them or are actually a baseball stadium...

he is just as likely to decide to go play in league two in england.

it would be like jarome iginla deciding that he would rather play for peanuts in the kazakstan league.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

My fingers are crossed for Germany or Spain.

If I had to bet it would be on Germany. Mabye a mid table club, but hopefully a club like Stuttgart, Bayern Leverkusan, or Bourussia Dortmund. I think the big two, Munich and Bremen, are a bit out of reach.

I kind of hope he goes to Spain though....

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

thats the understatement of the year...

he is a regular in the best league in the world...what would be his motive to take a 90% pay cut and come play in a half baked league that ranks somewhere below the pro bowling tour in popularity, where the fields are plastic, have gridiron marking all over them or are actually a baseball stadium...

he is just as likely to decide to go play in league two in england.

it would be like jarome iginla deciding that he would rather play for peanuts in the kazakstan league.

^ !???!

Why did you quote one sentence from my post and ignore the rest of it that pretty much agrees with your view?

BTW, if he moved here as a DP he wouldn't be taking a 90% pay cut. If TFC are willing to pay him $2M then that's probably a similar amount to what he gets at Depor.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

If I had to bet it would be on Germany. Mabye a mid table club, but hopefully a club like Stuttgart, Bayern Leverkusan, or Bourussia Dortmund. I think the big two, Munich and Bremen, are a bit out of reach.

I kind of hope he goes to Spain though....

He won't be going anywhere unless his transfer fee is reduced. Anybody know how long he has on his contract in Denmark?

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

How about Rob Friend? He's doing quite well in the Bundesliga, I'm sure Carver could find a place for him on his squad! :D

Also, Hutchinson is a great player. At FCK he plays a more attacking role, and scored 9 league goals last season. He would come in and be TFC's best player hands down. Can't go wrong with Hutch!

I think that both Friend and Hutch would be excellent acquisitions. But I want to be clear and specific in what I said as to not make it sound like I am dismissing or denigrating their abilities.

I was referring to the designated player category. The intent of that designation, when it was introduced by MLS, was for the likes of Beckham, Figo, Henry and Zidane and those types. At their ages, you could argue that non DP's could be better players. It would great if the cap could increase so that players like Friend and Atiba could be repatriated. But they would be setting a dangerous precedent if they started giving that kind of money to players of Hutch's and Freind's stature. The name value of Freind and Hutch is not consistent with what the DP was interended for.

Archived