Canada/Jamaica - Post Game

maccaliam

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I want NO changes for the match vs. Honduras EXCEPT move Hutchinson to left wing, De Rosario to the middle and Imhof to defensive midfielder (in place of Bernier).

IMHOF should have started. Friend and Onstad should stay, Onstad made two very nice saves despite the mistake.

So you want no changes except totally rearrange our midfield and put Hutch in a position we've never seen him in?

I stayed up to watch the match online... and then couldn't sleep after to I'm going to be useless today at work.

I really had forgotten how incredibly frustrating CONCACAF WCQ matches are to watch. It's like the nightmare of being tied up and forced to watch someone abuse the one you love the most. You feel completely helpless and the anger surfaces.

However, our players are not helpless. Of course the poor officiating will happen no matter what... but the over-the-top reactions should be left to the fans. I thought Atiba and Adrian were actually going to rip the ref's head off. Doing this plays right into our rivals hands. Given that CONCACAF is usually looking for a way kill us off, they were lucky to still be on the pitch.

I know people have said they didn't play very well... but that was still the best football I've seen from a Canadian team in a WC qualifier since I've been watching (which was probably 1986 qualifying). Yes they can and will play even better... but only if they lose the persecution complex evident in the Jamaica match. If they do learn their lessons about controlling their emotions, the cream will rise to the top and Canada will qualify for the next round.

I can't really say there was a generally poor performance from any of our players last night. Obviously Onstad made an error that cost us a goal but he's a champion (MLS) and a very experienced veteran and I'd wager he won't make a gaff like that again. If the team are most comfortable with him in goal I'd keep him in there for Honduras. We have two converted centrebacks in front of him and his experience is probably a big reason Hastings and Serioux are playing as well as they are. I don't know if the communication/understanding would be as good with Sutton.

Given the field conditions I thought our boys showed a very good first touch. Gerba and Hume made a difference off the bench. Whoever commented that it would have been good to have McKenna in for those corners has a good point though. I could see Gerba starting in Montreal simple because the chemistry between him and the other starters seems to be better. Overall Friend is probably the better player but he doesn't seem to gel with the others as well. Perhaps he should come off the bench late to give the opposition extra problems in the final 20 minutes.

I'm still optimistic... but our conduct on the pitch is the wild card. Refs are going to be looking for it and will be quick to punish.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

So you want no changes except totally rearrange our midfield and put Hutch in a position we've never seen him in?

I've seen Hutch for FCK vs. Manchester United in the Champs League at left mid. Trust me he is more than capable there.

This will allow DeRO and De Guzman to attack while Imhof can be our rock in the midfield.

I think Sutton and Brennan should have started on the turf they play on every day. That bounce that Onstad mishandled for the goal --- would it have bounced that way on natural grass? The turf was the biggest disappointment, I loved attending a WCQ in Toronto but for the teams sake, thank goodness the two other games are in Montreal and Edmonton where there is a REAL pitch.

The Jamaicans never pressed the Canadian defence until DeGuzman's goal --- they had everyone back behind the midfield line whenever Canada had clear defensive possession, and played a bit of counter-attack. They also had more practice together than Canada, and it showed --- Canada looked sloppy and tentative in the first half. Canada did generate good chances in the second half, but I am puzzled as to why they waited that long to press.

Kudos to the crowd --- looked like a 60-40 Canada/Jamaica split in my section, 90-10 in the south end, 80-20 everywhere else. The crowd noise and atmosphere made an otherwise average game a very memorable one.

Peace

Mitchell has to drop Onstad and start Hume and not be afraid to sub DeRo.

Greatness takes courage.

Serioux is an accident waiting to happen as well.

Greatest Canadian team ever? Not the greatest result.

Greaest Canadian fan support for sure!

quote:Originally posted by difab

In regards to the anthem, we have to get that dude from the Ottawa Senators, he would definitely jack up the crowd.

The man's name is Lyndon Slewidge. I agree - we need someone to stand up and take charge of the anthem, if only to get things even more rocking.

Dale needs to get his players focused on 'staying focused' for the next match. Some of those yellows are going to come back and haunt us. Any successful coach at any level in any sport knows that you have to keep your players on track and able to remain focused on the task at hand regardless of the officiating. If Dale can't step up and keep the tabs on our best, then he will be a lame duck and won't last. Show some passion and some guts Mr. Mitchell!

PEACH

quote:Originally posted by canso

not be afraid to sub DeRo.

We needed DeRo on the pitch he is a guy that can be playing like crap, but make the difference that wins us the match. He can turn around a game and he has done for us many times, don't take him off in tight matches.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Serioux is an accident waiting to happen as well.

Serioux reminds me of MAterazzi he can pull off the impossible one game, the next he can burn you for dumb decisions makes by taking fouls just outside the box.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

This may have been posted elsewhere, but I see that Maynor Figueroa got sent off for Honduras, so he should be suspended for the match in Montreal.

He's a left back, on loan to Wigan.

Apparently, there's another Honduran who got a yellow against Puerto Rico who got one last night, he should also be suspended for the game against us.

This will be a must win situation.

de Guzman is a friggin genius. He was acres above everyone else on the field. He's worth the price of admission alone.

De Rosario plays to win. The guy never quits and always finds a way to turn nothing into something.

Klukowski really struggled.

Did anyone see the break on the corner Williams took? I was waiting for the replay to see if it hit a bird or something.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Apparently, there's another Honduran who got a yellow against Puerto Rico who got one last night, he should also be suspended for the game against us.

This will be a must win situation.

Elvis Turcois

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Wow I know its sucks that we drew our first game, but its not the end of the world. We're one game into qualifying and its already "Fire Mitchell". FFS he hasn't lost against a CONCACAF nation yet. If we beat Honduras in Montreal we'll be sitting on 4 points with Hondouras on 0. So everyone calm down. We didn't play that badly, we ran into a good keeper and got a little unlucky (Onstad error, DeGuzman crossbar).

While I understand what you are saying, the games comes fast and quick and before you know it this round is over. Its only six games long and that makes each game that much more important. If we draw all 6 games we do not go through. We must win a few and this one was winnable.

quote:Originally posted by boban1

While I understand what you are saying, the games comes fast and quick and before you know it this round is over. Its only six games long and that makes each game that much more important. If we draw all 6 games we do not go through. We must win a few and this one was winnable.

I never said I was jumping for joy for the draw. I just said that we all need to realize there are still 15 points up for grabs.

We were flat in the 1st half but improved in the 2nd. The referee sure didn't do us any favours. The back line was fine. I think there was a bit too much concern early in getting the ball to Rob Friend in the air, who was pretty much unsupported, instead of playing it on the deck and moving up as a group. Some great chances in the 2nd half, we really should have moved on 2-0. Pat's mistake was very disappointing.

And Julian just keeps getting better every game for Canada!

We were flat in the 1st half but improved in the 2nd. The referee sure didn't do us any favours. The back line was fine. I think there was a bit too much concern early in getting the ball to Rob Friend in the air, who was pretty much unsupported, instead of playing it on the deck and moving up as a group. Some great chances in the 2nd half, we really should have moved on 2-0. Pat's mistake was very disappointing.

And Julian just keeps getting better every game for Canada!

My late post game thoughts:

1. The main thing that I can think of regarding Onstad is agreeing that he seems to have difficulty handling pressure. When he can get into a groove, which he does with his club team and did at the Gold Cup, he's great. But put him in the spotlight for one game and he seems nervous. Too bad, because I was really behind him going in.

2. Despite all the Onstad criticism, Friend was by far our worst player last night. On top of looking like a square peg in a round hole (he doesn't seem to blend into our team's play), he is simply way too soft for a target forward. Instead of being disruptive, he only won one arial challenge and was responsible for broken attacks all night. I am really giving up on this guy, regardless of his club success.

3. In contrast, Ali Gerba (along with Hume's inclusion) added two elements to our game. For one, we were way more disruptive up front. And secondly, our attack had more direction and purpose to it. We really started to focus on their net. Regardless of his inconsistent club career, Ali's play is well-suited to our system and to CONCACAF opposition. With his strike rate, I've got him penciled in up front now. And I'm ready to bring Occean in for a look see (as a possible back-up).

4. Adrian Serioux was my man of the match (honourable mention to Julian). He owned the Jamaican forwards and won all the challenges in the air (like Friend should have). His aggressiveness is still a worry but at least he's working in the trenches. Very solid and confident play.

5. Julian's amazing patience and dribbling skills aside, our midfield was decidedly average last night. We seemed to lack cohesion, although I must admit that Jamaica did play a smart road game, and didn't give us much room to get going.

6. Although the referee was a bit foul-happy, he didn't have an impact on the game. Our cards were dumb moves and should have been avoided.

7. Hopefully, this game will serve as a wake-up call for us. There is much room for improvement. Good news is that Mexico beat Honduras, so a win next time out (against Honduras) and we're right back in there. I still have faith!!!

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I never said I was jumping for joy for the draw. I just said that we all need to realize there are still 15 points up for grabs.

Exactly...we're all bummed that we dropped the points, but would you rather be Honduran today? They have 0 points, and blew a lead to Mexico. Jamaican perhaps? They may have just played their best game in the group, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the only point they have come November.

I'm no fan of rose-coloured glasses, and the next 5 games are critical. But does anyone else here see the upside of our team?

Couple tactical considerations:

1. Perhaps we need to consider pairing Gerba and Friend together up front. I know the wide 4-5-1 has been working to some extent for us, but it leaves Friend very isolated and we seem to be relying solely on his aerial attack. Him and Gerba have contrasting skills that could work very well together.

2. We seem to be set on Hume in the super-sub role, and I can appreciate that view. However he brought in a noticeable quality with his play and generated a ton more offense than Bernier, who I thought played well, but lacked flair as a wing player.

3. We need a defensive minded parter for Julian in central midfield that will allow him to get forward more, he is lethal at the top of the box. Hutch was decent, but his mentality puts JDG in a position where he needs to focus on defense more than creating play going forward and getting to the box.

4. I'm still calling for Hirschfeld. Did you guys not watch the Champions League last year? Does training with a Romanian club just automatically mean a keeper is out of form. Onstad and Sutton are mediocre. No way Hirsch lets in that goal, bottom line.

At the risk of being a bit radical, consider this:

-----------Hirschfeld-------------

Stalteri-McKenna-Serioux-Klukowski

-------Bernier----DeGuzman--------

Hume----------------------DeRosario

---------Gerba--------------------

------------------Friend----------

Subs:

Hutchinson for Bernier if we need to attack.

Radz for Gerba or Hume if they are struggling.

Occean for Friend if he is tiring.

(Could start Imhof in place of Bernier)

(I have McKenna in as he is equally capable of Hastings, but offers far more going forward)

quote:Originally posted by jahman

Simoes is a much better coach than DM.

You got that right .. people at looking at goal scored instead of asking why our set pieces did not get a result ... why the hell play highballs to keeper who is so tall, make him dive, make him bend over.. we did not do that.

I could go on and did in the pub after, but head hurts right now.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

4. I'm still calling for Hirschfeld. Did you guys not watch the Champions League last year? Does training with a Romanian club just automatically mean a keeper is out of form. Onstad and Sutton are mediocre. No way Hirsch lets in that goal, bottom line.

People have short memories. Lars did put a corner in his own net for Cluj a few months ago in an important game against one of the Bucharest team ( I also suspect this game didn't help him with his club situation). While I might also be tempting to call for Hirsch against Honduras, please don't come up with BS like that when he did worst (the ball Lars put in his own net was an outswinger not directing into his net) than what Onstad did yesterday in a similar situation.

Gerba did well during his 15 minutes but I don't see any of Friend or Gerba as being able to create a chance for themselve. That's why I would like to see Occean included in the squad, the guy has scored all summer long and I've seen him dribbling and getting past defenders more than Gerba and Friend.

Archived