Canada/Jamaica - Post Game

maccaliam

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, thanks to all the Canadian supporters for going to BMO tonight and supporting our boys, seeing a pro-Canadian crowd in the stands and hearing the national anthem (you guys were much better than the anthem singer if you ask me) was terrific. I wish I could have been there.

Like pretty much everyone, I'm disappointed with the result, which really could have gone either way. Ricketts was immense for Jamaica in the shot-stopping department. I didn't think Radzinski had a good game, and I thought Klukoski could have been a little bit better. If the ball does indeed bounce higher or differently on the fieldturf than it does on grass I hope that the National Team does not play a competitive match at BMO until they get grass in there, Radzinski seemed to especially have problems with the bouncing ball.

Decent officiating, sure some questionable calls and injury time should have been extended by at least 2 more minutes but nothing was blown. I wouldn't mind seeing the boys flop more to draw foul calls but it would probably be a difficult adjustment and I'm not sure they could do it with the skill level of some other teams.

One final thought, I was very disappointed with the first half. Had we come out in the first half like we did in the second we probably would have bagged a goal and been up at the half, and who knows how it would have turned out.

The match in Montreal is a win or go home situation, and my inexperienced view is we'll need a result on the road or in Edmonton to move on to the next round. Difficult, but I think it can happen.

I think the ****ty part for all of us is this always take a turn for the worst right in the beginning, at least in the last 12 years. You can't help but feel it's over before it starts. The talent is there so on a positive note maybe we can squeak out a road win somehow. I really thought this time was going to be different though, I really did... (and maybe it will, just not the way we expected).

quote:Originally posted by lamptern

God is not with us today.

Same old same old. EXACTLY!

Don't let this game affect the rest of our fight, that's would be OK!

Absolutely, but the thing is we HAVE TO WIN now vs Honduras in Montreal. We can still get results on the road, so this isn't us done and dusted. But why must we make it so difficult for ourselves?

Let me try and spin this result positively...

At least, we scored first and did not lose.

Maybe the buzz around this team will dissipate and the expectation will lessen, which hopefully will yield a positive result.

Some positive changes can be made like:

Radz for Hume

Onstad for Sutton

Bring Imhof and McKenna into the mix perhaps?

Friend, JDG, Hume, Serioux all played well.

We had the better chances for sure.

The crowd support was phenomenal - a very positive development.

it is toooooooo early to write off this team. we must have faith.

To say I'm disappointed with the result is an understatement at best. I thought the team played well overall considering the amount of time they had together. Just that one lapse cost us three points. Really depressing. I'm a little less negative on Radz than some of you... but I'm no expert either. The best player on the pitch was Ricketts... someone's gotta sign that guy.

Cheers

Onstad....what can I say? There's something wrong with him when WCQ comes. I'm not to confident with the rest of our keepers but I think we need to see a new keeper against Honduras.

Decent referee, of course he missed a few calls but he was ok.

De Guzman is class.

Their keepers made a lot of good saves but also a few mistakes but we couldn't make him pay.

I'm very depress right now....we'll need to get 4 against Honduras plus 3 against Mexico and the win in Jamaica.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Onstad....what can I say? There's something wrong with him when WCQ comes. I'm not to confident with the rest of our keepers but I think we need to see a new keeper against Honduras.

Decent referee, of course he missed a few calls but he was ok.

De Guzman is class.

Their keepers made a lot of good saves but also a few mistakes but we couldn't make him pay.

I'm very depress right now....we'll need to get 4 against Honduras plus 3 against Mexico and the win in Jamaica.

^ Agreed (with all of it).

According to me...

The bad:

1- Onstad muffing a corner. I was one who felt he was the right choice for us but to give up a goal off a corner like that hurts. Reminds me of that bobble against Costa Rica last time around. We were up 1-0 at that time as well. Otherwise felt he played well. I don't really know if Sutton is a step up anyway.

2- The anthem. How we managed to find someone to sing their anthem (all 12 minutes of it) with such passion, and then find someone to sing ours with none, is beyond me. Only in Canada.

3- Our lack of midfield possesion. Seemed to me that JDG and Hutch could have had more of the ball. I think that using Rob Friend as the target guy might not be the best idea. I know Craig was saying that Jamaica did a good job of "shutting him down" but seriously, he's gotta find a way.

4- I feel sick again. Everytime around I have such high hopes. That was two points squandered.

The good:

1- JDG. Looked great. Wish he could have kept that chance under the bar.

2- Fan Support. Congrats to all of the guys at the game. I actually teared up a bit during our (poorly sung) anthem.

3- It's still early. A win against Honduras next month means we're a long way from out of it. That reminds me, gonna go watch the Honduras-Mexico game.

4- We have too good of a team not to make it out of this stage. It took a goalkeeping blunder, some stellar keeping from Ricketts, and a crossbar to deny us three points. Add to that the fact that we only really played one half of football. Disheartening, yes. Defeating, not by a long shot. I'll see you guys in Montreal.

we looked tired and old and sloppy, we looked like jamaica should have looked; its a very disapointing performance. as for onstad, i say we give sutton a shot, we definitly lost the game because of him, we had in the bag. Besides that, the concacaf just proved that it is a bag of **** as an organization.

Grrrrr... I'm so angry !

Onstad, I finally got confident with him and... I was wrong ! Where's Kenny ?

Our centre backs are totally horrible. Bring back McKenna ! I miss Devos.

Stalteri... why does he play one on ten games for Canada ? How to motivate this guy, that can be a great player ?

Only Klukowski was good from our 4 backs. We are lucky that Jamaica didn't attack more.

Hutch ??? Where's my Hutch ? Maybe put them as centre bck with McKenna because today's Hutch was useless in the midfield.

Bernier, one of the best players on the field. I understand the tactical thought of DM by replacing him by Hume but...

JDG as we know him :)

Radzinski good in first half, just above average in the second.

DDR, as Hume, good moments and worse ones.

And Friend ?!?!?! He was the invisible man ! Gerba did much more than him in 12 minutes than Friend in the rest of the game. I'm very disappointed.

And also angry on the ref, Concacaf style... None of his bad calls changes the game in defavour of us, but he made so much ! He also was helpful when not booking a second time Serioux and DDR for a hands on purpose...

I'm disppointed but this is only one game : now we have to win against Honduras.

What the guys should learn from this game is that Jamaica is beatable. Their back four had troubles with high balls, so we've to feast on that. We can win in Kingston. Will be tough, but we can do it, especially if Jamaica plays desperate and we counter effectively.

Honduras is the next test. Then Mexico in Mexico. We will take points from both these games, but it will require guts.

Well done to all the Voyageurs in Toronto. Four years ago I never would have believed that Canada could play Jamaica in Toronto and we'd have a pro-Canadian crowd. Well done!

The ref was terrible. He only called fouls when the player fell down and didn't seem to understand the concept that a hand ball is not allowed. Was that guy the referee when England played Argentina in the 1986 World Cup finals?

Pat Onstad was fine except for the screw up on the corner kick. Whoever was supposed to be guarding the near post on that one should be kicked in the backside. I'd be tempted to start Greg Sutton in the next match except for the fact that Amado Guevara probably knows him too well, being teammates at TFC. It pains me to say it, but I think we should stick with Onstad.

I'm disappointed that Jim Brennan didn't a shot in the last ten minutes. Ali Gerba mada a strong case to start the next match in place of Rob Friend. Atiba Hutchinson was very good in the middle - the Jamaicans go no offence through the middle of the park thanks to Hutch. If he shuts down every opposing team that well then we should have a chance to win every match, even away to Mexico. Julain DeGuzman was excellent as usual. Adrian Serioux surprised me with his great play, and Richard Hastings did fine. In fact, I don't think Hastings gave the ball away once when passing out of the back, which was nice.

We need to put this behind us now and get four points out of the next two matches. A win against Honduras in Montreal and a draw or a win against Mexico in Chiapas are quite achievable for this team.

Archived