Canada/Jamaica - Post Game

maccaliam

just got back from the match.. not sure how it looked on TV but canada dominated play completely. Jamaica had a couple chances, but you expect every opposition to have a few chances.. but they really never seemed dangerous to me from section 123. They had to do a lot of last-second clearing. I actually only had a problem with Brennan and number 8. Otherwise I thought they played as well as you could expect, and luck played a big role.

As a TFC fan, I'm used to this... the Montreal game in the CC was similar, particularly all the chances at the end.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Excellent point there. Why the hell did we have a singer for the Jamaican anthem anyway? Their anthem should have been piped in over the PA system and we should have played the most drab orchestral arrangement of it we could find. It was insulting that they had such a passionate anthem singer and then the Canadian anthem was sung by someone who sounded like she just learned the words yesterday. It's a small thing, but it shows that Canada still not getting all the little things right.

Exactly. What the hell was the CSA thinking? Stupid stupid stupid.

To make it worse, it was a female singing in a key that made it impossible for to sing the anthem at any volume because the key was too high.

Idiots!

BTW, is the Jamaican anthem always that long?

When I saw that Jamaican singing their national anthem, I got a real bad feeling. Our anthem looked and sounded second rate after that.

I can't understand why Mitchell keep insisting with Friend, the man is utterly useless and I don't care what he's done in Europe or what Forrest says. Gerba is the man. Radzinski I think he run out of steam. Klukowski was too predictable. I wish DeGuzman could play in a more advanced position.

When you have a goalkeeper arching back to make saves, you know he is trouble. Learned that from Waiters. Onstad needs to be just a sub. He hurt the whole team. The irony is that the coach we rejected, Simoes, really stick to us today.

Hope we can rebound, but we need to make a few changes out there.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Yeah I've always found the Caribbean fans very respectful. I don't agree with them cheering for the opposing team, but unlike some of the South/Central Americans and some Europeans (coughItalianscough) they're not jerks about it, and generally cheer for Canada too.

But we are not all coughitalinjerkscough right? Lots of us do support Canada, before Italy!

quote:Originally posted by jimmynow

just got back from the match.. not sure how it looked on TV but canada dominated play completely. Jamaica had a couple chances, but you expect every opposition to have a few chances.. but they really never seemed dangerous to me from section 123. They had to do a lot of last-second clearing. I actually only had a problem with Brennan and number 8. Otherwise I thought they played as well as you could expect, and luck played a big role.

As a TFC fan, I'm used to this... the Montreal game in the CC was similar, particularly all the chances at the end.

Brennan didn't get into the game. I think you might be thinking of Mike Klukowski, who played Brennan's usual position for TFC (left back). Many of us who watched on TV thought Klukowski was out of gas at the end there. I really think Mitchell should have taken him off in favour of Brennan for the last ten minutes or so.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

When I saw that Jamaican singing their national anthem, I got a real bad feeling. Our anthem looked and sounded second rate after that.

I can't understand why Mitchell keep insisting with Friend, the man is utterly useless and I don't care what he's done in Europe or what Forrest says. Gerba is the man. Radzinski I think he run out of steam. Klukowski was too predictable. I wish DeGuzman could play in a more advanced position.

When you have a goalkeeper arching back to make saves, you know he is trouble. Learned that from Waiters. Onstad needs to be just a sub. He hurt the whole team. The irony is that the coach we rejected, Simoes, really stick to us today.

Hope we can rebound, but we need to make a few changes out there.

I thought Radzinski was fine, but clearly needs to sub out sooner. I don't feel that Friend is useless at all; I simply feel that for the style we are playing, somebody like Gerba has proven a better fit. Gerba is like a sixth midfielder out there, and god he's strong! With Friend we depend too much on picking him out, and often in a rather static, straight up the middle of the pitch sort of way. With Gerba, he was making good diagonal runs to the corners, winning the ball and holding it up really well, then laying it off and creating chances.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Yeah I've always found the Caribbean fans very respectful. I don't agree with them cheering for the opposing team, but unlike some of the South/Central Americans and some Europeans (coughItalianscough) they're not jerks about it, and generally cheer for Canada too.

Haitian fans would have to be the exception to the rule about Caribbean fans being respectful. They were far from it when a few of us Vs went down to Miami for the 2002 Gold Cup and Canada played Haiti.

I agree Villus...way to much long ball with a target man who did nothing. Gerba was way more effective than Friend.

Onstad's gaff cost us 3 points and it took about 7 minutes for the boys to regroup.

I found Stalteri to be below average a quality LB or Lmid will eat him alive, he needs to find a team and play quality minutes.Serioux was reckless but I have no problem with that,you need at least 1 CB who will make the opposition pay.Hastings was poor,very slow almost cost us late when he was late to react in the box.Kluko was fine and if his deliveries were more crisp he would grade high,reads the play and makes his runs down the line perfectly.

Dero never got his groove,looked frustrated all nite.Julian is a player thats it, we must move him into a more offensive role,everything should run thru him.Atiba looked like a guy who just flew in to TO.Radz had trouble with the turf but he is quality,nice set up, played well with Kluko.Bernier was very solid, had to be subbed.

Friend was horrible, a target man must win some flicks,chest a couple of balls play to his mids,cause some fouls....IMO to slow.

Subs were great Hume was good,foul should have been on the LB outside the box his arm dragged both players down. Gerba did more in15 minutes than Friend nuff said.

Mitchell should make 2 changes 1.Gerba for Friend is obvious 2. Imoff for Radz(who I think would be a great option off the bench) which frees Jlian to be more offensive.

3pts Sept 6th !!!!!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I swear the dude was making it up as he was going.

And by the way, big ups (I believe that's what you kids say today) to all y'all who made it into TO for the match. Look forward to meeting more of you in Montreal.

Where is Lars? Even Sutton wouldn't made that mistake.

Anyway Canada did alright! It wasn't best game for Canada, but they didn't look too bad either. Dale needs to make some adjustments (bench Friend and start Ali G) if we want to beat Honduras.

By the way, Sportsnet said there were just under 22,000 people at the game today. Is that a high time all in attendance for BMO field?

it sucks when our weakest player is in the most important position...how often can we let this happen...i know lars isnt playing, but seriously we know that the two MLS keepers will give us mediocre if we are lucky...lars might also be mediocre but at least there is a chance he will be better....pat is a nice guy who had a good career, but he has let us down too often in big games....we know we will lose with him, so its time to try something different.

the difference in the game...their keeper was good, our wasnt.....end of story.

i agree about the anthem...30 year old scratched up record at most...it even sounded like the girl singing the canadian anthem was jamaican.

now we need to beat them at home...not impossible...next game is must 3 points.

Now i know we weigh a number of different factors when selecting venues but I have to question from a tactical perspective why Jamaica in BMO and Mexico in Edmonton (other than the weather factor).

We give the skilled team the big field to play on and we give the grinder team the small field to drag down our play.

Ah well, nothing is perfect i guess.

Considering we've gone from rolling out the welcome mat, to by chance having one guy sing the anthem with more passion, I'll take it. Although i did want to kill myself for the length of time he was singing.

it also seemed like the turf was an issue..the ball seemed to be really bouncy and hard to control for the first half hour....our team has become a posession team and they were not able to do that because of a high bouncing ball....it will be interesting to hear if any of them felt the turf made it difficult to play their style.

Here is my match assessment....draw on the road, win at home :) JDG is a stud -- if he is out you guys are cooked. Our make shift backline did thier job for the most part -- some lapses here and there, but we are using 4 guys who are playing together for the first time. The Jamaican support was awesome - the anthem fired us up. Are the Canadians always this nice--- the group behind us did not say a word for the entire match.... they seemed almost embarrassed when Canada scored and terrified when we responded. Funny to see some here still thinking we are a crap team, when we used essentially patchwork squad yet still held your best team ever at HOME IN THE FIRST GAME OF WCQ.

Simoes is a much better coach than DM.

Good luck the rest of the way.

quote:Originally posted by OFI-MTL

Mitchell should make 2 changes 1.Gerba for Friend is obvious 2. Imoff for Radz(who I think would be a great option off the bench) which frees Jlian to be more offensive.

3pts Sept 6th !!!!!!!!!!

Disagree with both, second only slightly though as i agree Imhoff should come into the starting 11. I feel he should come in for bernier. Bernier was decent tonight but I think Radz should still get the start next game. His experience is invaluable.

Friend was isolated and was teamed up on, as was DeRo whenever he got the ball. THe jamaicans were smart and concentrated on those two aas the way to shut down our offense, and it worked. DeGuz and Hutch were too deep most of the time to be able to really be worried about very often by the Jamaicans.

With Imhoff, I think DeGuz and Hutch will be much more involved in the play in the opposing half, which will then open up much more room for Friend and Dero.

quote:Originally posted by Markus

As positive as I can be right now...

We have to finish second or better in our group, and here are the standings right now:

Mexico- 3 pts

Canada- 1 pt

Jamaica- 1 pt

Honduras 0pts

To add to that, if we beat Honduras in the next match, we'll have 4 pts and they'll have 0. We can still do this... :)

Archived