Toronto Argos and BMO Field

Luis_Rancagua

Guys listen to this interview right about the 18th minutes of the interview...The host of this radio station is a real prick. He calls TFC fans goofs. He also makes it sound that the Argos are the greatest thing in the world. I'm in the mood of calling this guy right now and give this goof a piece of my mind...Can someone here give me the name of this guy...Once I'm finished with him, I'm certainly going to be placed in Canada's terrorist watch list...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/08/audio-toronto-argos-still-could-call.html

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys listen to this interview right about the 18th minutes of the interview...The host of this radio station is a real prick. He calls TFC fans goofs. He also makes it sound that the Argos are the greatest thing in the world. I'm in the mood of calling this guy right now and give this goof a piece of my mind...Can someone here give me the name of this guy...Once I'm finished with him, I'm certainly going to be placed in Canada's terrorist watch list...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/08/audio-toronto-argos-still-could-call.html

The goof comment was made by Mike Toth. If there is any expert on goofs, it is Mike Toth.

It is Mike Hogan who is understanding of our concerns much to my surprise as he has often stated he has little interest in soccer.

Toth clearly illustrated what a goof he is with his comments about opportunities for college girls and the need for a "lingerie bowl".

The man cannot be taken seriously and really shouldn't be taken seriously.

Ia anybody keeping track of these goofs and who they are. Are they the same ones I keep complaining about and do these goofs have that media power to sway their listeners.

I also think it is time we all unite and as a group go after these goofs and make them aware of their ridiculous hate against soccer. Maybe we should do as the French did umpteen years ago and storm their bastions. OK let's settle for an email campaign.

I think that would be very, very difficult to pull off no matter what the city may or may not want. The feds sunk how much money into that place? With the expressed purpose of providing a home for Canadian soccer in southern Ontario. No "home" to Canadian soccer will ever contain grid-iron lines on a plastic pitch. Especially if the current facility is making money. Their just isn't any reason to mess with the winning formula which is soccer only at BMO Field.

They will try to mess with it simply because this soccer thing is getting out of hand.

There is this crowd that will fight us for some crazy reason. This field cannot stay as a soccer only stadium and the popularity to increase it seems. I do remember wen we had the Robbie finals on TV,with the field full of lines. It was such an annoyance and being natural grass that lime burned these lines into the field. The results was the ball taking some crazy bounces when hitting the line or in fact that little valley.I totally agree that we must fight this proposal and ensure that we have our own field and it stays that way.

Heck why not get a second MLS team in town and play every Sunday.

This is nothing new and happens all the time in Europe.

BTW I just watched the Reporters on TSN and not a word about soccer and all about that guy Fart from Greenbay as well as Wie and some CFL stuff,but again not a word about soccer.

We are still not accepted and even recognized and that is the problem.Screw TSN and those reporters. Hence men.

quote:Originally posted by snake

bmo was built with mostly public money

if the govermant says that the argo's can play in bmo

then tfc will have to udjust to football lines on the pitch

sorry

Do you know where the other money came from? Starts with an M.... so you think they would not have a say in what happens there?

Most major sports facilities in Canada were built with public funds. I love when guys like Toth rip soccer for having a stadium built for them, yet it happens for every CFL, MLB and MOST NHL teams. MLSE built the Air Canada Centre and, I would hope if it came to the Argos moving in, they would buy out BMO as well.

The Argos will have to pay for the renovations for football, though, and that's not gonna be cheap.

Not only that, but they're the dorks that backed out of the plan for a new Varsity Stadium for soccer and football at York University. And now that someone else fronted the cash to build BMO Field, suddenly they want in.

The thing is, if TFC continues to be a success at the box office, MLSE will want to expand the capacity of the stadium eventually. When that happens, city council and the Argos will get involved claiming that renovations are being made anyways, why not include them?

That is my prediction.

The Argo's and it's management acted as superior and ignorant human beings at all these media conferences when the building of a stadium was being discussed. They never came to the table with a sound proposal and seemed to wait for the money to come in and than make their move.They were there but never said one word at any time.

It seems that they are making their move now,I don't even know if they were capable of speaking at these I remember about five media conferences.It were the soccer guys who made it all happen,they were the movers and shakers.The big selling point was the u-20 WC The Argo guys were eating it up and did sweet f. all at any time.Extremely Argovating.

I realized that to appease the political powers to be the Argo's had to be part of the plan,but never at any time did I ever leave with the believe and knowledge that they were part of the whole picture.I am so glad that it developed the way it did and also believe very strongly that football and soccer fields don't mix. It is a lined abortion.

What rights do they have to call it football anyway. Still have not figured that one out. Who's idea was to steal our name.What has their name to do with football?

TFC fans should buy the stadium if they arents happy. it is the awful reality of sports franchises in toronto, they are all owned by a teachers' fund while the jays are owned by rogers and they dont seem to really care win or loss; its about the monayyyyyyyy. I personnaly dont think its a good idea for the argos to move to BMO field cuz of the large endzones in canadian football and the larger/longer field; the stands will be much further from the pitch and the atmosphere wont be as good

There is no atmosphere at football ,baseball or even hockey games. Why do you think the media is so anti soccer. We have an atmosphere that simply does no exist in these sports. How could you scream,sing and have fun while the announcer tries to sell or even talk about the innings,strikes etc. In football the qback would go crazy with our fans. The poor guy will commit you know what. Soccer is a sport that is a non NA sport for those reasons. It is a non selling game and a sport that does not fit the NA scene. We will change that and drive these promoters crazy, Soccer comes first and all the other bs second. Come on it is indeed time for a change. And soccer still and always will out sell any sport in any area.Hey marketing guys it is just a matter of finding out how it is being done.For starters look at all these TFC shirts in the stands.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

CFL commish Mark Cohon keeps saying that BMO field was supposed to be built to accomodate a CFL field.... Translated it means the Argo owners thought they could just back out and have the stadium built for free and then just move in when it's built without any problems.

Agreed. They had their chance. The paperwork was drawn up and just waiting for the final signatures. They were THAT close. Guess they didn't see MLS coming down the pipe.

I honestly believe round ball football in Canada is the greatest threat to pointy ball football in Canada. Over the long term I believe that to be absolutely true and I'm sure the Argos brain trust is regretting ever having left the door open for MLS to come to Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by snake

bmo was built with mostly public money

if the govermant says that the argo's can play in bmo

then tfc will have to udjust to football lines on the pitch

sorry

(sigh) The lines will be washed off the field just as they are at Skydome now. It's not perfect but it's not bad. It certainly will be better than in Salt Lake and New Jersey.

I just don't want to see the governments kicking in much money for an expansion. The Argos will have to contribute to make this thing happen.

The sad thing will be forever being saddled with artificial grass.

Why is it that soccer for some reason is never allowed to be on their own. The baseball diamonds are a disaster,this football crap, we don't deserve and this treatment is ridiculous as well.You can't enjoy a soccer game with these crazy lines. Everytime i see this crap I realize we are second class citizens and we don't matter. We demand a soccer only stadium. They have their $ 400 million elephant and for free. What more do you want, maybe all our TFC fans to liven up that joint.

Leave soccer alone, we deserve it we proved it and we demand it.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Why is it that soccer for some reason is never allowed to be on their own. The baseball diamonds are a disaster,this football crap, we don't deserve and this treatment is ridiculous as well.You can't enjoy a soccer game with these crazy lines. Everytime i see this crap I realize we are second class citizens and we don't matter. We demand a soccer only stadium. They have their $ 400 million elephant and for free. What more do you want, maybe all our TFC fans to liven up that joint.

Leave soccer alone, we deserve it we proved it and we demand it.

I don't know if anybody here would disagree with anything you have just written.

BTW, if you feel like being angry, check out Mike Toth at Sportsnet ripping into "FC" fans for not wanting the Argos at BMO. Here is a thread at RPB on the subject.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=121371#post121371

Toronto pointy ball fans are wimps...they aren't going to want to sit outdoors in 10 below weather (or worse), freezing their cajones off to follow their team.

In my opinion, the Argos are staying at warm, toasty and atmosphere devoid Skydome.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Agreed. They had their chance. The paperwork was drawn up and just waiting for the final signatures. They were THAT close. Guess they didn't see MLS coming down the pipe.

I honestly believe round ball football in Canada is the greatest threat to pointy ball football in Canada. Over the long term I believe that to be absolutely true and I'm sure the Argos brain trust is regretting ever having left the door open for MLS to come to Toronto.

I think you have that back to front. MLS expansion was very much on the agenda with the York Stadium deal to the extent that Don Garber referred to it as a "slam dunk" a couple of weeks before the Argos pulled out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32575-2005Apr6.html

Mike Toth is now earning a real reputation of being a soccer basher. This guy is a real jerk...He has a real big mouth...He reminds me of Pat Marsden of CFTO during the early 1980s when he went on Dale Barnes' TV soccer show in Toronto. On Barnes show, Marsden started to bash soccer so bad that Barnes really put him at his place...This took place live on the air.

Mike Toth is a real Prairie blowhard CFL dude...He's going to realize that his big mouth is going to get him into serious problems either in BC or in Eastern Canada, where soccer is really popular in these parts of the country. Pat Marsden learned the hard way...

The media in Canada is freaked out about Soccer getting big. It means they have to actually learn the game. Most of the twits in the sports media in this country know football and hockey...and THAT'S IT. This is why we get stuck with the Gerry Dobson's of the world covering our sport.

By the way...what the hell is wrong with SkyDome? it's just fine for the CFL.

Hey Boomer you are so right and yes these media guys are going to have a good look in the mirror and say,I have to learn all about soccer or else.Gerry Dobson is a soccer fanatic and the best thing that has ever happened in the media and CTV,CFTO and Rogers Sports Network in particular. So don't include him. I have numerous examples of his total devotion and caring for our Canadian game and as I said the best thing that ever happened in the media for Canadian soccer.

I don't know who this Toth is, I guess I am out of the loop,thanks god. Well I presume that him and McGowan are the best of friends and probably enjoy giving us all these fits. But I also know that our fans are so real and such a natural and that these fans all have a very Canadian accent. I have preached so many times on the V boards I maybe considered a lunatic.But this fight is not over and only starting, now that the battle lines are being drawn.

We have the fans,we have the enthusiasm have the place and we have whole teams of supporters that don't exist in any other major sport.

I hate as hell to have to go to a leaf game and listen to the non existing fans and wondering what it would be like if there were these TFC fans in the stands. I can't see myself at an Argo or Blue Jay game so that is out.This is comparing apples to apples but in fact it is not.Totally different crowd,purpose and pleasure. I can never ever remember going to a bar which is the meeting place for any of these other sports. They don't exist. We are a real new phenomena and these media guys better get used to these throngs of fans,all these many thousands of red shirts.flags and songs. boy they must really hate us,upsetting their cozy clicky applecart.

Good luck Toth and MCgowan and others,the writing is on the wall.

I'm a bit curious -- has anything substantial actually happened recently to suggest that the Argos may try moving to BMO Field? The idea is obvious getting play (protests at MLS All-Star Game, Toth bringing it up) but has anyone associated with the Argos, the CFL, the MLS or MLSE actually said that this is getting closer to being reality? Or are soccer fans just howling at the moon over a perceived threat?

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an Argos fan and season ticket holder, but I also believe BMO Field is better off remaining a SSS.

Archived