Buy our own Football Team!

fishman

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

guys this is really getting no where. unless we step up and start getting things done, this project is going to do down the pipe. 100-300 K range??? theres around 20 members on the board that have shown interest, not there yet. Lets get the website up and running, have a vote open for ten days on what league...CSL, PDL, PCSL or NASL.

I agree that it has been somewhat stalled out for a while. I started a forum a while back at http://oursoccerclub.proboards85.com/ with the idea of forming groups to research individual cities and organizing the discussion but got almost no response there. Don't know if that means people just want to continue to discuss it conceptually and invest their money once the work is done or if there are different ideas about the first steps needed.

If the consensus is group meetings in larger cities I think that would be an excellent place to start as well - perhaps one afternoon on of a long weekend in august/sept.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

re: USL1 - even if we raised 300,000 - how would we continue to pay players and other expenses?

The same way any other team does...through ticket sales, sponsorship, advertising, training camps, concessions, merch etc....

maybe even a player sale or two...

We would at least have the benefit of annual membership contributions.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

re: a Prairie CSL .... BRILLIANT. It sounds like we'd be running an MLS-type league in that the league would manage each team???

I know this was my idea....but if we are to truly impact the development of the game in Canada this would seem to be the most obvious one. Sure, it's a fairly lofty goal, but what we'd need to do is develop a model to attact existing youth/amateur sides in the region on board.

No franchise fees....so there's $50-$125k we can use stregith away to boost the league, buy existing teams if need be (or perhaps a percentage ownership) and/or contribute to transitioning teams from amateur to semi-pro.

I've been crunching some numbers and gathering info on what would be a Prarie League CSL/PCSL equivalent. The biggest concern I see is travel....

Calgary to Winnipeg is 825 each way.

Calgary to Saskatoon is 384 each way.

Still, the more I think about it the better I think this overall idea is.

Think about this....

As the league, we could CHARGE franchise fees for teams from the region looking to step up to semi-pro. All would help. More over, so long as we could secure some sponsorship - preferably a title sponsor for the league, any contributing sponsor would also be able to write off their contributions as tax deducatible so long as we kept the league as a non-profit organization. That would be a big incentive to potential sponsors and advertisers.

For a prairie league, we'd need buses, not airfare. One bus for Alberta, one for Saskatchewan, one for Manitoba.

For Alberta, assuming Calgary plays at home, Edmonton plays away and would use the bus. The following week, with Edmonton playing at home, Calgary would use the bus. Much cheaper.

I think we would be going about this backwards if we try to figure out how much money we will have and then decide what to do team and league wise. I feel someone should make a site, explain the GOAL of it. Then people can commit or not based on that(not pay but commit...like sign up to be a member and when we have reached the amount we need, then we ask for the money). If some people don't want to because they think it's too vague or they don't like the direction that is fine, but we need to do that to move forward IMO.

This is page 9 and we are no further along.

Having said that I like the Prairie league idea. We could set up the first 4 teams and have a modest franchise fee for new ones joining. Who knows maybe the Prince George investor in the CMISL would be interested in getting involved, maybe the Victoria Highlanders FC would join, we could throw a team or two in the Okanagan or further up the the Fraser Valley and have another divisional cluster. That's the kind of potential and impact this venture could have (could have I know, lofty goals). In a sense, by signing on membership we are already building a fan base for the league. By the way, I know that by liking the mini-league idea I am losing credibility with some of you but you really only thought I was credible before because you just didn't know me well enough.

i know i have stated the web page requirement asap stating the desired options and offering membership. however, all i am able to offer are opinions as i have no desire to run a web page....so what is my suggestion worth? about as much as you guys accept it!

victoria, okanagan, and chilliwack (upper fraser valley) are all heavily involved already in PCSL etc etc.

A 4-6 team league set-up in the PDL in the Prairies would be great! Or even a Prairie 4-6 team league outside of the PDL. Adding just one PDL team would be a great start to an existing league though is also a fantastic idea.

Look: For this to go anywhere, a very small committee needs to be created. Why don't we have some of you raise your hand as volunteers to run the web page, collect the ideas, and set-up the voting system. The V's can then go ahead and vote for the one person, or group of people to go ahead and do those things I've just mentioned? As you can see, this idea has stalled!

I am sorry, but I simply don't have the time or interest to do these things.

long time lurker..first post..but this topic interests me.

there is a big buzz around canadian soccer at this time. maybe a flyer/leaflet/banner or something should making it to the WCQ's coming up. I think you have a chance of a lot of people checking out a site (if it is up and has a clear message) if you start promoting it. maybe a list of what you have so far..1) an idea 2) a URL 3) a handful of names

is enough to get started. pick a date, put together the small committee as mentioned above and see what happens.

What about trying to get a poster boy involved? The obvious candidate would be JDG, or perhaps Stalteri or Radz. All three are high profile, big earners who have been around long enough to make enough money. I'm not suggesting for a minute that they pony up a huge amount of cash, in fact no more than anyone else, but that they might agree to help promote the site and the cause? JDG in particular seems to have a real interest in grass-roots here, and all things Canadian soccer related.

Nothing like a senior nats player to add credibiity to our cause?

This is really going nowhere fast guys.

I won't harp on again about having initial localised meetings, but I still think we should!

In the meantime, I'm prepared to step forward and volunteer to help run the website. VPjr registered www.oursoccerclub.ca over a month ago now. I'm tied up with a revamp of my own site till about mid July (maybe sooner) if anyone else wants to come forward and do it before that. If not, I'm happy to get something going from then.

I am happy to contribute marketing, sponsorship and promotional ideas/planning given that falls within my professional domain. I also have quite a lot of contract building through my recently started (though currently neglected site) www.canucks-abroad.com

I am, however, in Kentucky...so will not be around for any localised meetings unless you know of any others down here who might be interested!

quote:Originally posted by GoF

This is really going nowhere fast guys.

I won't harp on again about having initial localised meetings, but I still think we should!

In the meantime, I'm prepared to step forward and volunteer to help run the website. VPjr registered www.oursoccerclub.ca over a month ago now. I'm tied up with a revamp of my own site till about mid July (maybe sooner) if anyone else wants to come forward and do it before that. If not, I'm happy to get something going from then.

Right now, I'm overwhelmed with work and other responsibilities so if someone wants to get the ball rolling on the website, mission statement, etc... I'm more than happy to hand over all the paperwork involved with the registration of the website so that we can get something up and running.

I'll be in a better position to become very actively involved in the fall (September/October).

Financially, I'm ready to hand over whatever money is needed to buy shares/memberships right now. I've also got a mailing list that I've built over the past year that might be useful for doing mass mailings to publicize this program.

I can be contacted by email. My email address is attached to my profile

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

I have really been turned away from this the more it is dicussed. We went from a team in an semi-pro league to a league of ameutur clubs. Not what i planned on

I don't see anyone suggesting a league of amateur sides...the league suggestion was an entire semi-pro league along the lines of the CSL.

But all the more reason for everyone to get on the same page on this.

I'm hoping to have time tonight/tomorrow to offer two threads which can hopefully be stickied and offer everyone a chance to 'put up or shut up' so to speak.

The first thread would be for a PDL team in Calgary. The second would be a Prairie league with primary teams in Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina and Winnipeg. Secondary teams would be needed to make it viable with possible markets in Brandon, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, Lethbridge, and Red Deer.

Pros and cons of each idea, as well as specific markets can be discussed there, but this will hopefully give this a kick start and chance for people to voice their financial preference.

I would like to offer my help. I have some time to work on a mission statement, business plan for a pdl team and a constitution. If anyone has any ideas, please e-mail me. My email is in my profile. Just make the subject line Soccer.

I think our first thread should be pdl or csl and the second thread where. It would be hard enough to start a team, let alone a league. One team at a time.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Marc

Agreed. Stay clear of the Golden Horshoe, it is oversaturated. Hamilton et al may look good due to high absolute population figures but between the TFC academy, CSL, Lynx, private academies, local soccer clubs (rep players looking for NCAA scholarships) and high-end local amateur teams the pool will be thin thin thin.

Though I am ravingly biased, I wholeheartedly agree with this. Hamilton/souther Ontario will (somehow) persevere with the cluster of variety. The prairies are largely under-represented. Calgary makes the most sense demographically, but without doing any feasiblilty, I may as well be making crap up.

My only concern (and please don't misconstrue this as an attack, but said out of lack of knowledge) is that is there an "untapped pool of talent" to, say, rival the calibre of CSL/PCSL/PDL? Selling a quality game is important.

I only mention it because, as a soccer supporter, I have no problem parting my money to watch this level. If the CSL was much lower in quality, I don't know if I could stomach it, and I've watched London City play (old habits...) :)

Otherwise, I am thrilled with this whole concept and that people are stepping up and I would happy to be a part of it however. I just wish the country was smaller... :)

quote:Originally posted by River City

I'm hoping to have time tonight/tomorrow to offer two threads which can hopefully be stickied and offer everyone a chance to 'put up or shut up' so to speak.

The first thread would be for a PDL team in Calgary. The second would be a Prairie league with primary teams in Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina and Winnipeg. Secondary teams would be needed to make it viable with possible markets in Brandon, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, Lethbridge, and Red Deer.

Pros and cons of each idea, as well as specific markets can be discussed there, but this will hopefully give this a kick start and chance for people to voice their financial preference.

The two threads are up although I can't figure out a way to separate the numbers into nice columns.

The PDL numbers come directly from the USL Franchise Package, while the Prairie League numbers were modified from the USL numbers.

I believe the USL numbers are skewed as I the potential losses are far greater than what they claim. As for the Prairie League numbers, I kept them bare bones on expenses and based the revenues on 100 people per game. With hot beer tub girls, and a hooligan friendly atmosphere, those numbers would increase.

• 2 weeks later...

So, has this discussion been moved to another website, or has it just died completely?

Let me try a revival. On the Impact/Whitecaps/USL1 forum is an active thread debating the merits of putting a USL1 team in Hamilton. CSL and USL2 are also discussed.

In the thread, I point out that MacMaster has just built a new stadium (Ronald v Joyce Stadium) with great locker rooms, media room, injury clinic and underground parking beneath the field. Wikipedia lists capacity at 6k, with space on the other side for a temporary stand to double it to 12K - good for international matches and friendlies/Voyageur Cup against TFC. More reliable sources (the builders) say 5400 consisting of luxury club seats in middle, regular seats beside that and benches at the sides.

Before, the options for Hamilton were either Ivor Wynne (too big), or Brian Timmis (probably too small), so this new 5400 seater that can expand to ~12K for games against TFC looks like the Goldylocks stadium to me. Ok, check out the other thread, research the Ronald v Joyce stadium and Hamilton market, and see if we can rekindle a discussion here about putting a USL1 (or USL2/CSL if we can't afford USL1) team into Hamilton.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hate to ressurect this fun topic, but yeah, well....

Anyone actually interested in participating in either an Edmonton or a Calgary team, rather than just debating (no more armchair quarterbacks needed), please look for me on facebook - Sergio Teixeira - I have a picture of my son as my profile pic.

Archived