Buy our own Football Team!

fishman

If we went with a PDL side, Hamilton and Ottawa are rulled out as Hamilton has a W-League team and the Lynx have the USL rights in the area. Ottawa has the Fury with teams at all levels but USL1/2. Kingston might be the only town in the ontario right for a PDL team. Has anyone contacted the United Soccer League about fees ect.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not in a position to invest (at least not until I graduate and enter the workforce in a few years), but as this gets a little further off the ground I'd love to help publicize the cause in the media. I write a bit on Canadian soccer in magazines and online and could help drive traffic to the site with a series of features on "Our Soccer Club Canada".

quote:Originally posted by River City

CSL

Opportunity to develop future Canadian players is low.

If it's good enough for TFC Academy...

What I meant on my comment regarding the CSL, is that there are enough clubs in that league/market doing the job of developing talent. Our participation in that league wouldn't result in a noticeable difference in the player pool.

I'm looking at this from an opportunity cost pov. Spending $100,000 in Ontario won't have the same impact as spending $100,000 in the Maritimes. And if our objective is developing Canadian talent, we have to see where we can have the most impact.

Just a thought, but what about trying to locate based on where there is a large pool of underserved talent? Alberta springs to mind quite quickly in this regard. Realistically, the team we have will be largely regional unless we are paying a higher wage than we are considering at the moment. So locating where the talent is seems to make sense.

I also think anything less than PDL is a waste. Although promotion may not be automatic, it will be easier, especially if the team proves viable and competitive.

Given the right business model, I would be in.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Just a thought, but what about trying to locate based on where there is a large pool of underserved talent? Alberta springs to mind quite quickly in this regard. Realistically, the team we have will be largely regional unless we are paying a higher wage than we are considering at the moment. So locating where the talent is seems to make sense.

I also think anything less than PDL is a waste. Although promotion may not be automatic, it will be easier, especially if the team proves viable and competitive.

Even though I am a Hamilton-Niagara guy, I agree with Gordon about the location. We need SOMETHING in the prairies.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Agreed. Stay clear of the Golden Horshoe, it is oversaturated. Hamilton et al may look good due to high absolute population figures but between the TFC academy, CSL, Lynx, private academies, local soccer clubs (rep players looking for NCAA scholarships) and high-end local amateur teams the pool will be thin thin thin.

sorry to intrude on something I'm not really planning on investing in, but wouldn't it be more prudent to approach varying cities gov't and see if they would be willing to contribute or accomadate? Making a list of canidate cities and seeing their stance on a possible team could let you guys make more informed choices.

Producing Canadian talent is a obvious goal for the team. However, for this to work it must be run with without lossing money. How woud a team in the middle of Canada or out in Halifax survive with the travel cost? I don't like the fact because I would personaly love a team in an untapped part of Canada but it would not work.

Ted - I'm still not convinced that being in the PDL helps us move up. I can't recall any examples of USL teams moving up, only down. If their franchises fees continue to go up, well at least it would be a solid investment.

NPSL - okay, consensus is this is a bad idea. It's not a regional league...it's all over the US, but I agree. If we were to establish an entire conference as would likely b required, why not just take an extra step and start our own small league (and pursue a Memorial Cup kind of set-up with the CSL and NPSL as I suggested?) The NPSL is done IMO, but I don't really see the PDL as helping us that much more.

PDL - I just don't see what extra the PDL brings us over either the (pointless) NPSL or the CSL? It's also probably the most expense option, and an amateur level.

CSL - mixed views it seems on this. I think Scott makes a great point - if it's good enough for TFC to groom talent, why not us? Also, if we were to successfully move up it would also provide a ready-made farm team and pipeline in our 'system' (or could sell as soccer continues to raise it's profile). I think the CSL makes the most sense overalla, for now, with a goal of moving to USL D1 when the opportunity presents itself (Montreal to MLS?) I think Hamilton, or even more so, Ottawa makes the most sense for a CSL side while giving a logical location relative to other team, thus keeping franchise fees down. TFC Academy has shown players inthe CSL can be sought at no cost if the relationship is there with potential to move up. With bother Montreal and Toronto having presence in the CSL that says a lot to me. We could perhaps seek ties with Vancouver?

USL 2 - All i see for USL 2 is a CSL type standard of play, with semi-pro costs, with considerably more travel expense. It's essentially based in the Eastern part of the US, but there's always that Bermudan side to bump the costs up (how were they ever approved in?) Positives of the USL 2 - it's good enough for the Bermudan national team (hardly a high bar) and also Crystal Palace from England.

USL 1 - It would take a HERCULEAN effort, and a huge response from the soccer community for us to reach this out right at the first attempt. Does that mean we should discount it? I don't think so...why not draw up a mission statement that will decide where we pitch in based upon the response? Taht way we could say...Our first goal is (eg) CSL. We need to raise $100,000 to start that. Subsequently, if fund raising reaches $300,000 we will look to enter at the USL 1 level. We should have cities in mind for each.

So far, no one I've noticed has commented on my idea of different levels of membership? Level 1 (annual member for $x, say $50-$100) and Level 2 ($1000+, but with reduced annual dues). I think all members, regardless, should have an equal vote.

Ted - I'm still not convinced that being in the PDL helps us move up. I can't recall any examples of USL teams moving up, only down. If their franchises fees continue to go up, well at least it would be a solid investment.

NPSL - okay, consensus is this is a bad idea. It's not a regional league...it's all over the US, but I agree. If we were to establish an entire conference as would likely b required, why not just take an extra step and start our own small league (and pursue a Memorial Cup kind of set-up with the CSL and NPSL as I suggested?) The NPSL is done IMO, but I don't really see the PDL as helping us that much more.

PDL - I just don't see what extra the PDL brings us over either the (pointless) NPSL or the CSL? It's also probably the most expense option, and an amateur level.

CSL - mixed views it seems on this. I think Scott makes a great point - if it's good enough for TFC to groom talent, why not us? Also, if we were to successfully move up it would also provide a ready-made farm team and pipeline in our 'system' (or could sell as soccer continues to raise it's profile). I think the CSL makes the most sense overalla, for now, with a goal of moving to USL D1 when the opportunity presents itself (Montreal to MLS?) I think Hamilton, or even more so, Ottawa makes the most sense for a CSL side while giving a logical location relative to other team, thus keeping franchise fees down. TFC Academy has shown players inthe CSL can be sought at no cost if the relationship is there with potential to move up. With bother Montreal and Toronto having presence in the CSL that says a lot to me. We could perhaps seek ties with Vancouver?

USL 2 - All i see for USL 2 is a CSL type standard of play, with semi-pro costs, with considerably more travel expense. It's essentially based in the Eastern part of the US, but there's always that Bermudan side to bump the costs up (how were they ever approved in?) Positives of the USL 2 - it's good enough for the Bermudan national team (hardly a high bar) and also Crystal Palace from England.

USL 1 - It would take a HERCULEAN effort, and a huge response from the soccer community for us to reach this out right at the first attempt. Does that mean we should discount it? I don't think so...why not draw up a mission statement that will decide where we pitch in based upon the response? Taht way we could say...Our first goal is (eg) CSL. We need to raise $100,000 to start that. Subsequently, if fund raising reaches $300,000 we will look to enter at the USL 1 level. We should have cities in mind for each.

So far, no one I've noticed has commented on my idea of different levels of membership? Level 1 (annual member for $x, say $50-$100) and Level 2 ($1000+, but with reduced annual dues). I think all members, regardless, should have an equal vote.

Oooohhh....good news for Edmonton....Clarke Stadium with 10,000 seats by 2015

City gets Canada's bid for university games; Improvements to stadium, Clarke Park touted

Publication: The Edmonton Journal

Date: Thu 12 Jun 2008

Byline: Gordon Kent

EDMONTON - Edmonton must now wait to find out whether it will receive federal support after being chosen Wednesday as the Canadian bidder for the 2015 Summer World University Games.

The event, expected to attract 10,000 athletes, coaches and team officials from 175 countries, has a proposed budget of $255 million, said Mike Mahon, dean of the University of Alberta's Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, at a news conference.

While Edmonton was chosen over Quebec City by Canadian Interuniversity Sport, it still needs approval and funding commitments from Sport Canada, which is also mulling over Toronto's pitch to hold the 2015 Pan-American Games, Mahon said.

"It's something we're going to have to work with the federal government on. (Toronto) is doing a feasibility study, we have been awarded a right to bid ... we think we're in a different situation."

Edmonton hosted the games in 1983. The latest scheme includes construction of a new 53-metre swimming pool at the Kinsmen Sports Centre, a field house at the U of A's south campus, boosting Clarke Park to 10,000 seats and upgrading Commonwealth Stadium.

A four-member selection team from Canadian Interuniversity Sport visited Edmonton last month to learn more about the local bid and visit the sports, cultural and housing facilities, including a helicopter tour of the sites.

City manager Al Maurer said hosting Universiade would allow Edmonton to improve its sporting and cultural facilities and add affordable housing.

"You have to plan many years in advance for these events. We have to compete in the world market ... it's very important for the image of the city."

This bid doesn't affect Edmonton's intention to pursue the 2017 World's Fair, he said.

The city and the U of A have paid most of the $200,000 spent chasing the games so far, Mahon said, and the next phase will probably cost about $500,000.

Three sites, including ones in South Korea and Germany, are also thought to be currently in the running, but Mahon thinks Canada could have a good shot at being selected.

"One of our real strengths is the Universiade hasn't been in North America since 1994. I believe we're a continent FISU (the Federation Internationale du Sport Universitaire) would really like to come back to. They have spent a fair amount of time in Europe and Asia."

The federation is scheduled to choose the games host city next June.

We need to raise $100,000 to start that. Subsequently, if fund raising reaches $300,000 we will look to enter at the USL 1 level. We should have cities in mind for each.

The problem with that idea is that if we say we are raising funds for the CSL and then we raise more money and we go for US1, who decides whether we go for US1, has the money been collected? Maybe some people would not want to invest in the US1 but were all for the more modest approach of the CSL. We have already seen signs of people willing to invest in one way, but not the other. We will likely have to lose some to begin with if we don't define what are "basic" plan is.

For the record I like the mini-league/division idea. Aim bigger I say. 4 or 5 teams on the prairies play each other twice and then some out of conference games both home and away that count on their record. I betcha the CSL would love to a part of this and we wouldn't be dropping an expansion fee per team. We could even probably do a merger down the road. Lofty goals? I suppose, but in a matter of two days there was some $25,000 committed to the concept here, just think what will happen when we let the greater public know about it. Especially if we do it in the Prairies where there is a lot of money right now.

I shouldn't have said so much this time. I think people actually respected what I had to say last time....when will I learn to keep my big mouth shut!!!!

re: USL1 - even if we raised 300,000 - how would we continue to pay players and other expenses?

re: a Prairie CSL .... BRILLIANT. It sounds like we'd be running an MLS-type league in that the league would manage each team???

A committee needs to be put together so that true voting can begin, a basic plan can be written up rather than trying to keep up on this thread.

I know a lot of people don't consider arena soccer true soccer and I respect their views but with the MISL disolving and the CMISL having problems in Winnipeg would others on this project consider it?

Pros: Low cost, Canadian, winter season (players are available), low travel.

Cons: Winter season competes with hockey, low profile, limited number of teams, not considered real soccer by some. Poor attendance.

A team in Regina would be rivals with Saskatoon and close to the 2 Alberta teams so bus trips would suffice.

I don't know the costs but I think if we are looking at 100K to 300K as a total budget then it could be the best alternative. I don't see any franchise fee being demanded by the other 3 who would probably like to see something more stable than Winnipeg.

Yes I am biased, I like the arena game. The quick change of direction, the sprinting, on the fly changes. For me it is a very close second to the outdoor classic and much more fun to watch than the futsal version.

Just an idea.

quote:Originally posted by River City

How many great indoor players are great outdoor players?

Valid point but I thought the arena game met several criteria such as it is a pro league, we could employ/develop soccer players who wouldn't get a start at outdoor teams and it is within our apparent budget.

Personally I'd like USL1 but that seems to be out of our reach financially unless we can strike a deal and partner with a club. The Whitecaps have said they want to keep a USL1 team going even after they go to MLS.

Our budget appears to be in the 100-300 thousand range. At that we can do a PDL or CMISL team at the high end.

whitecaps want an MLS and USL1!?!?! Wow, imagine the development possibilities - they'd quickly become one of the top premier teams in the western hemisphere, certainly out of Canada, US, and Mexico.

We must go for PDL. Establish, and then try to expand into Y League, PCSL, maybe Vancouver Metro League? etc.

guys this is really getting no where. unless we step up and start getting things done, this project is going to do down the pipe. 100-300 K range??? theres around 20 members on the board that have shown interest, not there yet. Lets get the website up and running, have a vote open for ten days on what league...CSL, PDL, PCSL or NASL.

Archived