MLS rules benefit Toronto FC

nolando

What with this particular change mean for the makeup of TFC for next season, I wonder?

MLS rules benefit Toronto FC

December 18, 2007

NEW YORK (Ticker) - Toronto FC has been given additional roster flexibility under the new competition rules announced by Major League Soccer on Tuesday.

The league has redrawn its international players system, scrapping the distinction between senior and youth players, and adding slots for all teams.

Toronto FC has again been given more slots than the rest of the league, a recognition of Canada's smaller talent pool which limits the club when it is seeking to sign domestic players.

Under the rules for the 2007 season, each team was allowed to have four senior internationals and three youth internationals on the roster. Toronto was given a exception, with seven senior slots and five youth slots.

Tuesday's announcement will see all MLS clubs given one extra slot for an international player, while Toronto's allocation will increase by two, although it will only be able to use the extra spots on American players.

MLS also confirmed Tuesday that, as expected, Los Angeles' Landon Donovan, Kansas City's Eddie Johnson and FC Dallas' Carlos Ruiz will not be considered designated players in 2008.

When the designated player rule was introduced last offseason, the high-salaried trio was "grandfathered", meaning their clubs did not need to use a DP slot to retain them.

After reviewing the arrangement, MLS has decided they will remain non-DP players, although the clubs must assume responsibility for the remainder of their salaries above the league maximum of $400,000.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Chet

Of course Canada has a smaller talent pool, but there are fewer teams competing for those players. Does the U.S. really have more than 12 times as many soccer players?

Actually comparing registered player numbers the Americans have more about 18 - 20 times as many players...

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

So whats the damage? Would someone who does the math tell me how many Canadians "have" to start for TFC next year.

Actually none. Teams can now trade senior international slots so it would be feasible to field an entirely non-Canadian (or American for that matter) team. Highly unlikely and impractical economically due to the salary cap but a possibility...

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Actually none. Teams can now trade senior international slots so it would be feasible to field an entirely non-Canadian (or American for that matter) team. Highly unlikely and impractical economically due to the salary cap but a possibility...

That is what I was thinking...the number would be the same. The only difference is that the "7" is now permanent - subject to review of course - whereas previously it was to decline over time.

TFC right now has 11 'Foreign' spots

8 Intenational Spots

2 American Spots

Plus one international spot which they picked up in a trade from another team (Colorado, I do believe)

Thus the entire starting 11 may be foreign

Considering the 18 Man senior roster that means a realistic minimum of 7 Cannucks + those on the development roster.

Still not fully clear what is going on, in my opinion. As things stood TFC were entitled to 4 SIs and 6 YIs (2 extra for being a recent expansion team through 2008 and 1 extra based on a trade with Colorado involving Jose Cancela through 2009) next season plus 3 additional SI Americans. Adding an extra SI across the board to all MLS teams plus two additional American SIs to TFC, therefore, could mean 16 international players allowed out of 28 including 5 that have to be Americans. Worth noting, Ivan Gazidis recently told the FAN 590's Soccer Show that TFC would have "almost unrestricted" use of American players in senior roster terms in 2008.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Still not fully clear what is going on, in my opinion. As things stood TFC were entitled to 4 SIs and 6 YIs (2 extra for being a recent expansion team through 2008 and 1 extra based on a trade with Colorado involving Jose Cancela through 2009) next season plus 3 additional SI Americans. Adding an extra SI across the board to all MLS teams plus two additional American SIs to TFC, therefore, could mean 16 international players allowed out of 28 including 5 that have to be Americans. Worth noting, Ivan Gazidis recently told the FAN 590's Soccer Show that TFC would have "almost unrestricted" use of American players in senior roster terms in 2008.

No such thing as Youth Internationals anymore (in MLS talk anyways) so I'm thinking that while 16 might be high by the time Trader MO is done it will be close...

This rule which states that TFC can have 2 additional international players but only if they're American, is that legal?

Unless Canadians are afforded similar opportunities with the US based teams I don't think that rule (as well meaning as it's intended) would stand up to Canadian labour law.

That has already been the setup with three SI roster spots this past season so I don't think five instead of three subject to review in 2009 makes any difference from that standpoint. Here is the actual MLS press release:-

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20071218&content_id=133401&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

During the 2007 season, teams were allotted seven international spots per team, four Senior International and three Youth International slots, with the exception of Toronto FC who were awarded seven Senior International slots (three of which could be used only on domestic US players) and five Youth slots. Each team has been awarded one additional international player slot, the distinction between Youth International and Senior International has been removed and all international player slots will be tradable. Toronto FC has been awarded two additional international player slots, which they may use only on domestic U.S. players.

• Toronto FC Roster. In addition to the additional international player slot noted above, Toronto FC shall receive two (2) additional international slots that may only be used on domestic U.S. players. These slots shall be in effect for two (2) seasons and will be reviewed at the end of the 2009 MLS League Season.

I think the total number of imports becomes 11.

8 - International spots allocated

2 - American spots given

1 - Internation spot that was given to TFC in the Jose Cancela trade last year, assume it's staying. All the other spots that we had would be wiped clean.

Now this could actually get worse if you believe Ives in todays column. He noted that some teams like KC and the crew have trouble filling the international spots, so they might put them up on the block.

Also, even though there are 18 regular roster spots (leaving room for 7 Canadians in addition to the internationals) Mo Johnston didn't fill them all last year. So not looking very good right now.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

I think the total number of imports becomes 11.

8 - International spots allocated

2 - American spots given

1 - Internation spot that was given to TFC in the Jose Cancela trade last year, assume it's staying. All the other spots that we had would be wiped clean.

Now this could actually get worse if you believe Ives in todays column. He noted that some teams like KC and the crew have trouble filling the international spots, so they might put them up on the block.

Also, even though there are 18 regular roster spots (leaving room for 7 Canadians in addition to the internationals) Mo Johnston didn't fill them all last year. So not looking very good right now.

Last year was 12,how 11 next year is helping TFC?

I think it will be 14 or 15 if MLS wants to help TFC.

Team America Reborn In Toronto

Written by Bill Ault

Wednesday, 19 December 2007

Expect Toronto FC to add a star to their jersey in 2008 and perhaps a hit of blue striping as well. The star emblematic around the world of championships won will in this case not be reflections of achievement on the field but along with the hint of blue a nod to the Americanization of Canada’s only Major League Soccer side.

http://tinyurl.com/2s4umn

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

Last year was 12,how 11 next year is helping TFC?

I think it will be 14 or 15 if MLS wants to help TFC.

5 of the spots were for "youth internationals", playes under 25. It might not mean much, but it's the difference between keeping Andy Boyens this year, and it's the difference between getting someone competent or Andy Welsh. Of course, TFC had success with some of the YI's like Edu and Wynne...but not all teams have had success with YI's.

Let's see how Mo plays his hand, but i'm not holding my breath...

Bill,

Unless you know something that I don't (which is possible) Jon Busch has not joined TFC. I do think that Mo will pursue a foreign goalkeeper with Kenny leaving the club. Apparently Tromso wanted more than the transfer fee that TFC was willing to pay, so Kenny will return to Norway after trialing at Bayern.

quote:Originally posted by Falcon

Bill,

Unless you know something that I don't (which is possible) Jon Busch has not joined TFC. I do think that Mo will pursue a foreign goalkeeper with Kenny leaving the club. Apparently Tromso wanted more than the transfer fee that TFC was willing to pay, so Kenny will return to Norway after trialing at Bayern.

That's exactly right.

Jon Busch was acquired by TFC... in March of 2007. He was ciut a few weeks later.

And Stama told me himself that he and TFC are working with Tromso so that he can return here next year. Right now the sticking point is the transfer fee, as was mentioned.

For the record Kenny has still been making public appearances for TFC.

Archived