Nominate your coaching Candidate

Trillium

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Does this automatically make him a corporate dink, if so then every single corporate executive in north America fits Ed's corporate dink in a suit category?

Of course it does not automatically make him ..one..nor does it make any other manager a dink in a suit....but Ryan like Pelerud is a Dink in a track suit.... because they have both failed to support there players..and played high school ..politics versus being mature managers who lead without needing sycophants...to build there egos.. read Lilly..et al.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I nominate Charmaine Hooper hands down. Being a player I understand that not all ex players make good coaches, but she has had an awful lot of experience. The fact that her character is strong is a good thing, Canada needs that. As far as her levels, that point could be addressed in one weekend. I think she would be a perfect candidate, she knows EXACTLY what it takes to win, period!

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Levels in one weekend. I think not.

The Canadian Soccer Association recognizes the experience gained by past and present National Team, Professional and Elite players and their potential to play a valuable roll in the development of young players. To that end the following exemptions are given:

Ex-National Team Players/Professional Players with minimum three years experience will be eligible to enter directly into the B License-Provincial Course. (Three years experience as a professional playing in a National Professional League in another country or in the A League is the minimum requirement).

An Elite player will be eligible to enter directly into the B License Pre-Test and if successful will be granted exemption from the Community Coach Program. If unsuccessful the Provincial Technical Director may award the coach a Community Coach-Children designation. (Elite is deemed to mean Professional with less than three years experience, Semi Professional, Senior Provincial League Player, W League player).

So if Charmaine had no courses she could go direct to B licence program, but i suspect she already has levels from the USA that would be granted equivalency.

Please note if you play in the lowest level of the Scotish professional system for three years you can enter the B licence in Canada directly so three years in the 3rd division in Scotland gets direct entry to the B licence.

Whereas three years in the Sao Paulo State Division one does not qualify .. for entry to Canadian B licence.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Would being team captain for a long time also count towards coaching credits?

??? How would you weight that into the evaluation? When is "long time" enough to get a pass?

I have no problem with pro players being given exemption for some coaching levels but I don't want them to be given a B or an A license just because they were good athletes.

Exemptions for National Team/Professional/Elite Players

The Canadian Soccer Association recognizes the experience gained by past and present National Team, Professional and Elite players and their potential to play a valuable role in the development of young players. To that end the following exemptions are given:

Ex-National Team Players/Professional Players with minimum three years experience will be eligible to enter directly into the B License-Provincial Course. (Three years experience as a professional playing in a National Professional League in another country or in the A League is the minimum requirement).

An Elite player will be eligible to enter directly into the B License Pre-Test and if successful will be granted exemption from the Community Coach Program. If unsuccessful the Provincial Technical Director may award the coach a Community Coach-Children designation. (Elite is deemed to mean Professional with less than three years experience, Semi Professional, Senior Provincial League Player, W League player).

Please note that it is the responsibility of the coach to supply documented proof of National Team, Professional or Elite status when making application to his/her Provincial Soccer Association.

Is Charmaine Hooper doing any coaching at all at present? She cancelled all her coaching camps for 2007 according to her website which was last updated on 07.05.2007. Does anybody know what actual coaching certification she does have, if any? Does she plan to look for another playing job in the W-League in 2008? This whole discussion may well be moot if she has quit completely. I also suggest that her chances of winning a coaching job with the CSA at any level are probably less than zero for reasons that must surely be abundantly obvious to everybody.

They may like the money - wouldn't you - but it doesn't by any means mean they would respond favourably to just anybody as coach. I think Charmaine Hooper, for all her long history with the program, would bring some unwanted and even damaging baggage with her. The discussion is moot however as the chances of the CSA ever hiring her after her last fiasco are less than zero, even if she were willing to swallow her rather large pride and accept a job with the CSA as her boss.

quote:Originally posted by rick titus

I nominate Charmaine Hooper hands down. Being a player I understand that not all ex players make good coaches, but she has had an awful lot of experience. The fact that her character is strong is a good thing, Canada needs that. As far as her levels, that point could be addressed in one weekend. I think she would be a perfect candidate, she knows EXACTLY what it takes to win, period!

Who would your second or third choices be behind Hooper? Totally speculating here, but let's say she wasn't interested in the position given the fallout with the CSA.

Hooper and Beckenbauer gave out the World Player of the Year trophy to Marta tonight in Zurich, which speaks volumes about professionalism, class and respect.

Richard meanwhile, at exactly the same time, was sitting at his keyboard character assassinating her as usual. How appropriate.

Who to coach the women? I've heard some good suggestions over the past few months here. I'm interested in the US, Germany, China and England among others going with women. I've always had a best man or woman for the job mentality but am thinking the evidence is pointing in another direction.

I just cross my fingers we can find that special someone who is the perfect combination of both eminently qualified and completely unbiased to make the decision.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Hooper and Beckenbauer gave out the World Player of the Year trophy to Marta tonight in Zurich, which speaks volumes about professionalism, class and respect.

Richard meanwhile, at exactly the same time, was sitting at his keyboard character assassinating her as usual. How appropriate.

Assassinating? Hardly, but do you honestly believe she is a likely candidate as a coach at any level for the the CSA considering what has transpired between her and the CSA? That's not assassinating it's being pragmatic.

If you think my justified criticism of some of Charmaine Hooper's more recent behaviours amounts to 'assassination' then you are naive. If I was setting out to 'assassinate' somebody there would be no doubt about it in anybody's mind.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Richard, didn't you post on 9/30 that you were done with the subject? I was hoping you would have left Mrs. Hooper alone. Apparently she has moved to bigger and better things, let her be.

Other people were talking about her coaching credentials and I asked some questions which resulted in my being accused of assassinating her. A man has a right to defend himself against such vitriol. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to Canadian soccer she is history, why do other people keep dragging up her name in that context?

Archived