Nominate your coaching Candidate

Trillium

From an old article in Macleans...circa 2003, by Carrie Serwetnyk

...(W)hen I returned home to Canada for national-team duty, my favourite game turned into drudgery -- "a job," as then-coach Neil Turnbull called it. Our days were regimented with strict rules, punishments and training sessions at which the coaching staff cursed and barked commands. Our style of play was defensive and unsophisticated, based on a fear of losing by too much. Rather than developing an attacking game of possession and creativity, we focussed on stopping the opposition. As a result, we spent our days chasing other teams for the ball, and if we did win it, sending long panicked passes forward, only to lose possession and start the whole cycle over again. It was an insult to what Pelé called "the beautiful game."

The Women's World Cup in the U.S. in 1999 changed everything. When Brandy Chastain scored the winning penalty kick for the Americans against China and then whipped off her shirt in front of 80,000 fans and millions of viewers, the excitement spilled over into Canada. For the first time, serious questions were raised. Why weren't we very good? Why had we bombed out of the World Cup? Why had we compiled a record of only 22 wins, 51 losses and eight ties over 13 years?

After Canada's final match in '99, I asked team veteran Charmaine Hooper -- in front of a handful of journalists -- what went wrong. Maybe it was a little sneaky, but I knew Charmaine well enough that I figured she would say publicly what we both knew to be true. She blasted the CSA for not providing the women's program with the necessary resources. She vehemently expressed her dislike for Turnbull. We were so tired of never being heard, but this time her words ended up in print across Canada.

Charmaine took the heat when she returned from the tournament, sparking debate and controversy. She refused to play again unless there was an overhaul of the program and a change in the coaching staff. Under greater scrutiny, the CSA was forced to take action. It hired Norway's former world champion coach, Even Pellerud...

I know that Richard has issues with Charmaine Hooper - some steeped in fact, others subjective - but the truth is this: Hooper has twice taken the CSA to task for the shortcomings in the WNT program. She has strong opinions and seemingly doesn't suffer fools gladly. She probably has made some mistakes along the way (ok, she has definitely made some mistakes!) but at least she has shown the courage of her convictions.

Funny, though...she was right about Turnbull's philosophy of play, and ironically, the one to replace him (Pellerud) uses similar tactics.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really ironically I would say more predictably as the CSA only supports that type of play. I had suspected and appreciated her then for her stand against Turnbull and still do now.

Not unlike that wild boy Keane from Ireland although I dont like his tactics or ego very much he ended up well getting a team to the premiership Sunderland.

I can only hope for the same success for Hooper however I beleive she will succeed with another country.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

the truth is this: Hooper has twice taken the CSA to task for the shortcomings in the WNT program. She has strong opinions and seemingly doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Which leads me to contemplate what her coaching style might be.

Charmaine is passionate about the game, with a fierce desire to win. She sets high standards of herself and those around her, doesn't hesitate to speak her mind and isn't afraid to ruffle feathers. In her own oft-quoted words, "I'm not out there to be liked. I'm out there to win."

She strikes me as a classic type-A personality, which of course is true of many coaches, including some very successful ones.

So I wonder, how would she handle a player who she thought wasn't pulling her weight? How would she handle a player who fell out of line? Would she give them the benefit of the doubt, and try to work things out calmly and quietly? or would she take a hard line? If she doesn't suffer fools gladly, would she hesitate to cut a fan-favourite if she thought it necessary?

I think these are questions worth considering, especially for those who don't like to see top players leave the team. Hard-nosed coaches generally have a reputation for shaking up teams, and causing rifts with players. I'm not saying that would necessarily happen with Hooper as coach, or even that it would be a bad thing. Who knows?

I just think that perhaps, people should be a little careful what they wish for.

Food for thought.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

They said the same thing about Fabio Capello. He's coaching England.

True, but he didn't used to star for England and then have a major falling out with the FA officials, coaching staff, and (possibly, I'm just guessing here on this one) former teammates which he is now entrusted with coaching.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, or a sign of a bad coach.

Capello is a great example. The man is ruthless. He is going to drive the players hard, lay down the law, demand total discipline, and not be swayed by sentamentality or public opinion. It will be his way or the highway, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a sacred cow or two fall by the wayside. And maybe that is exactly what this England team needs.

And maybe that's what Canada needs as well. I just get the feeling that some fans here don't have the stomach for that style of coaching.

quote:

True, but he didn't used to star for England and then have a major falling out with the FA officials, coaching staff, and (possibly, I'm just guessing here on this one) former teammates which he is now entrusted with coaching.

Too bad, because man, that would make one hell of a great story.

Capello for the Canadian women is a dream.

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

... I just get the feeling that some fans here don't have the stomach for that style of coaching.

And players, look what happened with the men under hardline Osieck and Turnbull, the very man whom Hooper first objected to. May well be just what both programs need but the style just doesn't seem to be acceptable to the Canadian psyche.

When I was looking for the Hamm quote I came across this great article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=ford/071023

Here's one of the better parts:

"The great Mia Hamm will be on the search committee. She once told former U.S. team coach Tony DiCicco to "coach us like men and treat us like women." Fine -- but they're professional athletes, and they should be encouraged to treat each other like grown-ups.

Men know you don't have to love each other to win. You don't even have to like each other very much. You just have to play well with others."

Maybe it's a dream, but I really hope one day in my lifetime women's soccer in Canada gets to that level. Because if that happens, we have all the talent needed to go with it to make the world stand up and take notice.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

What was Mia Hamm's quote? "Coach us like men, but treat us like women."

The recent difficulties with the latter is probably why we are seeing more women at the helm of WNT's.

I suggest the real reason we have not been seeing women at the helm of national women's teams is exactly the same as why there are more male CEOs and chairmen in industry and commerce.

Mia's coach at North Carolina wrote an article about coaching Women fro Sports Illustrated. In it he said that when you coach men, you break them down and then build them up. You can yell at them in front of their teamates and they will work harder. With women he said that you ALWAYS build them up and NEVER yell at them in front of their teamates.

quote:

I suggest the real reason we have not been seeing women at the helm of national women's teams is exactly the same as why there are more male CEOs and chairmen in industry and commerce.

Yes, agreed, and the same reason they had slaves in Louisiana and women weren't allowed to vote. Let's hear it for progress.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by loyola

What's the story between Leroux and Rosenfeld? What happened?

From what I understand - and this is second hand - she and Rosenfeld had a falling out and she moved to the US to live with her father and play in the ODP system. Fact is he couldn't keep her in the Canadian pool. By the way, she just committed to UCLA.

quote:Originally posted by NS Rooney

And players, look what happened with the men under hardline Osieck and Turnbull, the very man whom Hooper first objected to. May well be just what both programs need but the style just doesn't seem to be acceptable to the Canadian psyche.

I've been reading Richards posts with interest. He appears to be an apologist for the CSA but, at least, he's not hiding the fact. On one level it is a no brainer that Hooper should run the WNT. She is the best female player to ever play for Canada. She has been successfully training young players for years now. She has been a selfless team player (I'm talking "team" not CSA)- witness this world class striker moving, without protest to play in the back when needed. Unfortunately she has too much integrity to coach under the CSA. She doesn't do politics well. Wait a minute, she doesn't do politics at all. And somebody said she "doesn't suffer fools". That kind of puts her out of the running for the WNT job since the CSA can only be described as a "SHIP OF FOOLS". Hooper is smart enough to know that, even if she were offered the job (and that won't happen) she could never put up with the politics and the lack of support for the WNT. How about Bryan Rosenfeld? He must have the politics down by now. It certainly hasn't been his ability to identify or develope great players for the program that has kept him in the job. In fact, he managed to lose one of the best in Sydney Leroux. No, I think Mr. Rosenfeld would be perfect.

I am no apologist for the CSA, try reading some of my other posts on the subject of the CSA. However I do not think Hooper would in any way be an appropriate candidate as head coach for the Canadian WNT for a whole host of reasons and I have made that clear.

I am no apologist for the CSA.

Sounds like a famous quote from another Richard.

You certainly appear to be an apologist for the CSA in their handling of Hooper, Latham and Nonen.

Take no offence though Richard. I am an outright apologist for Charmaine Hooper

I am quite surprised by this Sidney Leroux story. Is this old news? I hadn't followed it. This cuts to the bone much more than Hargreaves or Jonathan de Guzman, as 1) she was a key player in our youth teams and 2) she has gone to the 'dark side' - our direct competition.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Can somebody please expand on just what she meant by "treat us like women" other than the biologically obvious.

1. When asked by their coach, men will try to walk through wall without asking why. Women will ask why.

2. W/ men you can be very Drill Instructor like w/ them. W/ women it doesn't work as they still want to be treated & communicated too like women.

3. Social dynamics or why women think of teams as family. It was explained to me by a WNT Alumni that women function as a group more so as individuals. They want to belong to the group & fear not being a part of it. Listen to this interveiw Andrea Neil gave & how she uses the word family at 1:56

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/women/

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I am no apologist for the CSA.

Sounds like a famous quote from another Richard.

You certainly appear to be an apologist for the CSA in their handling of Hooper, Latham and Nonen.

Getting the 3 back into the NT Program will depend more on the players in the program. Remember coaches come & go when the team is successful as it's easier to replace a coach than a whole team.

Actually, to be a little more specific, Richard holds no quarter for anything out of the East. But you have him coined dead to rights for anything coming out of the Whitecaps/WNT offices.

I hope Leroux isn't being 1-cap thanks-for-coming-out garden-pathed by the US to keep her off our field. I honestly wouldn't put it past them. I also get the spider sense there's more of a story here.

I've always taken Hamm's quote as simply cut the crap old-boy's club macho attitude and Anson Dorrance sexism. I also don't hear a lot of family talk coming out of Brazil and Germany. My guess is they're too preoccupied working on their game.

"Getting the 3 back into the NT Program will depend more on the players in the program."

Actually, as soon as the house is cleaned, it will depend on skill and merit. And cheers to that and every girl who believes in it and drowns in sweat and commitment day in and out to be there.

I'll take team players first and then look for skill, heart and brains. You are not building a track team. This is a team sport. Great TEAMS will usually prevail over a collection of highly skilled individuals.

Just watch Switzerland versus Canada in mens hockey during Olympics 06 as just one of many examples.

Canda has to become a great TEAM, it is the only way they can become succesful (Men or Women, hockey or soccer).

Archived