Nominate your coaching Candidate

Trillium

So ... it seems there is some interest in discussing who should be the new Womens national coach.

Who would you nominate ?

Why would you choose them ?

If you dont have a name..what would your coaches profile be like, what background ....what skill set would you want to see?

I have a few ideas on candidates.. but I will defer to my betters for now... no name is to idealistic get your thinking caps on.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, what about China's Swedish female coach? She might be looking to for a job since she might be fired after failing to get China to the semi-finals. Of course she might get a second chance because the might keep her on till the Olympics. Does anyone know if the host nation gets an automatic spot in the Olympics?

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Ok, what about China's Swedish female coach? She might be looking to for a job since she might be fired after failing to get China to the semi-finals. Of course she might get a second chance because the might keep her on till the Olympics. Does anyone know if the host nation gets an automatic spot in the Olympics?

Too be honest I dont think a northern European is the way to go...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Tony Di Cicco. He guided the US to Gold in the '99 WWC. He's been doing ESPN broadcasts for the women and was just named head coach of the Boston team in the re-launch of the WUSA. Could we lure him over?

I think he would be an interesting candidate..he understands the structure of soccer in North America and the cultural ....buttons that need to be pushed to create a truly successfull team.

Jack Donahue was as success coming to Canada out of the states to coach...so Di Cicco could be a good fit ..he would be able to help younger players find spots at US university programs ..or at least choose good top level programs to develop in.

One of the criteria I think we should be looking at is to ensure the next coach ..who replaces Pelerud helps to build a vision of a path for Canadian coaches to develop... and move forward in soccer as professional coach ....

So one wonders... do you look for a Canadian currently coaching pro soccer for females or look for a university level coach...?

I certainly feel the new assistants .. for the womens team need to lay a foundation for future coaching development in Canada... so we begin to have systemic system to allow for Canadians to coach at a high level.

Tony DiCicco would be a very good fit for our womens' programs.

I posted this on another thread, but it's more relevant here.

From a technical point-of-view, I’ll throw in Carla Chin-Baker as a technical coach for the senior team; and as a head coach for one of our national youth teams. Certainly the women's national goalkeeper coach if nothing else.

She’s a former keeper for the WNT and played in the 1995 Women's World Cup.

She has coached at Cornell, Notre Dame & Iowa in the NCAA. Notre Dame won the NCAAs in 95 while she was there as an assistant and the recruiting coach. No idea why she would have choose Iowa, (her most recent NCAA gig) perhaps because it was a head coaching position, but it was never a good fit which sort of explains why she resigned from there.

She’s currently a USSF technical coach (goalkeepers) and regional coach and holds a USSF A license badge.

She was successful as a player at both the club (Oakville & Scar Utd) & school (MAC & York) levels. When she lived in Dallas, she achieved success as a youth coach with the D’Feeters program, a very strong girls program. Some of her former players (goalkeepers and players) have been very successful within the USSF and NCAA.

Chin-Baker could be that “been-there-done-that” type coach who could relate to the players far better than Pelerud or Bridge could ever dream of. She's also worked extensively with Tony DiCicco through his keeper's camp.

Currently I believe Chin-Baker is coaching within a club in Indianapolis, Indiana.

One another candidate for coaching one of our national youth teams is Charmaine Hooper – who I think will one day be a very good coach.

I would far rather see both coaching Canadian girls than American girls.

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/09/22/dicicco_along_for_next_ride/

September 22, 2007

"Tony DiCicco, who guided the United States to the Women's World Cup title in 1999, was named coach of the Boston Breakers yesterday. DiCicco, 59, a Wethersfield, Conn., native, is employed as a commentator by ESPN for Women's World Cup games and will begin working with the Breakers after the Sept. 30 final."

I remember Carla Chin playing club back in the 80's. She was small, but she was a great gymnastic shotstopper. It's a tough life making a living staying in the game, and not surprised to hear she's in the States. Glad to hear she's still at it, and wish her the best of luck.

Age of CDN WNT players while US WNT players Kate Markgraf (Sobrero) and Shannon Boxx were winning an NCAA championship with Carla Chin as an assistant on the bench at Notre Dame:

Brittany Timko 10

Kara Lang 8

Sophie Schmidt 7

Jodi-Ann Robinson 6

Age when Kris Lilly won her NCAA championship:

Brittany Timko 4

Kara Lang 2

Sophie Schmidt 1

Jodi-Ann Robinson 0

I agree Hooper will make a good coach some day. But not now. First of all, her exit from the team created a lot of friction and bad feelings. There may be some lingering ill will between Hooper and the current players.

More importantly, though, Hooper hasn't established any coaching credentials. She needs to start as an assistant coach in the W-League or NCAA then work her way up. It would be a mistake to give her the national team as her first coaching job.

I agree Hooper will make a good coach some day. But not now. First of all, her exit from the team created a lot of friction and bad feelings. There may be some lingering ill will between Hooper and the current players.

More importantly, though, Hooper hasn't established any coaching credentials. She needs to start as an assistant coach in the W-League or NCAA then work her way up. It would be a mistake to give her the national team as her first coaching job.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

I agree she has not established coaching credentials at a high level that we know of. However her accomplishments as a player are impressive. This is her bio from her website:

http://www.charmainehooper.com/bio.html

Is there any chance Canada could lure a coach from from one of the better European club teams? Vik Akers from the Arsenal Ladies team, Mo Marley from Everton, or Hans-Jurgen Tritschoks from FFC Frankfurt. I mention Arsenal and Everton in particular because England was probably the most improved team in this year's WWC and it's largely due to the quality of play in the Ladies Premiership.

Charmaine Hooper's bio on her website shows zero coaching qualifications. It would seem her only coaching experience is summer camps for girls 10+. Being a good player does not automatically mean she would make a good coach, at any level, even if she had the appropriate certification which it appears she does not. Of course she could always work to achieve the necessary certification and make herself available but as of now it would seem she is not a suitable candidate. I suggest it would need a new generation of players in the WNT player pool for it to work though, even if she could get past the bad taste in the mouths at the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

Only if we can have the name in flashing lights in the background.

For the uninitiated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STiuregSvHg

Now you guys are thinking imagine 25,000 fans singing it ...and clapping in unison...a real firm behind the womens national team so playing us at home or away is ... total experience...

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Is there any chance Canada could lure a coach from from one of the better European club teams? Vik Akers from the Arsenal Ladies team, Mo Marley from Everton, or Hans-Jurgen Tritschoks from FFC Frankfurt. I mention Arsenal and Everton in particular because England was probably the most improved team in this year's WWC and it's largely due to the quality of play in the Ladies Premiership.

The average Canadian female player on a good local premiere team could make most English premiere teams.. the coaching is no better then found here in many local leagues.. you really have to look to US college coaches ...or to National coaches... i am pretty sure a Brit coach would be a failure due to the cultural differences ..... we probably need a north american preferably a Canadian... there are candidates out there who could step in .. quickly to reform the team for the Olympics...

Guest speedmonk42

Why on earth are we low balling(no pun intended) the WNT coach so much?

Ask the players. Do they want Gus Hiddink or a female coach because she is female...which there seems to be a tendency towards...

I think I know what the answer would be.

The point is we should be dreaming just as big for both teams.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Where do you see the requirement for a A license to coach a national team ?

From the little I know, i think licensing requirements are a local thing of associations that require somebody in the team's staff to have a certain level of certification. It doesn't mean the head coach needs to have it. I also think that there is a lot of credit given to former high level players who engage in coaching.

Archived