Coach-Player Conflict at TFC?

Grizzly

Very strange to have the coach claim one player was injured despite claims to the contrary from the player while another player in the same game say he was injured while the coach says he was fine. It is also strange that despite Mo's many criticisms of the Canadians it appears in the article that it is the British and American players he is having conflict with. I am coming more and more to the conclusion that Mo is not the coach TFC needs to be successful next year. I still think he was only hired in the first place because he had a valid contract with MLS that had to be paid even if he wasn't coaching.

TFC extends drought

Frustration setting in as team approaches MLS record

By DEAN MCNULTY, SUN MEDIA

Toronto FC midfielder Andy Welsh attempts to tackle Orlando Perez of Chivas USA yesterday at BMO Field. TFC continue its streak of futility, losing 2-0 and running its goalless streak to six games. (Dave Thomas/Sun Media)

The promised return of star striker Jeff Cunningham came 70 minutes too late at BMO Field yesterday and the result was predictable -- another goalless loss by Toronto FC, this time 2-0 to Chivas USA.

It marked the sixth consecutive game against Major League Soccer competition that TFC has been unable to score, taking the team to the brink of the league record (557 minutes) of futility, which it will set if it doesn't score in the opening five minutes of next week's home game against D.C. United.

Even more ominous for the first-year squad, however, is that a rift between some of the players and manager Mo Johnston appears to be forming in the locker room.

Cunningham -- who Johnston claimed on Friday was pain-free and ready to play -- said yesterday that he is neither and should not have been put into the game.

"On the pitch, I wasn't effective at all," he said. "I was questioning (Johnston's) decision (to put him in). If I was my normal self, I

could help but I am not able to do it."

When asked if maybe it was just that he wasn't fit enough after being off for five weeks, Cunnningham was adamant that it was the injury that has slowed him.

"Of course it's the injury," he said.

In the post-game press conference, Johnston said he thought Cunningham had been effective in his 20 minutes of play.

"I thought he was getting behind the defenders like I know he can," Johnston said.

Across the TFC locker room from Cunningham, midfielder Andy Welsh was steamed that he had been taken out of the game after what even Johnston admitted was his best half of play since the club's goalless skein began last month.

"Welshie played very well for the first 60 minutes or so," Johnston said. "But he suffered a charley horse and was not able to keep up with the play after that. Guys were going by him."

According to Welsh, he did not have an injury.

"I was fine. I wanted to stay in," he said. "Am I unhappy about being taken out? Yes, I am unhappy."

Welsh has been in Johnston's dog house -- he didn't start in the previous two games -- until yesterday when he was at his regular position at the opening kick.

Johnston said that he feels Welsh, Danny Dichio and Carl Robinson, who all played full seasons in England before joining TFC this past spring, may all be experiencing fatigue.

"I know Carl has played 70-plus games this season and Danny and Andy aren't far behind," Johnston said. "They need rest but, in our position, we can't afford to give them a month off."

Dichio made his return to the team yesterday when he was substituted for Andrea Lombardo at the start of the second half. He has been out four games with a hip flexor.

A third injured starter, Marvel Wynne, also made a brief appearance.

But by that time, TFC was behind 1-0 on a goal in the 57th minute from Maykel Galindo that Johnston alleged was clearly offside.

"That took the wind out of our sails," he said.

The second Chivas goal came off the foot of Francisco Mendoza in the 89th minute.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I still think he was only hired in the first place because he had a valid contract with MLS that had to be paid even if he wasn't coaching.

That's an interesting theory. And, one that I had not considered previous to this.

It IS, I suppose, possible that Mo was imposed on TFC rather than MLSEL selecting him. Now that I think about it, what was the extend of the search that was conducted for a coach? We had not heard anything from the media prior to the naming of Mo as coach( eg.: who was conducting the search, who was doing the interviews, what knowledge of the game did those who did the interview possess, who else was being considered for the job, etc). If this were the Leafs, Raptors, Jays or argos, all these things would have been out in public and rumours and speculation would have been abundant. As such the actual process is more transparant when it come to other sports teams.

Judging from the past, I have a hard time believing that MLSEL is actully confortable giving someone carte blanche over all aspects of player personel decsions. I never sensed that they were comfortable with Pat Quinn playing both roles as coach and GM. Though this practise is common in Europe, I am not sure that I am comfortable with it. Separating the duties of coaching from player personnel ( as is common in North american sports organization) provides alot checks and balances. Plus there is more transparancy for the fans and a greater comfort level for fans that decsions are always done in the best interest of the team over the short team and long term horizon. We know that the LA Galaxy operate in this fashion with Alexis Lalas the GM and Yallop the coach therefore, it shoudl not be a novelty to to the club.

I guess being from that pond and that includes Holland ,it maybe very difficult to understand our mentality and that from abroad. In Europe soccer is king and the commitments are total. In NA we are still not the sport that demands that total commitment which includes all aspects as well.European coaches are extremely demanding and expect the very best, that is their culture. Here in Canada we are still in a transition stage.I am only guessing on this but it seems to be a valid argument. I am not criticizing our players,just that high profile culture does not exist yet.Give it about 5 years and than we maybe on par with that same intense commitment,acceptance and adulation.Very sensitive stuff and please do not read in this that we Canadians are less,it is that culture thing that has not caught up yet I believe.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

That's an interesting theory. And, one that I had not considered previous to this.

Really? Check out the 4th post down.

Cheeta's a genius!

But it also revives the question as to who managers/coaches are under contract to. "Franchise" or league? I'd suspect the franchise but staffing/labour contracts are a complicted area in MLS so I really have no idea.

Doesn't matter. The club's hurting, physicaly and mentaly and darts are starting to fly. Welsh has been taking a ****-kicking in the press and in the stands and he's starting to boil.

Good.

He's needed a kick in the arse and I doubt Trader Mo will be able to move him so kick away and see if you can get a fire burning in that gut.

In truth this criticism isn't all Welsh's own fault. Sure maybe he's underperformed somewhat but he plays his game a certain way meaning by that he most effectively fits into a certain type of team structure which odviously doesn't exist in Toronto. He's no rookie and so no one, especially not</u> the manager, should be surprised at what he's brought. Much in the same way no one should be surprised O'Brien is out injured. Just par for the course.

So I can see why Mr. Welsh is getting frustrated, short and angry with his manager. But I can also expect Mr. Welsh needing to respond to his circumstances. Negative though they be, and in part at least, not of his making.

And I think he did that last match. See if he can continue with it and improve. Someone on this team needs to ratchet it up and deliver.

Well it looks like Mo's decision to play Cunningham on Saturday in spite of Cunningham's better judgment has bitten both him & the club in the ass. It was reported on the FAN590 that Cunningham pulled out of practice today and this article has confirmed he is likely done for the season:

globesports

It's highly ironic, to put it politely, that Mo is taking the national team to task for allegedly not looking after Sutton properly when he turns around and does this. In addition to Cunningham's comments in the article posted in the first post of this thread, there are reports on usector from fans sitting close to the bench that Cunningham pleaded with Mo on the sidelines not to send him into the game, but Mo did anyway & now Cunningham is done for the year. This after Mo admitted that he had overplayed Dichio (including starting him against Aston Villa) and helped to cause his injury.

There is also some news in the article that TFC are looking to sign Stamatopoulos permanently, which is good news at least.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well it looks like Mo's decision to play Cunningham on Saturday in spite of Cunningham's better judgment has bitten both him & the club in the ass. It was reported on the FAN590 that Cunningham pulled out of practice today and this article has confirmed he is likely done for the season:

globesports

It's highly ironic, to put it politely, that Mo is taking the national team to task for allegedly not looking after Sutton properly when he turns around and does this. In addition to Cunningham's comments in the article posted in the first post of this thread, there are reports on usector from fans sitting close to the bench that Cunningham pleaded with Mo on the sidelines not to send him into the game, but Mo did anyway & now Cunningham is done for the year. This after Mo admitted that he had overplayed Dichio (including starting him against Aston Villa) and helped to cause his injury.

There is also some news in the article that TFC are looking to sign Stamatopoulos permanently, which is good news at least.

Youch.

Don't know if Cunningham playing made matters worse or simply proved once and for all that the man isn't going to recover sufficiently without surgery (Germany?). Plenty of players put off necessary surgery until the off season. If of course, they can.

Still, youch.

Bit odd that he'd allow himself to be dressed but protest sub'ing in later into the match. Why dress if you're physicaly not up for it? Is Mo so dominating that an MLS veteran like Cunningham can be cowered into complying to Mo's will? Yeah, right.

Kenny S has played the best of the TFC 'keepers and I think everyone will agree on that. Would look bad on Mo if he let him get away this winter.

There's a somewhat humourous article on Kenny in today's Toronto Star, where Mo has described him as "magnificent". Couple of funny quips from Kenny about his name though.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/248646

I'm surprised there hasn't been more criticism about the first goal against Chivas though - it did seem to me from the angle I had that it was one that he might have had. I can't help feel that if Djekanovic had let that in he would have been ripped to shreds in the press & on the various boards.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

There's a somewhat humourous article on Kenny in today's Toronto Star, where Mo has described him as "magnificent". Couple of funny quips from Kenny about his name though.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/248646

I'm surprised there hasn't been more criticism about the first goal against Chivas though - it did seem to me from the angle I had that it was one that he might have had. I can't help feel that if Djekanovic had let that in he would have been ripped to shreds in the press & on the various boards.

Kind of agree about that first Chivas goal but it was very well struck and moving a lot, I think Kenny was fooled by the ball movement (Craig Forrest said Kenny S. would like to see that shot again...).

But the difference between Kenny and Srdjan is there and I'm pretty sure the back 4 feel more comfortable playing in front of Kenny.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

But the difference between Kenny and Srdjan is there and I'm pretty sure the back 4 feel more comfortable playing in front of Kenny.

I don't want to go back through the lineups and check for myself, but I think the group that Stamatopoulos has had playing in front of him has been a more stable, steady, professional, experienced bunch than what Djekanovic was dealing with. Stama, I think, has had to deal with fewer games with Boyens starting (he's brutal), less of Dunivant (also not great), more games with Brennan in his natural spot, etc.

Would not be surprised if Mo starts losing the locker room....have you ever been to training for TFC???? It's the same thing every single practice....all they do is half pitch scrimage with Mo right in the middle thinking he's still a player. No drills, no work on set pieces, nothing! What the hell does Gansler do?? Apparently Mo is such a power freak and he does not rely on his staff enough...Gansler is a great technical coach and could prepare the players much better than Mo......Johnston's excuses after games is always..."the boys did not work hard enough tonight, they did not come out, the effort was not there." Well how about their preparation? Who's marking who, what should they be looking for?? I've talked to players up to the day before a match and have asked what the plan is and on more than one occasion the answer has been, "we have not talked about that yet." After going to the Galaxy training session I said to myself, "ohh this is what a real training session should look like."

I also don't agree with calling players out in the media...do it in the dressing room, but stay generic with the media....I know if Mo called me out in the paper I might have a tough time turning around and wanting to play for the guy....it's old school managing and it has been proven it does not work.

Archived