TFC v RBNY

ken

They're going to have to nickname Welsh and Samuel buzz kill, any time that TFC thought of venturing into the NY end ( precious few considering they were outshot 12-0 in the first half) the dynamic duo would pass it out of bounds, give it away, be stuck by lightning or have the earth open up and swallow them whole. The only high points so far are Kenny's play and Lombardo punching the other guy in the nuts.

If they can't play there is no way any of the subs could possibly be worse. Someone, anyone please.

Agreed. Interesting to hear Shep Messing say that he's heard that Welsh is unhappy in Toronto & wants out. If that's the case, good bye & good riddance. If he's unhappy at being so grossly overpaid for what he brings to the field, then I'm sure we can play any Canadian in his position.

It's still amazing to me that the focus of Mo Johnston (until last week) had been to complain about the "very average" Canadian talent when the biggest problems on the field has been the amount of money spent on some "very average" imports.

Had a bit of a chuckle about that "Welsh unhappy in Toronto" mussing. Whatever.

Field is slanted towards Kenny S' goal it seems. He's been great by the way. Very good match so far. Hope that doesn't hold true for the 2nd half.

Red Bull cannot get out of Giant Stadium soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Some TFC lads made the trip to New York and are camped in front of one of the stadium mic's. Good for them.

Kenny does look better than Sutton thus far, more confident & he had no chance on any of the goals. That & the play of Joey Melo, showing some promise, were the only positives for TFC today. To be fair to the team they are ravaged by injuries & suspension (they get Edu back from suspension for the next game but lose Pozniak due to a somewhat harsh red card when the game was pretty well already over), but the lack of offense generated from the team on the road is just ridiculous. Welsh & Samuel were totally useless before they were taken off (though the latter may have been injured somewhat) providing no offensive support for Lombardo who was basically the only target for TFC & was thus easy for New York to focus on.

This team is pretty well night & day from the way it plays at home, even when they had a full roster that was the case.

Kenny S. was quite impressive. Instantly better than half the keepers in MLS from what i've seen around the league.

I'd have to agree with Gian-Luca on Mojo's talent problems. Welsh today was probably the worst player on the pitch (and one of the better paid). I watched him give up repeatedly after being beat on the wing. Really sad. I assume Mo is going to be the coach until the end of this year. After that, who knows.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Kenny S. was quite impressive. Instantly better than half the keepers in MLS from what i've seen around the league.

I'd have to agree with Gian-Luca on Mojo's talent problems. Welsh today was probably the worst player on the pitch (and one of the better paid). I watched him give up repeatedly after being beat on the wing. Really sad. I assume Mo is going to be the coach until the end of this year. After that, who knows.

Do you really believe that Mo would be going somewhere? He and Paul Bierne run TFC and no ownership type is going to cut loose Mo at this point in time.

It will be interesting to see how he revamps the side during the off season. With Welsh, Samuel and Marco gone, some decent cap room will open up so hopefully some sort of DP will actually come to Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Do you really believe that Mo would be going somewhere? He and Paul Bierne run TFC and no ownership type is going to cut loose Mo at this point in time.

It will be interesting to see how he revamps the side during the off season. With Welsh, Samuel and Marco gone, some decent cap room will open up so hopefully some sort of DP will actually come to Toronto.

Probably not, but he's not exactly in contract extension territory right now. Mo is suffering from the same problems RBNY fans noted durring his unsuccessful campaign. My best guess is he's here for two years but gone after.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Another gem from Scarborough and the Robbie!

A first ever for me today. I fell asleep during a TFC or Canada game. It was that bad. When I woke up, I found out that I didn't miss anything and Incredibly! there were no shots on goal. I found out that NYRB had a 14-0 advantage in shots in the first half (21-3 for the game) and that TFC didn't register its first shot attempt until the 75th minute off of a corner kick that was headed wide. Even more incredible, the thought ( or so we are told) that there were other MLS teams in bidding for the Samuel's services.

Oh and one more thing, Football lines on a soccer pitch suck!!! It might have been seeing those lines that put me to sleep. Gotta wonder if RBNY might have been better off playing a Shea Stadium. Or, surely there must be a better facility ( college or otherwise)for soccer in that city until that SSS gets built in NJ. They drew 12K fans ( Including four full busses of TFC fans) for today's game, so why do they need a jumbo sized facility like Giants Stadium for that.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Not too happy with seeing Lombardo punching another player, he need to be more compose. We (TFC and CMNT) don't need stupid red card offense like that. He's lucky to still be on the field.

I didn't see the play, but, from what i have seen in other games, I have to agree that he does commit far too many stupid and unnecessary fouls.

I fell asleep as well and even felt cheated before I dozed of.Those lines seemed like a jungle and I really was brought back to the old NASL days.I did not expect this to see and that's when I realized that we are still in N.A.At least it looked green alright. What a mess and what a result as well. That Dutch guy and Angel were murder till I dozed of.How many more stadiums are still NASL crap.We need to set up youth developments through TFC asap and without that we are stuck with that crazy system. Soccer is all about youth developments.Nothing more and nothing less.

Apart from the keeper, every player on the TFC side today put in less-than-average performances -- regardless of their passeports.

One other exception, but not due to performance in the run of play: Brennan scolding the fan(s) who threw bottle(s) of water onto the pitch.

The team, and TFC fans, are better than this.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Marco Reda gone?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It's interesting to note that Mo Johnston seems to be ranking Joey Melo higher than a player like Nunez. Was Melo good enough for our U-20's?

From the few reserves matches I've seen Melo has looked better than Nunez. Looks more composed, better passer and makes fewer simple errors. Not sure why so many are high on Nunez, I've never seen anything in him.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I think that Melo is younger. Might still be eligible for the next U20 WC. I am not 100% sure though

Yes he is eligible for 2009 but it still surprising that he is getting some first team minutes over Nunez. I'm not suggesting Mitchell made a coaching mistake by cutting Melo but that Mitchell and Johnston are rating those 2 guys differently.

quote:Originally posted by jesse

From the few reserves matches I've seen Melo has looked better than Nunez. Looks more composed, better passer and makes fewer simple errors. Not sure why so many are high on Nunez, I've never seen anything in him.

I've never seen too much love (nor hate) for Nunez on this board. I too was never really impress with him.

Melo is a right-sided player for TFC, whereas Nunez is more of a central midfielder. He's not so much getting playing time ahead of Nunez as he is ahead of Canizalez, who Mo presumably has completely given up on as he hasn't featured in months. For the U20 team we had Peters especially and Jackson who played that right-sided position who are a couple of years older & had much more pro experience & were selected ahead of Melo. I expect Melo will be a key player for the next U20 team though, as will his TFC teammates Gala & Attakora-Gyan.

quote:Originally posted by jesse

nunez plays a less glamorous role, kind of a long ball distributor and kind of a midfield marshall, when he plays well he's almost invisible, and when things go bad, people assume it's the guy they don't recall who was the problem.

quote:Originally posted by JPB

Apart from the keeper, every player on the TFC side today put in less-than-average performances -- regardless of their passeports.

One other exception, but not due to performance in the run of play: Brennan scolding the fan(s) who threw bottle(s) of water onto the pitch.

The team, and TFC fans, are better than this.

Although I believe Brennan is praiseworthy for his passion, your praise for his scolding is misguided:

quote:After New York's third goal, some plastic bottles landed on the pitch from the Toronto supporters' area. Brennan, with his wrist wrapped, helped with the clean-up, tossing a couple of bottles away from the playing surface.

"They're disappointed," Brennan said. "What can I say to them? I'm disappointed myself. If I were them, I'd throw bottles on the field as well.

Globe & Mail

I was seated in the fifth row (directly behind one of the bottle throwers, incidentally), and Brennan was looking nowhere near us when he was yelling. He was yelling either at the Red Bull bench or their supporters, but definitely not at the TFC supporters.

I don't condone the bottle throwing (in any situation).

Brennan also looked like he was ready to fight Angel after he put the ball into the net on the offside play. Reda and Angel were having words and Brennan stepped in and gave Angel an earfull.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Oh and one more thing, Football lines on a soccer pitch suck!!! It might have been seeing those lines that put me to sleep. Gotta wonder if RBNY might have been better off playing a Shea Stadium. Or, surely there must be a better facility ( college or otherwise)for soccer in that city until that SSS gets built in NJ. They drew 12K fans ( Including four full busses of TFC fans) for today's game, so why do they need a jumbo sized facility like Giants Stadium for that.

Well, there was already a huge fuss made when "New Jersey" was dropped from the club's name (it used to be NY/NJ Metrostars). So I doubt that New Jersey would stand-by while the team moves to Shea stadium (or any other part of New York) even if it were only temporarily. Plus it might actually make the attendance even worse considering half (most?) of the fan base comes from New Jersey.

They want the team in New Jersey but they still wanna be close enough to NY to get that extra 4 or 5 thousand people from New York City to come over. So the options are limited.

There should really be 2 teams in NY metro area. The New York one would be well supported and the NJ one nobody will give a $hite about (just like in every other sport).

Archived