Gold Cup coverage so far on Sportsnet and Gol TV

quote:Originally posted by RJB

What is stopping Sportsnet from using the CBC broadcast team for international games? They have an agreement where they share Jim Hughson with Hockey Night in Canada, so having Craig Forrest and Nigel Reed do Canada games for Sportsnet, and TFC games for CBC doesn't seem like it would be impossible.

How about Sat. and Sun games Can Greg Forest do both From Boston and T.O.???[:0]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say what you want, and there is a bit to complain about but this is the best Gold Cup coverage ever.

We get every single match and we get every single Canadian match LIVE and on delayed telecast TWICE. Yeah, sure. Some of the matches are on digital only but they're available. Remember WCQ when you couldn't get a match live on any channel?

Best coverage ever.

And agree completely about the GolTV coverage. Signal is a bit wanting at time but I'll take it and James and Godfrey look genius during the break. Not my usual habit but I have been watching the matches with the sound on and have as a result learned to appreciate Dobson and Forrest more. Gerry calls a match in the NA style, something he's more comfortable with odviously and not exactly my cup of tea but it's tolerable. Think he does dumb-it-down a bit too much though but he is getting better.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

What is stopping Sportsnet from using the CBC broadcast team for international games? They have an agreement where they share Jim Hughson with Hockey Night in Canada, so having Craig Forrest and Nigel Reed do Canada games for Sportsnet, and TFC games for CBC doesn't seem like it would be impossible.

What is stopping Sportsnet from using the CBC broadcast team for TFC games?

What is stopping The Score from using the CBC broadcast team for TFC games?

I want Craig and Nigel doing all TFC games. Ya, I know that Dobson and Sharman will have bruised ego's but watcha gonna do.

Let's have some consistency.

db

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Semi-final in prime time against the US and we still won't have it live on regular cable.

TRY AND GROW THE PRODUCT!

Lord help me if we make the final and it's bumped by the BJ's...

If we make it to Sunday, Sportsnet is not carrying the Jays game that day. CBC is.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Say what you want, and there is a bit to complain about but this is the best Gold Cup coverage ever.

We get every single match and we get every single Canadian match LIVE and on delayed telecast TWICE. Yeah, sure. Some of the matches are on digital only but they're available. Remember WCQ when you couldn't get a match live on any channel?

Best coverage ever.

And agree completely about the GolTV coverage. Signal is a bit wanting at time but I'll take it and James and Godfrey look genius during the break. Not my usual habit but I have been watching the matches with the sound on and have as a result learned to appreciate Dobson and Forrest more. Gerry calls a match in the NA style, something he's more comfortable with odviously and not exactly my cup of tea but it's tolerable. Think he does dumb-it-down a bit too much though but he is getting better.

Acutally for all the critism that Dobson gives, he is doing what he can, given his background. Basically when he started at Sportsnet, he did not have a soccer background whatsoever and even thought the sport was stupid, suposedly. At least now he does appreciate the game.

Forrest is great. Wish Reed was doing all the games for Forrest.

I am just wondering, and perhaps maybe the CSA is listening and will consider this for the 2010 WCQ, is to sell some of the CSA rights to CBC for WCQ when Sportsnet cant show the games, because of Blue Jays baseball on Sportsnet. I think Sportsnet needs to know that Canadian fans deserve the best for the next WCQ round.

Just a thought.

We need to ditch Dobson now. I can't stand when he seems to bring on some sort of critical tone. Dude, all you do is call out the names of the players, and drag out incidents of failure. I can't get into it when he calls a goal for the team either. Sorry but he is not a soccer head. I want soccer knowledge in that seat calling the game.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Semi-final in prime time against the US and we still won't have it live on regular cable.

TRY AND GROW THE PRODUCT!

Lord help me if we make the final and it's bumped by the BJ's...

But seriously, what do want them to do? Their investment in the Jays is much greater than Canadian soccer.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

But seriously, what do want them to do? Their investment in the Jays is much greater than Canadian soccer.

True enough. But TSN has made more tha a few dollars by purchasing the rights to the CFL games and selling some of those games to the CBC. Would Ted Rogers think there's money to be made by selling the rights to this game to the CBC? Good question.

quote:Originally posted by Stephen LaRose

True enough. But TSN has made more tha a few dollars by purchasing the rights to the CFL games and selling some of those games to the CBC. Would Ted Rogers think there's money to be made by selling the rights to this game to the CBC? Good question.

CBC has shown that they are only interested in weekend sporting events (except hockey playoffs). They don't have any TFC games during the week and the only CFL ones are on Labour Day and Thanksgiving holidays. Only one of their Blue Jays broadcasts is not on a weekend. So I don't know why people seem to think that they would somehow give us better coverage than RSN.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

They operate five nationally available cable channels. Surely one of them can show the game live, and the BJ game on delay. Is that really so demanding?

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

They operate five nationally available cable channels. Surely one of them can show the game live, and the BJ game on delay. Is that really so demanding?

That's exactly what they do. All Canada's Gold Cup matches have been available live one or two of their digital channels. Atlantic Canada got the Gold Cup opener live on their analogue cable instead of TFC.

The matches are there for those willing make an effort to watch.

quote:Originally posted by Splatypus

That's exactly what they do. All Canada's Gold Cup matches have been available live one or two of their digital channels. Atlantic Canada got the Gold Cup opener live on their analogue cable instead of TFC.

The matches are there for those willing make an effort to watch.

How about making Blue Jay (or Mariners fans for that matter) make that effort just for once out of the 5 billion or so games they air live & have them watch it on the obscure digital channel & put the much more important Canada vs. US match on analogue this time?

I understand sportsnet showing BJs on Ontario; but if I was living outside of Ont and only had analague Sportsnet, I would be really be pissed that BJs are on over Team Canada.

I know the CSA probably didn't have too many choices; but maybe they should give the rights to a sports network who doesn't have BJ rights. This conflict has been going on ages. And the BJs always win because of their more iron clad contract.

Blue-Jays Smoo-Jays.

Maybe SportsNet is using the Gold Cup as a means of advertising the advantages of purchasing their digital package?

CBC seems to be doing just that with Country Canada and the U20s.

(Come to think of it, when are we going to see a CBC Sports digital channel?)

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Blue-Jays Smoo-Jays.

Maybe SportsNet is using the Gold Cup as a means of advertising the advantages of purchasing their digital package?

CBC seems to be doing just that with Country Canada and the U20s.

(Come to think of it, when are we going to see a CBC Sports digital channel?)

I think eventually CBC is going to turn Country Canada into a CBC sports channel, down the road, IMO. Orginally Country Canada was suppose to be a rural Canadian channel. Guess that went down the drain.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

I think eventually CBC is going to turn Country Canada into a CBC sports channel, down the road, IMO. Orginally Country Canada was suppose to be a rural Canadian channel. Guess that went down the drain.

There isn't much of a rural Canada to warrant its own channel, I am afraid.

DISCLAIMER: I'm the son of a rural farmer.

I don't know why it seems it is so hard to understand - when a company bids for the broadcast rights to a team, they say "we will pay you this much AND show this many games LIVE across our network. We will give you maximum exposure" (which in this case is analogue).

quote:Originally posted by Regs

I don't know why it seems it is so hard to understand - when a company bids for the broadcast rights to a team, they say "we will pay you this much AND show this many games LIVE across our network. We will give you maximum exposure" (which in this case is analogue).

Yes we understand that. Too bad they apparently didn't bother to say that with respect to Canada.

I see the game listed as 4pm on soccertv.net. For both GolTV and Sportsnet. I usually go to an Italian cafe to watch the games, the Spanish commentary sort of adds to it in a way. They always seem to get the games live, via Sattelite or whatever.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yes we understand that. Too bad they apparently didn't bother to say that with respect to Canada.

It's not a question of respect, it's a question of who came first and witch schedule was out first. In this case, I bet the MLB schedule was out before we even knew at what time/date the GC semis would be played.

I agree, it seems so simple to make a switch for that one game but I guess that between the different parties it isn't that simple. If they do make this switch I'm pretty sure you'll have a "tollé" of protest compare to 100 posters on a forum who are complaining because they haven't.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It's not a question of respect, it's a question of who came first and witch schedule was out first.

I wasn't using "respect" in that sense (ie. the Aretha Franklin sense), but simply was referring to Canada ie. they apparently didn't bother to say that with regard to Canada.

Yes, we all know that the MLB schedule was in place long before Canada made the semi-final, or even the quarter final. But Sportsnet's owners and the Jays owners are one and the same, so the whole bidding for rights for a team example that Regs mentioned is somewhat askew. It is difficult to believe that the necessary arrangements couldn't be made internally at Rogers if the will was there. The problem is that the will isn't there, apparently.

A Few random, semi-serious thoughts:

1. Baseball fans aren't sufficiently evolved to program a VCR... Rogers knows they could never manage to find the right digital feed if Canada were to be shown on analogue.

2. The Gold Cup schedulers may have tried to schedule start times that wouldn't conflict with Baseball, however when they realized that your typical baseball game takes like 6 hours to play, leaving precious little of prime time remaining, they pretty much gave up on the idea.

3. I once tried a little experiment with a PVR program. I set it up to alternate between two channels, one showing a documentary and another showing a baseball game. It was set up to show me exactly 1.5 seconds of baseball every 24 seconds (the remaining 22.5 seconds spent on the documentary). I was able to follow both without missing a beat. Seriously.

4. When I visited Toronto recently I was on my way to BMO via public transit, waiting for a GO bus at the Unionville Go station. There were only three other people there, one an elderly lady, the other two were young guys around 20-22 who struck me as sports fan types. I asked if they were headed to the game, and they said yes. We talked for about 2 minutes until I realized they were talking about the Blue Jays game. I explained I was going to see Toronto FC, and met with quizzical stares. I explained that this was a soccer team, and they looked at me like I was from another planet. Sad, really. Perhaps that is typical for suburbanites, tho...

5. I hate baseball (although I do play it occasionally, mostly for social or corporate reasons).

Unionville is in the outer suburbs. Some people out there have missed the hype about TFC , especially if they dont come into Toronto all that often. Believe me, once the Beckahm hype machine comes and goes there will be nary a soul left in the GTA who hasnt heard of TFC, excepting the aged, and infirm.

Archived