Gold Cup coverage so far on Sportsnet and Gol TV

What is everyone's opinion of the 2007 CONCACAF coverage on Gol TV Canada and Rogers Sportsnet.

I have found Gol TV's coverage to be ok, but the host announcers are really cheesy and thus make Lee Godfrey and Paul James look brilliant in their half-time and post game analysis.

As for Rogers Sportsnet, I can't really give an opinion as of yet, as I have only really seen Gol TV's coverage less Canada's first game against Costa Rica when Rogers had to use those same lame generic public access host broadcast announcers.

Lastly with Gol TV's coverage, I have noticed that it keeps cutting out often and on Friday night, you could hear the Spanish/Mexican announcers in the background.

Just a few thoughts.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GolTV has Keyvan Heydari doing all the matches including our opener against Costa Rica. When he's paired with GoTV regular Phil Schoen he's tolerable but for the opener and yesterdays matches he was with someone else who is just terrible. Together they are downright appalling.

They are talking over the Spanish feed but that's nothing new for GolTV. I'm somewhat confused as to why GolTV is doing these matches. They don't have the Spanish or English rights in the USA so as far as I know it's just GolTV Canada that is using these matches. If it is only GolTV Canada I wonder why they are paying GolTV usa for the commentators.

As for the Rogers coverage it's been pretty good. They've got other commitments (Blue Jays, TFC) but have made the matches available to us on their digital feeds. I don't really like Dobson and he seems to have a negative effect on Forrest. I much prefer Craig with Nigel Reed on CBC.

quote:Originally posted by Splaty

GolTV has Keyvan Heydari doing all the matches including our opener against Costa Rica. When he's paired with GoTV regular Phil Schoen he's tolerable but for the opener and yesterdays matches he was with someone else who is just terrible. Together they are downright appalling.

They are talking over the Spanish feed but that's nothing new for GolTV. I'm somewhat confused as to why GolTV is doing these matches. They don't have the Spanish or English rights in the USA so as far as I know it's just GolTV Canada that is using these matches. If it is only GolTV Canada I wonder why they are paying GolTV usa for the commentators.

As for the Rogers coverage it's been pretty good. They've got other commitments (Blue Jays, TFC) but have made the matches available to us on their digital feeds. I don't really like Dobson and he seems to have a negative effect on Forrest. I much prefer Craig with Nigel Reed on CBC.

Keyvan Heydari is ok I guess. I didnt know that Gol TV always dubs over the spanish commentary. But these Spanish commentators you could hear in the background sound like from the Mexican giant television network, Televisa.

Lastly, if you go to the www.goldcup.org site, and go to calender, at the bottom, it lists all the television partners. Intersting indeed.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

They don't always do it but it happens enough for me to not be surprised.

It's mostly likely one of Univision, Telefutura and Galavision. All three of those have Spanish language coverage and are owned by Univision Communications.

goldcupfirstroundscheducw0.png

Sportsnet's coverage hardly deserves that designation. Only 3 games (all Canada) and only one live to the entire network.

Here's hoping that CBC takes over for WCQ! We didn't get ONE semi-final round away game live in 2004...

It could certainly be better in terms of availability and choice of commentators but we are still getting all the matches available on standard tv packages. The first was only delayed for 2 hours by a TFC match that ended up giving us an unprecedented prime time double header. It was actually live in Atlantic Canada on the standard channel. Our neighbours to the south need to purchase a special channel just to get their own matches.

I prefer Godfrey and James for the analysis but the GolTV announcers leave something to be desired so I have to give the nod to Sportsnet in that regard. I really like what CBC is doing with TFC and their successful bid for the rights to all FIFA events indicates that they are serious about the game in Canada but it will take them a while to become our premiere network for soccer. While we won't preempt Ted's team on Ted's network anytime soon Sportsnet have done a lot more than anyone else for the game over the past few years.

EDIT: I'm watching Mexico vs Hondouras and GolTV has decided to give it to use in Spanish this time but now I can hear the English guys in the next booth over.

The pictures were nice. And to be nice, the announcers were mildly interesting.

But I must say during the Costa Rica-Haiti game, the commentators on GolTV were

VERY entertaining and animated. Quite different from the Canada games.

quote:Originally posted by Splaty

Sportsnet have done a lot more than anyone else for the game over the past few years.

Seeing as they have the rights, it's not like other networks could show Canada games.

Beyond the 2004 WCQ schedule fiasco, I'll remind everyone of the 2003 U20 WC, the 2003 Finland blunder (the ticker result) and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.

Saying "they're better than the others" when there ARE no others is a loser attitude.

I'd like to trace a parallel with Impact TV coverage. When we were getting 5-6 games (some live) and limited coverage on RDS, people were saying "at least they're showing games", but when Radio-Canada took over, with more coverage, higher quality, a critical eye (because RDS was actually getting PAID by the Impact) and some marketing, we realised how bad (or rather how limited) RDS's product was.

When talking about the men's NT's, Sportsnet has shown over and over that they'll only do the bare minimum, and it's time as supporters to stop accepting that.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Beyond the 2004 WCQ schedule fiasco, I'll remind everyone of the 2003 U20 WC, the 2003 Finland blunder (the ticker result) and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.

-- snip --

When talking about the men's NT's, Sportsnet has shown over and over that they'll only do the bare minimum, and it's time as supporters to stop accepting that.

What exactly do you expect them to do? We get Canadian announcers on a channel that most people have and they are showing more NT games than we got before they had the rights.

Do you think CBC will somehow be immune to human error and scheduling conflicts? They've already been hammered by TFC supporters over the handling of a late running hockey game.

Rogers owns the Blue Jays. Rogers owns Sportsnet. The Blue Jays will ALWAYS have priority, no matter the relative importance of the game (see 2006 WCQ) and tomorrow's Haiti matchup. This is my problem with Sportsnet.

CBC also knows how to advertise their properties to grow the sport (and their rating). Sportsnet shows the games and that's it.

Who else is going to take them?

CBC has shown with TFC that they only want weekend games. They would have taken the 'high profile' New York game on Thursday if they wanted to, but they would rather air their regular prime time programming. I expect decent coverage of short running tournaments but random games in on week nights are unlikely to get aired on the main CBC channel.

TSN shows no interest in the game outside of the Champions League. They could get lots of stuff from ESPN but they chose not to. They even stopping showing classic FA Cup matches on espn classic.

GolTV did a good job with Canada vs Hungary and I like Lee Godfrey and Paul James as hosts but they have much more limited reach than the other options.

I'd like to see some sort of split with CBC taking some of the matches that fit their schedule and deserve a higher profile and the friendlies given to GolTV or Sportsnet so we can at least see them.

quote:Originally posted by Mighty_TorontoFC

Don't get Gol, so can't comment, sportsnet is mediocre at best, like why show only Canada's games?

OK Gol may have the rights to Canada , but sportsnet could have pick up a few more games.

Sportsnet could not pick up any more games. GOLTV bought the rights for the entire tournament, but have to show Canada on a 24 hour delay in the group stage, but once the Quarters start every game will be live on GOLTV.

The Jays will bump the Canada game yet again on Sportsnet.

Jays-Washington: around game 60/162 for both teams, who are playing for .476 and .413 respectively.

Meanwhile, a continental quarterfinal gets the back seat.

Anyone still defending Sportsnet?

Have you notice Fox Canada are showing less and less Soccer games? Seem like CTV and Rogers got us fix on their espacialities channel and showing us the finger now. As for Goal TV Pele got alot of explaining to do....

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The Jays will bump the Canada game yet again on Sportsnet.

Jays-Washington: around game 60/162 for both teams, who are playing for .476 and .413 respectively.

Meanwhile, a continental quarterfinal gets the back seat.

Anyone still defending Sportsnet?

I'm pretty sure I've read GOLTV is showing EVERY game LIVE after the group stage, including Canada.

Watched the last game on one of these Chinese internet sends. Just curious if anyone knows whether these are legal broadcasts or the Chinese pirated the signal and added their own commentary? I wonder how many people in China are interested in a Canada-Haiti soccer match? I had the impression that the commentators knew what they were talking about even though I couldn't understand a word of it.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Watched the last game on one of these Chinese internet sends. Just curious if anyone knows whether these are legal broadcasts or the Chinese pirated the signal and added their own commentary?

The source feed is legal, they get most competitions as China is mad for the sport. Redistributing them over the internet however is not.

What is stopping Sportsnet from using the CBC broadcast team for international games? They have an agreement where they share Jim Hughson with Hockey Night in Canada, so having Craig Forrest and Nigel Reed do Canada games for Sportsnet, and TFC games for CBC doesn't seem like it would be impossible.

Archived