Hart to coach at Gold Cup

Bill Spiers

what would make the biggest difference?

an expensive an experience coach without adequate quatity of friendlies due to lack of money or an ok and inexpensive coach that will allow the CSA to provide adequate quatity friendlies to prepare the team?

I always liked Stephen Hart better than Dale for some reason. Dale is not in a different league than Hart. Neither candidate have ever done anything of note really. The coach who does the best in their respective summer Tourney should be the guy to lead this team.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

The coach who does the best in their respective summer Tourney should be the guy to lead this team.

I agree. The Gold Cup and Under-20 WC are the perfect testing grounds. Then, with any luck, this mess will finaly be over.

I always liked Stephen Hart better than Dale for some reason. Dale is not in a different league than Hart. Neither candidate have ever done anything of note really. The coach who does the best in their respective summer Tourney should be the guy to lead this team.

Hart has never qualified his U17's to the FIFA championship. Mitchell has coached his boys to within an overtime goal of reaching the U20 semi's...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Hart has never qualified his U17's to the FIFA championship. Mitchell has coached his boys to within an overtime goal of reaching the U20 semi's...

To be fair to Hart, in 2003 and 2005 the U-17 WC had 16 teams compare to the U-20 WC with 24. Also, let's not forget that in 2003 we were eliminated because of the goal for rule after we finished first in our group with Mexico and CR. In 2005, Hart had to play his third choice and fourth choice keepers due to an injury crisis.

I'm not defending Hart or anything, just want to put thing in perspective here.

Dale Mitchell's teams play with a tactical formation. Every game I have watched of the Men's team under Hart had 11 guys all running in different directions. I like his selections for the most part but he is woefully lacking in coaching skill for an international coach. Mitchell is fully qualified for the position of national team coach even if there are other more qualified individuals available. Hart should not even be in contention for the position as he is woefully underqualified and this shows every time our Men's team plays under him.

I think Hart coaching during the Gold Cup is an indication that Mitchell will take the position once the U-20 is over. I find it totally unacceptable to enter an official tournament like this with an interim coach especially so close to WCQ. I like Mitchell but it is not like Hart is holding the fort because someone like Guus Hiddink will take the position afterwards. This is a new lowpoint in CSA history just when we thought things couldn't get worse.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

I agree. The Gold Cup and Under-20 WC are the perfect testing grounds. Then, with any luck, this mess will finaly be over.

It will be interesting to watch how this scenario pans out. I would think that Mitchell would be under considerably more pressure to succeed because of home field advantage but hopefully he will have his best player pool, barring injuries. I think Hart could be hampered more by potential no shows of first team players, due to injury and/or unsettled club situations, so I am curious to see how things go.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

If Hart and Mitchel are that good, then why aren't they receiving job offers from other countries' national teams.

Do we know that they are not?

Heck, maybe Hart was the favorite for the England job.[:P]

You know, it's tough using some of these Junior tourneys as a testing ground for the MNT.

Prime example is Brian Kerr of the FAI. He led Irish U16 and U18's to the European Championship in the same year.

That was the first ever Euro Championship win for any Irish side at any age, and he did it with two different aged sides in the same year.

His Senior team results weren't up to par though. Kerr was severly criticized for his poor tactical knowledge and his appparent inability to motivate his players, when he had been revered for just those things in his youth sides.

Obviously, at some point successful youth team managers deserve their crack at the big boys but I genuinely didn't feel that this WCQ was the right time for Hart and Mitchell.

Hopefully, whether it's Hart or Mitchell, I am proven wrong and we can be having a disussion as to why it took the CSA so long to promote them to the full team.

Is there any possibility of some arrangement where both are involved with the MNT and at a fraction of the price that Simoes would have cost?

I'm coming around to the idea of having one of these guys in charge if the money saved is used effectively and efficiently elsewhere to support the MNT.

EDIT: I just read the Ottawa Citizen article by Richard Starnes. Even though I feel that things might turn out ok, I was left with a knot in my stomach upon realization of what might have been.

here's the link to that article again

quote:Originally posted by RamR

Is there any possibility of some arrangement where both are involved with the MNT and at a fraction of the price that Simoes would have cost?

I'm coming around to the idea of having one of these guys in charge if the money saved is used effectively and efficiently elsewhere to support the MNT.

EDIT: I just read the Ottawa Citizen article by Richard Starnes. Even though I feel that things might turn out ok, I was left with a knot in my stomach upon realization of what might have been.

here's the link to that article again

I am so totally demoralized right now. This article is like a kick in the groin with steel toe boots. Simoes might not be the world's greatest coach but his plans for the MNT and for Canadian coaching in general is exactly what is needed. I thought this was what Holger was supposed to build but it never really materialized.

Archived