Players expected to show up at Gold Cup

fza

Just for the fun of it I'll try to predict the 18 players will have for the GC:

Keepers: Hirsch and Wagenaar

Defenders: Stalteri, Mckenna, Hainault, Nsaliwa, Kluka, DeJong

Midfielders: DeRo, Hutchinson, Bernier, DeGuzman, Simpson, Brennan

Forwards: Hume, Issey, Radz, Friend, Occean

I've mentioned this before, but if some of the top players stopped showing up for the National Team until the CSA got themselves sorted out, maybe things might change.

Imagine Stalteri, Radzinski, and De Rosario in front of a microphone much like Hartley, Pressley, and Gordon did at Hearts.

Maybe all the players should not show up to play for Canada until the CSA shows accountabity in this boondoggle of an organization.

Time for the CSA BOD to resign over the Simoes boondoogle. A lost opportunity for Soccer in the country for sure and I am sure Colin Lindford is probably banging his head on the wall with all the nincompoops that is running the Board.

quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

Maybe all the players should not show up to play for Canada until the CSA shows accountabity in this boondoggle of an organization.

Time for the CSA BOD to resign over the Simoes boondoogle. A lost opportunity for Soccer in the country for sure and I am sure Colin Lindford is probably banging his head on the wall with all the nincompoops that is running the Board.

I actually encourage all MNT players to refuse to participate in the Gold Cup. Frankly, there is no point in participating in this tournament at this time. Despite the reality that we have a relatively talented pool of players, I don't foresee any way that we qualify for WC2010. Not a single building block is in place with less than a year before qualifying begins.

It is a sad state of affairs right now. I feel for the players, first and foremost. They must just want to hide their Canada jerseys deep in their closets when they hear about what is going on with the CSA. Now you understand why talented players choose to turn their backs on Canada and suit up for other countries. I don't like it but I am starting to understand why it happens. It is embarrasing for a professional footballer to be affiliated with the CSA and their unbelievable level of unprofessionalism.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I don't foresee any way that we qualify for WC2010.

There's the door.

I cheer for Canada and Canada's players. I don't boycott national team games and frankly find your proposition offensive from a fan's point of view.

It would be nice if some of the senior players would criticize the CSA openly for their recent actions but any player boycott would be counterproductive. There is no reason for fans to stop supporting the team. If we do qualify for the WC we certainly wouldn't be the first nation to do so despite an incompetent federation. We have good enough players to qualify in my point of view and there is at least a decent chance that we can qualify depite the CSA and even if we don't have the best coach. A real fan supports the team no matter what.

I personally think it woould be GREAT to have a few of the high-profile guys step up and say something in the defense of the future of Canadian soccer. It would have to be guys like Stalteri and DDR and Radz who still have high profiles but who also risk very little professionally by speaking their minds. Seriously, I think it is high time for somebody with a vested interest to try something. We know these guys care - they have put their injuries, wives, children, day-jobs on the backburner at various times for this program. It's time for one last sacrifice. A boycott wouldn't accomplish much, I agree, but on the other hand I also agree that our participation at the Gold Cup too is bordering on pointless (given the need to look beyond to WCQ), something I never thought I would say as a MNT fan. We need something miraculous at this point to salvage the next five years IMHO - it's THAT critical.

Although it is a month away from the roster being made, I do have some guesses. First no U-20's, second none of DeGuzeman, Radzinski or Stalteri (long season, out of contract and injury recuperation) finally the '03 and '05 U-20s will be the heart of the team with a few veterans added in. Marginal players are more likely to come from North America than from Scandinavia.

Keepers: Hischfeld, Wagonaar;

Defenders: Nsaliwa, Mckenna, Hainault, Klukowski, Braz and Gervais;

Mids: Bernier, Hutchinson, DeRosario, Simpson, Brennan, Ledgerwood and Harmse;

Forwards: Hume and Friend.

That is 17, the I'm not sure who I like as the extra striker. We'll get Lars or Sutton, not both. I don't think too many TFC players will be selected so I've only picked two (maybe substitute Reda for Brennan). The squad this fall when real jockeying for position in WC qualifing begins will be different.

quote:Originally posted by ken

Marginal players are more likely to come from North America than from Scandinavia.

What? Could we see the return of Patrik Leduc? ;)

Seriously, I agree with your point of view. I could see a number of players declining invitations due to unsettled club situations and/or injuries.

Guest speedmonk42

Holy Christ.... Boycott the Gold Cup?

We need the best team on the field we have.

Getting annihilated is not going to help us or the CSA change things.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Boycott the Gold Cup?

We need the best team on the field we have.

Getting annihilated is not going to help us or the CSA change things.

I agree 100%. I don't get what throwing away a chance at the Confederations Cup (however slim it might be) would do. Who knows what might happen if Canada gets a little luck this summer? Maybe JDG2 would chose to put on the Red and White. You just never know what might happen when the ball is round.

The Players, like Hart and Mitchell, are in an ackward situation here. They need to look after what's best for them. I hope that means doing the best they can for Canada.

From a player point of view, our situation has been and continues to improve. The thing that attracted some of these foreign coaches to Canadian soccer was not the money. It was the developing talent and the opportunity that it creates for a Coach. The developing talent is still here.

The issue with the CSA is not unique around the world. Simoes would know that better than anyone. In fact, the Cartolas of Flamengo would make the CSA snakes look like a kindergarten class. The sad thing for me is that I thought my country's national association was above that.

As an MNT fan I think these players should get vocal in the media about the sad state of affairs in the CSA, but not boycott matches. Do we really need another excuse not to qualify for a world cup ie not playing enough together? If the CSA can find a way to blame future failure on some protest by the players it just gives them an easy out.

As an MNT fan I think these players should get vocal in the media about the sad state of affairs in the CSA, but not boycott matches. Do we really need another excuse not to qualify for a world cup ie not playing enough together? If the CSA can find a way to blame future failure on some protest by the players it just gives them an easy out.

Guest Jeffery S.

As I have stated elsewhere, with Depor certainly out of the Cup final and with nothing to play for in the league, there is no reason not to call in Julian.

As his coach and the club president may be changing this summer anyways, his being away for the last weeks of the season will go unnoticed in Coruña, where his good run over the first months of 2007 has vindicated his place on the squad.

Archived