ASA Announcement

River City

The Alberta Soccer Association has scheduled a press conference for next Tuesday to announce their work on bringing professional soccer back to Alberta.

My totally uneducated guess is that they're partnering with the CSL. But, they might have found people willing to invest in the USL. And I remember Joe Petrone saying MLS would work in Edmonton. Interesting stuff...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.....just off the wires, the ASA is merely hosting the press conference and inviting the media. The announcement itself will be made by a third party who approached the ASA and asked for assistance.

Still no idea on what it is, but I wouldn't put my money on USL or MLS.

On Cooks' Calgary soccer forum, there is a thread about this. One of the messages has a link to an ASA agenda:

http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=532&mforum=calgarysoccer

My guess is that they are going to break off the most successful AMSL clubs that want to go further and become pro, combined with a couple of new owners. It's probably going to look something like the CPSL does, but hopefully it can grow into something more.

Jason

Professional soccer set to return to City of Champions, Western Canada?

By DEREK VAN DIEST, CP AND AP, EDMONTON SUN

Edmonton may get another kick at a professional soccer.

A media conference has been scheduled for Tuesday to announce plans for bringing pro soccer back to Western Canada.

Although it has not been confirmed, it is speculated a group of private investors in Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg will unveil plans to start up a semi-professional league similar to the Canadian Soccer League, which operates in Ontario and Quebec.

"I don't know who is behind this," said John Pino, deputy executive director of the Alberta Soccer Association. "From what I gather, though, they wouldn't have called a media conference if something wasn't in the works."

A similar press conference has been planned for Calgary that same day.

The CSL out East, previously known as the Canadian Professional Soccer League, is made up of teams in Ontario, Quebec and ethnic clubs in Toronto.

Their 22-game regular-league schedule runs from mid-May to the end of September.

"Any provincial association would be happy to have a professional sports team," Pino said. "Then their youth would have something to play somewhere.

"I think there is a market here. I don't think it would affect soccer in the city. It would only enhance it if it's done properly and marketed correctly."

Professional soccer teams have come and gone in Edmonton.

The most recent was the disaster known as the Edmonton Aviators, whose investors pulled out midway through the United Soccer League's A-League season forcing the league to take over the team.

There have also been a couple of re-incarnations of the Edmonton Drillers.

Ross Ongaro, who coached both the indoor Drillers and the Aviators was not aware of any professional endeavor and is not involved in this one.

He is currently operating the soccer academy out of Archbishop O'Leary.

"I think there is a niche for professional soccer here, but there has to be boundaries," Pino said. "My personal belief is if there are boundaries and the teams are close in proximity, then it can run.

"Even when the (indoor) Drillers were here in 1996 to 2000, they had 13,000 for their home opener. And there was always 6,000-10,000 people in the building. If you keep it local talent, you have to stay local.

"Edmonton is a sports town and they'll support it as long as it's a winning product and there's local talent."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/01/19/3406390-sun.html

Here come the Drillers -- again

With some familiar names and a charity game in March, a new four-team Western Canadian indoor soccer league looks for a toehold

Dan Barnes, The Edmonton Journal

Published: Friday, January 19, 2007

Professional indoor soccer has its foot in the door again.

A modest Western Canada-based league, which includes a revival of the Edmonton Drillers, will be formally announced at a press conference here on Tuesday.

This latest soccer venture is the brainchild of Mel Kowalchuk, known more for his decades-long involvement in AAA baseball with the Edmonton Trappers of the Pacific Coast League. However, he was also general manager of the Edmonton Drillers of the National Professional Soccer League in the 1990s when former Trappers and Oilers owner Peter Pocklington included the team in his sports stable.

Kowalchuk will be president of the four-team league and may also be a part-owner of a Saskatoon franchise.

Chris Baker fronts a Calgary group and former NHL player and head coach Bill Stewart owns a Winnipeg team. The Edmonton franchise is headed by optometrist and philanthropist Dr. Brent Saik, who said the league's modest ideals attracted him to ownership.

"I'm not going to bring in another team and go down the road we've been down before.

"We said let's just have a little showcase and next year maybe a couple of games. We basically want something for the kids to aspire to," he said.

"I bought the old Drillers. It's a four-team league and the other teams are doing their own ideas. We're going to have one game for charity. The money goes back to Alberta soccer. I'm trying to hunt down as many of the old Driller players as I can and they're going to play."

The previous incarnation of the indoor Drillers was owned by Wojtek Wojcicki, played in the NPSL and folded in 2000.

The charity game is slated for Rexall Place March 18 when Saik's new Drillers will play against the Calgary franchise.

Saik said his team will also travel to Calgary, Saskatoon and Winnipeg in mid-March and April.

He said the other centres might be hosting tournaments rather than one-off games. He also said Kowalchuk purchased an indoor carpet for the league which will be used at each venue, in order to cut costs.

"My budget is about $100,000 for one game," said Saik. "We, that's myself and the guys who are helping me out, already have the money in the bank. We're going to play the game."

Rumour has it former Oiler and current Montreal Canadiens defenceman Janne Niinimaa is a silent partner in the Edmonton franchise. Reached Thursday in Atlanta, Niinimaa said he has been friends with Saik for years but denied involvement in the team.

"I can't talk about it. Call Mr. Saik. He's the mastermind."

The eventual hope is the league catches on and takes its act outdoors, perhaps by 2009.

Bob Lenarduzzi, director of soccer operations for the Vancouver Whitecaps, said Kowalchuk approached him with the idea months ago.

"What he was looking for at that time was the anchor groups," said Lenarduzzi.

"We didn't get involved because we're so focused on the outdoor game right now. It wasn't as though we were put off by his proposal. We just want to get the outdoor game going."

That said, Lenarduzzi believes indoor soccer can succeed at a modest level of financial commitment.

"If you can minimize costs and make budgets reasonable, there is a chance to succeed. The markets that have the adverse climates in winter months are suited to it."

He has faith in Kowalchuk's ability to make it work, based on his business acumen and experience.

"I think Mel has a pretty good background in the game. He was involved with both outdoor and indoor. He's aware of what the pitfalls are. He knows he's got to make sure the budgets aren't out of whack."

dbarnes@thejournal.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=30dca2ed-4d86-4627-9f9b-2d15e7827a68

This whole story has me thinking. Can this be the beginning of a new CPSL cross Canada (sea-to-sea) semi-professional league (that's if they decide to take the league towards the out-door scene)??? There has always been talk about such a project, but had never managed to get-off the ground. I'm wondering what CPSL Commissioner Cary Kaplan has to say about all this. Do you think he knows something that he's not telling us???

Indoor soccer simply doesn't interest me. I liked the idea of a semi pro league for western Canada, ideally linked informally with the CSL, so that there can be some sort of semi-pro national champion crowned each year. I would bet that the Whitecaps would have been willing to field a development team to play in that type of league. However, i just don't see the purpose of an indoor league. Hopefully these guys will eventualy run a summer, outdoor league as well.

Indoor soccer simply doesn't interest me. I liked the idea of a semi pro league for western Canada, ideally linked informally with the CSL, so that there can be some sort of semi-pro national champion crowned each year. I would bet that the Whitecaps would have been willing to field a development team to play in that type of league. However, i just don't see the purpose of an indoor league. Hopefully these guys will eventualy run a summer, outdoor league as well.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

What a downer. Why is the ASA even associating itself with this when it clearly isn't the same game that is known around the world. Indoor soccer maybe intertaining to watch but the skills and development do not transcend each other.

This illustrates what wrong with the game of soccer in this country, some people ( mostly outside of the three major urban centres) just cant see the difference and don't get it. Thats why I pull my punches and, can at times, appear to be defensive of the national body. The national bodies are at the mercy of these provincial bodies and these provincial bodies just dont even know what soccer is. Clearly they cant distinguish between the real game and the hockey derivative. I'll say this, at least the CSA, by the sounds of it, knows the difference.

Just is just further evidence of why that mythical pan-canadian league will never work. Simply, there are too many people outside of the three big urban centres who just dont get it.

Well said Free Kick. This is a step backward for soccer in Canada rather than a positive step.

We need a professional team (USL preferably) in the prairies to eventually aspire to MLS status joining TFC, Vancouver and Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

What a downer. Why is the ASA even associating itself with this when it clearly isn't the same game that is known around the world. Indoor soccer maybe intertaining to watch but the skills and development do not transcend each other.

This illustrates what wrong with the game of soccer in this country, some people ( mostly outside of the three major urban centres) just cant see the difference and don't get it. Thats why I pull my punches and, can at times, appear to be defensive of the national body. The national bodies are at the mercy of these provincial bodies and these provincial bodies just dont even know what soccer is. Clearly they cant distinguish between the real game and the hockey derivative. I'll say this, at least the CSA, by the sounds of it, knows the difference.

Just is just further evidence of why that mythical pan-canadian league will never work. Simply, there are too many people outside of the three big urban centres who just dont get it.

I know Winnipeg has been contacted, and they are looking at booking dates for the MTS against a local all-star Winnipeg team.

I echo Free Kick's sentiments, and I have no desire to see this crap they call indoor soccer.

I'm disappointed in that it isn't an outdoor soccer league or even an outdoor USL team.

However, I think the idea is to build on something that has worked in the past, with a GM that does have experience and an owner (or more) that does have some cash. Rather than jump into something big head first, they have chosen (by the sounds of it) to go along an exhibition level format and then hopefully translate that into something bigger.

I'll buy tickets as they become available.

quote:Originally posted by River City

I'm disappointed in that it isn't an outdoor soccer league or even an outdoor USL team.

Rather than jump into something big head first, they have chosen (by the sounds of it) to go along an exhibition level format and then hopefully translate that into something bigger.

Every indoor league in the past has said they want to eventually work towards an outdoor league. It never happens.

Why not start the exhibition level format for a potential soccer league, as opposed to arean ball ?

I must also say this was a letdown.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Every indoor league in the past has said they want to eventually work towards an outdoor league. It never happens.

Why not start the exhibition level format for a potential soccer league, as opposed to arean ball ?

I agree, but, I think that indoor soccer is seen as a gimmick by everybody. Outdoor soccer is "serious" sport. I think this type of exhibition games/tournaments are a much easier sell not just to fans, but also to players, if they are indoor soccer as opposed to "real soccer".

ALL the elite amateur footie players in Winnipeg play some form of indoor soccer during the winter, hardcourt futsal or the boarded indoor variety. Some prefer futsal, others like the more athletic indoor. Just a matter of personal preference I guess.

But *YUCK* this is pretty gimmicky. If it comes off I’ll go. It’s going to cost what? $15? Big deal. I’ll go BECAUSE it is gimmicky.

This little exercise (hopefully) has very little to do with developing an indoor flatlander league and more to do with getting interested football parties in Calgary, Edmonton, Saskabush and Winnipeg talking and dealing with each other. Interested parties with money, that is.

And that has to be a good thing.

P.S. This is a great time for me to mention I'm still surprised there isn't an elite regional amateur league out "our" way (AB-SK-MB).

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

This little exercise (hopefully) has very little to do with developing an indoor flatlander league and more to do with getting interested football parties in Calgary, Edmonton, Saskabush and Winnipeg talking and dealing with each other. Interested parties with money, that is.

My understanding is that this is an attempt to form an indoor league.

IMHO, Comments about 'hoping to form an outdoor league in a few years' is nothing more than lip service. We have heard this many times before.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Well said Free Kick. This is a step backward for soccer in Canada rather than a positive step.

We need a professional team (USL preferably) in the prairies to eventually aspire to MLS status joining TFC, Vancouver and Montreal.

How can it be a step backward? How many soccer players on the prairies were paid to pay this year? It's more than what we have right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly thrilled with this announcement. It definitely did not meet my expectations, but maybe it could develop into something. It's still better to plant the seed in a poor circumstance than to not plant it at all. Also, we aren't blessed with a huge amount of options on the horizon.

Jason

Archived