ASA Announcement

River City

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I don't think you should be trying to confuse the issue of the Winnipeg Fury starting in the CSL, to this latest indoor venture. They are two completely different sports.

As a former season-ticket holder of the Winnipeg Fury, I certainly was not complaining when the Fury brought in more talented Canadian players to the squad. Winnipeg in the early years was clearly out of it's league on the field. The vast majority of local players that donned the Fury jersey simply could not compete with the best in Canada. As long as the players were Canadian, it did not bother me where they came from. And it's no surprise that when the Fury won the CSL Championship in 1992, there were only a few local players that saw the field (and that was after 6 years of development at the higher level).

Furthermore, as a soccer supporter, and as someone that would gladly buy multiple season tickets (as I did with the Fury) whether I want to watch indoor soccer is the question. I am a soccer fan and would gladly support any professional soccer venture in Winnipeg. Obviously this is not soccer, and the Winnipeg Fury did not charge ticket prices that were more expensive than the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL.

Respectfully,

I'm not confused. Again, in order to start up any kind of franchise, the cheapest way to do it in Canada is with local players which is no different than when the Fury started, nor will it be any different for any 'future' franchise looking to to start up in WPG/CGY/EDM etc. in the future (indoor or outdoor).

So (again) ignoring your distaste for indoor soccer, you will have to get over the fact that you will have to pay to watch local players play when normally, you wouldn't.

Furthermore, if you don't care for indoor soccer, I question why you follow this thread? It's similar to me skipping certain sections in the newspaper. I have no interest... therefore I don't read that section.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to start up WWIII here. I simply don't agree with the logic that soccer fans in this city should forego support of the franchise because of the 'local' element to the player roster. I'll be the first to admit we don't have 15 players who can compete at an A-League level, but I'm sure we have at least 3-5 who can.

Cheers.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by curtwpg

Although this indoor venture may not be the ideal soccer venture for Winnipeg, it might very well be used as a gauge of Winnipegger's enthusiasm for higher level soccer altogether (indoor and out).

For example, if 4,000-5,000 people show up to watch indoor soccer, local entrepreneurs, or non-local for that matter, may say: "there may be a market for soccer (indoor and/or outdoor) in this town - I'm going to consider investing." Alternatively, if 1,000 people show up this would also send a message; a negative one.

In the big picture, this is an opportunity for the Winnipeg soccer community to come together to show an interest in professional soccer in Winnipeg. To dismiss this as a money grab (which is laughable considering the cost to rent the MTS Centre) and not outdoor soccer is to not see the forest for the trees.

Quite simply, $20 is a pittance for most people and is even more irrelevant when one considers the message we will send if we don't support an attempt to, once again, bring pro soccer to the city.

This is not soccer, so it has nothing to do with the soccer community. The Winnipeg Fury had the second highest attendance in the CSL and soccer at the Pan-Am Games was the best attended sport.

Does the NHL support Field Hockey ? No, because they are 2 different sports.

Perhaps if 1000 people attend, it will send the message that Winnipeg wants soccer, not arena ball ?

quote:Originally posted by wpgscrfan

Respectfully,

I'm not confused. Again, in order to start up any kind of franchise, the cheapest way to do it in Canada is with local players which is no different than when the Fury started, nor will it be any different for any 'future' franchise looking to to start up in WPG/CGY/EDM etc. in the future (indoor or outdoor).

So (again) ignoring your distaste for indoor soccer, you will have to get over the fact that you will have to pay to watch local players play when normally, you wouldn't.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to start up WWIII here. I simply don't agree with the logic that soccer fans in this city should forego support of the franchise because of the 'local' element to the player roster. I'll be the first to admit we don't have 15 players who can compete at an A-League level, but I'm sure we have at least 3-5 who can.

Cheers.

I have no problem paying to watch local guys play soccer. That's why I was a season-ticket holder with the Winnipeg Fury (how about you?). Buit since this is not soccer, then I do have a problem with it.

So we MAY have 3 guys capable of playing USL First Division ? So essentially this is the quality of a PDL team, bouncing balls off walls, charging Major League Soccer prices.

What a joke....

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

This is not soccer, so it has nothing to do with the soccer community. The Winnipeg Fury had the second highest attendance in the CSL and soccer at the Pan-Am Games was the best attended sport.

Does the NHL support Field Hockey ? No, because they are 2 different sports.

Perhaps if 1000 people attend, it will send the message that Winnipeg wants soccer, not arena ball ?

I wonder what all those indoor soccer players do during the summer? Wouldn't it be neat if they came and played with me and my friends who play outdoor soccer. They would have to learn to kick the ball so differently? How could they ever control an outdoor soccer ball? They would learn in time. I would be glad to teach them to head the ball. By the third season we'd probably allow them to throw the ball in.

I think you get my point. Fury please join the real world.

I wonder what all those indoor soccer players do during the summer? Wouldn't it be neat if they came and played with me and my friends who play outdoor soccer. They would have to learn to kick the ball so differently? How could they ever control an outdoor soccer ball? They would learn in time. I would be glad to teach them to head the ball. By the third season we'd probably allow them to throw the ball in.

I think you get my point. Fury please join the real world.

Sorry, but in the real soccer world, balls aren't bounced off boards.

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

Calgary's tickets are $19.95 (which I think is a bit steep, to begin with).

Edmonton's are $30.50????? What's up with that?

I e-mailed Gerry Prince about that and it seems to do with the cost of renting Rexall Place compared to the other facilities.

Who in their right mind is going to pay that to see the locals that they can see for free every week play the neighbouring city's locals who get seen for free every week?

Location. Try and get to a lot of the facilities that the locals team. A lot of people aren't going to waste time driving out to the club fields to watch the game. Most people for this game will probley leave their cars at home and take the bus and LRT to the game.

For former England/Scotland/Manchester Utd./Liverpool greats, sure. But to spend three times more per match than it cost to see a professional USL matchup, that's asking a bit much.

Try comparing that to other sporting events in the city. $30 won't get me into the best seats at an Edmonton Rush game (Rush Terrace and teh lower bowl).

It is kind of surprise how much Rush tickets are, I think they top out around $45, and it's at least $30 to sit anywhere in the lower bowl. Second deck isn't as bad though, tickets can be had in from $15 (and up). They don't seem to have a problem getting crowds though, so I guess it works for them.

I still think charging $30 for general admission is too steep... especially when they are only charging 8.75 for kids. When people look at those price points they're going to be put of by the contrast.

I think it would have been wise just to break adult tickets lower and upper bowl prices.... charge 30-35 for the prime seats, and 19.75 (gotta keep it under $20 for cosmetic purposes ;) ) for the second deck. At least that way the consumer sees a progression, and kind of gives you a foot in the door.

Well for those of you who want to kill this league off, I have myself to point to as a reason for this league. I will be the first to tell you I am not a soccer fan nor am I a player, but I will be in the stands for the Accelerators game. Why? I am a) curious about this project and B) I am supporter of professional sports in Saskatoon. There were a few pro baseball games I've been to where I was the only person in the stands without a personal connection to anyone playing.

Now even if the CMISL doesn't attract a single hardcore soccer fan, but brings in 5,000 fans of sports, it will still be a success. Consequently, when the outdoor portion of the league kicks off, these same fans who aren't hardcore soccer fans will follow that team. Besides, at least in Saskatoon, I would hazard a guess that there are maybe 1,000 hardcore soccer fans, the rest of the crowd will be made up of dads and their sons and people like me.

For the record I think bouncing the balls off the walls is a great innovation. I'm also someone, you won't be able to say but you say this variation of sport x is bad. I like unusual sports, I supported the pro roller hockey games that came into Saskatoon. I was behind the failed NAIFL, arena football league, that tried to come here and I will be behind the Accelerators. Which is a dumb name but has a connection to Saskatoon.

Well... we're a week away from game one and as far as I can there hasn't been a whole lot of anything going on concerning this thing. My expectations weren't real high to begin with... but c'mon, there isn't even ticket info on the league website.

There isn't a whole lot to be feeling optimistic about at this point...

quote:Originally posted by Shootmaster_44

Well for those of you who want to kill this league off, I have myself to point to as a reason for this league. I will be the first to tell you I am not a soccer fan nor am I a player, but I will be in the stands for the Accelerators game. Why? I am a) curious about this project and B) I am supporter of professional sports in Saskatoon. There were a few pro baseball games I've been to where I was the only person in the stands without a personal connection to anyone playing.

Now even if the CMISL doesn't attract a single hardcore soccer fan, but brings in 5,000 fans of sports, it will still be a success. Consequently, when the outdoor portion of the league kicks off, these same fans who aren't hardcore soccer fans will follow that team. Besides, at least in Saskatoon, I would hazard a guess that there are maybe 1,000 hardcore soccer fans, the rest of the crowd will be made up of dads and their sons and people like me.

For the record I think bouncing the balls off the walls is a great innovation. I'm also someone, you won't be able to say but you say this variation of sport x is bad. I like unusual sports, I supported the pro roller hockey games that came into Saskatoon. I was behind the failed NAIFL, arena football league, that tried to come here and I will be behind the Accelerators. Which is a dumb name but has a connection to Saskatoon.

IMO, you're actually an excellent example of who this league should be targeting... casual sports fans.

Soccer players... don't necessarily equal soccer fans. Especially considering they're largely kids to begin with, and as far as I'm concerned if you're going to market something, marketing to people not spending their own money nor capable of even getting themselves to the games... isn't a real good idea.

Soccer purists... yeah... they want no part of it. And fair enough... if you go in wanting outdoor soccer, you aren't going to like it.

Don't sell it as soccer at all... sell it as sports and/or entertainment. That's what it is, and that's how you have to sell it.

quote:Originally posted by Kevin McMillan

Well... we're a week away from game one and as far as I can there hasn't been a whole lot of anything going on concerning this thing. My expectations weren't real high to begin with... but c'mon, there isn't even ticket info on the league website.

There isn't a whole lot to be feeling optimistic about at this point...

Yeah I'm not entirely sure why they haven't been putting updates on the league's website. However, all their press conferences and announcements to the media never direct anyone to their website. They direct people to Ticketmaster's website. Though, I'm guessing once games kick off they will start updating the web site. I have to admit they've done a reasonably good job for a league that intended to play its games 2 months after creating the league.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure why they haven't been putting updates on the league's website. However, all their press conferences and announcements to the media never direct anyone to their website. They direct people to Ticketmaster's website. Though, I'm guessing once games kick off they will start updating the web site. I have to admit they've done a reasonably good job for a league that intended to play its games 2 months after creating the league.

I think you're confusing the league being made public with it being "created".

They already had dates booked, ownership lined up, financing secured, and "5,000 man hours have been put into developing the league."

This was months in the making before it was announced... and as such it's more than a little alarming how many of the little things (and not so little things) that have been overlooked.

The next week will tell, as we'll see if maybe they have a media blitz in the works... but the closer we get to the games, the more likely it seems the only way they'll draw a crowd is to paper the house.

I think you're confusing the league being made public with it being "created".

They already had dates booked, ownership lined up, financing secured, and "5,000 man hours have been put into developing the league."

This was months in the making before it was announced... and as such it's more than a little alarming how many of the little things (and not so little things) that have been overlooked.

The next week will tell, as we'll see if maybe they have a media blitz in the works... but the closer we get to the games, the more likely it seems the only way they'll draw a crowd is to paper the house.

You're probably right. I'm used to the leagues that seem to put up a website first and then organize the league. Apparently from what I've seen online the Calgary game should be alright. The game I would be most worried about is the Saskatoon game. Even the fly-by-night leagues such as the NAIFL and the various hockey leagues that have tried to set up shop, have gotten more press than this has. Since I am not involved with local soccer at all, perhaps they have been sending out flyers to the coaches and cutting deals such as 2 for 1 coupons and such. I remember the Toronto Raptors did that when they held a preseason basketball game here in Saskatoon.

The smartest idea would be to put up posters all over the U of S. I can't believe the amount of people who seem to follow soccer around that campus. Whenever a game is on TSN on a weekday afternoon, the big TV in the student centre is crowded around by it seems 250 people some days. So I mean yes 250 people won't pack the house. But if they do what I always do and that's drag my buddy to all these games, then we could see 1,000 students show up at the CUC. (Sometimes I feel bad for my buddy, he has little interest in some of these fly-by-night leagues, but always comes along with me as its something different to do.)

I was at the Peter Hemmingway pool tonight and they had Joe FM on in the weight room downstairs. They were promoting the game and the fact that tickets were avaliable through minor soccer office (The three ticket deal) and through Ticketmaster.

Also having ads in the Edmonton Sun promoting the same thing.

I was on the phone with Tickmaster late last night, purchasing my Social Distortion tickets.

I casualy asked if they 'had sold a few hundred tickets yet for Winnipeg's home game.' I was told that 'it was not even close to 300. Maybe a hundred.'

Please put this abortion out of it's misery quickly.

Article from today's Winnipeg Free Press:

Sport unites behind new kick at pro soccer in city

Fri Mar 9 2007

By Chris Cariou

MANITOBA'S soccer community -- or at least the people who run a sport that has some 20,000 registered participants -- rallied around businessman Bill Stewart and his proposed new soccer franchise Thursday, a team now officially dubbed the Winnipeg Alliance Football Club.

"One of the things we decided in coming here to town was we needed to form an alliance with not just some of the soccer community but with all of the soccer community, so... the idea of having the team be called the Alliance was something that was important to us in trying to stick with what we decided to do when we came to the market," Stewart said.

With an exhibition game slated against the Edmonton Drillers for April 1 at MTS Centre, the club unveiled a European-style team logo at a press conference and put some faces in its brand-new mostly blue (road) and white (home) jerseys with members of the Manitoba Soccer Association and its men's, women's and youth branches on hand in a show of support.

And Stewart, now based in Colorado but originally from The Pas, will need all the support that alliance might provide. As of Thursday, about 400 tickets had been sold for the game, although pledges from the Winnipeg Youth Soccer Association and the Phoenix Soccer Club will boost that total to about 1,000 by this weekend.

There are hopes for between 4,000-5,000 fans for the game. An announcement expected next week will trumpet the signing of a few pro players for the team, but it will mostly be a roster of some of the province's best amateur players.

Professional soccer has been tried before in Winnipeg and eventually failed. But this is the indoor game and there was optimism Thursday that soccer fans will come out and support the April 1 game so that more friendlies can be held in 2008 leading into a planned 2009 season featuring teams from Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton and Calgary.

"We're appealing to the soccer community and every kid who's playing soccer, there's lots of them playing," said Alliance co-coach Walt McKee. "They need to get their parents to come out and see soccer played at a very high, quick, fast pace in an arena that is very similar to hockey."

McKee said he and co-coach Chic Devenney will be cutting their roster from the current 25 local players to 18 on Sunday. Next week, he said, they expect to announce the signing of two or three pro players who are currently playing elsewhere in North America and other countries.

chris.cariou@freepress.mb.ca

A franchise is born

New logo: European design, with Maple Leaf, soccer ball. New jerseys: White (home) and blue (road) uniforms.

New league: Canadian Major Indoor Soccer League, to open in 2009 if showcase series exhibitions in 2007, 2008 succeed.

Other teams: Edmonton Drillers, Calgary United F.C., Saskatoon Accelerators.

First Alliance road game: Friday, March 23, in Saskatoon.

First Alliance home game: Sunday, April 1, 2 p.m., MTS Centre vs. Edmonton

Tickets: Check tickets page on website (www.cimsl.com) or call Ticketmaster.

IMO, you're actually an excellent example of who this league should be targeting... casual sports fans.

Soccer players... don't necessarily equal soccer fans. Especially considering they're largely kids to begin with, and as far as I'm concerned if you're going to market something, marketing to people not spending their own money nor capable of even getting themselves to the games... isn't a real good idea.

Soccer purists... yeah... they want no part of it. And fair enough... if you go in wanting outdoor soccer, you aren't going to like it.

Don't sell it as soccer at all... sell it as sports and/or entertainment. That's what it is, and that's how you have to sell it.

I have long advocated trying to sell soccer to sports fans as opposed to kids or specific ethnic groups. However, this is not the CMISL plan. A ticket in Calgary was $23 at the gate for an adult general admission but $28 for an adult and a child combined.

Jason

Although this indoor venture may not be the ideal soccer venture for Winnipeg, it might very well be used as a gauge of Winnipegger's enthusiasm for higher level soccer altogether (indoor and out).

For example, if 4,000-5,000 people show up to watch indoor soccer, local entrepreneurs, or non-local for that matter, may say: "there may be a market for soccer (indoor and/or outdoor) in this town - I'm going to consider investing." Alternatively, if 1,000 people show up this would also send a message; a negative one.

In the big picture, this is an opportunity for the Winnipeg soccer community to come together to show an interest in professional soccer in Winnipeg. To dismiss this as a money grab (which is laughable considering the cost to rent the MTS Centre) and not outdoor soccer is to not see the forest for the trees.

Quite simply, $20 is a pittance for most people and is even more irrelevant when one considers the message we will send if we don't support an attempt to, once again, bring pro soccer to the city.

I would mostly agree with this. These test games are, IMO, essentially trying to prove to people such as potential corporate sponsors that there is a market for the game and it's worth investing part of their marketing budgets in. I thought tonight's game in Calgary showed to me that there are about 2000 hard-core soccer fans in the city. When the A-League clubs in Calgary were doing poorly, the numbers dwindled to 1000-1500 to watch a bad club. When the PDL Storm was dominant, there were 2500 or so watching games. A lot of these fans are friends and family of players, or die-hard supporters of the soccer community. It's not a bad base to build from, but it's really hard to know where it will go. After seeing the game today, I would say that it showed that there is a possibility that a soccer team can work in Calgary, and that's not a bad thing.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I would mostly agree with this. These test games are, IMO, essentially trying to prove to people such as potential corporate sponsors that there is a market for the game and it's worth investing part of their marketing budgets in. I thought tonight's game in Calgary showed to me that there are about 2000 hard-core soccer fans in the city. When the A-League clubs in Calgary were doing poorly, the numbers dwindled to 1000-1500 to watch a bad club. When the PDL Storm was dominant, there were 2500 or so watching games. A lot of these fans are friends and family of players, or die-hard supporters of the soccer community. It's not a bad base to build from, but it's really hard to know where it will go. After seeing the game today, I would say that it showed that there is a possibility that a soccer team can work in Calgary, and that's not a bad thing.

Jason

Out of curiosity, what were the scores? How did the quality of play look?

Out of curiosity, what were the scores? How did the quality of play look?

There's a lot more info in the other thread but the scoreline was Calgary 5 Edmonton 1 then Edmonton 2 Calgary 0. Edmonton won the tie-breaking shootout.

Quality of play was okay I guess. I don't really have a good reference point as I have not been to an indoor game before. It did improve as the game went along as the players became more familiar with each other and the game itself.

Jason

Archived