ASA Announcement

River City

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These "people in the know" could just be jealous that they are not involved. I've seen it many times where people try to tear something down because they are not involved, only to turn around and try and create the exact same thing later when they are involved.

Looking at the bios on the league site, it doesn't look like any of them actually have enough money of their own to invest. I guess that's why they've set-up the schedule as they have so they can "prove" it works and get investors on board.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

These "people in the know" could just be jealous that they are not involved. I've seen it many times where people try to tear something down because they are not involved, only to turn around and try and create the exact same thing later when they are involved.

:D

What?

Everybody in Winnipeg's soccer community gets along famously well. It's very touching really.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Kowalchuk has stated that he would buy a new carpet and use it in all the venues as a cost reduction.

Certainly would be in contact with the people who make the turf for the NLL.

That's a relief!

I had assumed they'd be shipping the turf around at least for this year... considering the budgets at play, buying four new turfs would have eaten up most of the budgets for each team... not to mention being foolish to make that kind of investment for test matches.

Actually it's quite conventient considering the Edmonton team is playing in all the games, they could just bus it around with them.

From that bastion of quality reporting, the same paper that called David Suzuki a hypocrite for touring the country in a bus:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/02/23/3657519-sun.html

Open tryouts for new soccer team

The Winnipeg franchise in the new Canadian Major Indoor Soccer League will hold an open tryout tomorrow at 6 a.m., at the Coverall Indoor Centre in Headingley.

The players will have the opportunity to demonstrate their soccer abilities in front of the coaching staff. The tryout will consist of a fitness test and small sided games. Players are required to bring appropriate indoor equipment including t-shirt, shorts and indoor shoes.

Successful participants will be asked back for an invited tryout on Sunday, along with players pre-selected by their teams/clubs and confirmed by the CMISL-Winnipeg coaching staff.

The Winnipeg franchise, which is still unnamed, will play exhibition games in Saskatoon March 23 and at the MTS Centre April 1.

Today's Free Press also had a blurb:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/other/story/3890256p-4498993c.html

Open soccer tryouts

DUE to overwhelming public response and interest, the Winnipeg franchise of the Canadian Major Indoor Soccer League will operate an open tryout on Saturday only, from 6-9 a.m., at the Coverall Indoor Centre, Headingley. The team originally intended to go with only an invitational tryout.

All players can attend for free, register and demonstrate their abilities in front of the Winnipeg coaching staff. The tryout will consist of a fitness test and small-sided games. Each player should bring appropriate indoor equipment.

Looking at the bios on the league site, it doesn't look like any of them actually have enough money of their own to invest. I guess that's why they've set-up the schedule as they have so they can "prove" it works and get investors on board.

Yes, well that is part of the problem. They don't have much money. They are already scrambling to recoup their investment and are simply paying the same local guys what they would often get paid by some of the top amateur clubs in Winnipeg. Except now they are calling it professional, what a joke.

This is nothing more than a quick money grab by some businessmen and nothing to do with developing/establishing professional soccer.

Just bumped into another ex-Fury player tonight, and heard much the same. The best players in Winnipeg are not going to be involved..., blah,blah. This individual stated much the same as I have, that anyone can watch these players play indoor for free on any given night.

I'm thinking they're only really aiming at going the semi-pro route anyway... you really can't do it any other way with the limited number of games they're playing. I doubt they're going to be going into these large venues full time, I suppose they're just doing it this time around to look legit and see if maybe bigger things are possible.

I think they're future is best sticking to smaller venues like the Northlands Agricom here in Edmonton. Start small, very hand to mouth. If it works, salaries and scope may increase, but for now to try to be anything more than a fringe sport is an awful risky proposition. Play your games, draw your few hundred, and figure out a way to work within those cash flows.

I'd sooner see a small scale venture try to make a go of it, and maybe slowly grow, then another league pretend they're something they're not and end up just another very public pro soccer train wreck.

I'm thinking they're only really aiming at going the semi-pro route anyway... you really can't do it any other way with the limited number of games they're playing. I doubt they're going to be going into these large venues full time, I suppose they're just doing it this time around to look legit and see if maybe bigger things are possible.

I think they're future is best sticking to smaller venues like the Northlands Agricom here in Edmonton. Start small, very hand to mouth. If it works, salaries and scope may increase, but for now to try to be anything more than a fringe sport is an awful risky proposition. Play your games, draw your few hundred, and figure out a way to work within those cash flows.

I'd sooner see a small scale venture try to make a go of it, and maybe slowly grow, then another league pretend they're something they're not and end up just another very public pro soccer train wreck.

Hey WF, do you remember about 5-6 years ago, someone approached me to write an article on exactly this type of setup? You might not want to remember.

Resulted in quite some intimidation aimed my way.

Hey WF, do you remember about 5-6 years ago, someone approached me to write an article on exactly this type of setup? You might not want to remember.

Resulted in quite some intimidation aimed my way.

Rumour has it that the owner in Winnipeg is already starting to hit the panic button, and trying to sell a minority interest in the club.

Apparently the team is called the Winnipeg Alliance, but the press don't appear interested in attending a press conference.

I spoke to a former member of the Winnipeg Fury, and he told me that none of the best players in town will be on this team.

The sooner this folds, the better......

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The sooner this folds, the better......

With friends (and fans) like you... :D

Why aren't these players playing?

And I think you made a comment about all the players are locals or something along those lines. Well to be fair, even if a USL D1 team came to Winnipeg, you would expect most of the players to be from the province would you not? You would have maybe 2-3 from the rest of Canada and 2-3 "internationals" (meaning Middle Eastern and African refugees who live in Winnipeg now).

Just got this off the drillers website. This will be a one and done league.

GET YOUR TICKETS TO THE MARCH 18 GAME!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tickets are general admission. Prices includes service charges imposed by Northlands, Ticketmaster and the City of Edmonton .

Adults - $30.50

Youths (16 and under) - $8.75

Seniors - $8.75

Tickets on sale as of Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at all Ticketmaster locations. Tickets are also available through Ticketmaster's charge-by-phone and on-line services at www.ticketmaster.ca (Additional charges will be added by Ticketmaster for phone or on-line orders).

Calgary's tickets are $19.95 (which I think is a bit steep, to begin with).

Edmonton's are $30.50????? What's up with that?

Who in their right mind is going to pay that to see the locals that they can see for free every week play the neighbouring city's locals who get seen for free every week?

For former England/Scotland/Manchester Utd./Liverpool greats, sure. But to spend three times more per match than it cost to see a professional USL matchup, that's asking a bit much.

Why aren't these players playing?

And I think you made a comment about all the players are locals or something along those lines. Well to be fair, even if a USL D1 team came to Winnipeg, you would expect most of the players to be from the province would you not? You would have maybe 2-3 from the rest of Canada and 2-3 "internationals" (meaning Middle Eastern and African refugees who live in Winnipeg now).

Why aren't these players playing ? For a number of reasons, primarily because this new organization is in a state of chaos.

There is simply no way Winnipeg could compete in the USL First Division with a majority of players from Winnipeg. That was demonstrated during the CSL with the Fury.

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

Calgary's tickets are $19.95 (which I think is a bit steep, to begin with).

Edmonton's are $30.50????? What's up with that?

Who in their right mind is going to pay that to see the locals that they can see for free every week play the neighbouring city's locals who get seen for free every week?

For former England/Scotland/Manchester Utd./Liverpool greats, sure. But to spend three times more per match than it cost to see a professional USL matchup, that's asking a bit much.

It's exactly the same in Winnipeg. $20 to watch local players (that aren't even the best in Winnipeg), when you can watch these same players any week of the year playing for free, either indoor or outdoor.

As stated earlier, this is nothing more than some businessmen trying to make a quick buck, and has nothing to do with establishing professional soccer in the Prairies.

I could post more dirt on the attempt in Winnipeg, but what is the point.

Hopefully this farce will end quickly.......

It's exactly the same in Winnipeg. $20 to watch local players (that aren't even the best in Winnipeg), when you can watch these same players any week of the year playing for free, either indoor or outdoor.

As stated earlier, this is nothing more than some businessmen trying to make a quick buck, and has nothing to do with establishing professional soccer in the Prairies.

I could post more dirt on the attempt in Winnipeg, but what is the point.

Hopefully this farce will end quickly.......

What type of cash grab are we talking about? Although tickets are expensive, it will probably take a crowd of 4,000 and upwards to cover the cost of renting the MTS Centre.

I agree that all of the best players in the province are not playing, but only 3 come to mind. The rest of the team is made up of the remaining top players. Frankly, this is quite exciting as the best players from the various teams have not been put together en masse since 1987.

When, in your opinion, will it be worthwhile to spend a measly $20 on supporting soccer in Winnipeg.

If you can provide more details as to why this is a joke, a money grab, and not worth supporting, I would be glad to hear them (assuming they are truthful and not simply defamatory).

quote:Originally posted by curtwpg

I agree that all of the best players in the province are not playing, but only 3 come to mind. The rest of the team is made up of the remaining top players. Frankly, this is quite exciting as the best players from the various teams have not been put together en masse since 1987.

When, in your opinion, will it be worthwhile to spend a measly $20 on supporting soccer in Winnipeg.

Firstly, this is indoor and not soccer. Let's not get these two different sports confused.

I was a season-ticket holder of the Winnipeg Fury and would gladly support any viable soccer experiment in Winnipeg (IMHO, this is neither viable, nor soccer).

Why would I spend $20 to watch local players that play for zero on a weekly basis throughout the year ? And to top it all off, I'm getting hosed and not watching soccer.

Why would they charge more money for local players that play for free every week, than I can attend a USL First Division match ? I can attend MLS matches cheaper than $20 a game, and they are actually playing soccer.

Firstly, this is indoor and not soccer. Let's not get these two different sports confused.

Why would I spend $20 to watch local players that play for zero on a weekly basis throughout the year ? And to top it all off, I'm getting hosed and not watching soccer.

Why would they charge more money for local players that play for free every week, than I can attend a USL First Division match ? I can attend MLS matches cheaper than $20 a game, and they are actually playing soccer.

Fury,

While I can't comment on your distaste for indoor soccer (I'm not a fan either), I disagree on your comments related to paying to watch local players etc. By that same argument, didn't a number of local players play for your favorite club, the Winnipeg Fury in their inaugural season? Technically, weren't they all amateurs the year prior to the CSL starting up? I'm thinking of players like Paul Clarke, Desi Clarke, Wade Gibson, Kevin Methot, Marcello Paolucci, Neil Munroe, Tony Nocita (the list goes on). They all played for clubs like Lucania, Germania, Ital Inter, Thistle, etc.

What's the difference now? Do we not have talented players capable of playing at a higher level just as we did way back when? In fact, I remember that one of the biggest criticisms of the Fury management was that they always went out of their way to bring in players from out of town at the expense of local players who were equally, if not more capable of playing for the Fury. While I agree that there are two to three players who clearly should be on this Winnipeg team who 'currently' are not part of the pool of players considered, I don't think this situation is any different than years ago when the Fury started up.

Are they asking the sames questions in Alberta? Why should anyone pay to watch Edmonton play Calgary when they can go watch the Green and Gold play the Callies in the AMSL in the summer for free?

Again, whether you want to watch indoor soccer or not is not what I'm questioning.

Cheers.

quote:Originally posted by wpgscrfan

Fury,

While I can't comment on your distaste for indoor soccer (I'm not a fan either), I disagree on your comments related to paying to watch local players etc. By that same argument, didn't a number of local players play for your favorite club, the Winnipeg Fury in their inaugural season? Technically, weren't they all amateurs the year prior to the CSL starting up? I'm thinking of players like Paul Clarke, Desi Clarke, Wade Gibson, Kevin Methot, Marcello Paolucci, Neil Munroe, Tony Nocita (the list goes on). They all played for clubs like Lucania, Germania, Ital Inter, Thistle, etc.

What's the difference now? Do we not have talented players capable of playing at a higher level just as we did way back when? In fact, I remember that one of the biggest criticisms of the Fury management was that they always went out of their way to bring in players from out of town at the expense of local players who were equally, if not more capable of playing for the Fury. While I agree that there are two to three players who clearly should be on this Winnipeg team who 'currently' are not part of the pool of players considered, I don't think this situation is any different than years ago when the Fury started up.

Are they asking the sames questions in Alberta? Why should anyone pay to watch Edmonton play Calgary when they can go watch the Green and Gold play the Callies in the AMSL in the summer for free?

Again, whether you want to watch indoor soccer or not is not what I'm questioning.

Cheers.

I don't think you should be trying to confuse the issue of the Winnipeg Fury starting in the CSL, to this latest indoor venture. They are two completely different sports.

As a former season-ticket holder of the Winnipeg Fury, I certainly was not complaining when the Fury brought in more talented Canadian players to the squad. Winnipeg in the early years was clearly out of it's league on the field. The vast majority of local players that donned the Fury jersey simply could not compete with the best in Canada. As long as the players were Canadian, it did not bother me where they came from. And it's no surprise that when the Fury won the CSL Championship in 1992, there were only a few local players that saw the field (and that was after 6 years of development at the higher level).

Furthermore, as a soccer supporter, and as someone that would gladly buy multiple season tickets (as I did with the Fury) whether I want to watch indoor soccer is the question. I am a soccer fan and would gladly support any professional soccer venture in Winnipeg. Obviously this is not soccer, and the Winnipeg Fury did not charge ticket prices that were more expensive than the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL.

Although this indoor venture may not be the ideal soccer venture for Winnipeg, it might very well be used as a gauge of Winnipegger's enthusiasm for higher level soccer altogether (indoor and out).

For example, if 4,000-5,000 people show up to watch indoor soccer, local entrepreneurs, or non-local for that matter, may say: "there may be a market for soccer (indoor and/or outdoor) in this town - I'm going to consider investing." Alternatively, if 1,000 people show up this would also send a message; a negative one.

In the big picture, this is an opportunity for the Winnipeg soccer community to come together to show an interest in professional soccer in Winnipeg. To dismiss this as a money grab (which is laughable considering the cost to rent the MTS Centre) and not outdoor soccer is to not see the forest for the trees.

Quite simply, $20 is a pittance for most people and is even more irrelevant when one considers the message we will send if we don't support an attempt to, once again, bring pro soccer to the city.

Archived