Braz Sutton Gervais selected for Jamaica match !

Derosario23

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Absent from this discussion is the question of who would have to sit out or be excluded in order to make room for these players. Yes I know that we are certainly not stacked with an abundance of riches at all the position realtive to many of the well known international sides. But our keepers have not allowed a goal in over a year. The last time a goal was conceded was against Spain in a 2-1 loss.

Our current keepers keep delivering clean sheets but in Lars last game we lost 4-1 to portugal and there were some weak goals as I recall. We have never allowed more than two goals since that time.

In regards to Nsaliwa's absence. If there has be a problem for canada in the last year and a half or so, its the same as usual; Goal scoring. And, I don't see how Nsaliwa's inclusion addresses this problem. The same question could be asked again. Who should sit or be exluded from the squad to make room for Nsaliwa.

As far as the keepers go we may have not allowed a goal in a year but have also only played 4 games against Austria, USA B-team, Jamaica B-team and Luxembourg, ie. one mid level soccer team, two B teams and a soccer minnow. Not exactly high quality opposition. Our keepers did generally do well but our defence looked pretty shaky. The lack of scoring had a lot to do with our opposition, even Austria is not a very offensively gifted team.

As far as dropping players out, that is part of being an international player, sometimes getting selected and sometimes not. Noone is saying Lars and Nsaliwa should be gifted a starting position ala Watson and Onstad with Yallop. They should however be given a chance to show what they can do and judged on their performance. Noone should be upset about not being called for some friendly matches when there are others in competition for your spot because that is part of being a professional athlete.

I wouldn't quite call that US squad that we played against in San Diego, a B team.

Here's the squad for that match:

Hejduk ( Klien 46), Pearce, Dempsey, Donovan, Ching, Conrad, Olsen (Zavagnin 46), Wolff (Rolfe 73), Twellman (E Johnson 56 (Adu 73)), Pope, Reis

The World cup

HOWARD,(GK)ALBRIGHT,BOCANEGRA,MASTROENI,O'BRIEN,CHERUNDOLO,LEWIS,

DEMPSEY,JOHNSON,REYNA,CHING,BERHALTER,CONRAD,OLSEN,CONVEY,WOLFF,

BEASLEY,KELLER(GK),HAHNEMANN(GK),MC BRIDE,DONOVAN,ONYEWU,POPE,

I wouldn't quite call that US squad that we played against in San Diego, a B team.

Here's the squad for that match:

Hejduk ( Klien 46), Pearce, Dempsey, Donovan, Ching, Conrad, Olsen (Zavagnin 46), Wolff (Rolfe 73), Twellman (E Johnson 56 (Adu 73)), Pope, Reis

The World cup

HOWARD,(GK)ALBRIGHT,BOCANEGRA,MASTROENI,O'BRIEN,CHERUNDOLO,LEWIS,

DEMPSEY,JOHNSON,REYNA,CHING,BERHALTER,CONRAD,OLSEN,CONVEY,WOLFF,

BEASLEY,KELLER(GK),HAHNEMANN(GK),MC BRIDE,DONOVAN,ONYEWU,POPE,

Go look at the World Cup game summeries and see how many of those players in this game who made the World Cup team actually made the pitch in the WC and how many sat on the bench. The only player from the team we played who played in all 3 WC games was Donovan (and that was probably a mistake). Pope and Dempsey played in 2 matches. The rest mostly sat on the bench or made brief substitute appearances. It was a B-team, mostly subs or perspective players with a couple of MLS A-team players. This lineup was totally incomparable with any of the three lineups fielded by the US in the World Cup. To be fair we also fielded a B-team but as much as I think B-team friendlies serve their purpose I don't think one should draw many conclusions from them.

If there are only two to three regular starters on a team you are playing that is not an A-team. Maybe you could call it a A-B team but it was an A-B team in which the mix was heavily weighted towards the B-team. Don't forget that World Cup squads are larger than usual national team squads which is why so many of the B-team guys made the team. In addition, hardly anyone on the board if anyone at all saw this game so I don't think we can draw many conclusions about how well anyone played. I fail to see how this result and the others 3 can be used as a justification not to call Lars or Nsaliwa. That is what friendlies are for, to try out different players.

I just don't understand why they aren't calling Hirschfeld, we need an explanation about this especially if we are gonna call Kenny.

I think it's the right time to call a lot of different players, 2 years away from the beginning of the qualifications. Right now it seems that we'll have a very similar team to what we saw 3 weeks ago.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Sutton and Kenny ( in the opinion of the coaches) are just better keepers than Lars? [:0]

No because in order to fairly decide who the better keeper is you actually have to watch them all play. It has been 18 months since we or our coaches have seen Lars play for Canada and 18 months in which he has had significant success professionally. I guess we will have to wait for Hungary to know for sure if he is being or excluded by the coach or does not want to play. We do know that Lars was not very impressed with Yallop as a coach and as Yallop was a coach who played his buddies and yes men this probably had a lot to do with Lars not being called for a long time under Yallop.

I actually find this thread quite amusing. Now people are scrambling around "why wasnt Lars picked, I dont understand it", then just saying "well he will be picked for the next game", then when he is not saying again "well he will be picked for the next game". The higher truth is what I knew for almost 2 years now, the conspiracy set in place to exclude Lars from Canadian Soccer starting in early 2004 with gradual demotion and starting Onstad instead of Lars at the WCQ and keeping with that even with Onstad performing lamely, and gradual diminshment in games; and then commencing early in 2005 with permanent exclusion from any games(minus a lowly game vs Luxemburg while they knew Lars was injured anyway).

Yet the same individuals who claimed that was crazy talk are now scrambling confused "why is Lars still not being called", "will he be called for the next game". It is so laughable nobody can figure out what I figured out almost 3 years ago, and knew for certain almost 2 years.

The same things will be said "oh I am surprise, but there must be a reason I dont know about", "I guess we will see him at the next game". Then the mass confusion by those that cant see the obvious that I saw long ago. Such obvliousness to reality, LOL! [8)]

Of course the MNT is a mess and politics compose the lineup at most decisions, not just goalkeeping. It is such a mess it is actually amusing to watch. I wonder if they formed a team of "Canadian outcasts", players who are either never(Lars)or rarely called to play for Canada vs the "CSA boys" who would win the series? I would put some money on the outcasts winning. :D

wildboy26, the difference between you and other people on this board calling for Lars' inclusion is the way they are going about it.

You're being, for lack of a better term, an ass about it, gloating and making stupid bets and essentially fellating yourself every time Lars doesn't get called up, while real posters like Grizzly are questioning the validity of not calling up Lars without insulting other board members in the process.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

we are getting increasing evidence to suggest that Lars and Nsaliwa simply do not want to play for Canada.

What a stupid comment. So if you are not wanted by your country, and are almost never asked, as is the case with the 2 players you referred to, you "simply do not want to play for Canada"? Perhaps you think players that are not wanted by their country and are very rarely or never asked should show up uninvited, beg the coach to hold their own little trial, and bring some pom poms to be the cheerleader if it does not work out.

It is stupid because if you are almost never asked to games then you cant say there is mounting evidence the players are just not interested in playing. If they are not wanted how can they show they are not interested, they just arent wanted period. Like I said is the logic they should show up at the games uninvited and beg for a trial. Sorry that is crazy.

quote:Originally posted by wildboy26

It is stupid because if you are almost never asked to games then you cant say there is mounting evidence the players are just not interested in playing. If they are not wanted how can they show they are not interested, they just arent wanted period. Like I said is the logic they should show up at the games uninvited and beg for a trial. Sorry that is crazy.

(Since I haven't had a good rant in ages...)

Crazy sure, but if Lars is interested in international football right now he has plenty of opportunity to express as much in the press. Jim Brennan (just as an example) expressed an interest in the English press after he fell off Planet Frank Yallop, and low and behold, JB made his way back into Canada's lineup. Lars I'm sure has plenty of opportunity to do the same.

But so far what have we heard from Lars? Dick all.

Doesn't have to be a prick about it but he can more or less call Hart out on this one. Put it out there in the print media or whatever and leave the ball in Hart's court.

Sometimes when the lines of communication have been cut talking through the media is a vital 1st step.

We get this blah, blah, blahing about being commited to playing for Canada. Using players who are "commited to playing for Canada". If he/she/it won't come out everytime when requested they aren't "commited to playing for Canada" so call someone who is and hope that eventualy familiarity trumps quality.

Now that's crazy.

It doesn't recognize the real world where players, for 500 different reasons can't make ever single call up. Doesn't mean they aren't "commited to playing for Canada". It just means they live in a world were the sky is blue and things sometimes are complicated.

Can't say anything about Lars quality these days. Don't know. It's been a long time since the Portugal match (were he was rank I must add). But I can speculate, and if he's back on form (as reports suggest) and matured a little (which is to be expected) I can easily imagine him taking Sutton's #1 spot if allowed the opportunity.

Peace, love and understanding

Rant out.

Archived