Carlo Corazzin

PSG

Guest Jeffery S.

Anyone who has represented Canada deserves my total respect, and I won't criticize or sneer or backstab like a cowardly wimp once they have left our fold, as they are no longer responsible for making things work for us. And since any individual failure has to be the failure of his coach and teammates as well, the only thing any player who has played for CAnada deserves is a bit of respect, even if, given certain performances, that means having to shut up and not say anything at all.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Anyone who has represented Canada deserves my total respect, and I won't criticize or sneer or backstab like a cowardly wimp once they have left our fold, as they are no longer responsible for making things work for us. And since any individual failure has to be the failure of his coach and teammates as well, the only thing any player who has played for CAnada deserves is a bit of respect, even if, given certain performances, that means having to shut up and not say anything at all.

Sure, Carlo had a superb Gold-Cup and was a reliable National Team Player in his time.

But unfortunately you are remembered more for what you did at the end of your career. EX: Zidane in World Cup 2006, and Mark Messier for the Canucks.

And Carlo will be remembered as a porker that shoudn't of played in the last Qualifiers!!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Actually I have to agree with Jefferey on this one, Carlo should get a bit more respect on this board. He was a good international for us and it wasn't his fault that Yallop called and played him when he was way past his prime.

Here here...a ton of the game's greats put on weight and played past their prime, often at the request of others, but that doesn't put too much tarnish on their previous accomplishments. Let's face it, Carlo did a lot of great things for Canadian soccer, especially at the international level.

Yes you're all right. Carlo deserves more respect; he always played

his best for Canada and exceeded expectations in the GC2000. That

bicycle kick against Costa Rica (1-1) made it to the highlight reel.

And yes he was amazing as a young striker for the Winnipeg Fury in

their 1992 Mita Cup win.

I think many of us were having a bit of fun, relating to the final

game in WCQ 2003 where he played way beyond his prime. I even recall

Canso and I having a dispute on this board regarding his merits.

Carlo deserve better; please consider my earlier comments as

unfortunate.

Guest Jeffery S.

If the national team coach asks you to play to help the team, you go if you can. Carlo did. He is also the person who helped pave the way for our biggest international win. If I mention that to anyone in the soccer world they take notice and respect our Gold Cup win, and if I would happen to say it was Corazzin who led our scoring, they would likely be respectful as well. So odd that some of our own have a different point of view.

I think this is different from lashing out at a player who makes a huge blunder that costs us, or one who does not work as hard for us as for his club, or a player who is clearly a bad apple (and we hear only rumours about these types: I cannot honestly say that this or that player past or present in the national program was so problematic that it cost us results; would anyone here like to dare do that?). It is different if you think a certain player should not be starting, and you list his defects and another's virtues. Or if you have your favourites and are bothered they are not playing.

But once they are gone they are part of our history, as humble as it gets, and I think we should respect them. I know it is tough, I often laugh about certain players who went through Barça and were a mess for us, or just absurd signings, but usually those are players associated with a time without winning anything, so we laugh and even mock a bit in function of the results we got out of them. It is like laughing at sad selves.

I think this is a different sort of case.

Just want to say I have never been much of a Corazzin fan.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

goddamn, he wasnt that fat. its not like he missed a sitter because his belly got in the way. that game was long gone by that time anyway. yallop was the fool, not carlo. Harts latest selection was better than anything yallop ever put together, thats pretty pathetic.

Frank was never able to pull a squad together like Hart did for the Jamaica friendly. So cudos to Coach Stephen for that.

As for Carlo, I agree that he let himself go, and that he is a great role model for Jason Jordan in that department, but he was an aging athlete, and that happens. What cannot be disputed is his showing up for Canada and giving his absolute all(and I agree that his selection for the last WCQ was not his fault, but he answered the bell). He wore the red and white with pride, and he should be thanked for that.

On the other hand, his call up may not have been so bad. His performance against Sunderland proved he was a gamer. In fact, if my memory serves me correct, Mick McCarthy actually singled out Carlo as the reason for the loss. Just a thought.

That being said, I'm not sure where he is playing/living. Although I'm not in Vancouver anymore, it would be nice to see him in the VMSL this season, as I'm sure he is still capable of playing in that league, especially considering some of the players that do.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

goddamn, he wasnt that fat. its not like he missed a sitter because his belly got in the way. that game was long gone by that time anyway. yallop was the fool, not carlo. Harts latest selection was better than anything yallop ever put together, thats pretty pathetic.

And speaking of "fat" or "letting oneself go", how about a teenager named Wyn Belotte who was overweight and out of shape going into qualifiers in NOrth Carolina and basically took himself out of WYCup picture because of it. The kid was 19 and thought he was on top of the world. Compare that to a thirty-something trying to keep his weight down after a fifteen year pro career. Get some perspective guys.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

And speaking of "fat" or "letting oneself go", how about a teenager named Wyn Belotte who was overweight and out of shape going into qualifiers in NOrth Carolina and basically took himself out of WYCup picture because of it. The kid was 19 and thought he was on top of the world. Compare that to a thirty-something trying to keep his weight down after a fifteen year pro career. Get some perspective guys.

A certain Diego Maradonna was quite the porker through his playing days too, N'est pas?