FIFA Rankings - July [R]

Are the ranking bunk?

For many teams...likely. For Canada...no, I think it's about right.

As others have stated, this is great news for Canada. Draws in tournaments and work permits aside, we won't have to read that Canada is ranked 80-whatever in the world between this small, poor country and this small, poor country again anytime soon. The fact that the old FIFA ranking were bunk and that Canada wasn't really the 80-whatever best team in the world was lost to a casual observer. The media picked up on the only think it had to pick up on...the actual rankings and reported what they were. We all knew they weren't right, but sounded like crackpots when defending the team..."no, really, I swear, we aren't that bad. Really. Trust me. We beat Switzerland once, you know."

I've always said that we need to improve that ranking, regardless of whether we thought the system was fair or not. A higher ranking provides all the pre-mentioned on-the-pitch advantages and it provides a bunch of R-E-S-P-E-C-T advantages too.

It's a new WC cycle. We can forget phantom penalties and AWOL managers and focus on the positives for a while. This is one of them. It will be Gold Cup time soon enough and we will have something to bitch about.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Are the ranking bunk?

As others have stated, this is great news for Canada. Draws in tournaments and work permits aside, we won't have to read that Canada is ranked 80-whatever in the world between this small, poor country and this small, poor country again anytime soon. The fact that the old FIFA ranking were bunk and that Canada wasn't really the 80-whatever best team in the world was lost to a casual observer. The media picked up on the only think it had to pick up on...the actual rankings and reported what they were. We all knew they weren't right, but sounded like crackpots when defending the team..."no, really, I swear, we aren't that bad. Really. Trust me. We beat Switzerland once, you know."

I've always said that we need to improve that ranking, regardless of whether we thought the system was fair or not. A higher ranking provides all the pre-mentioned on-the-pitch advantages and it provides a bunch of R-E-S-P-E-C-T advantages too.

Exactly what I feel. Public perception is much better for 54 than 83. We look like we're in the same ballpark. We can actually see the pot of gold (way off in the distance). Before, others had to tell us about it.

It sure looks better in print too!

db

Just wanted to add that the following CP report that this is Canada's highest ranking is incorrect. Canada was 40th in January 1997.

Source

Canada best-ever 54th in FIFA ranks

Jul. 12, 2006. 02:52 PM

ZURICH, Switzerland (CP-AP) — Canada jumped a whopping 29 spots in FIFA's redesigned world soccer rankings to a best-ever 54th place.

Brazil remained No. 1 with World Cup champion Italy moving up to No. 2 in the rankings released Wednesday.

Canada made up huge ground on its May ranking of 83rd without playing a single game in the three-month span and without having an entry in the World Cup.

But Kevan Pipe, the Canadian Soccer Association's deputy chief operating officer, wasn't overly thrilled by the news.

"We've always said we didn't believe we were an 83rd-ranked team, neither do we know we're a top-10 team, but we always felt we were in that area of 50-ish," Pipe said in a phone interview from Ottawa. "So this kind of reaffirms where we thought. At the same time, we've just improved 29 spots overnight, no-one's excited by this, life hasn't changed."

Canada is sandwiched between No. 53 Guatemala and 54th-ranked Angola, which played in the World Cup.

The team's previous best was No. 55 in 2000 when Canada won the Gold Cup and earned a berth in the Confederations Cup.

"We never got terribly excited when we were improving in the rankings, and we were never terribly bothered when we were not improving in the rankings," said Pipe. "It's mainly a statistician's dream."

Under the new ranking system, which changes the criteria for rating the world's top teams, Argentina moved into third place with France No. 4 and England No. 5.

Except for Brazil, the other top teams all moved up several places from the rankings published before the World Cup. Italy improved 10 places, Argentina six, France four and England improved five.

Rounding out the top 10 were: the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Germany and the Czech Republic.

The new system takes into account games played over the last four years instead of the last eight. It also changes the weighting system, with more importance given to World Cup games vs. friendly games. Regional strength is also considered, as are opponents, goals scored and conceded, and home or away venues.

The United States and Mexico were two of the biggest losers.

The United States, knocked out in the first round of the World Cup, dropped from No. 5 to 16. Mexico, which reached the second round, fell from No. 4 to 18.

The United States reached No. 4 in FIFA's April ranking, which drew attention to the inequity in FIFA's old ranking system.

Both teams play in CONCACAF — the North American and Caribbean region — which is one of world soccer's weakest areas.

Making up the second 10 in the rankings were: Nigeria, Cameroon, Switzerland, Uruguay, Ukraine, United States, Denmark, Mexico, Paraguay and Ivory Coast.

Germany, which finished third in the World Cup and was the host nation, moved up 10 spots from 19 to No. 9. Germany suffered under the old system because, as host nation, it played no qualifying games.

Ukraine was another big mover, jumping 30 places to 15 thanks to its quarter-final appearance. Ghana, which reached the second round, also took a big jump going from 48 to 25.

Just wanted to add that the following CP report that this is Canada's highest ranking is incorrect. Canada was 40th in January 1997.

Source

Canada best-ever 54th in FIFA ranks

Jul. 12, 2006. 02:52 PM

ZURICH, Switzerland (CP-AP) — Canada jumped a whopping 29 spots in FIFA's redesigned world soccer rankings to a best-ever 54th place.

Brazil remained No. 1 with World Cup champion Italy moving up to No. 2 in the rankings released Wednesday.

Canada made up huge ground on its May ranking of 83rd without playing a single game in the three-month span and without having an entry in the World Cup.

But Kevan Pipe, the Canadian Soccer Association's deputy chief operating officer, wasn't overly thrilled by the news.

"We've always said we didn't believe we were an 83rd-ranked team, neither do we know we're a top-10 team, but we always felt we were in that area of 50-ish," Pipe said in a phone interview from Ottawa. "So this kind of reaffirms where we thought. At the same time, we've just improved 29 spots overnight, no-one's excited by this, life hasn't changed."

Canada is sandwiched between No. 53 Guatemala and 54th-ranked Angola, which played in the World Cup.

The team's previous best was No. 55 in 2000 when Canada won the Gold Cup and earned a berth in the Confederations Cup.

"We never got terribly excited when we were improving in the rankings, and we were never terribly bothered when we were not improving in the rankings," said Pipe. "It's mainly a statistician's dream."

Under the new ranking system, which changes the criteria for rating the world's top teams, Argentina moved into third place with France No. 4 and England No. 5.

Except for Brazil, the other top teams all moved up several places from the rankings published before the World Cup. Italy improved 10 places, Argentina six, France four and England improved five.

Rounding out the top 10 were: the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Germany and the Czech Republic.

The new system takes into account games played over the last four years instead of the last eight. It also changes the weighting system, with more importance given to World Cup games vs. friendly games. Regional strength is also considered, as are opponents, goals scored and conceded, and home or away venues.

The United States and Mexico were two of the biggest losers.

The United States, knocked out in the first round of the World Cup, dropped from No. 5 to 16. Mexico, which reached the second round, fell from No. 4 to 18.

The United States reached No. 4 in FIFA's April ranking, which drew attention to the inequity in FIFA's old ranking system.

Both teams play in CONCACAF — the North American and Caribbean region — which is one of world soccer's weakest areas.

Making up the second 10 in the rankings were: Nigeria, Cameroon, Switzerland, Uruguay, Ukraine, United States, Denmark, Mexico, Paraguay and Ivory Coast.

Germany, which finished third in the World Cup and was the host nation, moved up 10 spots from 19 to No. 9. Germany suffered under the old system because, as host nation, it played no qualifying games.

Ukraine was another big mover, jumping 30 places to 15 thanks to its quarter-final appearance. Ghana, which reached the second round, also took a big jump going from 48 to 25.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Are the ranking bunk?

As others have stated, this is great news for Canada. Draws in tournaments and work permits aside, we won't have to read that Canada is ranked 80-whatever in the world between this small, poor country and this small, poor country again anytime soon. The fact that the old FIFA ranking were bunk and that Canada wasn't really the 80-whatever best team in the world was lost to a casual observer. The media picked up on the only think it had to pick up on...the actual rankings andreported what they were. We all knew they weren't right, but sounded like crackpots when defending the team..."no, really, I swear, we aren't that bad. Really. Trust me. We beat Switzerland once, you know."

It's a new WC cycle. We can forget phantom penalties and AWOL managers and focus on the positives for a while. This is one of them. It will be Gold Cup time soon enough and we will have something to bitch about.

This actually like waking up next to a hot chick and thinking "how the FCK did I get this lucky?"

Nothing matters but getting to the show and earning respect. We haven't earned it in over 30 years. And we're no where near getting to 2010.

And Angola would rip us a new asshole if we played them. AND if this is any indication of how to get into the top 10, I say lets never play a game ever again.

quote:Originally posted by Breakwood

Does anyone else find it odd that Canada is ahead of South Korea? Somehow I can't see us beating Asia's best team.

We did beat them. It was for the third place match at the 2001 Gold Cup. I remember going back to check the team they fielded for that game just after the 2002 WC when they made it to the semis. The sqaud wasn't too dissimilar to their eventual WC squad.

I don't think its that far fetched to think that we can give a very good account of ourselves against the best asian sides. But on the other, the real "head scatcher" has to be some of those UEFA sides that are ranked just below us or even just ahead of us.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Guinea looked pretty strong at the ANC and made the second round.

Guinea and Equitorial Guinea are two different countries I think. The former made Africas' group phase, but the latter didnt. According to my World Soccer mag, Eq. Guinea won some regional tournament a while back wich might help explain it.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Is it just me, or is almost everybody missing the not so fine print that says that the only results that matter are over the past four years?

I haven't missed that at all, that's why I am so surprised we jumped up 29 spots, as the Gold Cup win of 2000 no longer gives us any points.

I'm confused as well. I guess the other teams did crappier than this:

244 October 15, 2002 Scotland Friendly Loss 1:3 Edinburgh, Scotland

245 January 18, 2003 USA Friendly Loss 0:4 Ft. Lauderdale, USA

246 February 12, 2003 Libya Friendly Win 4:2 Tripoli, Libya

247 March 29, 2003 Estonia Friendly Loss 1:2 Tallinn, Estonia

248 June 1, 2003 Germany Friendly Loss 1:4 Wolfsburg, Germany

249 July 12, 2003 Costa Rica Gold Cup Win 1:0 Foxboro, USA

250 July 14, 2003 Cuba Gold Cup Loss 0:2 Foxboro, USA

251 October 11, 2003 Finland Friendly Loss 2:3 Tampere, Finland

252 November 15, 2003 Czech Republic Friendly Loss 1:5 Teplice, Czech Republic

253 November 18, 2003 Ireland Friendly Loss 0:3 Dublin, Ireland

254 January 18, 2004 Barbados Friendly Win 1:0 Bridgetown, Barbados

255 May 30, 2004 Wales Friendly Loss 0:1 Wrexham, Wales

256 June 13, 2004 Belize World Cup Qualifier Win 4:0 Kingston, Ontario

257 June 16, 2004 Belize World Cup Qualifier Win 4:0 Kingston, Ontario

258 August 18, 2004 Guatemala World Cup Qualifier Loss 0:2 Burnaby, BC

259 September 4, 2004 Honduras World Cup Qualifier Draw 1:1 Edmonton, Alberta

260 September 8, 2004 Costa Rica World Cup Qualifier Loss 0:1 San Jose, Costa Rica

261 October 9, 2004 Honduras World Cup Qualifier Draw 1:1 San Pedro Sula, Honduras

262 October 13, 2004 Costa Rica World Cup Qualifier Loss 1:3 Burnaby, BC

263 November 17, 2004 Guatemala World Cup Qualifier Win 1:0 Guatemala City, Guatemala

264 February 9, 2005 North. Ireland Friendly Win 1:0 Belfast, Northern Ireland

265 March 26, 2005 Portugal Friendly Loss 1:4 Barcelos, Portugal

266 July 2, 2005 Honduras Friendly Loss 1:2 Burnaby, BC

267 July 7, 2005 Costa Rica Gold Cup Loss 0:1 Seattle, USA

268 July 9, 2005 USA Gold Cup Loss 0:2 Seattle, USA

269 July 12, 2005 Cuba Gold Cup Win 2:1 Boston, MA

270 September 3, 2005 Spain Friendly Loss 2:1 Santander, Spain

271 November 16, 2005 Luxembourg Friendly Win 1:0 Hesperange, Luxembourg

272 22-Jan-2006 USA Friendly Draw 0:0 San Diego, CA

I was working when a worker told me we were 54th i said not possible we haven' played in months. This just makes us look better for the new fans coming to the jamaica game. I can finally flaunt about something even though its a bit generouse but ill take it.

By the way we should rank higher than honduras seeing as though they like faking when someone scores.Hope fifa looks into that!

Archived